Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 183
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Spoiler: Target
    Show

    Please be specific - what are you aiming for?

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rex500's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, sorry! I was aiming for one of the rider's kanaks. Whichever is close to the dwarf.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Lexius' shot is point blank for the size of the weapon, and it's spear punches right through the kank, and deep into the ground beyond. The insect spews green ichor in a great splash across several nearby guards, screams and dies, broken chitin and jitterring limbs - the poor rider, entirely unprepared, is tossed like a ragdoll, and lands in a messy heap some steps distant.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-01-14 at 12:42 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    With no alternative course of action open to him, Luca starts to methodically reload the ballista, using it as much as possible to keep him protected from the aim of the men on the roof. He hides behind cover while he works to reload as fast as possible, deciding that he would hold his next shot until he sees one of the kank riders trying to come in from the front, since those were easier targets than individuals on the roof.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Seeing all ballistae manned and seeing no benefit to breaking formation, Tertius simply follows Malonus into the wagon. When the kank riders start to catch up with the brothers he'd at least like to be able to look them in the eye without craning his head - or better yet, look down on them. He clambers up to the top of the wagon's wall, meeting eyes with his brothers and flashing a grin if they look up from reloading, and finds a spot to stand where he can build up momentum on his sap swings.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Getting up onto the top floor of the wagon, as suggested by the Kaptin.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    The wagon has a head start, and is accelerating steadily towards it's max speed of 'slow'. It is not, however, so far ahead that the troops cannot reach it. The riders catch up easily, poking the defenders on the walls with lances. More riders are still getting mounted, but will be joining the fun in a few moments.

    On the roof, yet another four guards appear, missile weapons at the ready. They're spaced fairly equally around the compound - the two closest fire their chatkchas, then run towards the gate, presumably planning to jump onto the wagon as it passes below.

    Spoiler: Rolls and so on
    Show

    Three riders reach the wagon - and since they can only reach the rear, they all try to stick poor Lexius - he's also the one who rudely shot on of their kanks, so they mislike him some.

    Cavalry charge:
    Rider1, attack: (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[12]
    Rider2, attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]
    Rider3, attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[7]

    Lexius is in cover, for a +4 to AC, and thus 21 is needed to hit him.

    General information: Tertius is on the walls, and can see everything and do ... pretty much anything. Attacking the riders with a small weapon isn't going to work, they'll be out of reach.

    Malonus has stated nothing except to enter the wagon, so I'm going to assume he's guarding the door.

    Luca and Lexius are at the ballitae, reloading I guess.

    The guards at the gate are now aware the wagon is under attack by the rest of the guards (because they can see the men on the roof). They stop trying to open the gate, and try instead to close it.

    Gate status: (1d20)[3] Low is good, high is bad.
    Khefta, who is by no means any kind of fool, mentally informs the mekillots that it's dinner time, and that the guards are snacks.
    Mekillot, attack: Rider1, attack: (1d20+21)[25]
    Damage: Swallow whole (there's no way they live - it's a whole bloody bunch of damage)

    I think I remembered everything. I hope.

    Forgot mekillot 2. And the chatkcha's. Jeez!! It doesn't matter - they have +21 to hit. We're going to assume it wasn't a nat1. Both gate guards disappear forever. I'll roll missile fire in OOC.


    As the guards reverse on the gate, and are just about to start closing it, the giant, sticky tongues of both mekillots lash out. With panicked screams both guards disappear, the last the world ever knows of them is a wet crunch and an abrupt end to their screams.

    The other guards all manage to entirely miss everything and everyone. The wagon reaches the gate, and manages to just squeeze through.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-01-19 at 05:39 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rex500's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Lexius smiles widely as the ballista shot turns one of the kanks into a messy heap.

    The moment is short-lived, however as his position is quickly surrounded by angry riders trying to skewer him with lances. Guess they must really like their giant bugs.

    Seeing that they won't let him reload the siege engine in peace, the Mir brother instead draws his longbow and aims towards one of their pursuers.
    Last edited by Rex500; 2019-01-20 at 11:44 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Spoiler: Drawing a weapon
    Show

    Is a move action. You can fire it too, if you so please.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rex500's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Spoiler: Drawing a weapon
    Show

    Is a move action. You can fire it too, if you so please.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What, really? :O Oh! no full defense then, and Lex will fire towards... hmm... one of the riders surrounding him. Preferably a human because favored enemy

    (1d20+6)[11] attack
    (1d8+3)[8] damage .

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Spoiler: Well, let's see ...
    Show

    So an 11 is not enough. But then, it's not really an 11. You get +1 for higher ground, and they lose -2 AC for charging. That makes it 14, and that is enough for a hit.

    Then there's the damage. It seems you've decided you get +3 - but you actually get +4, 2 for STR, and 2 for Favored Enemy.

    On the drawing of weapons, not only is it a move action - it can be done as part of movement. I'm not 100% sure whether that's a house rule, an interpretation, or simply the way it is.

    But bottom line, you do 9 points of damage to one of the three attackers. He takes an arrow to ... well, the shoulder, but doesn't fall.

    They are, however, in melee range. So if it wasn't for cover ... but you already knew that, I'm sure =)


    Lexius snaps out his bow, and with barely a moments aim sends an arrow into the shoulder of one of the three riders. The man grunts in pain, but remains in the saddle, presumably now further angered.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Luca finished loading his ballista, then contented himself to wait for an appropriate target to appear in front of his weapon. None had done sop thus far, since they had pushed out through the gates with the wagon, and the kanks had not yet been able to pass them and get in front. He decided to leave the ballista alone, so he climbed up onto the top of the wagon, where he expected the kank riders or gate guards to try to jump aboard Tahlia. As he moved, he drew his long blade, ready to fight should the need arise.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Tertius takes stock of the situation from atop the wagon and sees Luca emerging from his ballista berth, to which he gives a quick nod. He then moves to the edge of the wall nearer to Luca, keeping his mekillot sap in motion and waiting for a chance to intercept one of the pursuing guards with its whirling heft.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to move and standard to ready an attack. I don't know if I'm imagining the combat correctly but my impression is that since lances are reach weapons, the mekillot sap (also a reach weapon) won't be able to get at them again until they're close enough to stick Luca again. In any case, if the guards jump onto the wagon they'll definitely be in range, so rolling attack and potential damage:
    (1d20+7)[19] to hit
    (2d8+6)[14] nonlethal bludgeoning damage on a hit

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Moving from his initial position closer to Lex, Tertius happens to be on the wagon opposite one of the roof guards as the wagon rumbles past the gate. The guard, already running - much too late to change his mind - leaps regardless, and the mekillot sap snaps him sideways mid-jump, like a sling bullet would a sparrow. With a solid and unpleasant sound *WHOMPF!* he catches the sap midriff, tumbles head over heels into the side of the wagon, tumbles to the ground, and misses by mere inches an incredibly messy and painful death under the wheels.

    For a moment he stares wild-eyed into the sky, as if praising long dead gods for his undeserved survival.

    Then the kank riders run him over, sharp legs impaling him repeatedly in their busy pursuit.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Malonus fight defensively for protection.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Malonus fight defensively for protection.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    When fighting defensively, you can still attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rules:
    Fighting Defensively as a Standard Action
    You can choose to fight defensively when attacking. If you do so, you take a -4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the same round. See also: Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action.
    So ... if you want, make an attack roll against an enemy in range. You're by the door, which means with a ranged weapon you can attack the riders. You could also hold your action against anyone trying to enter the wagon. Or you can move, and attack from the wall of the wagon.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-01-31 at 08:57 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    As the wagon rumbles on, one enemy leaps from the roof of the compound onto the wall of the wagon - opposite where Tertius just repelled another. Being currently safe from easy retaliation, he launches one of his chatkchas at Tertius.

    Outside the wagon, the riders keep harassing. One stays around the back to stab at Lex, another tries for Tertius, and the last makes a valiant jump from the saddle, through the open door and into the fortress. Where Malonus awaits. He does not, however, time the jump right - for a sliver of a moment he has the gleam of triumph in his eyes, leaping forward, war club ready to strike. Then, as he lands, one foot slips, he flails about in panic for a moment, and then falls as the wagon rumbles on without a care in the world. You barely feel the bumb as the wheels crush him into pulp.

    In the back of the compound, another four riders are ready to start the chase, and more guards have started running - they'll take longer to keep up, but they'll get there eventually, especially if the wagon slows for any reason.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    First off, I need two jump checks, or the above may be wrong.
    Jump, wall guy: (1d20+5)[18] vs 10
    Jump, rider: (1d20+5)[6] vs 15

    Then, provided everything else works out as planned, some attacks:
    Wall guy, thrown chatkcha: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5]
    Rider, vs Lex: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[6]
    Rider, vs. Tertius: (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[5]
    Rider, vs Malonus: (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[9]

    Xristobal:
    Climb: (1d20+10)[25]
    Attacks: (1d20+7)[10] - (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8] - (1d4+5)[8]

    Again - I think that's everything.


    Out of nowhere, Xristobal appears next to the enemy on the walls. Like some sort of sand demon, he almost runs up the walls, striking with furious strength at the chatkcha thrower - the man is able to take a step backwards just in time, and the sharp blades cut gouges in his leather armor, but even so it's clear Xristobal is a far superior melee fighter.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-02-01 at 01:48 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Tertius grunts as a chatkcha flies through the air around him and a lance opens a gash in his side. He spares a glance to Xristobal's assault on the guard - just long enough to see the situation seems under control - before tightening his grip on the mekillot sap and leaning toward to make a retaliatory swing at the guard who pierced him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[22] to hit and (2d8+6)[9] damage if applicable.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rex500's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Lexius calmly aims towards the one rider harassing him. For now, the half-blood places his faith on his defensive position, as well as his skill.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lex will use rapid shot to fire twice
    (1d20+5)[25] 1st attack
    (1d8+4)[5]
    (1d20+5)[11] 2nd
    (1d8+4)[12]

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rex500's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. I think the first one might he a crit! :o, so another roll
    (1d20+5)[17]

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Malonus brings out his light crossbow and he shoots the rider who attack Malonus with his light crossbow.

    Spoiler: Malonus Attack Roll
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[15] Damage: (1d8)[6]

    Critical:

    Attack: (1d20+3)[13] Damage: (2d8)[9]

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Malonus trains his crossbow at the rider - but as he stumbles, falls and is crushed to pulp under the wheels of the wagon, he swings his aim, targets the rider attacking Tertius, and lets fly. At the same time, Tertius swings his huge sap, and both attacks strike true. The unfortunate rider takes a quarrel to the chest, then a giant clap to the side of his head, and tumbles off his mount, tumbling head over heels to the ground, where he struggles to regain his feet. He's not dead, but he won't be doing any more fighting today - or for the foreseeable future.

    For his part, Tertius' keen eye and steady hand compensate for the motion of both wagon and the enemy. With unerring accuracy, he fires true, placing a shaft straight through the heart of his foe. He falls from his kank, dead in an instant.

    Only one enemy remains an immediate threat - up on the walls, facing Xristobal.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Attack1: (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8]
    Attack2: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]


    Xristobal strikes furiously, both wrist razors finding their marks, and blood sprays left and right. The guard, realizing he's along and quite unable to match Xristobal, takes the one exit available to him - he leaps over the side of the wagon. After all, it's a safer proposition than staying.

    For now, there is only the crackling of the flames - but more riders are approaching fast.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-02-08 at 02:30 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Malonus reloads and shoots the closest rider nearby with his light crossbow.

    Spoiler: Malonus Attack Rolls:
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[16] Damage: (1d8)[3]

    Critical:

    Attack: (1d20+3)[18] Damage: (2d8)[11]

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Luca continued to stand guard up on the roof, ready for the enemy to come to him. But with the last of the higher ones falling, he changed his mind, and returned downwards into the wagon, where he took up his position once more at the ballista, ready to knock down any kank rider who might try to get in front of them to stop them.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rex500's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Lexius begins aiming towards the guard Xristobal scared off the wagon. Then, seeing that the guard lost his stomach for fighting the half-elf lowers his weapon instead.

    "Nice job, my brothers!"shouts Lexius. He takes a moment to analyze the situation, then decides to leave the ballista to either Xristobal or Tertius, while he keeps using his longbow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Lexius will move beside the ballista, and ready an attack against the first rider who comes within range.
    (1d20+6)[23] attack
    (1d8+4)[6] damage
    Last edited by Rex500; 2019-02-09 at 10:48 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    The wagon rumbles along merrily. However, you're followed by three riders, and soon four more emerge in front. They do not, however, turn to face you. Instead, they keep pace with you, doing ... something. Something which seemingly involves waving their arms around.

    All too soon, it becomes clear what they're up to. At this distance, you cannot easily identify the Templars - but you can identify the half-giants. So in all likelyhood, the riders have recruited Kalak's finest to assist them in this case of theft.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    To tally it all, there are three riders behind, four in front, along with one templar, two half-giants, and what looks like an additional four footmen.

    Ball is in your court, gentlemen. Let me point out tho, in case you're wondering: The odds aren't particularly bad. But I'm curious to see if you can find a way to non-combat solution.

    And before anyone asks, only one street is wide enough for the wagon - the Caravan Way, on which you are now. That's ... actually not 100% true, there are ways to get to the walls, and you could travel along the inside of the wall until you reach the gates - but you're a lot slower than the pursuers, and it's not really a solution. But for the sake of completeness, there it is =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-02-11 at 03:52 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Luca stands at the front of the wagon, facing the templars ahead of them. He yells at the top of his voice, "Get out of the way. We are recovering this wagon for the city. This House has not been paying their taxes, and we were sent to retrieve this wagon in lieu of the taxes." He gives no gesture indicating that he is a templar, and bears no symbol of such, but he speaks with the power and authority of a templar.


    Spoiler:
    Show
    Diplomacy check (1d20+8)[20]

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    The merchants henchman begins to object loudly, but is instantly silenced by a quick glance from the Tyrian templar.

    The templar is not a large man, nor is he imposing or physically powerful - rather, he has the look of a shrewd and calculated man who's very much used to getting his way. There is also something of the pracmatist in his eyes, as he steps forward and responds:

    Any such claims should have been cleared with the Templars, of course, but I'm willing to let this oversight go. I'm interested, however - the Bataxxa family is known to be wealthy, and should be able to pay. How would you like to settle this? I can go with you back to their compound, where we can make an official inquiry, and get your money, minus and taxes due.

    Of course, if for some reason you're more interested in this wagon, the Grand City of Tyr has no reason to stand in the way of your legal claim. However, that still leaves the question of clearing taxes. Do you have the means with you to pay?


    It's interesting that he doesn't ask which city has this strange claim to a wagon of all things, but regardless it's clear he's just fishing for the largest profit. He makes no effort to challenge Luca's claim, however.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Luca is quite satisfied with the way things are progressing. Much better than if they continue an extended brawl throughout the city and out into the desert. He decides that the man is as corrupt as most templars, and doesn't really have an ideological objection to that. So he decides to play along. Besides, he has a fair stash of money with him, and if paying to retrieve the wagon is the only way to recover it, then so be it. "Just because a House is capable of paying their taxes, doesn't mean that they are willing to, as I am sure you know. I am sure I can pay the city whatever taxes you think fair for retrieving the wagon to pay for what they owe. How much would you assess the taxes at?" he asks.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    The templar looks at the Bataxxa henchman, who rifles through his pockets, and comes up with a paltry amount of ceramics. The templar sneers, and turns to you:

    As I see it, the good relations between our respective cities if paramount. I will let you off with 25 ceramics in administrative expenses, as well as your name for future reference - I'm sure we'll have opportunity to work together again in the future.

    I'm Templar Provost Anaximenes.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Mir Brothers Travelling Company (Dark Sun, DnD3.5)

    Luca maintained a neutral expression at the price. He didn't want to show either way whether he was pleased or outraged at the price. He simply said, "That is a fair price for a tax. Here is thirty. Keep the extra for your men, for their diligence in service to Tyr." He took thirty ceramics from his pouch and handed it down to the templar, who had unknowingly just become a new contact for him to take advantage of in the future. A reliably greedy man could be very useful. "And my name, for future reference, is Luca. Luca Mir. I am sure we will encounter each other again. It is good to encounter an honest man," he adds, for the benefit of those others present who might think it was a bribe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •