New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Servants of the Thrallherd IC 2 [3.5, faster posting speed]

You are servants - true believers - in Jon Il-Kim, a charismatic half-elf who will bring great things when he rules the continent of Cora. Unfortunately, not all share in the great vision. The Emperor who rules in Josen resists. Josen, located in a great valley that is the only trade-worthy pass in the Hwacha Mountains that divide the continent in two, is under siege. It is a great and powerful city, able to hold out for years. Wyvern riders, shapeshifted arcanists, and others regularly test and often pass the siege lines.

You have been granted a personal audience with Great Il-Kim. He radiates a tangible power that you can feel and smell, and the presence of his mind is almost overwhelming to those with open minds. He is flanked by his three 'shadows,' powerful warlords in their own right.

"Unlikely though it may seem, our victory is not certain. The might and magic of Josen is powerful. Their walls are thick and strong, their wards ancient and powerful - for this place has been the navel of Cora for millenia. Only by my constant presence here can the enemy forces be kept in check." Your master sighs, seeming tired; it's quite disturbing.

He gestures at one of his three shadows, a great and powerful cerebremancer. "Through careful divination and astral reconaissance, Irfan here has detected what he believes to be an artifact-grade weapon left over from the War of Sundering. It is far to the north, somewhere beneath the mountains. Find it, and bring it to me.

I send only a few of you, my faithful, for the road is long and the enemy has many scryers. A small force moving quickly may escape detection where a battalion would not. The road will be long and hard, and will pass through many wild lands, but I know you will not fail me. I have placed the direction to the artifacts into your minds. You will leave shortly after the fifth bell tomorrow morning. We will launch a heavy magical attack on one segment of the walls; wait about five minutes, and then go. Your passage will be unnoticed."

He lays his hands on each of your heads in turn. "Be careful, my children."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Thrallherd IC 2 [3.5, faster posting speed]

Reserved for future use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Rex snarls at the price. It was too much. Perhaps they could go see this person and persuade them otherwise, drop the price or something different? But no, that seemed too much of brow beating, and not what they were about.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

During the long wait for the arrival of their contact, Xaanthios had begun a quiet meditation focused on his connection to the Lord and Master. Slim as it was, the connection of thought was enough to bring a soft smile to the man’s face.

As the conversation progressed, Xaanthios extended his thoughts through the focus that had been granted them, conveying to his old friend the details of their current situation. A small frown furrows his brow moments later as a stern reply echoes in his mind.

”We are not to divert from our mission.” His voice is soft but stern, more direct than is his norm. “You require funds? Give me raw materials, and I will increase their value a hundredfold, that you might complete your own mission. In the meantime, we must needs find our way below these lands. Dare we separate to pursue options before returning here? I believe we each have strengths we can leverage to bring our goals to fruition.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Rex thinks for a moment, then looks at everyone in the eyes. "I think we should split up, we can cover more ground that way. Xaan and I will go to the Psion's tower, Xaan can speak to his strength, perhaps we can encourage them to help, or hire them, or...something. Melinda and Cendrik, you go talk to the Mages, perhaps Melinda will be able to speak to them where we cannot? We meet up here in 24 hours, try to find anything on this Fentir character along the way. Sound good?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

"Sure, why not? I'm not a wizard, or an intellectual, but I am good at talking to people." Melinda shrugs.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Xaanthios & RexThaun

The psion’s dome is made up of a large number of large, triangular wooden panels that collectively form a half-sphere rising out of the ground. Higher on the structure, a number of glass panels provide light to the inside. You’ve never seen anything else like it.

There’s not an obvious door, but there is a rock-covered path going around the right side from the street. Feet crunching on the gravel, you walk around and find a bare courtyard walled in on both sides, with a door leading from it to the dome. A middle-aged woman is sitting on air, six inches off the ground, with her legs crossed and her palm on her knees. She obviously heard you coming.

“A good morning to you.”

Melinda & Cendrick

A small grass lawn forms a boundary between a tall stone tower of stone and the road. The white stone of the tower is so polished that it looks almost like ivory. A walkway leads into a covered arch that, with no door, goes straight into the first floor. As you pass through the arch, you hear a faint ringing sound upstairs, as that of a bell.

A tiny reddish figure that looks sort of like a humanoid winged toad lands in front of you. Melinda easily recognizes it as a homunculus, a mute construct created by some wizards. It looks up at the two of you and studies you, and then makes a questioning gesture.

Two large-sized constructs, some type of obscure and unusual golem, block the stairwell at the rear of the open area. There are several chairs and tables sitting around, and a large brass statue of a greataxe-wielding minotaur stands opposite an ornate tapestry depicting some battle. You’d have to get closer to either one to study them in more detail, as the tower is a full fifty-five feet in diameter.

The homunculus seems to be waiting for you to speak.
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-12-31 at 04:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

As they walked, Xaanthios had continued some of the conversation that he had started previously with Rex. "I have been in the service for a very, very long time. I was a craftsman, and a very good one, when He first called to me. He opened my mind to a great many possibilities, and showed me how the powers of my mind could outperform my hands in ways I had never even imagined. Still... the skills of a craftsman were not the only skills He needed.
    I have done... much, in His service. Lines that perhaps I would not have crossed, in the time before. Perhaps this is why he chose me to accompany this most urgent mission."

~~~

Facing the new floating stranger, Xaanthios bows deeply. "Good Morning to you. I am Xaanthios the Constructor, and this is Rex'Thaun Drakelord. We are hoping we might acquire your assistance, or the assistance of the Psion of this house, in a venture we are undertaking."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Xaanthios & RexThaun

“And what might that be?” She responds as she stands – with her feet resting on the air a few inches above the ground. “I am Magdalen, and my husband Filister and I live here. Aside from taking a very few students, and a little business imbuing items with power, we do not have much to do with ventures, adventures, or other such things. Not since we were younger anyway.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cendrik

"This is Melinda, and I am Cendrik Blackwater. We are part of a group of adventurers passing through. I understand your master is the greatest wizard in at least this city. We are here to see what services your master offers and perhaps do business. Is he available?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Cendrick & Melinda

The homunculus crosses its arms and taps its foot in a waiting pose. It has an ugly expression on its little red face.

A dwarf carrying a wand and spell component pouch comes down the steps, handling them with ease despite his short legs. Even though he’s wearing normal clothes instead of a robe, it’s obvious that the dwarf is a wizard.

He speaks in a relatively high-pitched, clear voice for a dwarf. “I am Brand, one of Mezzir-Shazz’s apprentices. Since he has not requested your presence, the fee for an appointment is 500 gold pieces, or some other sufficiently interesting form of payment. He is indeed the greatest wielder of arcane might in the city, and is busy with his studies, personal projects, and overseeing our efforts and does not offer ‘services’ for sale to anyone who walks in off the street.”

He waits for your response.
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-05 at 11:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Thank you for coming down Brand. As an apprentice to the greatest wielder of the arcane, perhaps your own skills in the arcane have surpassed most others and you can make use of the results of your hard work for fair trade?"
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Brand responds with a slight sneer on his face.

"And slow the growth of my studies of the denizens of the outer planes? Certainly not. Successful conjuration and binding demands pure focus. I doubt I will ever engage in the enchantment of items for others.

If you are poverty-stricken and without anything of interest to trade, the only thing I can recommend is hunting down Loodon, a halfling who used to study under my master. He loves pranks, and managed to escape with a substantial collection of rare scrolls in a scrollcase of minor holding made from Slaadskin. The scrollcase should be immune to almost any damage; I won't bother with a description of the little sneak, as I'm sure he's changed his appearance by now.

If that doesn't help...don't worry. Magic just isn't for most people."

He turns to leave unless you interrupt him.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

"We are making a journey to a location under the mountains, following a legend we heard of old. It seems that there may be some difficulty encountered in entering the land below the mountains, however, as there are rules in place of which we were not aware.
    Beyond this, it is told that there are many dangers to be found in the depths, and my companions could be well served by any implements of protection or defense that we might trade or barter for. "
    Xaanthios casts a sidelong glance to RexThaun, then continues. "Our quest is in service to a powerful lord. It could be that they might be willing to offer you their favor should you assist us, perhaps even the opportunity to find greater advancement in your paths than you have encountered here."

15. - Top - End - #15

Melinda debates whether to protest. Ultimately, even though the amount of money named isn't very large, she's reluctant to pay up-front for what seems likely to be a brush-off from someone a little higher up. If Cendrik doesn't stop Brand, she watches the dwarf leave, then shrugs. "I wonder if this Loodon might have anything useful to us, or that was a pure dead end."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Cendrick & Melinda

As you walk off, Cendrik hears a voice echoing in his head. “Keep walking; I’ll be picking up lunch at the Drunken Donkey a couple of blocks east of here if you need options.” It seems to have been some sort of telepathic projection.

RexThaun & Xaanthios

Magdalena responds. “Come on inside. Filister can make plenty of items. What do you have in mind? The mines can be a dangerous place, but there are many entrances. I’m sure you can find a way in… adventurers always do. That’s how Filister and I met. Ahh, those were the days…” She smiles.

The inside of the dome is made of wooden panels, and allows plenty of natural light inside. An upper floor wraps partway around the large, open room.

Spoiler: Sort of like this:
    Show

A short bald man with a salt-and-pepper mustache and several tattoos on his neck and arms (mostly of interlocking circles and other geometric figures) looks up from a table half-covered in pieces of metal, crystal, and leather. “Who’s this?”

Magdalena explains. “Some adventurers who want to go on a quest under the mountains it seems. They’ve come looking for some sort of magical equipment to help, although I don’t know what their budget is or what they have in mind.”

"Well, better us than that ivory-tower arrogant...ah, never mind." He trails off.
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-10 at 11:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Xaanthios takes in the environment with a smile, appreciating the craftsmanship of the space before turning a warm smile to their hosts.

"I couldn't agree more! Those who learn their art through laborious study of books tend to hold themselves superior to we who learn through deep focus of the mind and introspection. As if one form of learned power is superior to another." The dark haired psion scoffs, but maintains his friendly smile.

"Shall we attend to business? We have several needs, and others that I was unaware you could assist with until just now. Given that we mean to travel below the earth, a number of our party may be severely limited in their sight, myself included. A solution to that which does not alert everything with eyes to our presence would be most appreciated. IT is likely that we could also make use of standard charms of protection and defense. For myself, while I am a Creator by trade I have found myself requiring some method beyond my creations for causing my opponents to become... less animated. Something that does not in and of itself drain my own power would be optimal there.

All that understood, if I heard you correctly then you both have been to the undermountain already? If you could provide a map to us of what you have explored, that would be amazing.
    If that map could also reference our own position, and perhaps grow as we explore new avenues.... beyond description. I would be delighted to assist in any such creation, as I am a craftsman and eager to learn what skills you utilize.

Rex'Thaun may also have thoughts on our needs. Rex?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

“We have not been into the caves – we adventured elsewhere, off to the west among the orc tribes. Perhaps an item of Touchsight? Dorjes of Crystal Shard?”

19. - Top - End - #19

Cendrik looked to Melinda who didn't seem inclined to push so he turned back to Brand. "Thank you for the introductions, Brand. Well met. Good day." He nods in a farewell and heads out.

A block away he gives a simple point to his forehead and pipes up to his companion. "Seems we are expected at the Drunken Donkey up ahead. Perhaps some competitor of Mezzir-Shazz that noticed us visiting him? Let's see what they have to say." He'll continue eastward looking for the tavern.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The tavern is easy to find, and it currently has a number of hung over patrons grouching their way through breakfasts. It's still a couple of hours until lunchtime begins and the signature "spiced pork wraps" (tamales) are available.

21. - Top - End - #21

Cendrik glances around the room taking note of the type of crowd there (noticing if anyone notices them) as well as the establishment itself. Turning to Melinda he queries- "Not sure who or when. Let's grab a table and sample the specialty here?" If she agrees Cendrik will grab a table off to the side and sit so that they both can see the front door. In no rush, he'll eventually order spiced pork wrap and an ale. "Thoughts on the wizards?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

"Huh. That's interesting." Melinda walks along quietly.

Arriving at the inn, she nods at Cendrik's suggestion. "Sure."

Sitting down, she comments, "It seems they have internal politics...or want to appear so anyway. And big egos. Beyond that, we hardly got a chance to learn anything."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    “We have not been into the caves – we adventured elsewhere, off to the west among the orc tribes. Perhaps an item of Touchsight? Dorjes of Crystal Shard?”
    Xaanthios

"Touchsight would be an excellent option for those with lesser eyes, like myself. Crystal shard... I do not know this power, but if you rely on it then I am sure it would be of use. Perhaps we could touch on the matter of cost or exchange? My assets currently are not particularly.... liquid. That said, I am an exceptional artisan if I may be direct, and can increase the value of nearly any material in a very short period of time. There also remains the offer that my benefactor may be able to offer you immense resources and growth, even from the distance they currently maintain. Have you any thoughts towards the value of these items? I am also still quite captured with the idea of a map that shows our position in relation to our surrounds. Is this possible?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Rexthaun mutely stands behind Xaan, not really in his element, though, if the case arouse, he would step in, being of a sharper tongue than his companion, but he felt Xaan had it well caught.

He did want to add one thing however: "We are looking for access into the undermountain, would you perhaps be able to help us with that, perhaps either directly or indirectly?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

RexThaun & Xaanthios

Filister responds. “Crystal shard fires shards of glass-sharp crystals. You mentioned something that would not consume your mental energies while still killing enemies, and that came to mind.” Magdalena gives a slight snort at that. “Pun not intended.”

Filister continues. “You should be able to buy a map in one of the shopping districts. What was the name of that bookseller? The one who had the foreign book with the, ah, book with all the...”
    “Srinivas,” Magdalena contributes, with a slight smile. Rex thinks her cheeks may have reddened slightly, but it goes away quickly.

“Yes, Srinivas is from far away and seems to have a good collection of exotic books and maps. I don’t know much about getting into the mountains, but I’m sure a lot of the dwarves could point you in the right direction. This city was founded on their digging prowess, after all. The Underguard is a fairly formidable force.”

“As for gold, I’m aware of one opportunity for some high-risk, high-reward mercenary work, but it would take more than just the two of you to pull it off. The thieves guild is always around if you’re of flexible morals, or if you’re going to leave town in a rush I suppose you could try to steal from them….but I don’t recommend that. What else?”
    Filister looks at Magdalena.

“There was that dwarf looking for someone to take a big load of high-end weapons and armor south? He left in a hurry when he found out that we don’t do long-distance teleportation. I suppose you could try meeting up with the orcs or gnolls off to the west or south and seeing if they had anything that the two of you could help with?”

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

"While high-risk, high-reward definitely seems our speed, and there are more of us than are here present, we are tasked with a mission of utmost importance and risking that would be... unethical. What would be the cost of the items in question? We may look at other options for expanding our resources in order to resolve our transaction here."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Rex nods, "Yes, lets order our items, then we can go find a map and meet up with the others?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

RexThaun & Xaanthios

"We do require a fifty percent deposit for any custom-made items, and as you can see" (he motions to his workbench) "I already have some items I am working on. Let me know what specifically you want, and perhaps it's something that I already have one or two of available."

Item listing/discussion can be done OOC. It looks like this conversation is about wrapped up, so...

Everyone
    The four of you meet at the Drunken Donkey. The two pairs compare notes; neither team got what you wanted, but you have a number of leads to follow. The spiced pork wraps are pleasantly warm to RexThaun's tongue, but it takes extreme spices for a dragonborn to get the reaction that others get from jalapeno peppers. The waiter remarks that these wraps are especially popular during winter-time and whenever sicknesses are going around.

Lunchtime arrives and you get a few funny looks for sitting at your table for so long, but you also notice that quite a few people are coming in, ordering food, and then taking the pork wraps elsewhere to eat.

A half-elf dressed in comfortable but high-quality clothing grabs a chair and pulls it over to your table, sitting down without an invitation. He has a large spell component pouch at his waist, so it's reasonable to assume that he's some type of wizard.

"Ah, there are four of you, not just the two who visited Mezzir-Shazz's tower this morning? Or am I interrupting something? I am Albin, and you look like people who aren't from around here, who need something, and who may be capable of employing controlled violence to achieve your goals."
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-23 at 03:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Rexthaun smiles at the wraps, and mentally makes a note to follow up on a possible disease or sickness happening, or why people were leaving with them. He scarfs down his fair share, and then as the man approaches them, he raises an eyebrow, "controlled violence?" he slowly smiles. "I like that, yes, we have on occasion. Good tidings Master Albin, I am Rex, and these are my companions, Xan, Cendrik, and Melinda, have you been spying on us?" he asks, almost in jest.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Xaanthios

Steepling his fingers, Xaanthios leans in and examines the new arrival over the joined digits. "It is possible that we could apply a judicious amount of violence, depending on the situation, cause, and cost. What is it you wish accomplished?"