New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Lost Spheres Publishing FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Bumping again! And a new question!

Q63: If a multi-classing Daevic took Trinity Warrior (or any veilweaving class, but let's use Daevic here) would its Veils/maximum Essence increase based on its BAB?

What about its Passions? Would it gain those effects at the BAB it would've gained them at prior?

And what about Binds?

A63Trinity Warrior applies to resolution and effective level, not actual level. So it applies to SR, level dependent scaling, and so on. It was never intended to "unlock" new features. So in the case of daevics the Passion feature which you gain at level one advances off of BAB, but essence, veils, and binds would be dependent on actual levels.

Q64: If you take Trinity Warrior, can you apply it to something like Sage to advance its class features that aren't dependent upon Spherecasting?
    Sage would get a progression of chi gong, base esoteric training, and so on but no esoteries until leveling into them.

2. - Top - End - #122

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    Q64 Ceptu have different Magic Item Slots than humanoids. As per the precedent set by Animals not being able to use hand slot veils, or indeed veils of any item slot they lack, does this mean that several veil slots are barred to them?

In this case they would lose the Hands, Belt, and Body slots if i am reading correctly. (Oddly enough they keep the Feet slot.)

(I'd ask about if that precedent applied to Rajah titles too, but I think Sslarn said he didn't work on Rajah)

Q65 Is initiator level a valid pick for Trinity Warrior to set equal to BAB?
    A64 Ceptu were an OGL add from another company that we like a lot, but akashic ceptu we recommend that their ring slots be usable to bind any bind they have access to but have lost a standard slot for.

A65 Effective initiator yes, but no new maneuvers would be granted until leveled into.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    A65 Effective initiator yes, but no new maneuvers would be granted until leveled into.
    Well yeah, but being able to use one feat and one level to get God of the Hourglass is still amazing. :P

Wait, going of what Galactick said, can Trinity Warrior and/or Academic Dual Focus be used to advance points? Because if they can advance Essence and/or Customization points that's pretty amazing.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    Sage would get a progression of chi gong, base esoteric training, and so on but no esoteries until leveling into them.
    Awesome, thank you!

Q66 Shouldn't Essence advance based off that wording then? It's a class feature they have at level 1, that they just get more of per level.

Addendum: I'm asking about Trinity Knight again :P

Q: 58

I'm having some difficulty deciphering something in Trinity Knight. When Path of the Knight references Proficiency, what exactly does it advance from your Spheres of Might classes? I can't find a reference to 'proficiency' as a class feature beyond traditions.
    Basically, what is Path of the Knight supposed to -do-?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

i think that means the proficient/adept/expert progression?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Q67: Brutal Necros has this ability via Fleshcrafting

Combat Talent: The undead gains a combat sphere and a talent from that sphere (this ability can be selected multiple times, although each sphere can only be selected once). Mindless undead are innately aware of how to use these abilities, but can only select from the following spheres: Athletics, Berserker, Brute, Guardian, Wrestling. Undead use Strength as their practitioner modifier.

It doesn't have the usual "If you have the base sphere you instead get a talent of your choice" clause, what happens if the undead in question has the base sphere? Usually this wouldn't be a problem since mindless undead from the Death sphere don't have talents, but Fleshcrafting can be used on Corpse puppets, who do get talents. And in Brutal Necro's case, themselves.
    Last edited by ElZero; 2019-05-16 at 08:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElZero View Post
    Q67:
    It doesn't have the usual "If you have the base sphere you instead get a talent of your choice" clause, what happens if the undead in question has the base sphere? Usually this wouldn't be a problem since mindless undead from the Death sphere don't have talents, but Fleshcrafting can be used on Corpse puppets, who do get talents. And in Brutal Necro's case, themselves.
    That's part of the base SoM rules, see here:
    Whenever a character gains a combat talent, they may spend it on a combat sphere. The first time a character spends a combat talent on a sphere, they gain that sphere’s base abilities. After a character possesses a base sphere, they may spend additional combat talents to gain talents specifically associated with that sphere. If a character is granted a bonus sphere that they already possess (such as through a class feature), they instead may gain one talent of their choice from that sphere.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's assume that I'm playing a Trinity Knight who got into the class through Blacksmith 3/Class A 1/Class B 1.

The way the class is laid out means that at best you're only going to be getting 5 additional levels worth of Blacksmith class features, as you can only advance it at the levels where you can pick any two classes to advance.

So over 10 levels, you'll be getting 5 talents with the base class because Blacksmith gets a talent every level.

Path of the Knight means that every odd level you get to poke up your combat talents class feature by 1 additional level.

So while at the end of the class you have 8 levels of Blacksmith class features, you have 13 levels worth of combat talents.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Von Krieger View Post
    Let's assume that I'm playing a Trinity Knight who got into the class through Blacksmith 3/Class A 1/Class B 1.

The way the class is laid out means that at best you're only going to be getting 5 additional levels worth of Blacksmith class features, as you can only advance it at the levels where you can pick any two classes to advance.

So over 10 levels, you'll be getting 5 talents with the base class because Blacksmith gets a talent every level.

Path of the Knight means that every odd level you get to poke up your combat talents class feature by 1 additional level.

So while at the end of the class you have 8 levels of Blacksmith class features, you have 13 levels worth of combat talents.
    While I'd be -ecstatic- if that were the case, I'd still love if the devs chimed in on this situation :) I have a character who is a Sage/Armorist/Daevic about to go into Trinity Knight and what Path of the Knight actually does will influence which class I pick for it incredibly heavily.

10. - Top - End - #130

NecromancerGuy

While I'd be -ecstatic- if that were the case, I'd still love if the devs chimed in on this situation :) I have a character who is a Sage/Armorist/Daevic about to go into Trinity Knight and what Path of the Knight actually does will influence which class I pick for it incredibly heavily.
    This is technically the case, the intent of the class given its name is to rate between 3 non-prestige classes. Two of these classes should be able to manifest powers or cast. Because of the way the class structure lines up a champion class or other similar hybrid class can effectively grant a larger than average group of combat talents depending on leveling choices. If the casting classes follow the intent of the design (including source origin mechanics), the casting classes would be distinct traditions and be handled as separate classes and pools.

In case you are referencing an older version of the class here are current requirements:

Requirements: To qualify to become a Trinity Knight,
    a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:

*Base attack bonus +5
    *Levels in three non-prestige classes, two of which must have the following abilities: the ability to cast 1st level spells from a single distinct source,
    spherecasting CL 1st, essence pool of 3, or manifest 1st level powers. Source type may not repeat or stack.
    *Feat: Trinity Warrior
    *Skills: Knowledge (martial, religion, or history) 5
    ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks
    *Special: Must be a member of the Eternal Dawning.

Sage/Armorist/Daevic is pretty amazing sounding.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Is the version on spheres wikidot up to date?

Is the class you advance with Path of the knight supposed to be one of your three aligned classes?

12. - Top - End - #132

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yue Ryong View Post
    What Fly bonus should a Darkness Dragon have? Is there any way to increase it?
    As a veil effect, mounts created by the Darkness Dragon veil use the veilweaver's Acrobatics bonus.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q71 The Horns of the Minotaur veil states that it is always treated as a secondary natural attack, unlike most gore attacks. Is this also an exception to the rule about singular natural attacks, i.e. that a creature with a single natural attack always treats it as a primary attack with a 1.5xSTR.

Q72 The Foot bind for the Coward's Boots veil grants the veilweaver the Essence of Movement feat, along with allowing essence invested in the Coward's Boots to also apply to Essence of Movement. Does this also grant the +1 essence of the Essence of Movement feat?

Q73 If I have an Akashic Catalyst on a location where I have multiple veils shaped, does the bonus essence apply to all of them?

Q74 Does Temporary Essence come pre-allocated, or does it have to be allocated with a swift action after it is generated?

Q75 Gorget of the Wyrm does not increase the Area of Effect. Is this intended, possibly to balance the lack of a cooldown?

Q76 Does being a Daevic of Love prevent you from having a psicrystal (the same way it prevents you from having a familiar, animal companion, eidolon, etc.)

Q77 When the Breastplate of Bloody Conflict is used to add the vicious quality to a weapon, does the bleed damage taken from the vicious quality stack with itself?

Q78 If an Akasin philosophy Guru meditates in an area of bright light, can they recover essence burn and gain temporary essence at the same time?

Q79 When using Brutal Throw to apply Power Attack to thrown weapons, can you two-hand a thrown weapon for the 1:3 ratio?

Q80 Why does the temp hp from the Daevic Aspect Dominion bind take so much longer to recover than other veil-based sources of temp hp?

Q81 Can you make a traditional magic weapon essence-forged, or does essence-forged not stack with other weapon enchantments?

Q82 Can an Eclipse's Occultation perform a full attack or other full-round action if the Eclipse channels their standard action through it?

Q83 When a Radiant uses their essence bond ability to extract a condition from an ally, do they have to pull all the invested essence from that ally, or just any amount? For an example, if I have 3 essence invested in ally, and use essence bond to pull a condition from them, do I have to pull all 3 essence, or can I just pull 1?

Q84 As I understand it, the Eclipse's Dark Intensity ability works as follows; when they shape their veils for the day, they choose from one of 4 options. Option A, shape an additional Hand slot veil. Option B, shape an additional Feet slot veil. Option C, treat the veil(s) in the Hand slot as though they have one additional point of essence invested. Option D, treat the veil(s) in the Feet slot as though they have one additional veil invested. An Eclipse with Option A, but not C, gains the ability to perform a standard action two-weapon attack, and an Eclipse with Option B, but not D, increases any (one?) movement speed by 20 ft. Is this correct?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Most of those are really good questions, (I particularly look forward to an official answer on how Catalysts work with stuff like Twinveil), but a few can be answered via existing rules, so here you go!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    Q77 When the Breastplate of Bloody Conflict is used to add the vicious quality to a weapon, does the bleed damage taken from the vicious quality stack with itself?
    Per general Pathfinder rules, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRB
    Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage. When two or more bleed effects deal the same kind of damage, take the worse effect.
    Q79 When using Brutal Throw to apply Power Attack to thrown weapons, can you two-hand a thrown weapon for the 1:3 ratio?
    I'm gonna assume you meant Powerful Throw, not Brutal Throw. Anywho, you need the Two-Handed Thrower feat to apply 1.5x Strength to a two-handed thrown weapon (and to get the action down from a full-round to a standard, in case you didn't know about that fun little rule).

Q84 As I understand it, the Eclipse's Dark Intensity ability works as follows; when they shape their veils for the day, they choose from one of 4 options. Option A, shape an additional Hand slot veil. Option B, shape an additional Feet slot veil. Option C, treat the veil(s) in the Hand slot as though they have one additional point of essence invested. Option D, treat the veil(s) in the Feet slot as though they have one additional veil invested. An Eclipse with Option A, but not C, gains the ability to perform a standard action two-weapon attack, and an Eclipse with Option B, but not D, increases any (one?) movement speed by 20 ft. Is this correct?
    That is exactly what the ability says, so I'm gonna go with "yes".
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.

16. - Top - End - #136

Q85: Who do I have to bribe to get an Akashic Kineticist archetype and/or options, perhaps in the new Akashic Realms series?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biapolis View Post
    Q85: Who do I have to bribe to get an Akashic Kineticist archetype and/or options, perhaps in the new Akashic Realms series?
    A85:Bribery is generally not necessary. Honestly, the main reason I, personally, haven't done an akashic kineticist is because I felt like the nexus (particularly one leaning into the Genie's Ambition set and Elemental convergence) filled a lot of that space. I can definitely bring it up to Christen and see if we have a spot for it though.

I've skipped a few of the following questions as they seem to have been answered adequately already.

Q71 The Horns of the Minotaur veil states that it is always treated as a secondary natural attack, unlike most gore attacks. Is this also an exception to the rule about singular natural attacks, i.e. that a creature with a single natural attack always treats it as a primary attack with a 1.5xSTR.
    A71: Yes.

Q72 The Foot bind for the Coward's Boots veil grants the veilweaver the Essence of Movement feat, along with allowing essence invested in the Coward's Boots to also apply to Essence of Movement. Does this also grant the +1 essence of the Essence of Movement feat?
    A72 Yes.

Q73 If I have an Akashic Catalyst on a location where I have multiple veils shaped, does the bonus essence apply to all of them?
    A73: As long as they have essence invested in them and it's not the Ring slot (which has a specifically called out limit of 1 in the catalyst itself), yes.

Q74 Does Temporary Essence come pre-allocated, or does it have to be allocated with a swift action after it is generated?
    A74: Some abilities specifically give you the ability to allocate temporary essence as part of generating it, but otherwise you need to spend an action to reallocate (typically a swift action).

Q75 Gorget of the Wyrm does not increase the Area of Effect. Is this intended, possibly to balance the lack of a cooldown?
    A75: Yes.

Q76 Does being a Daevic of Love prevent you from having a psicrystal (the same way it prevents you from having a familiar, animal companion, eidolon, etc.)
    A76: This one's a bit vague do the fact that it's never clearly stated whether a psicrystal is a creature or an object (since it has elements of both statuses). I would say that the daevic bond does not interfere in this instance as it's clear from the text of both abilities that the psicrystal is not truly a separate entity, and thus nothing that would trigger the clause. However, a GM would be perfectly justified in ruling differently.

Q78 If an Akasin philosophy Guru meditates in an area of bright light, can they recover essence burn and gain temporary essence at the same time?
    A78: Yes.

Q80 Why does the temp hp from the Daevic Aspect Dominion bind take so much longer to recover than other veil-based sources of temp hp?
    A80: It is not intended to. That text predates the updates made in Akashic Trinity and later entries which unifies how temporary hit points are handled for all veils:

Temporary hit points and additional Hit Dice:
    Temporary hit points and additional HD granted by veils
    or other akashic effects start at full when essence is first
    invested and regenerate at a rate of 1 hit point per minute,
    but cannot be restored by removing and re-adding essence
    to the veil. Essence invested in a veil or other akashic
    receptacle that grants up to a certain amount of temporary
    hit points or bonus Hit Dice after the first time you
    invest essence for the day instead starts at 1 hit point and
    regenerates up to its normal maximum amount.

Q81 Can you make a traditional magic weapon essence-forged, or does essence-forged not stack with other weapon enchantments?
    A81: An essence-forged weapon is a unique magical item. As noted in the essence-forged description "The unusual nature of essence forged weapons prevents them from being enchanted normally and a weapon must be created as an essence forged weapon as part of the crafting process". Essence-forged cannot be added to other enchantments, nor can other enchantments be added to essence-forged weapons.

Q82 Can an Eclipse's Occultation perform a full attack or other full-round action if the Eclipse channels their standard action through it?
    A82: No. The occultation is not a separate creature being given actions by the eclipse that it then takes itself, it is a channel for the eclipse's own abilities. When the eclipse channels a standard action through the occultation, the eclipse is using their own action to generate an effect and treating the occultation as the point of origin. The occultation itself never has anything beyond a move action.

Q83 When a Radiant uses their essence bond ability to extract a condition from an ally, do they have to pull all the invested essence from that ally, or just any amount? For an example, if I have 3 essence invested in ally, and use essence bond to pull a condition from them, do I have to pull all 3 essence, or can I just pull 1?
    A83: As long as the radiant pulls at least one point of invested essence out of the ally, the radiant can also extract a negative condition they have unlocked the ability to remove.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Honestly, the main reason I, personally, haven't done an akashic kineticist is because I felt like the nexus (particularly one leaning into the Genie's Ambition set and Elemental convergence) filled a lot of that space. I can definitely bring it up to Christen and see if we have a spot for it though.
    As someone currently playing a Suli Nexus with Elemental as their first Convergence, it does feel like an akashic Kineticist; The higher tier Convergence options modify your 'blasts', and the veils cover the miscellaneous Wild Talents. Heck, even the 'burn' system is there! Speaking of the Akashic Realms series...

Q86: Is there any update on the estimated release timeframe for Akashic Realms: Emperors & Einherjar? I haven't seen anything on it since the announcement, which was almost three months ago.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut View Post
    As someone currently playing a Suli Nexus with Elemental as their first Convergence, it does feel like an akashic Kineticist; The higher tier Convergence options modify your 'blasts', and the veils cover the miscellaneous Wild Talents. Heck, even the 'burn' system is there! Speaking of the Akashic Realms series...

Q86: Is there any update on the estimated release timeframe for Akashic Realms: Emperors & Einherjar? I haven't seen anything on it since the announcement, which was almost three months ago.
    I admit, part of the reason I so enjoy Kineticists is the the burn mechanic, but mostly because it can knock you unconscious in a cinematically pleasing way. I don’t believe the Nexus quite has that aspect? But I do suppose other then that, ya it is a very accurate fit!

Also seconding the question!!!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Biapolis View Post
    I admit, part of the reason I so enjoy Kineticists is the the burn mechanic, but mostly because it can knock you unconscious in a cinematically pleasing way. I don’t believe the Nexus quite has that aspect? But I do suppose other then that, ya it is a very accurate fit!

Also seconding the question!!!
    The Kineticist 'burn' is very cinematic/DBZ-esque, but having played under some ruthless DMs, falling unconscious in battle meant your character was in serious danger of being coup-de-grace'd. Akashic burn is much less dangerous, like temporarily burning out your power reserves for subsystems to overcharge the weapons/shields.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

A86: Christen is currently in the process of shipping out over 6,000 pounds worth of City of 7 Seraph books. As of our last conversation he has all the art and assets and just needs to finish shipping out all the already-paid-for product so he can sit down and wrap up E&E. I expect shipping will likely take at least another week or two since he's personally handling all the shipping and has a few people who backed at the level where he offered face-to-face delivery if they lived in his area. Shipping out close to 1,000 books with a combination of hand delivery, international, etc. can take a bit.

22. - Top - End - #142

A85:Bribery is generally not necessary. Honestly, the main reason I, personally, haven't done an akashic kineticist is because I felt like the nexus (particularly one leaning into the Genie's Ambition set and Elemental convergence) filled a lot of that space. I can definitely bring it up to Christen and see if we have a spot for it though
    Changing Burn to temporary Essence with the same drawbacks would be an interesting element to include in an Akashineticist imo. Pushing past your limits for a power boost meshes well with the flavor of the system

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

A86: Christen is currently in the process of shipping out over 6,000 pounds worth of City of 7 Seraph books. As of our last conversation he has all the art and assets and just needs to finish shipping out all the already-paid-for product so he can sit down and wrap up E&E. I expect shipping will likely take at least another week or two since he's personally handling all the shipping and has a few people who backed at the level where he offered personal delivery if they lived in his area. Shipping out close to 1,000 books with a combination of hand delivery, international, etc. can take a bit.
    Thanks for the update! I couldn't imagine handling a full-scale shipping operation on my own, I would go mad. I'm super excited for the new Convergences to round out the Outer Planes, and their associated veil sets, if applicable. Your work is astoundingly superb, from fluff to crunch to balance, and whoever publishes your Akashic stuff has a guaranteed customer.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the update! I couldn't imagine handling a full-scale shipping operation on my own, I would go mad. I'm super excited for the new Convergences to round out the Outer Planes, and their associated veil sets, if applicable. Your work is astoundingly superb, from fluff to crunch to balance, and whoever publishes your Akashic stuff has a guaranteed customer.
    Thanks! I really appreciate that. Hopefully once the spigot on the new materials gets turned and things start flowing out again, you'll have a whole lot of new stuff to check out and enjoy

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Q87:I have a question about the Eclipse's Enigma ability.
    Enigmas can be used whenever the eclipse makes an attack action or uses a targeted veil ability (any effect from a veil that requires you to select one or more targets for the effect, but not effects that affect an area) against an opponent who is flat-footed, flanked, denied their Dexterity bonus to AC, or who is unaware of the eclipse’s presence. If the weapon or veil attack misses, or if the target succeeds on their save against the veil effect, the effects of the enigma are wasted. If the veil effect grants multiple attack rolls, only one attack roll needs to connect to deliver the enigma's effects. The eclipse can only apply the effects of a single enigma on a given attack action or veil ability activation; if a veil grants multiple attacks against a single target as part of its activation, only one attack benefits from the enigma’s effects.
    Okay, so as written, Enigmas activate when a Rogue would get Sneak Attack, but can only be used on an attack action, which is a standard action attack. This means you can't do a full attack and get an Enigma effect. However, they also can activate on a veil which grants multiple attacks as part of its activation (Riven Darts is the first such veil that comes to mind, and I know there are others), giving you multiple chances to apply the Enigma.

I just wanted to make sure that that was intentional and, if possible, ask what was the thought process behind it? Eclipse has at least three veils on its list which grant double weapons (Ebon Stars, Sable Shots, and Gauntlets of the Void) but can't really use them for TWF if they want to use a major class feature. Should I be building my Eclipse with Vital Strike and/or feinting in mind?

Second question that just occurred to me while looking at Enigmas:
    Q88: The Shadowed Reach Enigma allows you to extend your reach. Now, I get how this would work when attacking flat-footed or unaware enemies, but what about flanking? Say you've got two allies flanking an enemy and you stand behind one of your allies, so if you had reach (which you don't until you activate the Enigma) you would be flanking. Can you activate it?
    The Library of Metzofitz: An up-to-date reference document for all of your Akashic, Path of War, and Psionic needs. In the works: Gonzo and Legendary material.

Pathfinder Caster Spreadsheet: For when you need to check if there's a spontaneous caster Witch or a Charisma-based Alchemist (the answer is yes). Includes manifesters, initiators, and veilweavers. Now with a colorblind version!

Akashic Character Sheet: Tracks invested Essence, plenty of space for veils and other Akashic hullabaloo.

26. - Top - End - #146

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moonhand View Post
    Q87:
    I just wanted to make sure that that was intentional and, if possible, ask what was the thought process behind it? Eclipse has at least three veils on its list which grant double weapons (Ebon Stars, Sable Shots, and Gauntlets of the Void) but can't really use them for TWF if they want to use a major class feature. Should I be building my Eclipse with Vital Strike and/or feinting in mind?
    I have the exact same situation in my game, specifically ebon stars.
    I 'solved' it by suggesting my player to use the Dual wielding Sphere from Spheres of Might instead of the two weapon fighting feat tree in vanilla.
    I has a rather nice synergy

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Q87:I have a question about the Eclipse's Enigma ability.

Okay, so as written, Enigmas activate when a Rogue would get Sneak Attack, but can only be used on an attack action, which is a standard action attack. This means you can't do a full attack and get an Enigma effect. However, they also can activate on a veil which grants multiple attacks as part of its activation (Riven Darts is the first such veil that comes to mind, and I know there are others), giving you multiple chances to apply the Enigma.

A87 Yep, that's intentional. At 10th level the eclipse gains the ability to make two attacks as part of an attack action and at 11th level they gain binary darkness and can start unleashing up to 4 enigma-enhanced attacks against a single target at BAB +6/+6/+6/+6 (almost always with flanking); a traditional TWF routine at that level would be +6/+6/+1/+1. The eclipse is actually primarily a utility/control type character and their occultation gives them extreme flexibility and a wealth of tactical options, so the limitations that exist ensure the class follows its anticipated curve and doesn't shatter balance and performance expectations. This is also why veils like Ebon Stars and Sable Shots specify that you can shape "up to" two of the granted weapon; you don't have to shape both if you don't have a use for both.

Second question that just occurred to me while looking at Enigmas:
    Q88: The Shadowed Reach Enigma allows you to extend your reach. Now, I get how this would work when attacking flat-footed or unaware enemies, but what about flanking? Say you've got two allies flanking an enemy and you stand behind one of your allies, so if you had reach (which you don't until you activate the Enigma) you would be flanking. Can you activate it?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Manyasone View Post
    I have the exact same situation in my game, specifically ebon stars.
    I 'solved' it by suggesting my player to use the Dual wielding Sphere from Spheres of Might instead of the two weapon fighting feat tree in vanilla.
    I has a rather nice synergy
    It's not coincidental that the eclipse is compatible with SoM (which is also used and supported in Co7S).

28. - Top - End - #148

Planetar

A87It's not coincidental that the eclipse is compatible with SoM (which is also used and supported in Co7S).
    Since you're co-author of both, I wasn't surprised
    the 'high-low combination' talent especially has a good feel for the second ebon star, since that is the one that provides tripping bonuses

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Ah, I see. So the best idea would be to start with one weapon and switch to two weapons later. And thank you for mentioning that all the attacks in that 4-hit combo are powered up with Enigmas. I would have thought that they would follow the same rule as the targeted veil Enigmas.

I'll probably stick with my Reaper's Scythe until 10th or 11th, then switch over to dual Ebon Stars/Sable Shots and have my Occultation do one while I do the other. (No offense, but I never use Spheres even when it's available.) Then again, losing out on that AC bonus from not having it out is kinda nasty, especially since the Eclipse doesn't get armor proficiency... Eh, it's a ways away. I'll figure it out later.

Bonus question I just thought of since Manyasone mentioned tripping:
    Q89: Are you supposed to get Enigma effects if you're using combat maneuvers? Can you, for instance, activate Shadowed Reach on a trip attempt?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

And thank you for mentioning that all the attacks in that 4-hit combo are powered up with Enigmas. I would have thought that they would follow the same rule as the targeted veil Enigmas.
    Do note that the 1 enigma per attack action limitation still applies; that 4-hit combo could be two Chilling Blow attacks and two Channeled Shadowstrikes, but it couldn't be a Channeled Shadowstrike, a Chilling Blow, a Disrupting Attack, and a Draining Blow, because each pair of Dark Intensity attacks only counts as a single attack action.

Q89: Are you supposed to get Enigma effects if you're using combat maneuvers? Can you, for instance, activate Shadowed Reach on a trip attempt?
    A89: Yeah, enigmas don't actually require you to deal damage first, so as long as all the other conditions are met, you can add enigma riders to combat maneuvers. If you wanted to e.g. send your occultation out and have it bull rush your barbarian ally towards an enemy and "buff" the barbarian with the escalation enigma, you could totally do that (and it actually happened in a game we played the other week).