New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Classes with Druid spell list

Hey folks,

I'm kinda suprised at this, but my google-fu has failed to find me any threads calling out all the classes which have/enable access to the Druid spell list. I'm trying to figure out the best class to use in "optimizing" a sub-optimal build. At present, the only classes I know of are the Range, Druid (duh), Archivist, and Spirit Shaman. What others exist?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Classes with Druid spell list

Raptoran-only Skypledged PrC does, via the Divine Spellpool feature which grants access to cleric and druid spells in a sort of equivalent to the Arcane Spellpool of a Mage of the Arcane Order.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ranger has their own spell list, they don't cast from the Druid's spell list.
    Many spells do appear on both, but they're separate.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

4. - Top - End - #4

Lizardfolk

Thank you both for your responses. Sadly, the Raptoran sky-pledged isn't an appetizing option, and the ranger/druid spell list difference further limits my options. Damn.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Classes with Druid spell list

Chameleon also works, but doesn't get high level spells.

4 levels of Eldritch Master gives access to any spell list, but doesn't progress casting.

I recall there is a dragon archeotype that gives dragons access to druid spells which might be exploitable somehow, likely with Dragonwraught Kobold Cheese. :)

The more information you give us about what you are trying to do, the more we can help.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about my favorite, good old generic Spellcaster, from Unearthed Arcana?

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Well, as I've said, I'm trying to crank the most I can out of a sub-optimal concept. Without referencing specifc ideas I've had, I'm basically looking for a Druid-type character which doesn't wildshape, but which has all the beat-stick potential wildshape provides. Put another way, I want to be pretty decent at hitting things with an Ironwood Greataxe, without being irrelevant. I want to rely on DM fiat as little as possible, which means I'm already sacking a feat for Create Magic Weapons & Armor.

While this isn't an issue in the current series of adventures I'm playing, I want to be able to take the same concept to tables with some level of skilled play.

The best I've been able to come up with thus far is an even split between Druid (or Spirit Shaman) and Swordsage, with all the druid levels taken first to maximize the manuever levels I get out of Swordsage and using a Human as the base race to allow that without XP penalties. (I'd really prefer the look of being a lizard folk, but there is no version of that race which doesn't suck, IMO).

The annoying part is that all the best Druid class features are out (wildshape I specifically don't want and both animal companion and SNA are ****ed if I only take 10 levels) while the Spirit Shaman only has 2-3 good class features to begin with (guide magic, follow the guide, and the web-enhancement skill bonuses). I can get a decent Animal Companion through Wild Cohort, but I'm still left trying to figure out what to trade away rather than having enduring class features.

All that said, I'm looking into the Generic Spellcaster option atm, which might give me what I need. Sadly, the Spellcaster's not looking good as an option :/
    Last edited by Learn34; 2018-12-16 at 04:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Learn34 View Post
    I want to be pretty decent at hitting things with an Ironwood Greataxe, without being irrelevant. I want to rely on DM fiat as little as possible, which means I'm already sacking a feat for Create Magic Weapons & Armor.

While this isn't an issue in the current series of adventures I'm playing, I want to be able to take the same concept to tables with some level of skilled play.

The best I've been able to come up with thus far is an even split between Druid (or Spirit Shaman) and Swordsage,
    All that said, I'm looking into the Generic Spellcaster option atm, which might give me what I need. Sadly, the Spellcaster's not looking good as an option :/
    Yeah, I thought you just wanted an alternate source of Druid spells, and Spellcaster fits that bill. It's not exactly designed for "swing an axe". Still, it's not completely hopeless at that role. With Persist shenanigans, it can have full BAB, and whatever other buffs you prefer.

Calling the existence of RAW-expected gear acquisition "GM Fiat" seems a bit odd, but whatever. For whatever reason, you want a character that will play similarly at arbitrary tables with arbitrary rules. Well, probably as many GMs foolishly ban tbo9s as foolishly limit gear, so I'm not sure that you're gaining much viability with this build.

So, it sounds like you want to hit things with an axe, but feel that non-casters become irrelevant at high level. Have I got that right?

So, the issue you have is, you think that a Druid isn't good enough at hitting things with an axe? Hmmm... How about using Druid as a base for an übercharger build? Get to-hit bonuses for using your AC as a mount (higher ground) or for flanking. Yeah, use your AC for flanking, and attach Horseshoes of a Zephyr to a War Rhino or Hydra, and just zootastic murder charge anything you want dead. Or, since you were looking to waste levels in lizard folk, spend then on half-Ogre, and learn to flank with yourself, while your AC provides an Aid Another bonus. Or use summons to repeatedly Aid Another. Or...

In short, I think that there's lots of ways to make straight Druid work. EDIT: and don't spend the feat to craft items unless you have to, or it gives you an advantage to do so.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2018-12-16 at 06:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorcerers get access to any spell they are familiar with. Spellhoarding dragons can add any spell to their spell book, being sorcerous, this could be sufficient for being familiar. Child of Eberron let’s you skip that grey area and get druid Spell explicitly, also doesn’t require True dragon unlike Spellhoarding, just dragon so Half Dragon O.R. Dragonwrought are fine. Then there are also the Hatchling dragons which don’t require the hefty Wyrmling RHD and LA for the base 10 MMI dragons.

Also if you wanted to gimp the Sorc and make it more melee, Stalwart Battle Sorcerer with the Animal Companion variant gets you close.

There are also alternate class features for the druid to get rid of their wild shape. I am a personal fan of the Shapshift druid. But for just a shifter, I especially like what I call the Rejuvenating Tippy Shapeshift Druid using this threads suggestion plus both PHII druid variants. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...riant-question
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2018-12-16 at 07:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

You haven't specificied 3.5 or PF, but if the big thing is that you don't want Wild Shape there are about a dozen archetypes that replace Wild Shape with something else. I don't think any of them give you access to more weapon choices though.

There is also the Hunter, which gives you access to the druid spell list but only up to level 6 spells. But it has full martial weapon options, there are some versions without the animal companion too, if that is an issue. If you wanted an AC, it is full druid levels.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to make a druid spellcasting axe-wielding fighter, go no further than the two druid acfs from unearthed arcana.

In exchange for your spontaneous natures ally, animal companion, a -4 penalty to wild empathy, and wild shape, you gain monk AC, monk fast movement, ranger favoured enemy, ranger tracking, barbarian fast movement (stacks with monk fast movement, monk is enhancement, barbarian is untyped), and barbarian rage (but not greater rage, indomitable will or mighty rage). You also lose diplomacy, but gain intimidate as a class skill.

Those all come together quite nicely to make a barbarian/ranger/druid crossover that gets full druidic casting, d8 HD, 3/4 bab, 4+int skill points, and all the other goodies that druids get, like poison immunity, thousand faces, and timeless body. I'm personally running this on a half minotaur grey elf in an e6 campaign, and it's a looot of fun.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Seconding non-wildshape druid. Aspect of the dragon, storm druid, windwalker, focused companion, and the unnamed UA variant are all serviceable replacements. Druidic avenger and urban companion are solid as replacements for the animal companion. There's also an ACF somewhere in Dragon Magazine that lets you get different weapon proficiencies based on your home region, which might be of interest.