New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Cursed armor vs. ceremorphosis

Firstly, I'm well aware that I'm in over my head.

Secondly, I've done a bunch of research, but haven't read anything that quite resembles this scenario. I'll take just about any advice into consideration.

The short of it is a character who had previously been infected with a larval illithid has also donned a full set of cursed plate armor that cannot be removed, including a helmet with sealed faceplate. The curse further stipulates that the wearer will starve unless they bathe in the blood of their fallen enemies.

So, hypothetically, does the mindflayer thwart the curse by becoming a different being? Does it die in agony when it's morphing head and tentacles become horrifyingly trapped inside the helm? Or, can the wearer use the curse to stave off the parasite's consumption? Could they choose to starve to death to avoid transforming into a hideous monster? Is there even a remote possibility of some kind of forced symbiosis?

There are a few other, seemingly less likely ideas that came up, but my intent is to stay close to established lore, and I'm still learning. Ultimately, it's a matter of DM discretion, but it would be nice to have something established to back up appeals.

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Cursed armor vs. ceremorphosis

How did the Illithid larva get into the armor, if the helmet is sealed?

They couldn't have put up the armor after the larva's been inserted. Their brains would have been eaten within two handfuls of minutes at worse.

Alternatively, if the person somehow got stuck with the armor, and then the larva killed them, then the larva would be "bathing in the blood of its enemies" and could remove the armor without any troubles.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    How did the Illithid larva get into the armor, if the helmet is sealed?

They couldn't have put up the armor after the larva's been inserted. Their brains would have been eaten within two handfuls of minutes at worse.

Alternatively, if the person somehow got stuck with the armor, and then the larva killed them, then the larva would be "bathing in the blood of its enemies" and could remove the armor without any troubles.
    The timing may be convoluted, but the larva was in before the armor went on. That's not the part in question. The question is over what results.

The armor can't be removed. The bloodbath prevents starvation, but does not end the curse.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Can the mindflayer substitute a "diet" of bathing in the blood of their enemies for their normal, somewhat inconvenient diet of brains?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

As a DM, I'd probably say that the armor doesn't necessarily curse whoever's wearing it, but just what happens to be inside of it, which extends to the Mindflayer.

You say it starves if it can't bathe in the blood of their enemies. To me, that sounds an awful lot like being *compelled* to starve rather than just being sealed off by the armor.

Assuming the stars aligned just right, my DM decision would be that the Mindflayer can't eat until the armor bathes in the blood of your (plural) enemies. Now, the Mindflayer may not know why it cannot eat, or what the conditions are to release the curse, but I don't think that it would kill its host as a way of trying to break whatever compulsion it has. I'd say it'd keep trying to eat you...and continue to fail.

At least, that's what I'd do. So long as you are hit by the starvation curse, and you continue to starve and not bathe, you (and your facehugger friend) are stuck starving and alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Can the mindflayer substitute a "diet" of bathing in the blood of their enemies for their normal, somewhat inconvenient diet of brains?
    Doubtful. The in-game embellishment made it sound like this is an astronaut suit. The reason the wearer can't eat is that it would be physically impossible for food to reach their lips. The armor craves battle and sustains the wearer when they are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Assuming the stars aligned just right, my DM decision would be that the Mindflayer can't eat until the armor bathes in the blood of your (plural) enemies. Now, the Mindflayer may not know why it cannot eat, or what the conditions are to release the curse, but I don't think that it would kill its host as a way of trying to break whatever compulsion it has. I'd say it'd keep trying to eat you...and continue to fail.

At least, that's what I'd do. So long as you are hit by the starvation curse, and you continue to starve and not bathe, you (and your facehugger friend) are stuck starving and alive.
    Interesting, and something I hadn't thought of. As I mentioned above, the inability to eat seemed to be due to the physical limitation of the mask, compensated with the sustenance of blood. With your interpretation, I'm less certain. Hmmm...