The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

Of all the things that Stellaris is lacking, the most tragic loss is that the only Titan weapon is energy-based.

The second most tragic loss is that the Colossus weapons are energy-based, too.

(Give me my world-cracking giant cannon, pdx plz!)
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Of all the things that Stellaris is lacking, the most tragic loss is that the only Titan weapon is energy-based.

The second most tragic loss is that the Colossus weapons are energy-based, too.

(Give me my world-cracking giant cannon, pdx plz!)
    Technically the titan weapon isn't energy-based mechanically. It doesn't get improved by any of the Energy or Kinetic techs, actually. It's the same weapon throughout the entire game, perfect, unable to be improved.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So in theory, a humble Red Laser could, with sufficient endgame tech, outdamage a Titan cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

*math*

That's how many of each endgame tech (attack damage and attack speed) it takes to let a Small Red Laser outdamage a Perdition Beam.

So you know. If you're good at the game it's no big deal. Have you specialized your planets at all?
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2019-07-13 at 01:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Technically the titan weapon isn't energy-based mechanically. It doesn't get improved by any of the Energy or Kinetic techs, actually. It's the same weapon throughout the entire game, perfect, unable to be improved.
    It also doesn't have as severe a shield penalty as regular energy weapons do--only 25% reduced damage against them.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It also doesn't have as severe a shield penalty as regular energy weapons do--only 25% reduced damage against them.
    Energy weapons run the gamut on shield penalties - void beams have 400% BONUS. And Disruptors, Cloud Lightning, and Arc Emitters are all energy and bypass all shields and armor.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Shoot! Shoot at the extra-dimensional horror. With your space ships. It's what the lasers are for!
    And now the one Awakened Empire is doing the bit were a fleet sits on a planet waiting for the non-existent troops ships to show up. I guess it's better than attacking me, but I wish there were stopping the Unbidden in that part of the galaxy instead.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

been trying to get back in a serious campaign for Stellaris after a reasonably long hiatus (before the planet rework), and tried a couple of times. But i keep getting war-Decced after some 20 years where I seemingly am unable to have enough fleet power, in spite of seemingly trying to focus as much as possible on alloy production. Anyone got an estimate as of how much alloy production i should have at which point to get through the initial sprawl without getting hemmed in by getting out expanded or acting as the loot piņata?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    been trying to get back in a serious campaign for Stellaris after a reasonably long hiatus (before the planet rework), and tried a couple of times. But i keep getting war-Decced after some 20 years where I seemingly am unable to have enough fleet power, in spite of seemingly trying to focus as much as possible on alloy production. Anyone got an estimate as of how much alloy production i should have at which point to get through the initial sprawl without getting hemmed in by getting out expanded or acting as the loot piņata?
    I would say that building a second alloy building on your homeworld ASAP is usually a high priority. Try to have three before you need your first really big fleet. After that, it kinda depends on your economy, but if you need a lot more alloys in the mid-game you should probably set up a secondary planet dedicated to that.

Another advice is to start early and build up your fleet gradually whenever you have a few spare alloys. Also, upgrade your ships with new technology reasonably often. If you have a weak fleet, that encourages other empires to declare war on you. If your fleet is kept up, the AI will view you as less of a push-over and think twice before declaring war. You can get a general comparison on relative fleet strength and tech level on the diplomacy window when you talk to another Empire.

Don't neglect your naval capacity and fleet capacity limits, either. And don't forget to assign Admirals.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    You can get a general comparison on relative fleet strength and tech level on the diplomacy window when you talk to another Empire.
    Or just open up the Contact list; it's part of the info screen, isn't it?

Fleet strength, technology level, economy, if you hover over the relative power.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, keep everyone around equivalent. If they are superior or overwhelming, bribe them as much as you can to get them to like you (or atleast not hate you). Give into every demand they have until you can get stronger. You are their new butler until you are stronger.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Firbolg in the Playground

And when you are stronger it's time to lend that strength to taking over the galaxy! Even if you never seemed to get much in the way of engines or hyperdrives, meaning it takes your fleets three years to cross your empires and vassals.

Seriously, I'm currently reintegrating some rebels because getting my fleets where I want them is taking me about three years, but once this war is over I'll be completely set to move my fleets into the empire I'm actually interested in Vassalising. Especially as my massive amounts of Fleet Power means that nobody is actually willing to declare war on me, the only thing I actually have to worry about is a Fallen Empire awakening.

It's not a bad way to spend my first mid-game, but I can see what people mean about the AI not being the best. I now control nearly half the galaxy either directly or indirectly, and I don't think it'll be a century before I have the other half under my thumb.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And when you are stronger it's time to lend that strength to taking over the galaxy! Even if you never seemed to get much in the way of engines or hyperdrives, meaning it takes your fleets three years to cross your empires and vassals.

Seriously, I'm currently reintegrating some rebels because getting my fleets where I want them is taking me about three years, but once this war is over I'll be completely set to move my fleets into the empire I'm actually interested in Vassalising. Especially as my massive amounts of Fleet Power means that nobody is actually willing to declare war on me, the only thing I actually have to worry about is a Fallen Empire awakening.

It's not a bad way to spend my first mid-game, but I can see what people mean about the AI not being the best. I now control nearly half the galaxy either directly or indirectly, and I don't think it'll be a century before I have the other half under my thumb.
    I hear gateways work well in transporting your fleets across your massive empire.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Gateways are also great for preventing piracy - when no trade starbase is without its gateway, all the Trade Value goes directly to the homeworld and there's nothing for pirates to prey upon, and a single bastion can spread its piracy suppression through the entire gateway network!