New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Requesting Advice on Creating Music

Hello.
    I've known for quite a while that I want to make my own music, in fact I've used a program called Acid Pro at my school's soundhouse to create some basic pieces. The issue is that the program relies on pre-recorded loops that my school's talented musicians recorded and placed onto the music department's server.
    Instead of relying on premade loops, I'd like to use a program where I can define notes to be played, and the program will then play the notes on the selected instrument.
    So, with that I have some thoughts.

Firstly, FL Studio
    Does anyone know if FL Studio is what I'm looking for? I've had a look, it's on my school's computers and I'm almost certain I can acquire it on a student license. However, since I can't quite make heads or tails of it, I'd like to have a second opinion before I continue looking into it. Also, if you think that it is the program for me, then I'd appreciate it if you could also direct me toward any tutorials you think are particularly effective.

Alternatively, if anyone knows a better program for me, then I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thank you for reading, and premature thanks to any helpful responses.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Requesting Advice on Creating Music

I don't know anything about all this software stuff, but my friend uses GarageBand, and his music's not bad. Maybe you could look into that.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

By the power vested in me by the Gods I declare The Great Musical Software Search to be over. Instead of dealing with the overbearing complexity of FL studio, I've discovered a free and simpler alternative.
    MIDI Editor.
    Some of you may be aware of the MIDI file format, some may not, but the short version is that this will enable me to create some tunes. One must practice to make perfect, but I have spat out a quick thing to listen to:
    https://soundcloud.com/nikola-derpfa...ungeon/s-rogCU
    I just selected some instruments I thought sounded interesting, and then let the music carry me. It produced this spooky piece. If any of you are making an adventure game set in a spooky dungeon, castle or rainforest, this might sound right for it.
    QUICK EDIT: However, the exporter I used to convert from MIDI to MP3 did change the sound of the instruments slightly from the editor, an unfortunate consequence of the MIDI format.
    Last edited by 5crownik007; 2018-12-25 at 05:08 AM.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    By the power vested in me by the Gods I declare The Great Musical Software Search to be over. Instead of dealing with the overbearing complexity of FL studio, I've discovered a free and simpler alternative.
    MIDI Editor.
    Some of you may be aware of the MIDI file format, some may not, but the short version is that this will enable me to create some tunes. One must practice to make perfect, but I have spat out a quick thing to listen to:
    https://soundcloud.com/nikola-derpfa...ungeon/s-rogCU
    I just selected some instruments I thought sounded interesting, and then let the music carry me. It produced this spooky piece. If any of you are making an adventure game set in a spooky dungeon, castle or rainforest, this might sound right for it.
    QUICK EDIT: However, the exporter I used to convert from MIDI to MP3 did change the sound of the instruments slightly from the editor, an unfortunate consequence of the MIDI format.
    If you have a .midi file, you have done most of the work. Then, you can load the midi file into FL studio and you'll only need to set the right instruments for every track.
    I am not able to create my own song, but I used to download .midi file of song I like and then remake them with FL, and I sometimes did a good job.

As a program, if you want to go serious, I can suggest you to see Reason too. It is very good, and it can work with FL too if needed. Both are good for learning, IMHO.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Music is an emotional with the heart, thats all i know, creating is very difficult.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    If you have a .midi file, you have done most of the work. Then, you can load the midi file into FL studio and you'll only need to set the right instruments for every track.
    I am not able to create my own song, but I used to download .midi file of song I like and then remake them with FL, and I sometimes did a good job.

As a program, if you want to go serious, I can suggest you to see Reason too. It is very good, and it can work with FL too if needed. Both are good for learning, IMHO.
    I've never put two and two together with your name there before - Audio/Visual too? I have number placement and Audio/Visual synesthesia.

On topic with the thread.

Reason is a bit more intensive for new users, but I wish I had learned it first. I have worked with FL Studio since Napster Days and Reason can produce higher quality results when you get to learn how to use it well. FL is really good for plug and play, but it's not really good for pushing you to expand your capabilities.

I could fine tune this bass drop... but... Eh, it's good enough.

Actually, that's a good way to put it. FL Studio has a really good surface quality to it, but trying to get deeper then EQs and side chaining is really tedious. Reason is a bit more challenging to get the swing of, but it makes everything much easier when you do.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Learn some music theory. It's basically algebra. A brief syllabus might be: note names; rhythms; scales; intervals; triads; functions; cadences; modes; tensions; voice leading. The Echochrome game soundtrack is IMO a masterclass in everything music theory has to offer.

Read about spectral analysis and how to properly stratify your tunes. (This is the engineering side now). Analog guitar effect pedals are excellent case studies in understanding spectral analysis. If you have the time, also read a little bit about tuning systems and their inherent brokenness, but be aware that that is an advanced topic.

Above all, practice your instrument every day! If all you have is a piano roll editor, that's good enough to practice composition and engineering.

Edit: As for specific software, MuseScore is a free, stable, professionally developed score editor. The hitch is you have to use standard notation and by default it only has basic MIDI playback.

If you have any questions along your journey you can always PM me.
    Last edited by Aveline; 2019-02-19 at 08:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I've made music for years, working on getting known, but I have a few months to graduation. Music theory would help, but you don't need it, especially if you have good ears and musical sense.

I use FL Studio and I would highly recommend it. I've used Reason, Cubase, some Ableton, but FL Studio is my tool of choice. It comes with enough samples and synthesizers for you to do wonderful things. You should start with using presets before you start designing your own sound samples for use in production.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.