New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default How would you make a "Protection from Arrows" spell in 5e?

in 3.5, this 2nd level spell negated 10 points of damage from all incoming arrows and hurled weapons. I imagine that would be very nice considering all the con checks a spell caster needs to make.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: How would you make a "Protection from Arrows" spell in 5e?

Windwall is a third level spell. And investiture of wind.

There is also Warding Wind, but it is not a wizard spell.
    "Ok, trees. We are about to go into a dungeon--hey, Twigs, you paying attention?--ok, so stay out here, and if we come running out of there with a hoard of monsters behind us you're going to go all Harry Potter on them as if they were cars. No, Itchy-Bark, it's a reference. Ever heard of breaking character? *Sigh* Just stay here and kill things that chase us out. Make like a tree and... stay."

-PeteNutButter

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

2nd level spell, concentration with a minute duration, resistance against nonmagical ranged weapon attacks. Upcasting adds additional targets.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Perhaps all ranged weapon attacks are made at disadvantage for one minute? Possibly make this a concentration spell. I am not certain it would be warranted, but it could become a very over-used spell, otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

ClericGuy

Doesnt warding wind spell already do this?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The problem is that in 5e this would end up being a concentration spell, and as one of your aims is to help casters maintain concentration it's a bit of a bust.

RAW you have the shield spell which is first level and could feasibly negate multiple ranged attacks so long as they are in the same round, if you wanted to home-brew a change to it i'd suggest adding a non concentration up-cast option of one round extra per extra spell level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    The problem is that in 5e this would end up being a concentration spell, and as one of your aims is to help casters maintain concentration it's a bit of a bust.

RAW you have the shield spell which is first level and could feasibly negate multiple ranged attacks so long as they are in the same round, if you wanted to home-brew a change to it i'd suggest adding a non concentration up-cast option of one round extra per extra spell level.
    That checks out - The "Modern Magic" UA that was released had a "protection from ballistics" spell that just gave resistance to nonmagical ballistic damage for 10 minutes... and it was a 3rd level spell that required concentration.

I could see a non-concentration spell that gives the catching half of the Monk's "Deflect Missiles" feature - allowing you to use a reaction to reduce arrow damage, potentially to zero.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.