Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doors and Statistics and Monty Haul - Is MitD helping?

I mean, let's be real, as someone said above, Serini was a rogue. There's a 0% chance that the gate is actually behind any of those doors.

(Come to think of it, why are the gates even accessible? Why not encase it entirely in that special everything-proof stone she has?)

...come to think of it, the location of the gates are from her diary. Is there any reason she'd even have to write down the actual location of her gate? One of the themes of the tomb is that Kraagor's sacrifice was forgotten, and the fact that nobody even remembers where he died would fit in with that. I mean, narratively "haha, oops, Serini's gate isn't here! You have no idea where it is!" doesn't really work storywise, but it's a thought.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-01-03 at 03:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I mean, let's be real, as someone said above, Serini was a rogue. There's a 0% chance that the gate is actually behind any of those doors.
    Serini wanted a monument to physical strength in remembrance of Kraagor. It would defeat the purpose of the tomb if it wasn't approachable as a massive slug fest.

(Come to think of it, why are the gates even accessible? Why not encase it entirely in that special everything-proof stone she has?)
    Repairs.

One of the themes of the tomb is that Kraagor's sacrifice was forgotten
    No, it is not. Its theme is that his sacrifice should NOT be forgotten.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Serini wanted a monument to physical strength in remembrance of Kraagor. It would defeat the purpose of the tomb if it wasn't approachable as a massive slug fest.

Repairs.

Grey Wolf
    I eman, logically speaking, it would make the most sense to have it so that, say, touching a certain set of doors in a certain order opens the path. That way, you can access it, and your enemies can't. But, then, people don't act perfectly logically, and, if any of the Scribblers had, things wouldn't have gotten this bad in the first place.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I eman, logically speaking, it would make the most sense to have it so that, say, touching a certain set of doors in a certain order opens the path. That way, you can access it, and your enemies can't. But, then, people don't act perfectly logically, and, if any of the Scribblers had, things wouldn't have gotten this bad in the first place.
    A complex enough pattern that can't be found by coincidence would also need to be written down. That's just asking for her diary to fall into the wrong hands and give the information away. The doors are secured, in a way that Kraagor would approve of, which is also perfectly logical.

Grey Wolf
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

A complex enough pattern that can't be found by coincidence would also need to be written down. That's just asking for her diary to fall into the wrong hands and give the information away. The doors are secured, in a way that Kraagor would approve of, which is also perfectly logical.

Grey Wolf
    It could be something as simple as a lever at the end of all doors of a certain shape, all of which need to be flipped to open the path at the end of a door that's a different color than the others. An intruder might not make the connection and even if they do they still have to fight their way through many doors anyway, and it's easy to keep track of if you need to visit the gate for some reason.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    It could be something as simple as a lever at the end of all doors of a certain shape, all of which need to be flipped to open the path at the end of a door that's a different color than the others. An intruder might not make the connection and even if they do they still have to fight their way through many doors anyway, and it's easy to keep track of if you need to visit the gate for some reason.
    I don't dispute that Serini might have put in a roguish shortcut to access the gate, BTW, just dispute that it's the only way to get to the gate. I think that Serini would not disrespect Kraagor's memory by not making the gate reachable via sheer force of arms.

Grey Wolf

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

One of the members of the Order of the Scribble was obsessed with deception. He wasn't a rogue and his Gate has already been destroyed. There's no indication that Serini valued deception at all; to what extent she had a theme in the Order of the Scribble, it currently appears to have been--what the others needed and ultimately didn't have--cooperation. "A rogue must be super-deceptive" is the same kind of shallow stereotype that dictates that Roy should be acting more like Thog; Serini could easily have been a Lawful Good rogue with 0 ranks in Bluff.

(Though Haley and Vaarsuvius both cleave to their class stereotypes.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

In fact, we know that she was Lawful Good, because she considered multiclassing to paladin.

Though, just for the sake of completeness... She does appear not to have any ranks in Bluff, but then, that's just what it would look like, if she were really, really good at bluffing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: Blood Warrior Shadow Rider

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Check out the inscription on his statue. It doesn't say that his sacrifice shouldn't be forgotten, it says that it was forgotten.

I think it's very likely that the version of the story passed down by the Paladins was not 100% accurate, or that she didn't fully express her feelings at the time.

(I also like this theory because that would mean the statue was a clue and that Team Evil completely missed the incongruously odd nature of the inscription when they were vandalizing it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    In fact, we know that she was Lawful Good, because she considered multiclassing to paladin.
    Her party members told her it was a bad idea, which might mean that she didn't actually meet the requirements. And it's also possible (even likely) that she wasn't serious.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-01-03 at 12:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Kraagor said "I don't know if you're the paladin type, Serini." That should not be expanded to "her party members, plural, told her it was a bad idea."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Serini was the one to suggest the five of them should retire, pick a gate and never contact the other Scribblers, but she kept adventuring and she stayed in touch with Girard. We know very little of her, but what we do know doesn't point towards Lawful.
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Serini was the one to suggest the five of them should retire, pick a gate and never contact the other Scribblers, but she kept adventuring and she stayed in touch with Girard. We know very little of her, but what we do know doesn't point towards Lawful.
    Which makes it pretty interesting that, for all Girard's suspicions, Soon was the only one who didn't violate the oath to never make contact.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Check out the inscription on his statue. It doesn't say that his sacrifice shouldn't be forgotten, it says that it was forgotten.
    That's what the inscription says, yes. Between the emotional context of the scene in which that inscription was made and how pointing out that someone was forgotten by literally engraving it in stone has a certain level of inherent contradiction to it which suggests not to take it at face value. Which in this case works out to "he was a hero who's sacrifice shouldn't be forgotten, but the nature of his heroism meant it had to be", from the embittered position of other people working in that same secrecy.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

I should point out that in Shojo's story, it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by OOTS 277
    She decided that she would build a tomb for Kraagor, and fill it with the nastiest monsters in the world, to reflect his belief in the power of physical might.
    It does not say she built the tomb at, over, around, or even near the Gate. The likelihood, yes, is that the tomb is intended to guard the Gate. The art suggests that both would be found in a cold climate. It is perfectly sensible to go to the trouble and expense of such a complex construction in order to protect the Gate.

Nevertheless, the comic doesn't say so explicitly. If one is looking for a loophole, this might be it.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I should point out that in Shojo's story, it says:

It does not say she built the tomb at, over, around, or even near the Gate. The likelihood, yes, is that the tomb is intended to guard the Gate. The art suggests that both would be found in a cold climate. It is perfectly sensible to go to the trouble and expense of such a complex construction in order to protect the Gate.

Nevertheless, the comic doesn't say so explicitly. If one is looking for a loophole, this might be it.
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey_Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey_Wolf. He's probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey_Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey_Wolf. He's probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Thor damnit. I may have (with your permission) to add this to my sig somewhere.

Grey Wolf

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Thor damnit. I may have (with your permission) to add this to my sig somewhere.

Grey Wolf
    Permission granted. Now please excuse me to Squee.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't dispute that Serini might have put in a roguish shortcut to access the gate, BTW, just dispute that it's the only way to get to the gate. I think that Serini would not disrespect Kraagor's memory by not making the gate reachable via sheer force of arms.

Grey Wolf
    Serini was also the voice of reason to the scribblers. I find it plausible that she'd understand the gravity of what she was defending, and would not be above putting a trick on things. Especially since she was defending something that Kraagor died in order to fix in the first place.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Serini was also the voice of reason to the scribblers. I find it plausible that she'd understand the gravity of what she was defending, and would not be above putting a trick on things. Especially since she was defending something that Kraagor died in order to fix in the first place.
    Notably, as others have pointed out, she seems to have done what they should have been doing all along: pool their strengths. The multiple doors, only one, or none, of which have the answer channels Girard's fondness for illusions and deception. The memorial aspect matches Soon's obsession with honor. The gate has magic on it to keep Xykon from being able to bypass it, like Dorukan's. The tomb is in the middle of harsh wilderness, and filled with deadly monsters harnessing the most powerful parts of nature, showing a respect for nature, as Liriam would have, and Kraggor..Well, that's obvious. She took all their "themes," illusions, honor, arcane magic, nature, and physical strength, and pooled them to create an uber dungeon. If only they could have done that with all of them, things might not have gotten this bad. Almost as if the comic's trying to send a message about the importance of cooperation and not letting petty grudges get in the way of the greater good.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Though, just for the sake of completeness... She does appear not to have any ranks in Bluff, but then, that's just what it would look like, if she were really, really good at bluffing.
    Now you've filled my head with a whole bunch of unlikely plot twists (Serini was working for the Dark One all along! Serini was Loki in disguise all along! Serini was from the Snarl's world all along!)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Now you've filled my head with a whole bunch of unlikely plot twists (Serini was working for the Dark One all along! Serini was Loki in disguise all along! Serini was from the Snarl's world all along!)
    Serini was Kraggor all along
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Serini was Kraggor all along
    I was going to suggest that Oona is Serini, but your suggestion takes a lot more skill...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

As I said, I think it unlikely myself. It’s not the kind of wordplay gotcha game that’s likely to come up. There’s no good reason to think ithe theory is true. However, it’s as well to remind ourselves where the text ends and where our assumptions — even very confident ones — begin.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the massive slugfest can still serve to murder anyone who comes looking for the gate, adding to its defenses while putting the actual gate elsewhere. Or the actual hidden door could have even more monsters behind it.

But either way, I totally don't think the gate is behind any of those doors. Why would she do that? Kraagor's belief in physical strength doesn't require being stupid. And putting the gate in an obvious place is stupid. If you're going to set up a big "THE GATE IS HERE" display, you put the gate somewhere else.

Also, again - her statements about how she's defending her gate come from her. If we're assuming she's willing to be deceptive - and, again, regardless of her alignment, she was a rogue, so she absolutely was - there's no reason she'd give anyone the full details, especially knowing that one of them is a Paladin who won't lie to others, making him a security risk.

If she's going to add a twist at the end to add another layer of security, she's obviously not going to tell anyone. That would defeat the whole purpose of it.

(There's also a narrative issue to consider here. Why have the defenses on Kraagor's gate be built by Serini if they're going to be exactly the defenses Kraagor himself would build? What's the narrative purpose of having an extra member of the Order of the Scribble, and to have Serini, a rogue, building the gate for Kraagor, the fighter? I mean, there's a lot of possible answers to that, and "it's just part of the story for other reasons" is valid, but it's something to consider.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-01-07 at 08:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

and, again, regardless of her alignment, she was a rogue, so she absolutely was
    Again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    One of the members of the Order of the Scribble was obsessed with deception. He wasn't a rogue and his Gate has already been destroyed. There's no indication that Serini valued deception at all; to what extent she had a theme in the Order of the Scribble, it currently appears to have been--what the others needed and ultimately didn't have--cooperation. "A rogue must be super-deceptive" is the same kind of shallow stereotype that dictates that Roy should be acting more like Thog; Serini could easily have been a Lawful Good rogue with 0 ranks in Bluff.

(Though Haley and Vaarsuvius both cleave to their class stereotypes.)
    Bolding the parts you're ignoring to act like my post was just "she might have been Lawful Good."
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Last I checked, Bluff was a class skill for rogues, not a class feature. Serini could have easily gone through 20+ levels without ever putting ranks in it.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-01-07 at 11:25 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.