New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: We Be Heistin’: The Bear’s WDH Game [IC]

Xoblob turns to Squig with a sad look on his face. “I’m sorry but I don’t know who those men were and don’t know a Floon. The men who were attacked were dragged off, so if one of them is your friend I hope he is safe.”

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We best be going then, before any more harm comes to him..." Erdan thanks the shop keeper for his time and heads for the door.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bear View Post
    Xoblob turns to Squig with a sad look on his face. “I’m sorry but I don’t know who those men were and don’t know a Floon. The men who were attacked were dragged off, so if one of them is your friend I hope he is safe.”
    "Perhaps if I described him. He is a human male, handsome, in his early thirties with wavy red-blond hair and dressed in princely garb. Did one of the men dragged off look like this? I'm sorry to trouble you with so many questions, but he may be in danger."

4. - Top - End - #124

MindFlayer

"Funny you mention that, both of the guys looked just like you described, almost like twins!" Xoblob replies to Squig. "And I've never known a gnome that wasn't full of questions, so no need to apologize; you are trying to find your friend, after all."

The old gnome scratches his chin for a moment and appears to be in deep thought. "There is...one more thing I saw that may help you." The gnome says, pointing to one of the many eyes on his face. "In the scuffle, I saw that one of the attackers had a tattoo on his neck of a flying snake...the mark of the Zhentarim, if you didn't know. Not sure what the Zhents would want with a pair of courtesans..." He says, trailing off into murmuring before looking up and finishing with "That's about all I saw, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I wish you good luck in finding your friend."

5. - Top - End - #125

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by doodoocrispies View Post
    "We best be going then, before any more harm comes to him..." Erdan thanks the shop keeper for his time and heads for the door.
    The group leaves the Old Xoblob Shop, the old gnome bidding you good luck in the search for Floon as you leave. You continue up the street a short way and find the Skewered Dragon.

The Skewered Dragon looks like a ruin. Both of its front-facing windows are smashed, and a ship’s anchor is lodged in the roof. Through the windows, you can see a group of haggard patrons drinking from huge tankards.

Entering the run down establishment, you see a large bar to the left and several ragged tables scattered haphazardly throughout. The bartender is a dwarf man with a thick black beard and a gnarled scar where one eye used to be; he walks with an uneven gait, accompanied by a heavy thump with each step of his left leg.

The scattered patrons appear to be sailors and deckhands, mostly humans and dwarves. A halfling in the back is running a game of Three-Dragon Ante, drawing a small crowd.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Erdan is intrigued by the crowd playing cards and wanders over to them. He's careful not to draw any attention as he looks on.

7. - Top - End - #127

PaladinGuy

Hans enters the Dragon and looks around at the shoddy restaurant. He yearned for his small, quaint bar back home, where everybody knew his name. But he couldn't appear weak or unsure.

Just act like you belong and you'll fit right in.

Without breaking stride or looking behind him for his companions, Hans walks right up to the bar towards a chair near the hobbling dwarf. He takes a seat and holds up one finger.

"Hey buddy. One ale when you can, please. Also, you have any idea where Floon is? I've been searching for him awhile."

8. - Top - End - #128

MindFlayer

Erdan walks over to the crowd that has gathered around a group playing cards. The dealer, a halfling, is running the game for two humans and a dwarf. The players ante-up, are dealt two cards, and play their flights, with the dwarf claiming the pot and the two humans looking stupidly toward each other before laughing and agreeing to another game. Nobody leaves the table as the halfling collects and shuffles the cards before looking to the crowd and pointing at the last empty chair at the table while saying "last call before next game."

Spoiler: Perception Roll
    Show

Anybody that watched the card game can make a perception roll for the following:
    DC13 - You notice that the halfling is dealing from the bottom of the deck for the dwarf.
    DC18 - You notice that the halfling is manipulating the cards as he shuffles for the next game.

Hans walks up to the bar and implores the dwarf for an ale. The dwarf lets out a gruff snicker as he is asked about Floon and fills up a mug of ale. "Two silvers..." He says as he puts down the ale, then continues "Ye lookin' fer Floon? Bwahaha! Didn't realize that one had clients of your type." The dwarf shouts to a crowd of regulars at a nearby table "Hear that, boys? The walking anchor here is lookin' fer the pretty boy!" Causing the patrons of the Skewered Dragon to burst out laughing.

After the crowd has settled, the dwarf, a smile still on his cracked and scarred face, says to Hans "I don't see much 'round here" while pointing to the scar where his eye used to be. "Got me a **** memory too...not that there aren't ways to help me remember..."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Carric, who is still salty after getting knocked down by the stirgis, walks to the bar after hearing the laughter and stares right into the dwarfs good eye and says
    ”listen up depth perception, I want to know if you’ve seen Floon recently or not... “

10. - Top - End - #130

PaladinGuy

He says as he puts down the ale, then continues "Ye lookin' fer Floon? Bwahaha! Didn't realize that one had clients of your type." The dwarf shouts to a crowd of regulars at a nearby table "Hear that, boys? The walking anchor here is lookin' fer the pretty boy!" Causing the patrons of the Skewered Dragon to burst out laughing.
    Hans takes this jest poorly and fails to produce an adequate comeback in time, making him even angrier. He looks at Carric, then back at the dwarf and exclaims, "Yeah!"

Spoiler: Insight check(?)
    Show
    Can Hans do an insight check on the dwarf?

11. - Top - End - #131

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DarylMcCraigory View Post
    Carric, who is still salty after getting knocked down by the stirgis, walks to the bar after hearing the laughter and stares right into the dwarfs good eye and says
    ”listen up depth perception, I want to know if you’ve seen Floon recently or not... “
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut1864 View Post
    Hans takes this jest poorly and fails to produce an adequate comeback in time, making him even angrier. He looks at Carric, then back at the dwarf and exclaims, "Yeah!"

Spoiler: Insight check(?)
    Show
    Can Hans do an insight check on the dwarf?
    Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    No check needed, you get the feeling the dwarf is playing up his lack of sight and memory to persuade you to exchange coin for information.

The dwarf scowls at these apparent lead-up to threats, but you get the feeling he's used to being treated like this and has a thick skin as his face turns to a smile. He looks back over to the table he yelled at before and yells "Bwahaha! Looks like both the anchor and this elf want to party with Floon! Gonna charge ye more fer that, he is!" as the denizens of the tavern erupt in laughter.

The dwarf turns back to you with a mean look on his face. "Now, just as I told yer friend here, I got a **** memory and need some...inspiration...to help me remember. If ye ain't gon' help me memory then ye can shove off!"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

”I’m going to guess you didn’t lose the eye or get that limp because of your friendly disposition”
    Carric slams a couple silver down on the bar and dreams about taking the dwarfs remaining eye.

13. - Top - End - #133

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig enters the bar and pauses to watch how her new companions separate. She decides to follow Erdan to the group playing cards and takes a seat at an open table nearby. She watches carefully, trying to learn the game.

Spoiler: Insight check - card game
    Show
    (1d20+2)[20]

14. - Top - End - #134

MindFlayer

“An’ I’m guessin’ ye didn’t get so pale servin’ on a ship! Bwahaha!” The gruff dwarf spits back, noting the ghostly complexion of Carric from his recent blood loss.

He looks down at the silver on the bar top, grabs it, and places it in his pocket. “Now ye helpin’ me memory! Last I saw Floon was...two nights ago, drinkin’ with that hack Volo. Played some dice an’ cards ‘fore Volo left. Floon stuck around a bit after that.”

The surly dwarf moves up the bar to serve another sailor before coming back to Hans and Carric. “Might’ve seen Floon leave, but it was busy that night...an’ I’m too thirsty to...properly remember.” He says to you, raising the eyebrow over his good eye. It’s obvious he’s asking for something in return for more information.

Spoiler: Insight
    Show

Insight check: DC10
    Passing this check, you get the feeling he does indeed have more useful information on Floon and isn’t just pulling your leg.

——

Squig takes a seat near the card players and watches the game. She sees that the halfling is cheating to help the dwarf win; they appear to be working together to hustle the humans at the table.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-27 at 01:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Erdan walks over to the crowd that has gathered around a group playing cards. The dealer, a halfling, is running the game for two humans and a dwarf. The players ante-up, are dealt two cards, and play their flights, with the dwarf claiming the pot and the two humans looking stupidly toward each other before laughing and agreeing to another game. Nobody leaves the table as the halfling collects and shuffles the cards before looking to the crowd and pointing at the last empty chair at the table while saying "last call before next game."

Show

Anybody that watched the card game can make a perception roll for the following:
    DC13 - You notice that the halfling is dealing from the bottom of the deck for the dwarf.
    DC18 - You notice that the halfling is manipulating the cards as he shuffles for the next game.
    "
    Erdan focuses on the dealer's hands...

Spoiler: Perception roll
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17]

16. - Top - End - #136

MindFlayer

Erdan notices that the halfling is dealing favorably to the dwarf, but not his subtle manipulation while shuffling. You get the feeling they are working together.

17. - Top - End - #137

PaladinGuy

The surly dwarf moves up the bar to serve another sailor before coming back to Hans and Carric. “Might’ve seen Floon leave, but it was busy that night...an’ I’m too thirsty to...properly remember.” He says to you, raising the eyebrow over his good eye. It’s obvious he’s asking for something in return for more information.
    "Fine," Hans spits, as he places two silver on the table. He turns to Carric and whispers, "Dumb bastard, isn't he?"

18. - Top - End - #138

BlueKnightGuy

Being lost in his thoughts Dengar has barely noticed what's going on around him. He had been following the group with his mind more on past thoughts that resurfaced after seeing the bodies in the street.
    Just left there. like... *snap out of it man*
    Dengar leans on the bar "Ale, please, sir?" and drops a couple silver on the bar, resting his head in his hands. He takes a seat next to Hans

19. - Top - End - #139

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut1864 View Post
    "Fine," Hans spits, as he places two silver on the table. He turns to Carric and whispers, "Dumb bastard, isn't he?"
    Hans' whisper is not quite as quiet as he had planned and the dwarf seems to bristle a bit at the insult. "It be me eye that missin', not me ears, ye heavily-clad oaf! Who be the dumb bastard now? Bwahaha!" He picks up the silver from the bar, bites it, and places it in the same pocket as before. "Floon met-up with another pretty boy after Volo left. He's, uh, the son of Lord Neverember...dont quite recall his name... Anyway, they played cards fer a bit before leaving together. Some nasty folk followed them out. Looked to be Zhents, haven't been back here since. Those fellas have a warehouse up on Candlestick Drive. Got a sign of a winged snake on the door; can't miss it."

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaaaaats View Post
    Being lost in his thoughts Dengar has barely noticed what's going on around him. He had been following the group with his mind more on past thoughts that resurfaced after seeing the bodies in the street.
    Just left there. like... *snap out of it man*
    Dengar leans on the bar "Ale, please, sir?" and drops a couple silver on the bar, resting his head in his hands. He takes a seat next to Hans
    "Aye." the dwarf replies, taking the silver before pouring an ale for Dengar.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-29 at 01:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

HalflingWizardGirl

Nobody leaves the table as the halfling collects and shuffles the cards before looking to the crowd and pointing at the last empty chair at the table while saying "last call before next game."
    The halfling is manipulating the deck, and he seems to be working with the dwarf. Perhaps this could be useful.

"I'll play!" Squig piped up, plopping down from her seat at the nearby table to take the open seat in the game. She climbs up onto the chair and folds her hands together on the table. She smiles at the players. "My name is Squig, nice to meet ya!" She then turns to the halfling, "Let us know when you're ready and I'll cut the deck."

21. - Top - End - #141

MindFlayer

The halfling greets Squig back with a gruff "Pleasure, I'm Barnabus." The two male humans smell strongly of alcohol and nod to Squig; the dwarf nods and, despite having several drained flagons near him, appears to have his wits about him. At the suggestion of cutting the deck, the halfling finishes shuffling and says "Of course" before placing the deck in front of Squig to cut.

After cutting the deck, the halfling picks it up and deals two cards to each player, including himself. Squig looks at her hand and sees two aces, a very favorable hand. The dwarf scoffs and immediately throws his hand into the middle, folding his arms over his chest with a scowl on his face. The two humans and halfling each look at their hand and ante-up by placing a silver in the middle of the table. They look to Squig to see if she will buy-in.

Show

DC14 - As the halfling is dealing the cards, you see that he occasionally looks down at his lap. You also notice that he is dealing from the bottom of the deck every now and then, with the first bottom card going to the dwarf, the second to Squig, the third to a human, the fourth to the other human, the fifth to a the dwarf, and the sixth to Squig.

For simplicity, Three-Dragon Ante is basically texas hold-em here, but with only 3 cards drawn face up, best hand wins. Make your perception roll in the OOC and then make your post here.

Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-30 at 12:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

BlueKnightGuy

Dengar takes his ale "Thank you, sir. Don't let this guy bug you too much." He says patting Hans on the heavily armored shoulder, producing a low thud.
    He spies Squig at the card table with Erdan nearby. This looks interesting. I'm sure Hans and Carric have the Bartender handled, but this... this may get ugly and wanders over to stand silently next to Erdan.

23. - Top - End - #143

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig considers her hand for a moment as the players make their moves. What luck! Must be my new rabbit's foot. She places a silver in the middle of the table.

24. - Top - End - #144

MindFlayer

After Squig places the silver on the table the halfling places the deck on the table and deals three cards face-up; a king, a 9, and a 4. The halfling then throws his cards into the middle, folding from the game. The humans look at the table and over to Squig and place 5 silver each in the pot. Squig looks at her hand and places 6 silver in the pot. The humans each look at their hand and place 1 silver each in the pot.

Everyone reveals their hands. The first human, a sun baked sailor, reveals a 2 and king; the second, seemingly a dockhand, reveals a 7 and a 9. Squig reveals the two aces and wins the pot.

“Bah, beginners luck!” The dwarf grumbles.

“Another hand?” The halfling asks, and everyone agrees to another game.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-30 at 12:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig reaches her arms over to collect the pot and winks at the dwarf. "Perhaps it is. Let's play again."

26. - Top - End - #146

MindFlayer

The next several games continue much as the first, with the halfling and dwarf dropping out early in most hands and the humans stupidly betting their money away, winning only a handful of rounds each through the course of play. Squig wins the majority of hands, much to the chagrin of the humans. After many rounds the humans cut their losses and leave the table, remarking "cant contest that gnome luck, huh?"

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

Same DC 14 check as before, made with advantage due to ample opportunity to observe.
    Pass this check and you see that the halfling is still cheating, but is now giving Squig the best hands in most, but not all, games.

Squigs total winnings in silver are in OOC

After the humans leave the dwarf leans over to Squig and says "That's about enough, eh? Won a good share today, should be happy with yer winnin's...Now go, I don't want ye at me table anymore, yer bad luck to me!"

27. - Top - End - #147

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig smiles at the dwarf and the halfling, and leans in and whispers to them. "I have been lucky, yes, but it hasn't all been luck. I understand what has been going on here."

"Now I could tell those drunken humans, or you could give me some information. I'm looking for Floon. I need to know where to find him and who you last saw him with. In exchange, not only will I leave and keep quiet about your game, but I'll give you half my winnings."

Squig's facial expression becomes serious, "You have my word."

Her heart starts to race as she awaits their response. I hope I didn't just make two enemies.
    Last edited by mila88; 2019-01-30 at 02:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

BlueKnightGuy

Dengar can see the dwarf dealer talking to Squig but can't quite understand beyond him telling her to leave
    lemme just move myself a little closer as he does so he folds his arms over his chest and stands stalwart near Squig, ready to react to anything.

29. - Top - End - #149

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mila88 View Post
    Squig smiles at the dwarf and the halfling, and leans in and whispers to them. "I have been lucky, yes, but it hasn't all been luck. I understand what has been going on here."

"Now I could tell those drunken humans, or you could give me some information. I'm looking for Floon. I need to know where to find him and who you last saw him with. In exchange, not only will I leave and keep quiet about your game, but I'll give you half my winnings."

Squig's facial expression becomes serious, "You have my word."

Her heart starts to race as she awaits their response. I hope I didn't just make two enemies.
    Of the two, the dwarf takes the lead in talking. "Ye think they'd believe ye? HA!" he spits at Squig and eyes Dengar standing nearby. "Yer lucky I like silver and like this spot" he says, before leaning back in his chair and rubbing his beard.

"We saw Floon the other night; played cards with him in fact. Got a big wallet that one. The guy he was with, not so much. Once that pissant ran outta coin he left, and Floon met with Lord Renaer whats-his-face. They played some and left after midnight, five Zhents followin' 'em out. Beat the crap outta 'em and dragged 'em off; those pretty boys sure can't fight worth a damn." He pauses for a long minute and eyes the pile of silver in front of Squig. "Can find them Zhents on Candlestick Drive, got a warehouse down there with a snake symbol on the door."

He leans in before continuing "Now, if I ever see ye at me table again...ye keep to yerself and ye'll be dealt well, and we'll take half yer winnin's each night. But ye better keep yer mouth shut otherwise." As he finishes he gives you a smile and a wink.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-01-30 at 02:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig returned the dwarf's smile, "Thank you, this is very helpful. As promised, my lips are sealed." She slides 18 silver over to him.

In a normal speaking voice, she says, "Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure." She hops down from the chair and leaves the table. She turns to Dengar and Erdan. "Should we find a table? Your next round is on me. I wonder if Hans and Carric had any luck at the bar."