New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: We Be Heistin’: The Bear’s WDH Game [IC]

Erdan crouches near the hatch on the window and readies his bow. As Dengar crashes on top of the kenku at the bottom of the stairs, the two others that had fired on Hans turn towards him and ready their bows. As the one closest to Dengar knocks an arrow, Erdan lets his arrow fly, sailing across the warehouse and right into the side of the kenku closest to Dengar. A gasping shriek is released as dark blood begins to flow from it's side. You see that it's legs nearly give out but it remains standing.

The other kenku with a shortbow looks towards the roof and yells "They got one on the roof! Take cover!" in an angry dwarven voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Turns and Damage:

Human Man
    Erdan
    Hans
    Kenku
    Squig
    Dengar
    Carric

The kenku nearest Dengar (#1) is in very bad shape. The other with the shortbow out (#2) and the one attacking the man (#3) have not been hit. #4 is a bloody mess on the ground.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Carric moves into the warehouse and attempts to thorn whip the Kenku closest to Dengar.

(1d20)[12]

3. - Top - End - #213

MindFlayer

Carric appraches the rail of the balcony and lashes forward, a thorny vine extending from his hand and reaching down at the Kenku. The vines entangle the kenku, digging past its feathers and tearing into flesh, blood now running along the vines. It drops its bow and furiously tries to pull itself free; it shrieks horribly as it further cuts itself on the thorns in the process. Carric grasps the vine in his hand and pulls back, pulling the kenku to forcefully slam into a support beam holding up the second floor. As soon as it impacts the beam its wail ceases. The vines wilt away and its body crumples to the floor.

Having heard the call for Floon and the shrieks of his attackers, the human man shouts “they took him! Leave one alive!” The man lunges forward at the kenku, thrusting his rapier at the kenku’s chest. As the kenku moves its sword to intercept the thrust, the man pulls back as he sidesteps and thrusts forward. The kenku is too slow to adjust to the feint and the rapier digs into the shoulder, piercing out the back. The sword falls from its hand as it falls to the ground, still alive but unable to fight.

The man steps forward and looks at the two dead kenku and the last one standing. He says “your turn now!” as he readies his sword.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-02-24 at 10:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Erdan spots the last of the kenku and lets another arrow fly

Spoiler: attack roll + damage
    Show
    [/roll] 20d +5[/roll]

[/roll] 20d +5[/roll]

[/roll] 1d6 +3 +1d6[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #215

MindFlayer

The last kenku readies itself to face the human man when an arrow streaks across the warehouse and strikes it in the back. The kenku lets our a horrific cry as it falls to one knee, grasping its bow with both hands and pushing the end into the floor to steady itself and get back on its feet. Blood runs down its back and forms a dark trail that runs down the length of its cloak to the floor.

Spoiler: Turn Order
    Show

Hans is up next followed by the Kenku. The one Erdan shot is the last one standing and it is in bad shape. The one the human man downed is still alive but is out of the fight.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-02-26 at 04:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hans unsheaths his sword as he flies down the staircase. He charges at the kenku with the arrow in its back and smacks him across the head with his sword's pommel, in an attempt to merely maim him.

Spoiler: Attack roll
    Show

[roll/]1d20+5[/roll]

7. - Top - End - #217

MindFlayer

The kenku sees Hans approach and ducks to avoid the blow. It pushes Hans toward the human man, who grabs Hans by the shoulder to steady him. The kenku runs toward the warehouse door and opens the lock, then grasps the handle at it looks over its shoulder, a look of terror clear on its face.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kenku took the Disengage action. Squig up next. Then Dengar.

8. - Top - End - #218

HalflingWizardGirl

Hmm, the human man is not Floon. But he knows Floon and can probably help us. 'Leave one alive', he said. But there's only one left and he's escaping!

Squig yells to her companions, "The last one is running away!" Still on her belly, she takes out her crossbow and aims for the Kenku's leg, hoping to prevent it from bolting out the door without killing it.

Spoiler: Light crossbow attack
    Show
    (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[6]

9. - Top - End - #219

MindFlayer

Squig’s arrow flys toward the kenku and strikes just above the ankle. It falls over, howling in pain before falling unconscious.

Seeing the fleeing kenku fall, the human turns towards the one he had wounded earlier. “Stay put, or else” he says to it threateningly, then turns to Dengar and smiles. “You have impeccable timing. Another minute and they would have gotten to me!”

“Renaer Neverember. And you are sir...?” He says as he offers a handshake to Dengar, who notices that the man is marred in grime and smells of sour fish and vinegar. Getting a better look at him, he does appear to closely match the description of Floon.

The warehouse is full of crates and debris. Twelve bodies line the southern and eastern walls under the second floor, all clad in leather armor with weapons laying around them. Streaks of blood adorn the floor, signs of an earlier skirmish.

10. - Top - End - #220

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bear View Post
    Squig’s arrow flys toward the kenku and strikes just above the ankle. It falls over, howling in pain before falling unconscious.

Seeing the fleeing kenku fall, the human turns towards the one he had wounded earlier. “Stay put, or else” he says to it threateningly, then turns to Dengar and smiles. “You have impeccable timing. Another minute and they would have gotten to me!”

“Renaer Neverember. And you are sir...?” He says as he offers a handshake to Dengar, who notices that the man is marred in grime and smells of sour fish and vinegar. Getting a better look at him, he does appear to closely match the description of Floon.

The warehouse is full of crates and debris. Twelve bodies line the southern and eastern walls under the second floor, all clad in leather armor with weapons laying around them. Streaks of blood adorn the floor, signs of an earlier skirmish.
    "Dengar" he says as he shakes the man's hand.
    Neverember... this could get interesting "You've seen better days, eh? We were looking for someone. The trail lead here. How'd you end up in the broom closet surrounded by parrots?"

11. - Top - End - #221

MindFlayer

"Well met, sir Dengar" the man replies. "And yes, I could use a drink...and a shower" he says as he moves to sit atop a nearby crate. He pushes his long red hair out of his face and you see his strong, square jaw covered with short stubble. Even covered in grime, Renaer is strikingly handsome.

"I heard someone calling for Floon as you entered. Unfortunately, he is no longer here. Floon and I were drinking and gambling the other night, when we were attacked on our way home by a group of Zhents, who then brought us here."

A sad, guilty look washes over Renaer's face. "They were questioning us...well, me...when the Xanathar's guild swarmed the place. I'm lucky I was in the back and able to free myself and hide, but Floon was out here. They must have mistaken him for me and taken him somewhere after the fight. I've been trying to escape for...it feels like more than a day...but I couldn't get past the ones that stuck around. I heard them saying they were going to look around and kill any more Zhents that show up; I was hoping to use such an event to escape, but alas they found me first. Luckily, you all showed up." A slight smile spreads across his face, you get the feeling he is relieved to be out of the storage closet.

He looks over to one of the two wounded kenku and says "Perhaps they can tell us where Floon was taken..."

12. - Top - End - #222

PaladinGuy

Hans overhears Dengar's and Renaer's conversation.

I wonder, is he referring to the same night Floon was out with Volothamp? Volo never mentioned anyone else.

Hans trots over to the kenku near the man, with the arrow in its back. Far from a sadist, Hans wasn't looking forward to interrogating their captives.

I just may get sick. But these things are raised from pure evil. Pain and fear is what they know.

Hans lays his foot on the lower spine of the kenku and lightly grabs the arrow protruding from his back.

"Listen, it's not in my person to strike down a powerless thing like yourself. But my friend over there, who split your comrade like a wishbone," he says as he nods towards Dengar, "It seems that he quite likes it."

At this, Hans wiggles the arrow in slight circles as he puts his mouth inches from the kenku's head. He whispers through gritted teeth, "So, what can I tell him about Floon's whereabouts, before he gets really, really angry?"

Spoiler: Intimidation check
    Show

[roll]1d20+5 [/roll]

13. - Top - End - #223

MindFlayer

The kenku with the arrow in its back hazily comes to as the heavy thud of Hans' boots announce his arrival. It appears to be obviously scared out of its wits, and Hans' threat registers as the kenku looks past to Dengar, who is wiping his bloody blade on the clothes of the kenku he nearly split in two. As Hans twists the arrow the kenku lets out a yelp of pain, nearly falling unconscious.

In a thin, nasally voice the kenku quickly responds "Follow the yellow signs in the sewers." It holds up the palm of its right hand, upon which is a black tattoo of a circle with ten spokes extending from the edges. Then, in the voice of a human child it says "Please don't hurt us!"

14. - Top - End - #224

PaladinGuy

I don't trust a word this thing says. He could be leading us into a trap.

Hans removes his hand from the arrow and takes a seat in front of the kenku. His tone gets playfully lighter as he replies, "I wish I could promise that, friend, I really do. But see, you are thieves, and murderers, and well, you tried to shoot me too. You're a hazard to the world, and if I let you live I'm sure innocent people will suffer later because of my choice, and I just can't allow that. You see how tough this is on me, as well."

"BUT, if you can lead us down this tunnel, help us find Floon even, perhaps you can prove to me that I can, in good conscience, give you a second chance. I'd say that's reasonable, don't you agree?"

Spoiler: Persuasion check
    Show

[roll]d20+5 [/roll]

15. - Top - End - #225

MindFlayer

The kenku looks severely conflicted. In an orcish voice it says "Now you've seen what the Xanathar does to traitors...any questions?" while shaking its head. It holds its head it its hands for a few seconds before saying in a stern female elven voice "we do not appear to have a choice" followed by a human female voice "these sound like terms we can agree to."

It pulls the arrow from its leg with a yelp, then points to the wound and in a rough male tiefling voice says "He will only slow us down..."

Spoiler: Hans Insight
    Show
    The kenku appears to be extremely scared and very aware that its life hangs in the balance. You do not get the feeling it is lying to you, too scared to do so.

16. - Top - End - #226

BlueKnightGuy

Dengar looks over towards Hans and can hear the parrot on the floor saying something. He sees Hans twisting the arrow in it’ back.
    I like the way you operate
    Dengar lifts his Greatsword and motions to Ranaer ”it appears my friend has gotten one to talk. Let’s see what it has to say”

Dengar leans down and rips a new piece of cloth from the cleaved parrot and turns towards Hans to join him.

”what it saying?” as he continues shining his greatsword.

17. - Top - End - #227

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaaaaats View Post
    Dengar looks over towards Hans and can hear the parrot on the floor saying something. He sees Hans twisting the arrow in it’ back.
    I like the way you operate
    Dengar lifts his Greatsword and motions to Ranaer ”it appears my friend has gotten one to talk. Let’s see what it has to say”

Dengar leans down and rips a new piece of cloth from the cleaved parrot and turns towards Hans to join him.

”what it saying?” as he continues shining his greatsword.

Hans looks up to Dengar and smiles. "Good news, he's very sorry, and he agreed to help us find Floon!" He faces the kenku and says, "I'd be very proud if I were you. You have earned a chance to cleanse yourself of your past. But, I'm afraid we only need one of you."

Hans stands up and walks over to the other, unconscious kenku. He remarks in a somber tone, "I do apologize, but you're too malicious for this world." He positions his sword vertically along its spine and thrusts downward hastily, in an attempt to sever the kenku's spine and swiftly, and humanely, end its life.

18. - Top - End - #228

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig triumphantly hops down the steps to join Hans and Dengar. This fight was pretty easy! They were no match for us! She comes to an abrupt halt at the bottom stair as she sees Hans thrust his sword into the unconscious Kenku.

”What are you doing?!” she yelps with shock. “He is unconscious and of no threat to us. Why are you killing him?” she narrows her eyes accusingly at Hans and Dengar.

19. - Top - End - #229

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mila88 View Post
    Squig triumphantly hops down the steps to join Hans and Dengar. This fight was pretty easy! They were no match for us! She comes to an abrupt halt at the bottom stair as she sees Hans thrust his sword into the unconscious Kenku.

”What are you doing?!” she yelps with shock. “He is unconscious and of no threat to us. Why are you killing him?” she narrows her eyes accusingly at Hans and Dengar.
    "He would be eventually. I'm not down for just killing but these were bad birds."

20. - Top - End - #230

PaladinGuy

"He would be eventually. I'm not down for just killing but these were bad birds."
    "Yes," Hans remarks. "This was no vandal or petty thief. He was a villain, who will never hurt anyone again." He pulls his sword out from the dead kenku's spine, as his face wretches in disgust.

"More merciful than he could hope for from a rival gang, anyway."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Erdan enters the room after finding his way down from the skylight. "Whats goin' on, what did i miss..oh..." His eyes fixed on the bloody mess for a moment before his head shoots up to meet everyone else's gaze. "Welp. Whats done is done, lets have a quick look around, but we should try and high tail it out of here before the fuzz show up." Erdan begins to search the room in a quick but thorough pace that indicates he's done this before.

22. - Top - End - #232

MindFlayer

The wounded kenku watches, it’s expression turning to one of terror, as Hans approaches its fallen comrade and ends its life.

Renaer watches as the group discusses Hans’ slaying of the kenku. He looks to Hans and says “I do agree with the little one,” he looks over to Squig and nods. “He could fight no longer...but I suppose they were trying to kill us” Renaer says as he shrugs. You get the feeling he is somewhat offended that Hans killed an unconscious opponent.

When Erdan mentions that they should leave before the city watch shows up he agrees “that is a good idea. We should leave before more Zhent or Xanathar agents show up. If you’re going to look around make it quick.”

Erdan hastily looks around the warehouse. Tables and chairs are scattered about on the northern end of the main room. Crates are haphazardly stacked around in no particular order. Most of the crates contain discarded ropes and tarps. Others have moth-eaten bolts of cloth, spoiled bottles of olive oil, and hundreds of pairs of wooden-soled sandals that were all the rage last summer but are now out of style. Searching the offices, Erdan finds a paper bird.

The bodies on the first floor have weapons scattered around them. Erdan finds 12 daggers and 10 shortswords among them, but nothing else of value.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-03-07 at 06:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

PaladinGuy

No. Surely we can't take a chance with these things ... right?

Hans tries to shrug off the gravity of his first kill, and the ensuing moral dilemma, as he walks back to the trembling Kenku.

Well, this one's had enough. But he's not leading us anywhere like this.

Hans kneels next to the kenku as he procures his healer's kit. "Alright friend, let's see what we can do about those legs there," he says, as he tries his best to fashion a splint to support the fallen beast.

Spoiler: Medicine check
    Show

(d20)[13]

24. - Top - End - #234

MindFlayer

The kenku’s expression doesn’t seem to change much from outright terror as Hans fixes a splint to its lower leg. He helps it to its feet and it now seems to be able to walk at a normal pace. It gives Hans a nod but still has a look of fear in its eyes.

“Shall we go, then?” Renaer asks after the kenku is up and walking.

25. - Top - End - #235

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig folds her arms and huffs in dissatisfaction. ”We do not know their motives nor their background. It was a senseless killing. But what is done is done, as Erdan said. Perhaps this one will earn your mercy.” she nods to the remaining Kenku.

Guilt pains Squig’s heart. She didn’t like seeing death, despite understanding the necessity of it in certain situations. But what could be gained from this? Especially without knowing what other information the dead one held. In a way she envies Hans’ apparent conviction, his confidence. She was not so certain and expected to lose some sleep over this whole event.

”Let us leave as soon as possible. Lord Renaer, please tell us on the way more of the Zhents who captured you and Floon. What did they want? What questions did they ask?”

26. - Top - End - #236

PaladinGuy

Though he still felt strongly, Hans didn't feel like defending himself, as he still felt particularly brutish.

Dad and his friends would always talk about their triumphs over evil with such excitement and praise. I never thought vanquishing evil would feel so dirty.

He hadn't looked much further into these kenku past the kidnapping, and the firing of the arrow at himself just earlier. These weren't demons or malicious ghouls, after all.

Perhaps that one deserved at least some sort of trial ...

He shakes his head, as if to physically clear the thoughts from his mind. He faces Squig and Renaer, bravado re-engaged.

"Either way, the area is secure, a hostage has been rescued, and we have some help finding Floon. So long as he doesn't cross us, you have my word he'll be fine. Now, let's get going."

Hans faces their new companion. "Can we get to Floon easily? What kind of opposition do we face in these sewers?"
    Last edited by Coconut1864; 2019-03-11 at 10:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

BlueKnightGuy

"Well, I wasn't gonna carry him." Dengar says as he replaces his greatsword on his back and ties his new blue cloth to his belt.
    "Alright then. Time to move. Hans, get your friend."

28. - Top - End - #238

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mila88 View Post
    ”Let us leave as soon as possible. Lord Renaer, please tell us on the way more of the Zhents who captured you and Floon. What did they want? What questions did they ask?”
    “Yes, let us be on our way. We can talk as we go” Renaer replies. “But first, I believe I have only been introduced to sir Dengar.” He bows low “I am Renaer Neverember.”

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut1864 View Post
    "Either way, the area is secure, a hostage has been rescued, and we have some help finding Floon. So long as he doesn't cross us, you have my word he'll be fine. Now, let's get going."

Hans faces their new companion. "Can we get to Floon easily? What kind of opposition do we face in these sewers?"
    “Yes, and thank you for the rescue, friend. And...please try not to kill this one.” Renaer says, indicating the kenku.

The kenku looks worried at Renaer’s comment, but turns to Hans and says with a nod in a female dwarven voice “Xanathar Guild” followed by a human male voice “in the sewers.” It then shrugs it’s shoulders and says in Hans’ voice “Floon” and then shrugs again. It looks to Hans hopefully, having provided the information requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaaaaats View Post
    "Alright then. Time to move. Hans, get your friend."
    “Agreed. Let’s head to the sewers” says Renaer as he slips his rapier in a loop on his belt. “And be careful, put those away” he says, pointing to your weapons. “You do not want to get caught brandishing a weapon on the street, as the law can be very tough in Waterdeep.”

The group of adventurers and Renaer follow the kenku out of the back door of the warehouse to the fenced-in yard, where it turns around, looks at Hans, and points to itself. “Scratchy” he says in a dwarven male voice. He then turns around and begins leading you to the sewer entrance.

On the way, Renaer walks next to Squig and says with a guilty look on his face “you were asking earlier about why the Zhents had kidnapped me and Floon, and I find it only fair to tell you the truth since you all saved me back there.”

His visage grows more serious. “When the zhents were questioning me, they were asking about my father. They think my father embezzled a large amount of gold while he was Open Lord, and that he hid the dragons somewhere in the city. They think they can find it by using an artifact called the Stone of Golorr, which was in the hands of the Xanathar Guild until recently. Apparently, someone stole it. The Zhents thought I knew something about all of this, but I don’t. My father and I haven’t spoken in years.”

After a short pause he says “I feel terrible that Floon was taken, as they likely mistook him for me.”

29. - Top - End - #239

PaladinGuy

Embezzled gold. THAT's what Scratchy meant about 'traitors' to the guild. Wow, between Volo, Floon, and now this, there's too much going on here for me.

"Thank you Scratchy. I'm Hans, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you. Now Scratchy, we think your compatriots took someone who looks just like this man," he says as he motions to Renaer. "We believe they think he stole something from you. Do you know where such a man might be held?"

After a short pause he says “I feel terrible that Floon was taken, as they likely mistook him for me.”
    Hans eyes Renaer after his kenku comment. Quite judgmental for a man who let his look-alike go away in his place, he thought of saying.

No Hans, it's over. Don't make things worse. He instead chuckles heartily and answers, "No worries, Scratchy and I are quite good friends now. I promise to look after him while he's with us. I'm Hans, from the neighboring town of Helmstaad. I'm meant to be on a mission, but I'm here to help until we safely recover Floon."

Now let's see how well this stranger's story aligns with Volo's.

"Renaer, was anyone else with you two that night?"

30. - Top - End - #240

BlueKnightGuy

...quite good friends now...
    pfft "Prisoner" Dengar says as he rolls his eyes a bit "I wouldn't get too hopeful for a blossoming relationship." He then pats Hans on the shoulder with a smirk and a quick HA

"Renaer, was anyone else with you two that night?"
    Dengar turns his attention to Renaer
    "can you give a run down of what exactly happened, and why you were in this seemingly bad part of town?"