New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Starfinder: Doubt about Dwarves

Hello, Forum, its my first time around.
    I have been reading lately the Starfinder RPG book, and generally find it delightful. But I have a couple of dislikes about the setting.
    1) The starsystem is overcrowded and overpopulated. Every piece of chunk flying around the star has a colony and probably more than one new intelligent race. My remedy to this is to create my own setting with only legacy races (+ maybe androids and robots) and to discover other races as part of the exploring of the cosmos.
    But it brought me to my second dislike:
    2) Dwarves as written have the Traditional Enemies and Stonecunning racial traits. The first is +4AC vs Giant and +1 to attack vs goblins and orcs; the second is a perception bonus around stonework.

Interpreting racial traits as biological and cultural traits that sets a race apart, I find these traits not matching a space opera setting. The probability of finding giants, goblins and orcs diminishes as space is filled with new races and monsters; the same goes with stonework there are less ancient dungeons and more derelict ships, abandoned research stations and other futuristics locations.

So I replaced these two traits with:
    Craftsmen: +2 racial bonus on all Engineering or Profession checks to create objects from metal or stone, and can craft them in half the time. It stacks with Master Crafter feat.

But I'm not sure if it is enough or too much or too little. So I would appreciate any inputs about it.
    (P.S. I am not a native English speaker so any typos could have escaped from the autocorrector)
    Last edited by Relonious; 2018-12-11 at 02:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Starfinder: Doubt about Dwarves

Both of those abilities are very much flavor abilities. So what ever you replace them with should equally emphasis the flavor of your dwarves. For example, if you want the dwarves to be a major technolocal race, then your Craftman ability is a good way to do it.
    On the otherhand, if they are a hidebound race, the maybe use "Traditional Crafting: +2 racial bonus on all Engineering or Profession checks to create non-technological objects, and can craft them in half the time. It stacks with Master Crafter feat." This might need cleaned up for wording, as I am on my tablet and do not want to have a half dozen open tabs.

As for Traditional Enemies, you can change what these enemies are, as dwarves are a longed lived race that is known for holding grudges, or change it to some form of weapon familiarity giving bonuses to certain weapons. Maybe all (or most anyways) dwarves like using heavy firearms, and so get a damage bonus when using them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Relonious View Post
    1) The starsystem is overcrowded and overpopulated. Every piece of chunk flying around the star has a colony and probably more than one new intelligent race. My remedy to this is to create my own setting with only legacy races (+ maybe androids and robots) and to discover other races as part of the exploring of the cosmos.
    But it brought me to my second dislike:
    That matches the Space Opera/Space Western feel, doesn't it? It's supposed to be like Star Wars, from what I gather, where countless weird aliens are normal.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

First off, IIRC Drift travel in Starfinder is fast, not to Lensman levels (where faster ships can hit speeds best measured in parsecs/second) but certainly faster than something like Traveller (or most of my space opera settings), so it should be relatively painless to change 'one heavily exploited star system' to 'several nearby star systems'. Also I quite like a couple of the Starfinder races, although I'll agree that the legacy races should have been integrated better.

I do think your version will work if you want then to be technological crafter's, alternatively you could change Stonecunning to Steelcunning (just works with metal instead of some, and should come up roughly as much as Stonecunning did), and pick a rare and common kind of creature for their ancestral enemies.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks for your input. I'll take your suggestions into account.