New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Spheres Publishing FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Q43:

For Trinity Angel, it has this as the requirement: Form astral armor or conjuration sphere (with merge talent). I can't find the Conjuration Merge talent at all? And the actual class makes mention of the Protection sphere, is this a case of something changing before going to print but getting lost? Is it supposed to be Form Astral Armor or a Protection (Aegis) talent or similar?
    Not affiliated with Lost Spheres, but there was a companion merger ability in the Conjurer's handbook playtest that got cut before release. It had balance issues that were difficult to resolve.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Copying from another thread so I can ping Christen-
    Omninode (3 points): Your armor acts as a magical converter allowing you to move energies between your various abilities. You may recharge a spell slot or regain a prepared spell you have cast from any class by paying twice is level in psionic power points. Alternatively you can pay half a spell point to regain half your caster level in power points, restore a spell slot, or a spent prepared spell of half your spherecaster level.
    Q44 Is it possible to spend half a spell point, or is this a typo?
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2019-03-21 at 10:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Not affiliated with Lost Spheres, but there was a companion merger ability in the Conjurer's handbook playtest that got cut before release. It had balance issues that were difficult to resolve.
    This was changed to protection sphere (armored magic talent) as of the last update.

4. - Top - End - #94

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post

Q44 Is it possible to spend half a spell point, or is this a typo?
    A44Typo, fixed.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    This was changed to protection sphere (armored magic talent) as of the last update.
    The Trinity Angel now says that a 'crystal angel' (not Trinity Angel) with the Protection Sphere gains the 'Armoured Aegis' talent (not Armoured Magic.) Aside from typos, what's the point of giving someone a talent they had to possess to qualify for the PrC in the first place?
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

6. - Top - End - #96

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    Q42: Another Trinity Knight question - if you're (for instance) a fighter 2 / elementalist 2 / incanter 4 with Trinity Warrior, do you qualify for the Trinity Knight PrC if your elementalist and incanter levels apply to the same tradition? My assumption is no, because that opens the pathway to having a spherecaster level higher than your actual level, but technically both the elementalist and incanter have spherecasting with a caster level of at least 1; it's just the same caster level in both cases.
    A42We tried to handle this using the phrase "single source" but we made it clearer in last nights update. General guidance should be that the "types" of powers should be different. Psychic spells, psionic powers, arcane spells, divine spells, etc. Spherecasting is a bit more complex in that that aspect of the class is definable under tradition. If you want to use spherecasting more than once with the PrC we recommend that they be defined as separate traditions and allowed to progress individually tracking access to spheres independently and separate spell points if you want this to "feel" as intended. We play tested it and it worked well but it works a little against the elegance of base spheres system.

7. - Top - End - #97

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    The Trinity Angel now says that a 'crystal angel' (not Trinity Angel) with the Protection Sphere gains the 'Armoured Aegis' talent (not Armoured Magic.) Aside from typos, what's the point of giving someone a talent they had to possess to qualify for the PrC in the first place?
    Now reads: "A trinity angel with the protection sphere instead gains a special variant of the armored magic talent." Was intended to modify the talent not grant an extra talent.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Q45: With the advent of Eternal Dawning organization in Co7S, does the Trinity Mage in the Book of Beyond: Liminal Power retroactively require affiliation with the organization?

Q46: For the Trinity Mage, do powers cast for a sequence have to be cast in consecutive rounds? Or can they be spaced out as long as you still have a trinity time? (Ex. Round 1 cast from Source 1, round 2 run around in circles, round 3 cast from Source 2 gaining the benefit of the sequence, round 4 run around in circles again, round 5 cast from Source 3 and gain final effect of sequence)

Q47: Do you have to finish a sequence before starting a new one? If not, can a new sequence be started with the source that was last used?

Q48: Universal Force's wording seems a bit clunky, shifting from fluff to crunch partway in one sentence. But the intent is to get a spell for free that's lower than spells used in the sequence, correct? Is it actually cast, thus making it eligible for abilities that affect your spells (such as being able to qualify for a sequence), or not? If yes, then for the previous example can an ability cast with Universal force count as being from any source for the purpose of a sequence (like a wild card), or does it count the origin that granted the knowledge of the spell/power? (i.e. an arcane/divine/mental trinity mage uses Universal Force to cast an arcane spell that they only have an arcane version of. Can they make it count as divine for the purpose of the sequence or will it just be arcane?)

Q49: For Tri-Trinity, are the 3 spells or powers cast at the same time, in the space of 1 round (full-round action/whatever)?

Minor quibble, Sequence of Admixture seems to be missing the final source effect in the current version.

Q50: Implications of the Source system, seem to indicate that individual classes only have one source. Is the Theurge class just an exception given that it is explicitly stated as casting both Arcane and Divine? If it does have two sources, then how does it interact with prestige classes presented that only give bonuses to one source at a time?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Q51: In your source references page in The City of 7 Seraphs, I get that you had to obliquely reference most of Paizo's books because of IP concerns ("Official regional magic campaign setting book" marked as ISM was obviously Inner Sea Magic, but couldn't be called that, for example), but why couldn't you mention the crossover spheres book Champions of the Spheres?

Q52 Which brings me to my next question, why did you preface virtually every single mention of a spherecaster or practitioner option with "If you are using the the Spheres of Might/Power system..."? You never preface an initiator with "If you're using the Path of War system..."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

10. - Top - End - #100

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoPenumbra View Post
    Q45: With the advent of Eternal Dawning organization in Co7S, does the Trinity Mage in the Book of Beyond: Liminal Power retroactively require affiliation with the organization?

Q46: For the Trinity Mage, do powers cast for a sequence have to be cast in consecutive rounds? Or can they be spaced out as long as you still have a trinity time? (Ex. Round 1 cast from Source 1, round 2 run around in circles, round 3 cast from Source 2 gaining the benefit of the sequence, round 4 run around in circles again, round 5 cast from Source 3 and gain final effect of sequence)

Q47: Do you have to finish a sequence before starting a new one? If not, can a new sequence be started with the source that was last used?

Q48: Universal Force's wording seems a bit clunky, shifting from fluff to crunch partway in one sentence. But the intent is to get a spell for free that's lower than spells used in the sequence, correct? Is it actually cast, thus making it eligible for abilities that affect your spells (such as being able to qualify for a sequence), or not? If yes, then for the previous example can an ability cast with Universal force count as being from any source for the purpose of a sequence (like a wild card), or does it count the origin that granted the knowledge of the spell/power? (i.e. an arcane/divine/mental trinity mage uses Universal Force to cast an arcane spell that they only have an arcane version of. Can they make it count as divine for the purpose of the sequence or will it just be arcane?)

Q49: For Tri-Trinity, are the 3 spells or powers cast at the same time, in the space of 1 round (full-round action/whatever)?

Minor quibble, Sequence of Admixture seems to be missing the final source effect in the current version.

Q50: Implications of the Source system, seem to indicate that individual classes only have one source. Is the Theurge class just an exception given that it is explicitly stated as casting both Arcane and Divine? If it does have two sources, then how does it interact with prestige classes presented that only give bonuses to one source at a time?
    A45Canonically, the Trinity Mage tradition was included in the knowledge Nexalla took with her when the Daestari exiled her. This allowed for non-Dawning individuals to also be trained in the same lore and abilities.

A46As long as you remain in trinity state each rotating source will count for a sequence.

A47As long as you break source rotation, the current sequence automatically ends and a new one can be started so long as you are still in a trinity state.

A48We will look at clearing it up, but the intent was in line with wish's spell simulation at the lowest level, total wildcard of any nature or source, a small window into infinity. Sorry it isn't clearer currently.

A49It is a single action cast resolved in the order of the caster's choosing for purposes of their sequences. As currently written it would be a standard action, and should likely only impact standard action cast spells. Sequence of admixtures final step is 100% bonus damage as though the spell had been "twinned" with a second element.

A50Theurge could be "gamed" in a permissive GM's campaign but as that it already covers Divine and Arcane sources, a player would likely need to have more esoteric origins like Temporarl, Umbral or Entropic to make full use of it. Even still a GM would be well within rights to restrict or forbid the theurge class (though we had no problems with it running at strength in playtest). Mythic games also might use our overmage path to interesting effect with the PrC.

Hope this helps.

11. - Top - End - #101

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Q51: In your source references page in The City of 7 Seraphs, I get that you had to obliquely reference most of Paizo's books because of IP concerns ("Official regional magic campaign setting book" marked as ISM was obviously Inner Sea Magic, but couldn't be called that, for example), but why couldn't you mention the crossover spheres book Champions of the Spheres?

Q52 Which brings me to my next question, why did you preface virtually every single mention of a spherecaster or practitioner option with "If you are using the the Spheres of Might/Power system..."? You never preface an initiator with "If you're using the Path of War system..."
    A51A lot of it has to do with exceptions to the Section 15 of the OGL. Any use of anything but a core body of Paizo Books requires express written permission to reference the titles. Sometimes we had permission to use full titles anywhere, others were title only in the reference tables, others were not at all. Each company got to select what degree they wanted to be referenced if at all.

A52Related to the above, the Spheres Systems are both the names of the Rules system AND their books. By the statement you mentioned above we can reference them as rules. Only 33% of our backers identified as being familiar with systems like Path of War or Spheres and we wanted to our best to show them where to find those awesome systems without violating OGL terms or Written permissions. Sorry if it is frustrating to you. We would have loved to call out all of the subsets like Path of War by title but didn't always have express permission to do so.

Hope this helps clear things up.
    Last edited by Lost_Spheres; 2019-03-28 at 10:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Q53: What book is Trinity Mage in? I can't seem to find it in the City of the Seven Seraphs or the Akashic Trinity!

Never mind! Found it in Liminal Power.
    Last edited by Galacktic; 2019-03-29 at 08:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

Q54
    Is there any rules/guide to making your own Veils?

14. - Top - End - #104

Zombie

Is there a projected ETA for Akashic Realms: Emperors & Einherjar?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by calyst View Post
    Is there a projected ETA for Akashic Realms: Emperors & Einherjar?
    I think we're just waiting on the last few pieces of art before we can start wrapping up layout. I don't have a specific ETA beyond "not too much longer", but I'll let you know as soon as I know anything more specific.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Q: 55

For the Necros's Undead Rebirth, what is the amount of HP recovered using it?

Q: 56

For the Necros's Fleshcrafting ability, can they only have one instance of it on an undead at a time, or can they stack fleshcrafting on the same target?

Q: 57

When using Fleshcrafting on themselves with the Brutal Necromancer archetype, can the Necros apply Necrotic Shield to themselves?
    Last edited by Skaia; 2019-04-04 at 02:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skaia View Post
    Q: 55

For the Necros's Undead Rebirth, what is the amount of HP recovered using it?

Q: 56

For the Necros's Fleshcrafting ability, can they only have one instance of it on an undead at a time, or can they stack fleshcrafting on the same target?

Q: 57

When using Fleshcrafting on themselves with the Brutal Necromancer archetype, can the Necros apply Necrotic Shield to themselves?
    A55We see your confusion, given the costs involved we recommend 5d8+Death sphere caster level and will be updating to reflect this.

A56Given the abilities built in advancements some GMs may wish to limit it to only a single fleshcraft enhancement. However, since there are restrictions on multiple selections and built in ramping for leveling, the resource expenditure as written can be used as often as it can be paid for. In playtesting it was generally found to be more effective to spread fleshcrafts on multiple creatures than stacking on a single creature.

A57Yes.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

Q: 58

I'm having some difficulty deciphering something in Trinity Knight. When Path of the Knight references Proficiency, what exactly does it advance from your Spheres of Might classes? I can't find a reference to 'proficiency' as a class feature beyond traditions.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcClaren View Post
    Q: 58

I'm having some difficulty deciphering something in Trinity Knight. When Path of the Knight references Proficiency, what exactly does it advance from your Spheres of Might classes? I can't find a reference to 'proficiency' as a class feature beyond traditions.
    I believe this is a dated reference that is likely to be stripped from the final book, but I'll have to double-check with Christen on that since I'm not as familiar with Trinity Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    Q54
    Is there any rules/guide to making your own Veils?
    A54 Not formally, since there's a certain amount of art that goes into veil design which is best learned through experience, but I did link the general design guidelines that I use for designing and/or developing new veils and other akashic mechanics at the bottom of page 2 of this thread. Note that those are more back-end developer's notes than a proper consumer-facing "product".
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2019-04-15 at 03:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Q59 The trinity warrior text says "three aligned classes" but the table only seems to advance two. Whats up with that?

Q60 As there's no prohibition, I think I can take levels in both Trinity Angel and Trinity Warrior, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    Now reads: "A trinity angel with the protection sphere instead gains a special variant of the armored magic talent." Was intended to modify the talent not grant an extra talent.
    Speaking of that,

Q61 If i have both an astral suit and the protection sphere, and i used the Armored Magic option, do i have ACP/ASF to go with my customizations?

What is an Omninode, was that in Co7S?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I believe this is a dated reference that is likely to be stripped from the final book, but I'll have to double-check with Christen on that since I'm not as familiar with Trinity Knight.
    Bump! This is relevant to my table too :)

22. - Top - End - #112

Zombie

Q62: For the Undines FCB for Radiant applied to Unicorn Feathering which of the following is correct?

Fast Heal 5+3 per essence +FCB? for 1+ essence rounds.

Fast Heal 5+3 per essence for 1+ essence rounds with a burst heal to start of FCB?.
    Last edited by calyst; 2019-05-03 at 03:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by calyst View Post
    Q62: For the Undines FCB for Radiant applied to Unicorn Feathering which of the following is correct?

Fast Heal 5+3 per essence +FCB? for 1+ essence rounds.

Fast Heal 5+3 per essence for 1+ essence rounds with a burst heal to start of FCB?.
    The latter. The FCB modifies the total healing or damage granted by veil abilities by the gained amount, so in the case of a 5th level undine radiant using Unicorn Feathering, the target would gain an extra 5 points of healing up front, but they would not increase each occurrence of healing from their fast healing by that amount.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Bump! This is relevant to my table too :)
    Bumping again! And a new question!

Q63: If a multi-classing Daevic took Trinity Warrior (or any veilweaving class, but let's use Daevic here) would its Veils/maximum Essence increase based on its BAB?

What about its Passions? Would it gain those effects at the BAB it would've gained them at prior?

And what about Binds?

Q64: If you take Trinity Warrior, can you apply it to something like Sage to advance its class features that aren't dependent upon Spherecasting?
    Last edited by Galacktic; 2019-05-04 at 10:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

So the Daevic of Secre- erm, i mean, Knowledge states that it must have a neutral alignment. Does this mean it must have N as one alignment component (as a Druid) or that it must be purely neutral on both axes?

Also the Daevic aspect (Knowledge) as of the version I have lacks a section for what you get for essence investment. I can guess based on previous versions of Daevic aspect, but you probably should fix that if you haven't already.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    So the Daevic of Secre- erm, i mean, Knowledge states that it must have a neutral alignment. Does this mean it must have N as one alignment component (as a Druid) or that it must be purely neutral on both axes?

Also the Daevic aspect (Knowledge) as of the version I have lacks a section for what you get for essence investment. I can guess based on previous versions of Daevic aspect, but you probably should fix that if you haven't already.
    My version says they are "almost always of neutral alignment," which is less a rule and more a descriptive trend. Admittedly, it is unclear whether this implies 90% are true neutral or 90% are some form of neutral.

I'm guessing the stock essence investment line of "The granted bonuses increase by +1 for each point of essence invested in this veil." is meant to apply here.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    Daevic passions always have a "are almost always of alignment X" entry so that players have a roleplaying hook and guidance. These are not hard limitations and you can play a Knowledge daevic of any alignment, though TN or XN/NX Knowledge daevics are far and away the most common.

Nothing to fix because nothing's broken? It uses the exact same essence block as every other passion uses for the Daevic Aspect veil.

28. - Top - End - #118

NecromancerGuy

Question about weapon-like veils. Is the additional damage granted to some of them via investing essence, such as the additional d6s of bludgeoning damage gained to ebon stars, multiplied on critical hits or rolled twice via vital strike?
    "Across the rift of battle, a bridge of gossamer. And for one moment, it holds."

My Blog: Mostly random homebrew stuff, some assorted reviews, and a list of my published works.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Awun View Post
    Question about weapon-like veils. Is the additional damage granted to some of them via investing essence, such as the additional d6s of bludgeoning damage gained to ebon stars, multiplied on critical hits or rolled twice via vital strike?
    No. Bonus damage dice are never multiplied in Pathfinder unless specifically noted otherwise (this is true regardless of whether the bonus damage dice deal an energy type like fire or a physical type like bludgeoning).

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Q64 Ceptu have different Magic Item Slots than humanoids. As per the precedent set by Animals not being able to use hand slot veils, or indeed veils of any item slot they lack, does this mean that several veil slots are barred to them?

In this case they would lose the Hands, Belt, and Body slots if i am reading correctly. (Oddly enough they keep the Feet slot.)

(I'd ask about if that precedent applied to Rajah titles too, but I think Sslarn said he didn't work on Rajah)

Q65 Is initiator level a valid pick for Trinity Warrior to set equal to BAB?