New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Working on a Gunslinger build

Doing a short campaign, and My DM stated that there are guns in this world, so I decided to make a gunslinger character.

• All official material is allowed, including Dragon Magazines.
    • Level 8
    • 34 Point Buy
    • 27,000 starting gold.

The character concept I wish to create is a duel wielding gunslinger. Flavorwise they work for the church going after undead and evil outsiders, so if there is any way of throwing some of that in, that would be awesome, but not entirely important.

The class I have gone with for building this character is the Targetteer Fighter variant class from Dragon Magazine #310, pg 38.

This is what I've gotten done so far, it looks fairly powerful, but not sure if it is fully optimized yet. Also Not certain if two weapon fighting and rapid shot even can be stacked...and what my full attack would be using both of them.

this is my build so far.
    myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1775861

Right now I know my damage is at 2d6 + 20 + another 2d6 if my target is evil.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Working on a Gunslinger build

Black powder? What's the reload like? You may want to go skirmisher swift hunter? Could take something like drow of the underdark - hand crossbow focus? Get twf from ranger

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    Black powder? What's the reload like? You may want to go skirmisher swift hunter? Could take something like drow of the underdark - hand crossbow focus? Get twf from ranger
    Thanks for the reply!

Automatic Pistol is on pg 146 of the dungeon master guide, each could fire 15 times before needed reloaded, inserting a new magazine is a move action.

I considered doing a swift hunter build, but it looks like being a good gun slinger with everything RAW is going to be pretty feat hungry. Also at level 8, a swift hunter build would only have +2d6 base skirmish bonus, what i've made has a flat +20 bonus to damage rolls, or +10 against things that cannot be crit.

4. - Top - End - #4

Looking at your build:

Strength 6 is incredibly low. Light load is 20 lbs, Max is 60. You're at 21 lbs between your armor and pistols without extra ammo so you're already at medium load. I don't see how much magazines weigh, but you sure can't carry many.

You can't take two +2 Dex items to get +4 Dex ... They don't stack.

Vital aim talks about replacing strength bonus with dexterity. It says "The targetteer cannot replace a Strength penalty to damage rolls with his Dexterity modifier unless his Dexterity modifier is also a penalty" .. so either it won't work at all since you get no bonus strength damage to a pistol OR .. if your dm is nice enough to ignore that language it won't work because you have a strength penalty.

You need to be relatively close (30) to get bonus damage to work but have a mediocre ac (horrible if you lose Dex) so will be squishy

You have low skills because a fighter so can't make up for some weaknesses through utility.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ask your DM if he'd allow Pathfinder content, they have an actual gunslinger class...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Looking at your build:

Strength 6 is incredibly low. Light load is 20 lbs, Max is 60. You're at 21 lbs between your armor and pistols without extra ammo so you're already at medium load. I don't see how much magazines weigh, but you sure can't carry many.

You can't take two +2 Dex items to get +4 Dex ... They don't stack.

Vital aim talks about replacing strength bonus with dexterity. It says "The targetteer cannot replace a Strength penalty to damage rolls with his Dexterity modifier unless his Dexterity modifier is also a penalty" .. so either it won't work at all since you get no bonus strength damage to a pistol OR .. if your dm is nice enough to ignore that language it won't work because you have a strength penalty.

You need to be relatively close (30) to get bonus damage to work but have a mediocre ac (horrible if you lose Dex) so will be squishy

You have low skills because a fighter so can't make up for some weaknesses through utility.
    Thanks for catching that error, I changed my ability scores around to get rid of the strength penalty, that should fix both of the things you pointed out. Also removed the second Dex item, going to look for some items that grant bonus AC to replace that with.

Also adjusted my bonus damage I had listed to reflect lowering my dex.

-

I'd have to look into that PF class, if it interest me I'll bring it up to the DM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Mithril shirt is a good choice, but it will not stack with bracers of armor

Take a look here for some equipment advice:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...chery-Handbook

You could probably more heavily enchant your primary gun, since the second one will only get one shot per turn. Splitting is nasty.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Mithril shirt is a good choice, but it will not stack with bracers of armor

You could probably more heavily enchant your primary gun, since the second one will only get one shot per turn. Splitting is nasty.
    Wouldn't it get at least two shots off with the off-hand Improved two-weapon fighting? Perhaps more since I am still not sure if I can stack improved TWF and Rapid Shot, granting even more attacks per round.

9. - Top - End - #9

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the 2-level dip into Exotic Weapon Master PrC - for the Close-Quarters Ranged Combat and Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting stunts?

Also, maybe a dip into Barbarian? Rage may add to Dex rather than Str - either via Ferocity, or Frantic Rage feat (which may work with the Whirling Frenzy, but required access to Madness domain)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    How about the 2-level dip into Exotic Weapon Master PrC - for the Close-Quarters Ranged Combat and Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting stunts?

Also, maybe a dip into Barbarian? Rage may add to Dex rather than Str - either via Ferocity, or Frantic Rage feat (which may work with the Whirling Frenzy, but required access to Madness domain)
    I was actually looking at that for the next two levels I go into if it last that long, I wanted to make sure I got Range Weapon Mastery soon as it became eligible, since adding +2 to each of my attacks does more then changing then removing 1 penalty, and it adds +2 to damage as well, but if I went to next level Exotic weapon Master would be a great pickup for sure! Followed by the Close Quarters Range Combat.

A single level dip into barb isn't something I have considered yet, Though I could definitely see it working, +2 to my attack roles, and +4 to dmg roles would be a massive boost!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1301 View Post

The character concept I wish to create is a duel wielding gunslinger. Flavorwise they work for the church going after undead and evil outsiders, so if there is any way of throwing some of that in, that would be awesome, but not entirely important.
    Flavor wise, your character sounds a lot like the Good Hunter from Bloodborne, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Now if only he wielded a gun in one hand and a melee weapon in another, the similarities would be complete. However, I would recommend looking up some lore regarding that game if you want to have your PC go that route from a purely fluff perspective.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Have you double checked with your DM exactly what tech level of guns exist? You might be using automatic pistols in a setting where revolvers are the best currently, or perhaps even single shot pistols.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.