The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 459
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I ran into a similar issue with my federation. Every now and again, one of my members would get a bug up their butts and decide they wanted to declare war on someone. Then every single one of the other members would all vote 'yes' on this, leaving me to make the final call.

    And it really put me in an annoying spot. Because if I voted 'yes' I'd be dragged into a decades long war that I had no stakes in, and to make matters worse, I'd wind up doing 90% of the work of winning it. But if I voted 'no' then all that would happen is that I'd get a -50 opinion penalty to whoever wanted to start the war, and then a a short time later they would put it to a vote again. If I said no a second time, my penalty increased to -100 and then a short time later, they'd call for a vote again. They'd keep doing this until I finally said yes.
    Actually, just wanted to return to this because I didn't remember it before.

    Although there's an opinion penalty for saying no to a war vote, there's no penalty for letting it time out. So you can delay or deny their war indefinitely just by never voting.

    Filibuster baby!
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-11-20 at 04:13 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Caelestion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baator (aka Britain)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    I once had a game where my xenophile pacifists were too successful with their federating. My friendly neighbours joined both joined up, then another abruptly changed ethics to be more aligned and became the fourth member, whereas the only other empire within range was mauled by a distant enemy and was making all nice to our federation too, such that suddenly I was now surrounded on all sides by federation members, which made for a rather dull game.

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I once played an empire I called the Democracy Crusaders, Militaristic Egalitarian Democracy, who converted something like 3/4 of the galaxy to my ideology. None of them wanted to join my federation except one, and that one then voted against everyone else joining. It sucked.
    That's kind of hilarious. (And a sensible failure mode for a democratic crusade, really.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Actually, just wanted to return to this because I didn't remember it before.

    Although there's an opinion penalty for saying no to a war vote, there's no penalty for letting it time out. So you can delay or deny their war indefinitely just by never voting.

    Filibuster baby!
    Oh neat, I didn't know that. I've been doing that whenever it comes up for me, but I just did it because I figured if they were going to just keep asking over and over there was no point in actually responding. I didn't realise I was actually avoiding the opinion penalty as well.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Narkis's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I still want to see how the new federations work. Some of the new ones might be considerably more convenient. I especially hope they come with more diplomatic options. Like forcing people to join your federation through war. I once played an empire I called the Democracy Crusaders, Militaristic Egalitarian Democracy, who converted something like 3/4 of the galaxy to my ideology. None of them wanted to join my federation except one, and that one then voted against everyone else joining. It sucked. Also, non-democratic federations would be nice, where you don't have to vote on every decision but occasionally can force something?
    I think one of the new federations is gonna be authoritarian, with one empire the leader and the rest acting more as vassal states.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Artanis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    BFE
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    One of the screenshots in the Federations dev diary shows the Federations rules, where you set up how the Federation works. War declaration, inviting members, and kicking members all have "President Decides" as options. I'm not entirely sure what you have to do to GET those as your Federation's rules, but they're there.

    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ework.1270552/
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

    Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    One of the screenshots in the Federations dev diary shows the Federations rules, where you set up how the Federation works. War declaration, inviting members, and kicking members all have "President Decides" as options. I'm not entirely sure what you have to do to GET those as your Federation's rules, but they're there.

    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ework.1270552/
    Finally. A federation where every Lifeform has the Vote and I am the Lifeform.

    Just as it should be.
    Last edited by Grif; 2019-11-20 at 08:48 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Okay. I need help. How do I build a Dyson sphere and ring world? I have galactic wonders ascension perk. I have built the science nexus, sentry array, mega-art, and strategic coordinator and a couple gateways in my territory. I now want to build a Dyson sphere, but the construction ship does not list it as an option at all. So how do I make a Dyson sphere?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2019-11-22 at 11:40 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Okay. I need help. How do I build a Dyson sphere and ring world? I have galactic wonders ascension perk. I have built the science nexus, sentry array, mega-art, and strategic coordinator and a couple gateways in my territory. I now want to build a Dyson sphere, but the construction ship does not list it as an option at all. So how do I make a Dyson sphere?
    Have you learned the Dyson Sphere technology? Once you have Galactic Wonders, it has a chance of appearing, but you can't create the megastructures unlocked by the perk until you've learned the technology for doing so.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Artanis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    BFE
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    I think you also have to delete the mining station on the star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

    Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Have you learned the Dyson Sphere technology? Once you have Galactic Wonders, it has a chance of appearing, but you can't create the megastructures unlocked by the perk until you've learned the technology for doing so.
    But it seems to be phrased that the ascension perk unlocks the technology for you outright?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    But it seems to be phrased that the ascension perk unlocks the technology for you outright?
    In older versions of the game it *did*--I can't remember when they changed it to require a tech as well, but they definitely did so.

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In older versions of the game it *did*--I can't remember when they changed it to require a tech as well, but they definitely did so.
    With Megacorp when all the new megastructures were added. They got moved out of the ascension perk and into techs instead, only Ringworld, Dyson Sphere, and Matter Decompressor are left under a perk now but still have techs.

    Usually techs that get unlocked by ascension perk choices don't go into the random deck though, they're always available.

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    With Megacorp when all the new megastructures were added. They got moved out of the ascension perk and into techs instead, only Ringworld, Dyson Sphere, and Matter Decompressor are left under a perk now but still have techs.

    Usually techs that get unlocked by ascension perk choices don't go into the random deck though, they're always available.
    It was around the time of Ancient Relics, not Megacorps. The change was because Megacorps made Galactic Wonders way to good.

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    But it seems to be phrased that the ascension perk unlocks the technology for you outright?
    It doesn't unlock it automatically, but it does make it immediately (and permanently) available for you to choose to research any time you like. Same goes for the Matter Decompressor (if you have MegaCorps) and Ring World techs. Just go to switch what tech you're researching and scroll down - Dyson Sphere is a physics tech, Ring World is engineering, don't know about the Decompressor.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Okay, and I assume you can only have 1 of each wonder at a tlme?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Thufir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Okay, and I assume you can only have 1 of each wonder at a tlme?
    You can only build one of each, though I have seen people say you can get more if other empires build them and then you conquer the relevant systems from them. I've never seen the AI build a megastructure (not counting gateways and habitats) so I've never had a chance to try that myself.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Artanis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    BFE
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Ruined ones (from initial galaxy gen) that you find and repair also don't count against your limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

    Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Ruined ones (from initial galaxy gen) that you find and repair also don't count against your limit.
    So, if I found a matter decompressor, and I try to build another one, which should I finish first? The broken one or the one I'm making from scratch?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, if I found a matter decompressor, and I try to build another one, which should I finish first? The broken one or the one I'm making from scratch?
    The broken one, because it takes much less time and resources. It's only one stage to fix one, but it takes 4 to get one fully working from scratch.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The broken one, because it takes much less time and resources. It's only one stage to fix one, but it takes 4 to get one fully working from scratch.
    The broken one is bordering a fanatic xenophobic fallen empire. I just wanted to make sure I could still make 2 if I built it first.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Okay, and I assume you can only have 1 of each wonder at a tlme?
    Except habitats and ringworlds. You can build as many of those as you like.

    You can also only be building one at a time, which can be increased by certain other perks.

    The AI does build megastructures on higher difficulties, it loves science nexi.

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    So, just conquered the first of the 2 awakened empires in the war in the heavens. After I did so, one of my scientists that commanded a science ship died of old age. In recruiting a new scientist, one of the species of the fallen empire I conquered was available. They were cybernetic with an expertise in psionics...


    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!




    Figured out most of what he said on my own already. But did learn from this video about hangers increasing system protection range and gateways also expand that as well. That should eliminate patrols late game.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

    *Avatar by Me*

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Guancyto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A long, long chain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, just conquered the first of the 2 awakened empires in the war in the heavens. After I did so, one of my scientists that commanded a science ship died of old age. In recruiting a new scientist, one of the species of the fallen empire I conquered was available. They were cybernetic with an expertise in psionics...


    There have been games where I've conquered Fallen Empires and in fifty years their pops were completely running my empire.

    I believe they call that "conquering China."
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2019-11-26 at 07:56 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Narkis's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    There have been games where I've conquered Fallen Empires and in fifty years their pops were completely running my empire.

    I believe they call that "conquering China."
    That's because you guys play hippy non-Fanatic Exterminators. I've never had that problem.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    That's because you guys play hippy non-Fanatic Exterminators. I've never had that problem.
    Why conquer a fallen empire when you can eat it instead?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Figured out most of what he said on my own already. But did learn from this video about hangers increasing system protection range and gateways also expand that as well. That should eliminate patrols late game.
    It doesn't. The protection offered by a single starbase simply isn't enough to suppress piracy when you have very high-value trade routes going through the systems around it. Only the system where the starbase actually is are guaranteed to be pirate-free.

    Gateways, on the other hand, *do* potentially eliminate a lot of patrols, because the trade can jump through the gateways and ignore the systems in between--so that significantly reduces the number of systems the trade has to go through.

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    All defensive starbase modules increase trade protection range.

    But it's only going to do any good in the midgame, eventually trade value numbers get too high for starbases to suppress and one anchorage (with logistics depot) is 60 trade protection in naked corvettes. (Not even with the old figleaf of red lasers, just keep the upkeep low).

    (That's the main reason I think they should change trade protection to remove it from actual ships, because the best way to do it is super fake and gamey)

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Stellaris III: Shop at the Paradox Megacorp!

    Is it, though?

    I mean, if there were a bunch of self-driving police cars on the roads, I'd still slow down and be extra careful when I see one on the off chance that it's a real cop. That's basically what having a bunch of unarmed corvettes flying around does. Pirates just aren't brave enough to chance a confrontation because they can't tell how much weaponry the ships have until they engage them.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •