New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Is there a video editing equivalent of GIMP and Audacity?

Is there an equivalent of Audacity or GIMP for video editing, where it's a freeware program but well made?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a video editing equivalent of GIMP and Audacity?

There are. Which one would be a good pick for you depends on your opperating system and what you need it to do.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been using one called Shotcut for a while. Seems fairly decent... but I also haven't really touched enough paid ones to know for absolute certain. Still, may be worth a shot?(no pun intended)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    There are. Which one would be a good pick for you depends on your opperating system and what you need it to do.
    As another person interested in this question: I work on Windows (10), I'd like to be able to import from and export to as many oft used formats as possible, mash together sound and video from different sources with precision timing and some simple effect like speed ups to synch things, and do animated gif like work, but good looking and with sound. So drawing or photoshopping animations myself, with as little work as possible to adapt one frame into the next. I'm fine working with GIMP and Audacity for parts of it, but the less switching between programs the better.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-12-26 at 07:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

I've got a Windows 10 computer and I've also got an older Windows 7 computer
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I too would love to hear a good recomendation.
    Windows 7 & 10, editing existing videos, trimming & splicing, adding/editing sounds and sound tracks. (i.e. editing Twitch streams before posting on YouTube).

7. - Top - End - #7

I've heard good things about KDE Kdenlive. It's designed primarily for usage on Linux, but they do provide Windows binaries.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

How do the youtube videos get made? it can't be that difficult, there are thousands.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

99,999 out of every 100,000 youtube videos is absolute trash because of poor editing.
    Often, people upload raw footage, or use... Windows Movie Maker to edit.

You should try what I tried when I was looking for music making software. Google "free editing software" and search for a little while. You'll probably find something, and if you don't well, here's some other suggestions.

If you're going to a high school, university or college, check if your school's students are eligible to receive student licenses for software. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Australia, almost every high school has a deal with Adobe for student licensed software.

See if anyone you know in real life has the software and can share it with you. That way, you can get access to professional software for free. Though eventually, you're going to run into issues.

Just don't use Windows Movie Maker. Ever. Microsoft made it harder to find and that's probably the greatest act they've ever done.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious to see you elaborate on this given the use cases others have mentioned in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    99,999 out of every 100,000 youtube videos is absolute trash because of poor editing.
    They still exist on youtube, which is more than can be said of the ones that were filmed but not uploaded.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    They still exist on youtube, which is more than can be said of the ones that were filmed but not uploaded.
    Which is actually quite bad from a "green" perspective. The raw energy consumptions of parts of the cloud is quite staggering, once you have comparison points. The moment you have to say a sentence like: "Youtube has a higher energy consumption than the cities of New York or Hong Kong", something has gone grossly wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Which is actually quite bad from a "green" perspective. The raw energy consumptions of parts of the cloud is quite staggering, once you have comparison points. The moment you have to say a sentence like: "Youtube has a higher energy consumption than the cities of New York or Hong Kong", something has gone grossly wrong.
    The same argument can be made for Netflix or any streaming service or a game console and their on-line games. The alternative is to drive to get entertainment. On-line streaming is the most green option.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ