New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Lost Spheres Publishing FAQ

Many thanks for answering my weird, niche questions, Sslarn~ With that said, here's some more weird questions.

Q139: Was there a particular reason the Weapon Fusion feat only applies to constellation weapons and not weapon-like veils? I know the quad races don't get Hand slots, but many weapon-likes are also Wrist or other slots, and the OG akashic races can shape Hand veils. WLVs and constellation weapons have a lot of overlap, so it seems odd the feat only works on one.

Q140: What exactly is the cost of a crystek device? The thing says it "increases the base item cost 50 gp plus 100 gp per effective veilweaving level beyond 1st." But what is the base item, and how much does it cost? I'm guessing they take up one of the magical item slots of the emulated veil, as well? And can you only use one at a time, based on the "re-attune to a different device" wording? Basically, the whole thing is confusing and I don't know how it works.

Q141: Tangentially related, is it correct that level 1 & 2 essence crystals measure their cost in silver pieces (75 & 125, respectively), but then the level 3 and above crystals measure cost in gold pieces (200 gp for level 3)? It's an odd and very large jump, so I'm wondering if it's a typo, and if so, should they all be gp? Or all sp, maybe? Probably not, but heck if I know.
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moonhand View Post
    Many thanks for answering my weird, niche questions, Sslarn~ With that said, here's some more weird questions.
    No worries!

Q139: Was there a particular reason the Weapon Fusion feat only applies to constellation weapons and not weapon-like veils? I know the quad races don't get Hand slots, but many weapon-likes are also Wrist or other slots, and the OG akashic races can shape Hand veils. WLVs and constellation weapons have a lot of overlap, so it seems odd the feat only works on one.
    A139) It's mainly just because weapon-like veils have more rules and interactions associated with them, while constellations create a weapon that acts like a normal weapon other than having a unique ability and acting as an essence receptacle. Veils have unique sunder rules, auto-recovery, and other rules elements that just aren't as easily accounted for.

Let me ping Christen on the crystek device and essence crystal questions since he was the designer for those.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q140: What exactly is the cost of a crystek device? The thing says it "increases the base item cost 50 gp plus 100 gp per effective veilweaving level beyond 1st." But what is the base item, and how much does it cost? I'm guessing they take up one of the magical item slots of the emulated veil, as well? And can you only use one at a time, based on the "re-attune to a different device" wording? Basically, the whole thing is confusing and I don't know how it works.

Q141: Tangentially related, is it correct that level 1 & 2 essence crystals measure their cost in silver pieces (75 & 125, respectively), but then the level 3 and above crystals measure cost in gold pieces (200 gp for level 3)? It's an odd and very large jump, so I'm wondering if it's a typo, and if so, should they all be gp? Or all sp, maybe? Probably not, but heck if I know.
    A140: The base item here is very literal and usually means a masterwork item suitable for enchantment, so the cost is per standard crafting rules. This item could also be enchanted with additional functions. They do not take up one of the magical item slots of the emulated veil unless the base item is also enchanted, but physically may be restrictive (no one is wearing say 2 suits of armor). The Crystek Attunement feat allows a single device to be attuned. Otherwise a character cannot use crystek devices. The prerequisite of Essence Rejection makes essence based characters some one at odds with crytek users. Some GMs may wish allow a Use Magic Device check to emulate the feat for 1 minute at a DC 20 but this DC should increase by at least 5 if a character has an essence pool. If the general specifics of the crystek design seem disadvantageous compared to normal veilweaving know that that is entirely deliberate in design. In future supplements Zeian characters will have access to deeper feat chains and archetypes to increase the efficacy of these abilities but this supplement was meant to focus on non-antagonist groups from the perspective of the City of 7 Seraphs. Good to know there might be more interest in these mechanics.

A141: The prices are correct as listed. The decisions here reflect both statistical designs and the scarcity of larger/more powerful crystals. Formations of 3 point essence and above a far less common in natural formations (rumors of Zeian facilities mass-producing artificial crystals exist)/ The use of silver pieces was to avoid decimal values of price points. Sorry for the confusion that it caused.
    Last edited by Lost_Spheres; 2020-01-10 at 01:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q142

Can a Lunar Zodiac take Animal Companion related feats, since they can have an animal companion for more than 24 hours?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YroPro View Post
    Q142

Can a Lunar Zodiac take Animal Companion related feats, since they can have an animal companion for more than 24 hours?
    A142) Yes.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Follow up to Q142

How does that interact with Evolved Companion?

Q143

The Rat

Equipment (Essence cost 2): You gain the ability to manifest the Rat as a pair of supple leather gloves with small, hooked metal claws on the fingertips. These gloves act as a pair of masterwork thieves’ tools and allow the wearer to use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

Essence: For each point of essence invested in the equipment form of the Rat, the wearer gains a +2 insight bonus on Disable Device checks.

Does this let you Disable Device untrained? Just wondering as it didn't mention mundane traps.

Q144
    Is it within the intent to allow the Zodiac to summon a bane weapon on the fly? Ie, in the first combat of the day vs Giants, just summon the Archer as a Bane Longbow? Later maybe summon another Constellation with a different bane.

Q145
    The Zodiac mentions "Constellations manifested as equipment are tangible items that occupy a slot just like a piece of magical equipment (so a constellation that manifests as a pair of boots cannot be worn with another pair of magical boots)."

Presumably there is no issues summoning boots over mundane boots? Does this extend to mundane armor?

Sorry about the question spam.
    Last edited by YroPro; 2020-01-13 at 04:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Follow up to Q142

How does that interact with Evolved Companion?
    Per the "[t]he zodiac always summons the same version of a champion after they have manifested them for the first time" clause, you'd choose which champion gains the evolution point and that would be the one it always applies to. Since a zodiac has all of their constellations when they gain their first level in a class, the clause from Evolved Companion stating that "[i]f you gain a new animal companion, your old animal companion loses this evolution, and you can select a new 1-point evolution for the new animal companion" would only kick in if you completely lost access to the constellation you assigned the evolution point to (such as if you retrained out of the Material Plane cosmology and reattuned to the Concordia cosmology).

Q143

The Rat

Equipment (Essence cost 2): You gain the ability to manifest the Rat as a pair of supple leather gloves with small, hooked metal claws on the fingertips. These gloves act as a pair of masterwork thieves’ tools and allow the wearer to use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.

Essence: For each point of essence invested in the equipment form of the Rat, the wearer gains a +2 insight bonus on Disable Device checks.

Does this let you Disable Device untrained? Just wondering as it didn't mention mundane traps.
    A143) Yes, they let you use Disable Device untrained and can be used to disable both standard and magical traps.

Q144
    Is it within the intent to allow the Zodiac to summon a bane weapon on the fly? Ie, in the first combat of the day vs Giants, just summon the Archer as a Bane Longbow? Later maybe summon another Constellation with a different bane.
    A144) Yeah, that's anticipated and not something I see as an issue. It's a standard action to summon a new constellation, which means you're giving up most of your impact for that first round if you're summoning in the first round of combat, and the fact that you're taking essence burn means that's going to get increasingly hard to do if you haven't correctly identified the monsters or if you misgauge where the threat is (such as if the giants are really just slaves for a drow war party). Unless it's an abnormally long fight, it's going to be relatively rare that giving up your first turn for bane is going to result in a net gain for the fight compared to e.g. opening with a full-round attack with a +1 corrosive Archer.

Q145
    The Zodiac mentions "Constellations manifested as equipment are tangible items that occupy a slot just like a piece of magical equipment (so a constellation that manifests as a pair of boots cannot be worn with another pair of magical boots)."

Presumably there is no issues summoning boots over mundane boots? Does this extend to mundane armor?
    A145) Non-magical clothing is something I'd handwave in much the same way that I don't blink an eye when someone shows up for a game wearing a t-shirt over a long-sleeved shirt, but since armor and equipment constellations do occupy a slot I'd draw the line at non-magical armor. That's one of the risks that you accept; my morphbear zodiac was knocked unconscious during our last Tyrant's Grasp game, and as a result my lance, armor, and mount all disappeared, leaving me as a mostly naked and unarmed teddy bear with 7 points of essence burn I wasn't going to be getting back before the fight was over.

Sorry about the question spam.
    No worries!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q146
    For the Phoenix, if I summon the cloak on an Ally or one of my Constellations, do I spend the immediate/burn, or would whoever is wearing it need to have an Essence pool? Would it be the same for something like the Forest Guardian's shield?

More a comment than anything, but the Efreeti seems disproportionately strong due to it's quickened spells, putting out 58 damage per round to an average CR8. That's not an insane amount at level 8, but it's significantly over the expected amount at that level. I get the cost is relatively high at 9 Essence, but then it's down to 8 via Lunar, and with Human+Lunar+2 New Cosmologies+1 Unreleased Cosmology, a Lunar should have about 17ish essence to play around with as long as they haven't taken the Extra Essence feat. So using a hair under half at a time doesn't seem too costly.

Q147
    The Archer states in weapon form it always matches it's wielder's strength bonus, what about when in Champion form? Also, can his Bow be different each time he's summoned, similar to other equipment constellations? Wasn't sure if it was different since it wasn't specified.

The Bonus vs Disarm and Trip on the Archer seems kind of random, those don't come up often in Pathfinder, and even less frequently for ranged characters.
    Last edited by YroPro; 2020-01-15 at 07:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Q146
    For the Phoenix, if I summon the cloak on an Ally or one of my Constellations, do I spend the immediate/burn, or would whoever is wearing it need to have an Essence pool? Would it be the same for something like the Forest Guardian's shield?
    You can always take essence burn and activate your constellation's abilities, but if you grant it to a creature who also has an essence pool, they can spend the burn and action instead.

More a comment than anything, but the Efreeti seems disproportionately strong due to it's quickened spells, putting out 58 damage per round to an average CR8. That's not an insane amount at level 8, but it's significantly over the expected amount at that level. I get the cost is relatively high at 9 Essence, but then it's down to 8 via Lunar, and with Human+Lunar+2 New Cosmologies+1 Unreleased Cosmology, a Lunar should have about 17ish essence to play around with as long as they haven't taken the Extra Essence feat. So using a hair under half at a time doesn't seem too costly.
    It's dismiss effect triggers if it takes any melee damage at all, leaving you with your essence halved (more than halved, in your example) for the rest of the fight. If the enemy doesn't/can't recognize the constellation for what it is (DC 10 Knowledge [arcana] to recognize it as akashic, so something that can be done untrained, and DC 15 to know that it's a constellation and what it's dismiss effect is) then you can get a lot out of it, but it's a high risk/reward constellation. A single point of melee damage connecting with it and you're out 9 points of essence for the rest of the fight, and possibly the next fight if you don't have a chance to stop and rest.

Q147
    The Archer states in weapon form it always matches it's wielder's strength bonus, what about when in Champion form? Also, can his Bow be different each time he's summoned, similar to other equipment constellations? Wasn't sure if it was different since it wasn't specified.
    A147) The champion's weapon isn't as flexible as the Weapon form of the constellation (because you're getting a companion with an auto-scaling magic weapon). Once you pick the weapon type and enhancements for your champion they're fixed (going back to the "you always get the same version of your champion" rules). Though I do allow players to retrain it and pick a new weapon as though retraining a class feature (so it takes 5 days and costs 10 gp x your level x 5).

The Bonus vs Disarm and Trip on the Archer seems kind of random, those don't come up often in Pathfinder, and even less frequently for ranged characters.
    YMMV. We hardly ever have a session where disarm and trip aren't used on both sides of the table, especially when bows are in play. Disarm an archer (particularly if you have Greater Disarm so you can flick their weapon out of their reach entirely) and it doesn't matter how good their AC is, you just made all those archery feats they've been pouring their resources into useless. Trip an archer and, unless they're using a crossbow, they've lost the ability to attack you unless they stand back up, provoking an attack of opportunity, and then once they've stood back up they can either trade one ranged attack and hope you don't have Combat Reflexes (making it a very bad trade) but still take a full attack reprisal when your next turn comes up, or run away to try and get room to use their bow again, giving you a serious action economy advantage. A single successful trip or disarm attempt ends an archer's relevance in the fight, and the Archer is also going to be at a deficit in the CMD department since it's your level -3, so it comes with a built-in mechanism for you to keep it from getting shut down.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q148

Buraq (Animal Companion Archetype)
    Does the companion just follow the normal capacity increases at 1/6/12/18 and nothing else? I assume it goes off of their hit die rather than the owners level.
    Was just wondering as the breath weapon for the Gorget seems a little on the low side. Also in Akashic Realms 2, Wolgers as quadrupeds have 2 feet slots instead of hands, does this extend to quadrupedal Animal Companions?

Just curious. On the other hand summoning a Wolf Companion with Pooling Black sounds amazing.

Tangentially related, I know it says the Master gain any benefits from essence invested by the companion into the shared veil, can I still invest my own essence as well? How does the shared veil work, can both use it, or just the master?

Q149
    So Zodiacs can build their two NPC companions and their animal companions but for something like the Winter Wolf, that is a "monster" or something as opposed to clearly a class leveled NPC or Animal Companion, can I still spend their feats on things? Ie can I have it take skill focus stealth or something instead of spending a feat on Run?
    Last edited by YroPro; 2020-01-22 at 09:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Q148

Buraq (Animal Companion Archetype)
    Does the companion just follow the normal capacity increases at 1/6/12/18 and nothing else? I assume it goes off of their hit die rather than the owners level.
    Was just wondering as the breath weapon for the Gorget seems a little on the low side.
    A148) Buraq animal companions do not gain additional essence capacity increases (though they can take Enhanced Capacity or even wear akashic catalysts and gain the normal HD based increases). This was very much intentional since they're literally just a single class feature for most classes and have significant advantages over a standard animal companion.

Also in Akashic Realms 2, Wolgers as quadrupeds have 2 feet slots instead of hands, does this extend to quadrupedal Animal Companions?
    Wolgers were a bit of an experiment, as was the Quadrupedal racial trait. I think that experiment was successful, but I intentionally went with a racial trait instead of a general rule about quadrupeds to keep some balancing tools in place (and avoid extrapolations about how many Feet slots an e.g. behir has). That being said, it would be perfectly reasonable to give the quadrupedal racial trait to a quadrupedal animal companion.

Tangentially related, I know it says the Master gain any benefits from essence invested by the companion into the shared veil, can I still invest my own essence as well? How does the shared veil work, can both use it, or just the master?
    The long and the short of it is that only one person should be investing in a receptacle at a time. It's not super relevant which person from a balancing perspective, but the need to balance things like whose capacity has precedence and ensuring that the amount of resource a character is spending is equivalent to the benefit they are receiving means that you shouldn't "cross streams" with essence.

Q149
    So Zodiacs can build their two NPC companions and their animal companions but for something like the Winter Wolf, that is a "monster" or something as opposed to clearly a class leveled NPC or Animal Companion, can I still spend their feats on things? Ie can I have it take skill focus stealth or something instead of spending a feat on Run?
    A149) You can custom build your constellations regardless of their base form, though you always summon the same champion and the exchange you're making needs to be one that would normally be legal (for example, animal types only gain 3/4 BAB from HD, so you couldn't trade an animal's 1st level feat for Power Attack when building an animal type champion with racial Hit Dice from the ground up). But yeah, your specific example is totally legit.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

So if their max capacity is...1. Eventually 2, the scaling essence per level seems kind of odd.

Kinda in regards to both of those questions, if a non-PC class creature takes Shape veil and the like, do they get the capacity increases at the default HD?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

So if their max capacity is...1. Eventually 2, the scaling essence per level seems kind of odd.

Kinda in regards to both of those questions, if a non-PC class creature takes Shape veil and the like, do they get the capacity increases at the default HD?
    Clarified the response to make it less confusing. Everyone gets the HD based increases; those are a base part of the system.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ah okay, that's how I thought it was supposed to work, thanks for the clarification!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q150
    Dark Intensity
    From 10th level on the eclipse may shape and bind an additional veil in either their Hands or Feet slot, chosen when they shape their veils for the day. This veil still counts against their total veils shaped and must be invested with essence separately from any other veil shaped in that slot. In addition, the eclipse gains a special ability depending on which slot they choose to shape their additional veil in (if any). Eclipses who choose to shape an additional veil in their Hands slot may attack with up to two weapons as a single attack action, though they take a –2 penalty on each attack roll when doing so. Eclipses who choose to shape an additional veil in their Feet slot increase their movement speed with any movement mode they possess by 20 feet. If the eclipse does not shape an additional veil in either their Hands or Feet slot they instead treat any other veils shaped in their Hands or Feet slot as though they are invested with 1 more point of essence than they actually are; this ability can allow the eclipse to exceed their normal maximum essence capacity with those veils.

How does this interact with Twin Veil?
    Can I use Twin Veil to have an extra weapon like veil in my hand slot, and still get the +1 effective Essence?

Also while going over Akashic Realms 1 again (my Radiant might be dying soon so looking at Zodiac or Eclipse) I was looking at the weapon veils Izanami's Nodachi and Seppuku, and they seem to have some synergy since one is Two Handed, and the other lets you wield a Two Handed weapon with one hand. But they both revolve around bleed damage, which seems somewhat anti-synergistic.

Can you clarify the intent regarding these two? Am I missing something? The Nodachi does 2.5/Essence bleed, the Wakizachi does 2/Essence bleed, and doesn't seem to stack. So other than style points, why would you want to use these two pieces of the Dark Shogunate set at the same time?
    Last edited by YroPro; 2020-01-28 at 02:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Q150
    Dark Intensity
    [...]

How does this interact with Twin Veil?
    Can I use Twin Veil to have an extra weapon like veil in my hand slot, and still get the +1 effective Essence?
    It's a separate effect from Twin Veil, so if you used Twin Veil to gain a second veil and didn't use Dark Intensity for your Hands or Feet, you'd get the bonus essence.

Also while going over Akashic Realms 1 again (my Radiant might be dying soon so looking at Zodiac or Eclipse) I was looking at the weapon veils Izanami's Nodachi and Seppuku, and they seem to have some synergy since one is Two Handed, and the other lets you wield a Two Handed weapon with one hand. But they both revolve around bleed damage, which seems somewhat anti-synergistic.

Can you clarify the intent regarding these two? Am I missing something? The Nodachi does 2.5/Essence bleed, the Wakizachi does 2/Essence bleed, and doesn't seem to stack. So other than style points, why would you want to use these two pieces of the Dark Shogunate set at the same time?
    They're more about versatility, and O-yoroi of the Obsidian Ronin is a more advanced set. The eclipse has relatively limited essence, so I don't generally expect someone to be fully investing both weapons at once; Seppuku gives you an off-hand weapon for Dark Intensity so you don't lose out on damage progression while devoting to a set and acts as a "ranged attack" with its bind option, but the bleed from the two intentionally overlaps instead of stacking. It's a fairly powerful set and the only eclipse-specific set that has a convergence feat (which an eclipse can buy into with Lattice Born), so it has some inherent balancers built into it to keep its ceiling close to the same point as the other eclipse sets.
    You can always skip the convergence feat and grab a different main hand weapon, but that'll just drop you close-ish to the same performance levels once you actually have the ability to use everything anyways. If you use them both and take the convergence you get the bonus negative energy damage and become super tanky with all the debuffs you can execute, if you swap to a different weapon your damage goes up a bit more as your essence caps allow.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q151: Can a mirrorkin form more than one type of bond with the same creature? E.G., can a mirrorkin druid form all five bonds with their animal companion?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castilonium View Post
    Q151: Can a mirrorkin form more than one type of bond with the same creature? E.G., can a mirrorkin druid form all five bonds with their animal companion?
    A151: As written, Mirrorkin generally don't form singular bonds unless they are shardborn with only a single non-cyclic bond. That said, this question has come up enough that we are looking at mechanics to allow a deeper singular bond with a creature for upcoming expansion regarding the mirrorkin.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    A151: As written, Mirrorkin generally don't form singular bonds unless they are shardborn with only a single non-cyclic bond. That said, this question has come up enough that we are looking at mechanics to allow a deeper singular bond with a creature for upcoming expansion regarding the mirrorkin.
    C151 so city of seven seraphs 2 coming in near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, okay. I'll check out the feat.

Also nice, good to hear Akashic Realms 3 is coming *and* we get a mirrorkin expansion.

Mirrorkin Echo is way up on my list of things to play in my next Akashic game, right behind Zodiac.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    C151 so city of seven seraphs 2 coming in near future.
    Really we've been supporting City of 7 Seraphs with expansions for awhile now. Both Akashic Realms releases and the Voltaic release include additional world-building elements and NPCs tied to Co7S, and keeping that cosmology and setting growing is something that's been a continual process with each new supplement.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q152: I saw on your Facebook page that Parasites: Codex of Blood was still waiting on art assets as of a few weeks ago; Might we see a March release date for that product?

Q153: Besides Parasites, are there any other Lost Spheres projects coming in the near future that you guys can tell us about? I know Ssalarn teased us about several projects in the hopper back in November, including one that had a Nexus convergence for Elysium, but couldn't reveal anything at that time.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

I'm back, now with some Daevic questions!

Q154: The text of Daevic states that they don't get Essence until 2nd level and to follow the table once they do, but the table has them gaining 1 Essence at level 1. Should the table have had a 0 at level 1?

Q155: The Knowledge Daevic from Co7S can memorize magic spells and then cast them as SLAs by taking Essence Burn. SLAs don't have material components. Was it intended that the Daevic could become essentially a free wish-granting genie? Obviously I'm going to the most extreme example here, but there are plenty of other spells with expensive components that could benefit from this.

Q156: On a less extreme note, can the Knowledge Daevic memorize psionic powers from power stones or from the minds of other creatures like how they can memorize spells from scrolls and minds? Can they learn maneuvers this way, or at least prevent creatures from using their maneuvers by stealing them via the Secrecy aspect?
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm back, now with some Daevic questions!

Q154: The text of Daevic states that they don't get Essence until 2nd level and to follow the table once they do, but the table has them gaining 1 Essence at level 1. Should the table have had a 0 at level 1?
    A154 They were given a point of essence at 1st level close to the end of their playtest cycle, and the updated text never got propagated over to the final release. Basically, it just came down to seeming really weird that there would be a core akashic class that can't actually use the core of the akashic system until 2nd level without a feat or special race.

Q155: The Knowledge Daevic from Co7S can memorize magic spells and then cast them as SLAs by taking Essence Burn. SLAs don't have material components. Was it intended that the Daevic could become essentially a free wish-granting genie? Obviously I'm going to the most extreme example here, but there are plenty of other spells with expensive components that could benefit from this.
    A155 It may have gotten eaten somewhere, but the Knowledge passion was supposed to have a "Typically, the daevic must still provide costly material components for spells cast in this manner" sidebar with some other flavor text allowing GMs to bypass that requirement for Rincewind-esque story-relevant characters/spells.

Q156: On a less extreme note, can the Knowledge Daevic memorize psionic powers from power stones or from the minds of other creatures like how they can memorize spells from scrolls and minds?
    A156a This is a no mainly because that passion was already so humongous it literally ate the space for three other archetypes, and psionics requires several additional rules that need to be addressed regarding how a power gained in this way could be manifested. I expect that, demand depending, we may release some kind of psionic variant in a future supplement.

Can they learn maneuvers this way, or at least prevent creatures from using their maneuvers by stealing them via the Secrecy aspect?
    A156b Similar answer to above, but with the note that I'd allow a single maneuver to count as one of the pieces of information a 12th level secrecy daevic could steal, with the maneuver returning after 24 hours a la the caveat for stealing spells from casters with limited spells known lists.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2020-02-29 at 03:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Any updates on Akashic Realms 3?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Q155: I recently discovered what seems to be a veil combo that results in the ability gain an arbitrarily high weapon damage, and wanted to check if it actually works or where I am wrong.

Required veils:
    1. Breastplate of Bloody Conflict - To gain bonus damage with weapons equal to the bleed damage on you
    2. Ceradon's Eternity - To pause the bleed damage in time so that it is still active, but not harming you
    3. Glabrezu's Gaze - With the Headband bind, target yourself with the activated ability and choose to fail the save. Since you have bleed damage, it will increase that bleed damage by your invested essence. This seems to be an instantaneous effect and thus stacks.

Thus you bleed yourself, pause the bleed from hurting, then self-target with Glabrezu's Gaze and increase that bleed damage over and over as much as you want. Places where this might break (or places to errata/fix) are bleed's paused by Ceradon's Eternity don't give the bonus damage from Breastplate of Bloody Conflict, or that you can't target yourself with the activated ability of the Headband bind of Glabrezu's Gaze. Personally I hope it's the latter of those two, because self-bleeding and then pausing the bleed's recurring damage (but still having the bleed) seems like a really cool and fun combo.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

The Breastplate of Bloody Conflict states that you must be taking "ongoing Bleed damage" to gain its effects. I don't think that suspending the bleed damage would also allow something requiring ongoing bleed. You could get it with the Chest bind for Ceradon's Eternity, but that and the Breastplate are Chest veils, so you're gonna need Twinveil (and to be level 18), or to bind it to your Body slot (and to be level 20). So that's gonna take a while. If you're a Daevic (rather than a Vizier picking up the Breastplate via Shape Veil), you could bind it to your Blood slot at level 12, but that has its own issues.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q156) How does Huginn and Muninn work with the Zodiac? They have animal companions from multiple other sources for sure.

What about Boon Companion?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

The Breastplate of Bloody Conflict states that you must be taking "ongoing Bleed damage" to gain its effects. I don't think that suspending the bleed damage would also allow something requiring ongoing bleed.
    The bleed is still ongoing, you just don't take the recurring damage from it. If you activated it while poisoned or diseased you still have those, they just don't continue to advance. I'll continue to wait for an official response first, but I definitely agree that at the very least the Chest bind effect would definitely still permit the combo.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Q157) If the Veiled Lord from Akashic Mysteries gets access to another veil but not an effect that increases total veils shaped (in my case, I’m thinking of Steelforge II’s Ring of the Grand Vizier), how exactly does that work? Would the veiled lord be able to use the effect no problem, would it replace one of his veils for the day, could he not use it at all?