New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default SAD character advice

I rolled stats for next campaign and it's 18 12 12 11 11 9 , stats look like I should make a single attribute dependent character. I want to make a ranged fighter (with hand crossbow but will consider other options) out of it.

I want to take Lightfoot Halfling with Str 9, Dex 20, Con 12 and Cha 13.
    Battlemaster with Archery fighting style, Parry, Trip and Precise attacks, Crossbow Expert on lvl 4, Sharpshooter on lvl 6, then two levels of warlock (Hexbalde with Shield?) for darkvision and something else (what?), maybe three levels for Book of Shadows rituals(those rituals will be handy, I still don't know if a wizard will be in our party) and Guidance. Only Fighter levels after that, next ASI is Resilient (Wisdom) and Constitution boosts on subsequent ASIs.

Please advice on cantrips, maneuvers, maybe other multiclassing options (Shadow sorcerer 1?). Or maybe I should make another race/clsss/subclass choice? (Not Eldritch Knight plz) Maybe rogue?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: SAD character advice

If you want to be SAD, why multicalss in a class that doesn't rely on your 20 DEX?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

High Elf Battlemaster, no Warlock. Bump Int to 13 and pick up Ritual Caster (Wizard) with your level 6 feat. Cantrip of your choice, I like Message, Mage Hand, Mending, & Prestidigitation.

You get Darkvision & Proficiency in Perception to help your Non Bonus; and your Ritual choices are already better than a Tomelock dip.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

The hand crossbow battlemaster is the correct choice for "optimization". But for sheer fun you could also go with a pure hexblade warlock or a fighter 1/Hexblade X.

Half Elf
    9/13/13/11/11/20

Hand crossbow can be used starting at lvl 1. with hexblade, you have medium armor and shield proficiency.
    At level 4 you can grab 14 dex and con, or grab elven accuracy to +dex and then play around with devil's sight shenanigans.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    If you want to be SAD, why multicalss in a class that doesn't rely on your 20 DEX?
    Because some of coolest warlock features do not require high Cha to work: hexblade curse improves critical range, Shield and Hex do not require an attack roll or saving throw.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    High Elf Battlemaster, no Warlock. Bump Int to 13 and pick up Ritual Caster (Wizard) with your level 6 feat. Cantrip of your choice, I like Message, Mage Hand, Mending, & Prestidigitation.

You get Darkvision & Proficiency in Perception to help your Non Bonus; and your Ritual choices are already better than a Tomelock dip.
    Thanks, great idea!
    I would argue about rituals part, though: tomelock 3 can get any 1st and 2nd level rituals including silence, that leaves only Leomund's Tiny Hut and Rary's Telepathic Bond out of scope.

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    The hand crossbow battlemaster is the correct choice for "optimization". But for sheer fun you could also go with a pure hexblade warlock or a fighter 1/Hexblade X.

Half Elf
    9/13/13/11/11/20

Hand crossbow can be used starting at lvl 1. with hexblade, you have medium armor and shield proficiency.
    At level 4 you can grab 14 dex and con, or grab elven accuracy to +dex and then play around with devil's sight shenanigans.
    How much armor can I get with Str 9 and Dex 14 (even 13 before level 4)? Half plate needs at least Str 13. Also, hand crossbow can be used only once per round without specific feat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gnollgnoll View Post
    How much armor can I get with Str 9 and Dex 14 (even 13 before level 4)? Half plate needs at least Str 13. Also, hand crossbow can be used only once per round without specific feat.
    Half plate doesn't have a str requirement actually so your ac would be 15+dex Max of 2, so you would be 1 ac behind the fighter till level 4 and then you'd be matching him. You'll also have access to the shield spell.

Absolutely correct on the 1 shot thing, fighter gets this off the ground faster. Or you could grab xbow expert instead of the dex increase and deal with getting hit 5% more often.
    Last edited by th3g0dc0mp13x; 2018-12-17 at 03:22 PM.