Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 423
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    The crowd that forms around Yhrashnal is, much like every interaction with mortals, quite frustrating; he pushed through for a few seconds, but that moment is all the time it takes for the warriors who rushed away to disappear around a corner, leaving Yhrashnal without a guide.

    "The school of Punishment. Of Perfected Rage. Serene Hatred. Suffering. Rebirth. Pain.

    You are welcome to learn of these things. Arrange a place for this lesson."


    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+12)[18]
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-17 at 04:31 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Parade Grounds
    Aside from the one who had a pleasant exchange with [B]Donovan,[/B tThe assembled men recoil in shock at Yrashnal's words. Confronted with the idea of subverting the basic principals of peace and virtue, those listening mutter to themselves that this one, this monk who calls himself Yrashnal..."he offers a test for us and our sense of purity." Despite their frank conclusions of his nature, they face his sense of urgency, power and anger, and step away from his path, allowing him to leave wherever he so pleases.

    The Maiden's Tickle
    Kyorlin is given admittance back to the Maiden's tickle, and though the ladies coax a few coins from him, the jealous looks he gets from other men tell him he's actually had quite a deal on the price of his drink. Kyorlin's mood is quite readable, and he is left alone aside from the occasional lady who makes sure his current course of drinks are satisfactory.

    Spoiler: Kyorlin
    Show

    If he wants to take in any knowledge or gossip, he'll need Gather Information, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    "...As expected. Come when you seek power." The Monk departs at a steady, relaxed pace and does not spend much time or effort determining where the disturbance took place now that his leads have vanished; he could do so if he wished, but there is another matter to look into that might make better use of Donovan. Yhrashnal takes a slow walk toward the docks as he partially explains the situation.

    <Poison in Wine cellars. Hidden potion laboratories. Secrets in the bank. Mages that can detect me. We will ambush them. Enslave them. Make them like you.

    Your kind are also subjects of this place. Tools for our mission.>
    [Donovan]
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-28 at 02:19 AM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Maiden's tickle
    Kyorlin

    None of this seems to be alleviate his mood. He listens to gossip to pass the time.
    Spoiler: gathering intel
    Show
    gathering information(1d20+3)[23]
    sipping his drink, enjoying the sights of the geisha with passing interest.

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    The Maiden's Tickle

    Kyorlin's foul mood leads him to other entertaining distractions; the Geisha, in turn, use him as a buffer between more unpleasant and rowdy men, who are cowed by the large man's brooding manner.

    At first Kyorlin doesn't hear much else, but he does hear--in passing--that one of the Samurai of the local garrison is having trouble recruiting enough troops for...? but the conversation passes his stationary position.

    Sitting there, Kyorlin hears excellent gossip, however, that makes it worth his time and money.
    Spoiler: Drinks will cost him 1.5 GP this half-hour
    Show
    There have been sixty-seven deaths in Kyuden GoteiThe Rear-Admiral was murdered on a ship by a water spirit; he was found, drowned, among the bodies of the dying stuffed in a cabin on his capitol ship.

    There are some Samurai--like Saionje Uga--that are under investigation for corrupt and dishonorable practices. Others are Hojo Kaishin and Shomun Jotano.

    This past month, all of which have been with people of influence in the bank or with merchants. No one seems safe, and even Bushi are being well-paid to be around.

    Many capitol cities and port-towns have had deaths like this. Kyuden Moshi, the centipede capitol, has been particularly hard-hit, and worse, most of their Shugenja have been assigned to special tasks regarding special concerns of the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    Decides to attempt to leave and makes his way to the door, then stops pivoting he heads towards the bar. I would like to talk to the Manager.

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Donovan follows Yhrashnal, still intrigued by the idea of being aided in his task, instead of opposed at every side. He'd tried before to simply convince others to embrace his insight, but it had ended poorly on every occasion.

    "You misunderstand my nature. It is not slavery, but a freedom. A sort of enlightenment..."
    "But it is not simple, nor expedient to become as I have. They will first need to be delivered to the sea."

    He speaks more eloquently than he had in his previous conversation with Yhrashnal, a rapid and marked improvement indicative of rememberance rather than learning.

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    The Monk takes a moment to consider this information; water is obviously the best environment for his companion and when this being spread its form to others it will depend on the water to properly create more of its own kind. Some afflict with bite, some breed through murder, and this being erodes life alongside the sea.

    "Understood." His elocution is as abrupt and concise as ever; perhaps more so than before since he need not speak his mind since his mind can now speak for him. <This is a delicate area; the domain of a being like a Voice Called,>[Donovan] Yhrashnal lets that statement hang for a moment before continuing, <...of great value. Secretive. Cunning. Capable. Not worth offending for no gain. Reagents, poison, mortal wealth, mortal lives, magical secrets: Do you have need of these? If not we should check with the Drow-fiend.

    My life-force was damaged by that mortal you replaced. I have need for flesh. Time. This can wait, but it must be done. After this task. Before our main mission.>
    [Donovan]

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Survival check (Int as ability Mod) to scent-track Kyorlin. (1d20+9)[27]
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-29 at 10:02 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    It's not too difficult to find Kyorlin; his tracks lead him to a rooftop, yes, but his scent follows his previously-left scent at the bar of a brothel not thirty paces from the northern entrance of the barracks. The location is further-confirmed by a peach-perfume-scented lady tailed closely by a silk-robed lady. They pass by quickly, but their exchange is less hushed and more hurried "..and he asked to see you right away Lady Itoshi."
    "His name?"
    "Kyorlin or something?"
    "Great...Crab-clan. Mion?" The Lady Itoshi, svelte and poised, pauses briefly outside The Maiden's Tickle. She wears delicate silk robes of soft orange that pairs well with her blush; it forms a sharp contrast with her eyes, lined with bright red paints and black eyeliner; they command authority with their presence "Crab men speak their minds. It's good I've been summoned.
    "Th-thank you~" The younger lady flourishes a bit awkwardly as she waits for the older woman to enter.

    The Maiden's Tickle
    Kyorlin's evening ruminations change with the appearance of the owner, Lady Itoshi, in all of her finery. Her peach-and-red outfit, her hair pulled up and back, held into a pear-shaped bun and covered by cloth matching her kimono; her eyes red-and-black that show she is anything but a soft fruit, like the rest of her dress. She walks quietly to the bar; the one man who reaches for her butt--to give it a squeeze--finds his hand facing a very sharp metal fan. He recoils his hand, bleeding from a deep cut, and leaves. She fans her face, watching Kyorlin, and faces him.

    "Lady Itoshi, owner and manager. You are Kyorlin, correct?"
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-03-30 at 11:31 PM. Reason: more visible speech color
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    "I would have use for each, but none are needed. Time would benefit me as well."

    Indeed, Donovan's brief communions with the serenity during his duels have left him with a lingering inspiration; new secrets to be scrawled upon himself. The process was not inexpensive, but could be more easily funded in other ways.

    However it seemed a matter of course to bring up his own discovery once more.

    "... I spoke before of a cove. Guarded, but with many treasures. I doubt that I alone would be swift enough to prevent them raising an alarm. But knowing more of this land's warriors, the two of us could likely overcome them. Would this also risk offending the one you mention?"
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-03-30 at 11:58 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Maiden's tickle
    Kyorlin

    Gives a curt respectfully bow I have come to enjoy my time

    I would like to discuss a potential business arrangement, would you like to continue this in private?

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    <Possibly. It is unlike us; less direct by far, less destructive twice over. It knows of eldritch trickery. Much like...>[>Donovan] The Monk closes a fist and hums an odd, but extremely practiced, melody that gathers sparks of unearthly power to his fist...which then jump through his fingertips and dissipate into the wind. Yhrashnal examines the still-closed fist closely before putting it back at his side. <Hm. Never mind. My growth is still insufficient.

    That One does not deal in death as we do. However, it is worth Alliance. Companionship. Not slavery. Disparate relationships. If slaughter is to our benefit, so be it. We will deal with it later. We will find a gift for it during our mission. It has a liking for important mortals. One moment.>
    [>Donovan]

    Yhrashnal closes his eyes for a moment, launching a ripple of thought-essence outward in the direction he detected Kyorlin's scent. This telepathy bears no message, no words, no meaning; it is little more than a moment of mental background noise aimed at roughly where he thinks Kyorlin would be if the strange creature is even within range of Yhrashnals ability in the first place.

    <If my power reached the Drow-Fiend it should be alerted; perhaps enough to survive. If not, we will lose little. Lead the way.>[>Donovan] The Monk vanishes mid-stride just as its eyes take on a fiendish tint and its arms bulge as new connections to reinforce the burgeoning claws upon its hands.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Swift Action to become Invisible.
    --Current HP: 98/98 (Con damage)
    --
    AC: 20 (-3 from Con damage)
    --
    Yhrashnal takes on his natural form and then enhances it with two extra arms, a second set of eyes just above his natural ones, and a talons upon his feet. If relevant this would be a Standard Action to assume base form, and another Standard action to use Combined Essence to grow a second set of arms, possibly followed by a third Standard Action to shift his Talons from his feet to his second set of hands.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-30 at 01:09 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Maiden's Tickle

    Without another word, the Lady Itoshi leads you to a corner of the common area. A few ladies trail you; one brings the both of you cushions, another a small tea-table, and a third carries a tray; she sets down a mat, already-stewing tea and cups for the both of you. The ladies retreat from the area, leaving you alone. No one could approach this area without being obvious that they'd be listening. Alone, sort of, but still seen, she nods her head to Kyorlin in silent indication for him to continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Maiden's tickle
    Kyorlin

    Sitting on the mat he excitedly takes a cup of tea, bring it to below is face he closes his eyes and enjoys the aroma. Seemly pleased with the scent he sips from his cup and places the cup back on to the table.

    Since you already know my name you must know the title I have here.

    I would like to offer the services of myself if not my traveling companions if it suits them. Have you heard of my performance with Uga today?

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Donovan leads them towards the area beneath which the underflow crosses. As he does so, he goes over what he'd seen before in more detail, before then describing the entrances.

    "There are two, at least. One is hidden, an underwater passage with dangerous magical fields. They are stationary, but difficult to notice. If you have a means of surviving without air then I can lead you. It was not kept close watch over when I traversed it, and may afford us surprise...

    The other seems to be the main entrance. I know less of it, but it is more accessible.
    "

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    <I breath as mortals do. For now. With a live shark or squid I can correct that problem. Otherwise, the second path is better.

    The Docks first then. Perhaps the mortals have captured something useful.>
    [Donovan]
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Swift Action to become Invisible.
    --Current HP: 98/98 (Con damage)
    --
    AC: 20 (-3 from Con damage)
    --
    Currently in 4-armed (Claw+Talon) Barghest form.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-30 at 07:57 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    The Maiden's Tickle

    The Lady Itoshi's eyes tighten at the mention of Uga. It's a small gesture, and easy to miss, but perhaps she meant it to be seen. "He does not swing from a rafter, blood exiting between his legs, does he? He did that to a young geisha once. " With the questions her summary have likely raised, she continues after a pregnant pause.

    "She loved him greatly, and she'd believed his affections were sincere for her, too. When he pulled away, she sought to pressure him into marriage to raise her child. Saionje Uga is the son of a wealthy and powerful merchant, and he uses his father's position as a means to protect himself. His family carries influence over all of Rokugan, and when I heard an Emerald Magistrate--and company--were here I had hoped to hear that monster had the justice he deserved. But--" she takes a quivering breath. Though her face is a mask, her tone gestalts despair and rage. "Well, I could be killed for even saying as much as I've said, and most men would look away, or even help, if he asked for it.

    She watches the tea curl, holding the silence as long as she dares. Just before Kyorlin deems it appropriate to respond she continues,

    "I was once told, as a little girl, that the Emerald Magistrates serve the country of Rokugan as a gardener tends to a garden. No one kills a gardener when he prunes the hedge of diseased limbs."
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-03-30 at 11:31 PM. Reason: more visible speech color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Southwestern docks

    You arrive just past mid-day at the bustling docks. Ships arrive and depart here, and the business is military--mostly--and you are given berth and freedom to explore once Donovan has been recognized as an Emerald dignitary. Yrashnal remains unseen by most, but there are a number of very strange looks he gets by robed shugenja that do see him. They say nothing, but watch Yrashnal as they go about their own conversations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    I do apologize, he is a stubborn one, I hope you hear of our scorching performance, and it brings you satisfaction.
    I would be willing to continue with Uga as I would for your other troublesome patrons for compensation for my time. I'm going to find my companions and discuss it with them.
    getting up give a curt respectfully bow and leaves.

    Wandering the streets looking for his fellow void called.

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    <Mostly war vessels. Even so, one of these boats must have fresh catch.>[Donovan] The Beast slows his stride for a moment to draw deeply from the scent of the sea in hopes of picking out the smell of dying fish from the rest of the almost overwhelming odors.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Survival check to find fish/Seafood via Scent: (1d20+9)[28]


    <...This way?>[Donovan] The Beast projects to Donovan as he adjusts his course slightly; unfortunately he has to spend extra effort sending Donovan directions since Yhrashnal is mostly undetectable, but that is the sacrifice he must make here. Although the Beast does does not typically spare those who detect him even a first glance he does, at least, keep the number of invisibility-bypassing mages in mind as they make their way closer to (what he hopes) is the first step toward the team's goal. This military state is ready for trouble. Especially here in one of their most important/vulnerable areas.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-31 at 08:26 AM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    As he walks along the docks, Donovan gives a knowing nod to those shugenja that seem intent upon the empty air near him, hoping to dispel any alarm. He inquires about the catch, and whether it includes anything of a less usual nature.

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yrashnal and Donovan make their way among the extensive docks. Everywhere sounds and smells abound: The wash of fresh ocean, crisp and warm with the taste of rain in the air, mingles with birds that dart in and between the many ships moored at the docks. The many piers, too, creak and sway with soldiers and shugenja, couriers and porters going their own hurried ways.

    On the between the piers of the great dock, there are indeed fishing trawlers, most of which have a bird or two that attempt to avoid the swats of the men rowing among the ships, bartering or selling fish to those ready to depart or just about to travel. Men lean over rowboats suspended over the sides of the warships and balance, ever fearless, as they heave bunches of fresh fish in exchange for generous compensation. Some ships, prepared for long voyages, seek just-cured cured already.

    Donovan approaches a younger shugenja who looks helpful, and upon request, he calls over a pair of older men on a longboat. The shugenja doesn't stay around--he gives Yrashnal a worried look--but the fishermen approach. They have the lean bodies of men inured to the flow of fishing life. "What can we get you, young man?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    <A creature to contribute to my strength. Shark or squid offers the most. Lesser creatures would be sufficient, not optimal. It must be alive.>[Donovan, Fishermen] The Beast approaches the humble workers and allows its thoughts to scrape at the edge of each fisherman's mind, simultaneously sending slightly more pleasant copy of this transmission to Donovan to ensure the undead knows of its needs. <Delayed payment should be within the realm...of our...authority...>[Donovan]

    While delivering his desires Yhrashnal's attention locks onto one of the many birds flitting about above the docks; much like the fish he requires to travel alongside Donovan he should be able to make good use of such a creature. The Beastly form he has taken quickly compresses and stretches and rearranges into that of the Monk as he stands there. In the next moment some of the scant traces of power lingering within the disguised barghest are given structure; after a good twenty seconds of watching and transforming and finding a proper target Yhrashnal explosively launches himself into the air and snatches at one of the many birds in hopes of grabbing it without instantly crushing the poor thing to death.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Current HP: 98/98 (Con damage)
    --
    AC: 20 (-3 from Con damage)
    --
    Currently in 4-armed (Claw+Talon) Barghest form.
    --
    Series of actions-
    Round 1: Standard Action to transform in the Monk, losing natural attacks and extra arms.

    Round 2: Standard Action to use Fly SLA (expending two uses of the Levitate SLA to do so).

    Round 3: Charge Attack Grapple on one of those birds; I'm sure Seagulls are the most common but if something larger, like a duck or heron, shows up Yhrashnal would prioritize that other bird. Higher tier predators are even higher priorities.

    Movement speed: As per Fly speed: 60 (so a strike range of 120 feet), Good Maneuverability.
    Attack: (1d20+19)[37] (+1 unarmed, +2 Invisibility)
    Grapple initiate check: (1d20+16)[28]
    --
    Effects at end of round:
    -2 AC from charge (18 AC)
    Invisibility Ends.
    Aura of Despair affects bird (Will save DC 16 or suffer -2 penalties).
    Remaining Fly Duration: 59 rounds
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-03-31 at 05:22 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    Wanders towards to water as one of his party members is infatuated with the sea. On his way he keeps an eye out for a potion shop or a scroll dispensary, likely some place not owned by humans(has rokugan humans seem to abstain from magic).

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Just as water takes the shape of its container, it would seem. But Donovan does not dwell long upon the curiosities of his companion.

    "An... unusual request, perhaps. But my friend would be most appreciative if you have anything of the sort."

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    The Maiden's Tickle

    Lady Itoshi looks furious with Kyorlin, and says only, "Uga's injuries, along with his association with this place could lead to this place facing terrible retrubution, and no one from the state would intervene. Many of my women have nowhere else to go, else we'd flee.

    ...While wicked men like Uga live, our country will breed the sins of men to be normal.
    " This last she whispers to Kyorlin and sweeps away before he has the chance to reply. Her demeanor cold, she kindly tells the men in the common area that they'd best make their selections or find another place to be tonight.

    Kyorlin exits the place promptly, his tea and drinks generously compensated already--a small measure of thanks, perhaps, but bittersweet--and he passes by a small shrine, where finely-robed Shugenja write down intonations or prayer recitations, or Ofuda.


    Kyuden Hida - SW docks

    The two older men look shocked by Donovan's "request" and slowly repeat, "You want a shark--alive?"
    The other says, "Well, we do sometimes find octopus, but not today..."
    "Yeah, we know someone who hunts rare creatures. A foreigner named...Ahab. Salty man, very nasty. Loves strong liquor and a good challenge."
    "Would he find them a shark?"
    "For free? I'd like to see him convince the sea dog." The first man turns to Donovan and says, "If you can convince that old curmudgeon to do it for free, we won't charge you the finder's fee for taking yo to him. Hop on!"

    The two men share several good laughs as they maneuver the boat and let Donovan on. Strangely, the boat sways as if an invisible creature ran quickly across the length of the boat and lunged forward, towards the bay. The fishermen, concerned about their craft not behaving erratically, miss the awesome sight of a fearsome wolf-creature appear in midair and *slam* into a spectacled cormorant.

    Several people on the doc had been enjoying the fishing habits of this incredible fishing bird. It must be roughly twelve pounds--enough to feed three starving men for a meal or two--and it has been perched on a vessel lazily floating towards the middle of the bay. It dives from the low stern of the ship, likely to catch itself a fish that had come up to eat. It doesn't complete its short dive.

    Yrahnal descends in a flurry of attacks as the Anja monk. The bird has a brief moment to correct its course, but its attempt fails to his grip. A chorus of gasps accompanied by pointing people--mostly shugenja--accompany this, and a few others turn from the ship to observe the loud crash into the water nearby as Yrashnal bears down its prey into the bay.

    The older men notice this, purely from a standpoint of their maneuvering the boat, and one asks, "Is it just me or are the Kami restless?"
    "Rokugan has its cycles."
    "But that's a monk!"
    "Oh yes. He must have Rakshasa blood."
    They paddle on, and speed Donovan towards the mouth of the bay.
    "Ahab's not too far, maybe an hour's journey from here. The man has a terrible plot of land, but he uses it well, and lives peacefully away from Kyuden Gotei"
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-03-31 at 11:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    Sighs, it sounds like he can not cash in on his mission unless he kills them after....

    He needs another drink, maybe he'll remember to ask them for information. It matters not as he is tiring of these non killing missions, for why the void would call upon most in his party for this task he can not fathom.

    Has he didn't find any potion or scroll vendors he goes to the a bar the fisherman frequent, maybe he'll commit some terrible act of slaughter to cheer himself up.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    The Ajna-Monk is utterly ruthless in his assault of the bird, pummeling the hapless creature as the ocean draws the pair into its grasp. In striking the creature down he spares himself no dignity or face: one hand throttles the bird about its neck, two hands smash its wings with force that could crush the skull of an ox, and the last palm strikes the bird repeatedly as he forces its organs to fail manually. Only when the bird has been reduced to a state half a hair away from death does Yhrashnal end his attack to swim forcefully to the surface; three arms and the athletic ability of a war-fiend allow him to quickly breech with his quarry in tow and, after a moment spent reorienting himself, the Monk steps out of the water and into the air by means of his meager magic.

    A strangely content expression rests on the Monk's face as he skims against water gliding after the boat bearing his companion; even a hateful dog-fiend is still a dog, it seems, and is exceptionally happy with a successful hunt. <This will be useful. Very useful.>[Donovan] He projects to Donovan as he closes the distance between them.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Yhrashnal will beat, subdue, and cripple the bird but he'll hold off on acquiring/killing it for now: he can only hold 2 forms and there is no point in acquiring the bird then immediately forgetting the bird to acquire a shark instead. Especially since he'll need to delete the shark immediately to access its water-breath ability.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-04-02 at 08:34 AM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    Frustration building at not finding a bar for homicidal entertainment he goes back to looking for magic method of breathing underwater. Maybe he is looking at this all wrong, perhaps their is a mundane way to travel underwater. Wondering if there are treasure hunting supplies for archeological purposes...obviously, like diving equipment.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-04-01 at 04:47 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Mantis islands - West of Kyuden Gotei
    The wind has died down for now and the two men row their boat contentedly towards a jetty to the north. Yrashnal lands on the boat just in time to lose his ability to fly. The fishermen are more than a little put-off by a monk, carrying a bird, one of its wings broken, in his hand, but they keep their pace and continue the journey. It looks as if the men want to say something, but instead decide to bite their tongues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •