New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Choir of the Winter Spectres

Also bad luck for the wendigoes that my target actually WAS a wolf.
    This was a complete guess on my part. I hadn't sided with either party, I just really needed him dead!
    Then I was protected by a trapper while I didn't really care about my own life.
    Could have gone either way and was a fun game!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Murska has been night killed by the final wendigoe. She was a necromancer.
    Is that a typo or am I out of date again?

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extrail View Post
    Personal notes. I didn't scry Elenna ever, because I didn't want the wolves to suspect me, because I was pretty hard on her early on. Still suspected her as a wolf, but given my power I figured i could withhold that for now. Also, the reason why I immediately knew he was lying was due to lady tialait' s earlier scry nearly costing Ramsus his life. It was a clutch save that stopped it, and both Murska, and I stopped him from being lynched. But well done wolves, and ghosts.
    I checked the numbers before I responded. Even if I had gotten you to lynch ff, you had the numbers to lynch Elenna the next day and win. Also, at that point I knew you had another necromancer that would just ask Xihirli about Elenna.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post

BTW Requilac, when you said in the ghost chat "Oh, by the way Tialait, you may still view the ghost QT but cannot post in it. " I think what happened was that you meant to say the wolf chat. Hence the confusion.
    Yes, I was referring to the Wolf QT when I said that you could view but not post in it. That was just one of he many typos I made during this campaign.

Well, I had fun even though the role distribution was pretty biased. One little comment: it felt kind of weird both balance-wise and story-wise that town could send PM's whenever but wolves couldn't talk in the QT during the day. (For that matter, couldn't we have technically gotten around that by PMing other wolves during the day?) Like, I see where you were going with that rule, but it might make more sense in a game where PMs aren't allowed? idk.
    I didn’t really think about it like that. I agree with you, it really didn’t make sense that the villagers could talk over PMs privately but the Wendigoes couldn’t commune over the QT during the day. Another short sight on my part. I need to be much more thoughtful when designing a game like this.

I wonder, would the necromancer role be more interesting/less powerful if there was no way to tell if a ghost was lying? Or would it just make the role completely useless? Optimal play for a wolf ghost would be to just say everyone was a wolf, so the necromancer would have to aim for villager ghosts who knew other villagers, such as masons. Probably would just be a sort of pointless role in that case, unfortunately. Oh well.
    I wouldn’t say that the Necromancer role would be useless if the Ghosts didn’t have to be honest, communication with dead players is still invaluable. Especially if a necromancer contacts another necromancer who died before revealing any results. It’s something worth considering, but I doubt I will run a game under this format again.

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    Game was fun. Thank you for hosting Req, and don't be so hard on yourself. The Necromancers would definitely have looked worse if town didn't score a quick lynch. I think making it so interference can happen, or each ghost can only be summoned by one person each night would have the role set entirely workable. If that's the case I think even three necromancers is fine, they can still only get one good scry a turn post wolf lynch.
    I am sure that if I implemented the “interference” and “limited number of contact” rule in the beginning things would have been much more balanced. Even then though, having two trappers might have been too much. It’s hard to tell really, because it certainly would have diminished the power gap between wolf and town, but I don’t think it would have completely leveled the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    I feel like the necromancers are still a little weaker than a seer, because they aren't great before a wendigoe dies. Having two trappers on the other hand seemed a bit too strong, especially considering we didn't know this ahead of time and we didn't have any wolf power roles.
    Yes, the two trappers and three necromancers was too much power for town. I really should have made a fool seer or fake trapper to better equalize things, like I was originally planning on doing. Too late now though.

One other thing that might have helped is denying town ghosts access to the network QT. This gave ghosts information that probably wasn't originally planned for in this game. It's hard to account for every contingency, but it's something to keep in mind if you run this again.
    I really shouldn’t have allowed ghosts to view other QTs, but I simply thought it made sense story wise for the ghosts to be able to see everything but not act on anything.I do regret it now though because of mechanics. I really should have thought through this rule set more.

Quote Originally Posted by rakkoon View Post

Is that a typo or am I out of date again?
    I assumed that since Murska’s name ended in “a” that they were a woman. A quick examination of his profile though reveals that he has marked “male” as his gender. That was just a typo on my part again, and not the first one I have made in this game.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

There was definitely some luck there, because you were after me before you even had a scry. I thought I had a chance at turning it around on you right up until you said you had a scry.
    Well you were acting suspiciously

I thought your and Elenna's exchange was a little too fabricated.

It's possible you would have succeeded on turning it on me, Ex said he liked your reasoning at least, but it was in my best interest to not engage on that level, I think. Let people think I only went hard because of the scry and that you forced my hand to reveal that I'm a seer in order to convince people. It seemed to work based on what Elenna said.

I kinda figured I would die, but looks like flat footed was on the same wavelength the wolves were.

Although the playing field wasn't super even, I don't want to take too much away from the town's play. The power roles played their part well, made good 'guesses', and without an early wolf lynch, we wouldn't have had such an easy time.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    Well you were acting suspiciously
    I always do

I thought your and Elenna's exchange was a little too fabricated.
    That one hurt because I agree about how it looked. At the same time, it wasn't fabricated at all.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

All in all, good fun!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

7. - Top - End - #247

That one hurt because I agree about how it looked. At the same time, it wasn't fabricated at all.
    I assume you knew about who each other was at that point right? Could have been a subconscious thing then, you're speaking with an ally, being more friendly, etc.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

8. - Top - End - #248

Twas a good game... though I do think I understand why roles that allow people to commune with the dead players usually don't exist. Town basically won once they managed to interrogate the spirit of a dead wendigo. Kinda unbalanced when you think about it.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durzan View Post
    Twas a good game... though I do think I understand why roles that allow people to commune with the dead players usually don't exist. Town basically won once they managed to interrogate the spirit of a dead wendigo. Kinda unbalanced when you think about it.
    I mean, in this case it was basically just a seer that only turned on when a Wendigoe died. The problem wasn't the role, but the amount of them.
    Show