New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

Kyuden Gotei

Kyorlin, ignorant of the magical nature of ofuda for Shugenja, looks about the area he's passing by. Not at the docks yet, he goes past the dignitary quarters at a fine pace. On his way, he recognizes a servant--she averts her eyes on his approach--who had served tea to him and his companions when they'd arrived. She's carrying a wax-paper parcel that has the scent of ocean spray about it, and excuses herself from his path on her way to return to the Dignitary Quarters.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Follows the servant back to his quarters if not able to catch her to ask her where to purchase what he desires then to take a look at that package.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Returned to his element, Donovan had grown somewhat more somber since they'd departed the docks. The willingness of these men was no longer a necessity, and so neither was the charade of kindness.

Though... If they kept a good impression of their passengers then it might help things along with this "Ahab".
    "Nothing to worry over. Unusual company is but a chance for new experiences."

Indeed, there would be time aplenty for broadening horizons during the return trip.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-04-02 at 08:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Dignitary Quarters

The servant, unsettled at being so directly asked by Kyorlin, tells him promptly where he could find any diving equipment he desired. The servant refuses to give him access to the package, however, apologizing profusely, and excuses herself into a nearby room and locks the door. Kyorlin can hear footsteps leading away from the room, and sees her no more. He is not alone, however.

A man, robed in Shugenja clothing, approaches Kyorlin from another hallway. He glides towards him, and the crimson of his robes gives contrast to the golden phoenix designs along the sleeves. After appraising Kyolin's disposition he gives a curteous nod and introduces himself. "Chomu Wakabe, of the Moyasu Shugenja. Ah, are you one of those Magistrates that came from Kyuden Hida? I would very much like to sit and talk with your companions when you have time. We have some information that must be relayed to the other magistrates. Be sure to call on me the next few days. Room 16. He bows and waits for a response, and if not engaged he will sweep on by and exit, then proceed north and east towards the center of the city.

more

5. - Top - End - #155

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

let's hear it then, head the way. I'll relay the information to my compatriots when I see them.
    Follows this man.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-04-03 at 02:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Dignitary quarters
    "Ah...Right. " Sweat falls from his brow as he leads Kyorlin to his own quarters. You wait a few more minutes, for tea of course. The man is silent and looks quite uncomfortable. "I lead a group of thirty Shugenja practiced in circle-magic. The High Lord here had wanted our aid against some...foe that had supposedly corrupted an ancient portal deep beneath the castle. Did you hear a quarter of their fleet being destroyed?

...ah, of course you were there. I, we...left the Phoenix clan at the wrong time. Reflective people made of magical glass have showed up at the Phoenix clan. They claim to work for agents beyond the Burning Sands, and our spells are nearly useless against them. The Elemental Spirits themselves know nothing about them, and they demand answers to their demands before this month's end. I have sent word to Magistrates Tokua, Higemo, Aruwa, and Shinden--ah, Shinden Yuki, that is--but I admit to being poorly connected for my time in a school for many years. Can you recommend anyone else?

more

7. - Top - End - #157

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Alright, I will take this information to my group and we will see if this is something we can help with.

Would you happen to have a scroll or potion for breathing or be able to make one or two?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Dignitary quarters
    The phoenix man clearly seems agitated, although not beyond thinking his thoughts out loud. "Ah, of course, I must have caught you on pressing business.

Scrolls? You mean ofuda? Aren't there other Shugenja scribing ofuda at the shrine nearby? They provide services to the public, sure, but they'll also scribe a spell for you. You have that signet ring, so certainly they'll record it and send it to Otosan Uchi for compensation. That's worked for me.
    He rises from his table, bowing graciously and looking as if he must leave, himself.

Ah, please enjoy more tea with me again some time soon! We should have a larger gathering. I find those to be most invigorating, and we'd love to be able to share more with our Emerald Dignitaries.

--

Hut North-west of Kyuden Gotei
    With little to discuss, you speed your way to the jetty upon which a small house perches. There's a sizable bamboo marsh between that divides this stretch of and from the mainland, and it seems to be well-groomed. Two medium-sized plots of land hold worked-and-planted vegetables, and it seems the stretch closest to the hut has been partially plowed, but the sailor has taken a break. Many vegetables that looks like a cross between miniature green trees and flowers have been dug up and a man heaves a sack into a cart.

One of the fishermen in your boat stand as they dock on a soft, gentle curve of land that's perfect for landing small craft. "Oi! Ahab! How are you?"

"Come help me finish this harvest. Damn legs giving me trouble--"
    "I thought they regrew it?"
    Never had a leg regrown by a spell? Still smarts summat awful!"
    The two sailors look askew at each other but offer their help. "We'll give you what aid we can, but how long should it take?
    "Five 'o Us be done before tha sun moves much further."

He sits on his porch and, nursing a leg that he treats tenderly, he gives snappy and loud encouragement to finish the tasks. With the four of you rotating to work the plow--and it's awkwardly hard work to push for all but the anja monk--you make short work of the field's structure. With a bit of direction, the old sailor has all the field plowed and planted and a great harvest to look at.

While you've all worked at the fields, he's sorted through his crops and decided what to compost, what to eat, and--apparently--what to cook.

Nearly half the field were tubers--either yams or just sweet potatoes--and some of them are quite large.

"Lucky you came. I was going to have to make the rest of these tubers into schochu!"
    "You know how to do that?!?"
    "I've learned a lot, living here mostly alone, these past twelve years, so yes. "
    "You've lived here that long?"
    Aye. If my crew hadn't all drowned before I got here, and if I hadn't had my leg regrown by that kind witch or whatever..."
    "Shugenja?"
    "Aye. She took me in, an' I'm sure I'd still be off trying to kill the whale that took it."
    The other sailor, the one that's a bit older, spits on a rock that nearly trips him. "This is a poor plot of land, though."
    "But favored by the gods, she said. And poor the land may be, I can smell the sea and work the land o' tha sadness ta turn it inna what? All this! "

He gestures to his little islet, and it truly is peaceful. Amidst what must would normally be buffeted horribly by the winds and storms, it's certainly very calm, and birds fly overhead, even, to catch the insects in the marshy area that separates this land from the rest. His bamboo-wood hut has been divided efficiently into a storage area, an area to sleep, and a rudimentary kitchen, which even includes a cooling hole to chill items for a long while. It's not terribly tall (seven feet at most)

"I have'n axe, stone to sharpen it, blades to cut what I need, nets to fish the shore, an' no bustle o' tha land back home.
    It's peace enough for a broken heart.
    "

When the sorting has finished, the harvested crops either well-arranged--including a sizable haul of vegetables for the sailors--or composted into rather large pits which the accented ex-sailor says is how he gets such excellent yields--he sits you all down into his hut and thanks you profoundly.

"Now...This old man never brings strangers here unless they have an odd request
    The elder fisherman flinches a little at being so directly pointed out, but he nods his head.
    "Out with it. I'll see what I can do as I heat up this stew."

more

9. - Top - End - #159

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Finally takes a sip of his tea, notes to self to wait until after the business is discussed before drinking tea. Yes, we'll have to do this again with the rest of them.
    Thanks for the information and your time.
    with that he takes his leave. While walking away he holds his signet ring with his other hand and tries to contact Tun.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - dignitary quarters
    Kyorlin must wait for a minute, but he soon feels the piercing voice of Tun in his mind. It rings with surprise. "Have you completed your task already, mortal?

more

11. - Top - End - #161

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

In his head says [No, these humans are a stubborn lot. This time isn't about that a human just told me reflective people from another world are invading in a months time, is this the coming darkness we're supposed to prepare rokugan for?]
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-04-04 at 04:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

"I am here to improve myself. To study beasts. To consume the worthy. I seek a sea-beast to practice my art; these men state that only you could catch one.

You seem amenable to a trade. I want a Shark. Or a Squid. Or an Octopus. Or any living sea-predator able to fight and kill a man. Or the means to find one on my own. What would you ask of me for this? You do not seem interested in wealth, but I have greater means than mere money."
    The Monk holds this mortal in an unwavering gaze, his captured bird still tucked under one of the lower arms.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Dignitary quarters
    Kyorlin feels the sharp pangs of disappointment seep through the mental connection. You are welcome to bargain for that information. What will you pay to know the answer? I can assure you, that information could be extremely valuable in the right ears.

Ahab's Islet
    The man's eyes flash for a moment. Yrashnal and Donovan see the great depths of sadness from this man, the pit he's filled, mostly, with quiet and serenity. The man teeters on the precipice between dedicated, learned serenity and unquenchable vengeance. He leans a little towards the latter as he whispers, I know of a great whale, a gargantuan beast that could threaten even the greatest ship of this entire nation.

The other sailors look uncomfortably at each other but they lean in.

I lost my leg to tha creature. Lost my crew. Lost my ship...least I got me leg. It lives in the deep sea of storms, through which mortal men rarely live to tell the tale. 'Twould take a month's travel, best, ta find it. But tha price would be...vengeance.

The second fisherman--the middle-aged one--looks as if he's about to say something, but the older man touches his arm and nods to Yrashnal, as if to say It's his call, not ours.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2019-04-06 at 01:14 AM.

more

14. - Top - End - #164

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Releasing his signet ring with his other hand with sigh, if it was the shadow.... maybe I need to contact the void himself... what did that sailor said only the crab would talk to the void everyone else just ignores him... hmm wonder why they would ignore a disembodied voice.

Goes to the nearby shrine for his scrolls.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-04-06 at 03:51 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

"Interesting. A single beast did so much?" This is not exactly what Yhrashnal was looking for, but Yhrashnal considers the offer all the same; a single creature capable of besting any ship and crew from this nation? The Beast is currently pursuing so many tasks and fulfilling several important obligations; hunting such a creature would surely be worth his time, but is it worth neglecting or abandoning his other duties?

"Two months?" In a single month he has acquired abilities unlike that which he possessed after his postnatal feeding frenzy. Deep, hateful power no less magical than the normal abilities of his kind, but unwieldy and laborious to employ. Ancient strength from begat by his ancestors, offering him a more adaptable body. The blessing of the Voice, making Yhrashnal unlike others of his kind. These things will be his advantage when facing his brothers, his fore-bearers, his ancestors who first refined some of the powers he is slowly mastering.

"Two months..."The aid of several lesser Voice Called has granted him the backing necessary to face enemies he could not normally evade and win battles he would not normally survive. It is obvious that working alongside the Voice Called will be of great benefit to him even if the daily gains from doing so are less than what he would gain from striking off alone. But this would truly be a fine hunt...

"If this is what you ask then I refuse. To waste two months now would be counterproductive, even if this creature you seek is worthy." His statement drops with great finality. "My strength is still growing. A powerful Sea-Predator would benefit me greatly. There are injuries from a battle that I must eliminate. A powerful Sea-Predator would be useful for this as well. Even so, my time is more valuable than serving these ends. There are other ways to accomplish these things. Predators that are less than your foe.

I would need more time before embarking on this hunt. If I fail in my current mission then there will be no nation to produce the ships this creature destroys. There will be no lords to watch over your land. There will be no men alive to work it. Even if I abandoned my duties it is doubtful that I would be able to slay the being as I am now. Two months of time wasted would stunt my growth such that slaying your foe might be less beneficial than merely continuing without my prey or yours. If the return trip is the same, four months would certainly be a great loss.

However...this will not be true forever. Within the year my circumstances will change. Within the year your foe will still live.

Aid us for this year and we will slay your foe once our power is sufficient. We have need of a shipmaster. You have use for our strength. Your skills will aid this land. Your guidance will purge the sea."
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-04-06 at 07:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan can only note the sailor's personal turmoil with a sorrow of his own. Though the subject of the tale is... peculiar, the tone in which it is related conveys conviction; obsession. A vendetta. It brings to mind experiences of a life long past, and the senseless pains a beating heart could inflict upon itself. Donovan had held no ambitions of the same magnitude, granted, but a greater desire could only mean a greater suffering when left unfulfilled.

Naturally he knew the solution to the captain's troubles; the solution to all troubles of the soul. But it was one not readily accepted.

Donovan is of like mind to his companion in at least one way; a month is by far too much time to lose in gaining entrance to the treasure cove. But in another fashion he disagreed; the captain would be of little use to them so afflicted as he was. To say nothing of the prospect of leaving him to suffer when he so clearly desired absolution.

"Why such a lengthy act of vengeance if peace of heart is what you seek?"

... "I assume you have not remained here for twelve years in the hopes that this whale will come to you. Rather than helping you to abandon your search for serenity, perhaps I could help you to find it?"

17. - Top - End - #167

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Grabs his signet ring to recontact Tun. Mentally convening
    [Tun do you really work for the void? We were brought here to strength the rokugan peoples were we not? Why don't you collect payment from the void since this is his project, does he not offer you payment?
    Miss old Tun that just gave us things.]
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-04-07 at 12:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Citizen's Shrine
    The shrine bustles, now, since it's picked up attention. Many people--mostly lower-class citizens--bustle to the shrine to fulfill requests for families, prayers or to have questions answered by the gods. The air thrums with activity here, but people part for Kyorlin and let him find who he wishes.

The Shugenja preparing Ofuda take themselves aback with Kyorlin's request, but scramble to full it. "You see, it's not a spell one prepares every day, and it's not pearl season." He's assured by one of the kindly ladies working at the shrine that he'll get his request, and when they ask where he's staying, they assure him that he'll have his ofuda by the end of the day. An older woman, likely past her seventies, excuses herself from the writing to see to the request personally, and with good posture and a steady gait that belies her age, she goes to Tenshukaku itself.

Ahab's Islet
    Yrashnal's voice leads him back from the edge of madness. The sadness that he'd revealed goes back into his eyes, and retreats into the depths of his mind; Ahab is present again in peaceful dwelling he's made here. The monk wants to find a creature sooner, not later, and obviously wants to...somehow use its power. Odd, perhaps, coming from a culture that seems to revere both efficiency and minimalism, that he'd talk so flippantly of a sea-predator. He makes promises like many in this country: So far in the future, it's impossible to say that one's commitments would lead them back here.

Donovan leads him back, further, and with an offer of peace, the retired sailor replies, "Yes, peace is the charge I gave myself when those shugenja left me here, to find my serenity. It wasn't easy... The man looks off into the ocean and yet addresses Yrashnal, "This boat--" he points to the one you came in-- "Will do little. We need a clipper.

The other fishermen nod. "We can take you to someone willing to lend a boat. But you must return the same day..."

Ahab nods. "Of course, of course. No time to waste, then. Let's be off!"

Kyuden Gotei - SW Docks
    Another hour passes for the 5 of you to return to the docks. In very little time, you find yourselves in a tavern with other sailors not currently at home, and Ahab, in short order, proves his prowess as a social animal and a veteran storyteller; after all, the price of a boat that will help you is, apparently, the story of how he once found and caught a shark when he was sixteen. The sailors, of course, eat the story up as they drink, and the two fisherman who had served as connection follow you to the docks and shove off as you're given permission to board what Ahab calls "a fine clipper."

It's a two-sailed boat, and he assures those loaning it he could sail it himself with one other ship-mate, and that three would be more than enough. Ahab wastes no time giving a mini-lesson on how to sail the boat: How to manage the ropes and rigging to maximize the pull and direction of wind, how to approach the water, how where you're headed is dangerous at best. "A shark, then, monk, will require you to spill your own blood. They love a flailing body, and will attack it within minutes of finding one. "

You have not shoved off yet--Ahab wants to be certain of your proficiency with the basics of a boat first--and oddly, Kyorlin manages to walk by, as if in a daze. He stares at his signet ring, deep in concentration.

Tun's voice fills not only Kyorlin's mind, but also Yrashnal's and Donovan's. My patron is the Dark Voice, just as it is yours. I do not give gifts like a common priest doles out hollow blessings. Your trinkets are no common items. How often has the signet ring helped you avoid questions? Allowed you to forgo payment? Saved you the displeasure of being questioned by others? Given permission to act with impunity? How many wounds and scrapes have you healed with that kit?

The dark voice freed me from my restraints and I am paid in freedom to do as I please.
    I have guided a vampire to take over two mining towns, to turn them into minions, and now she slowly gains footing as a lord. I have helped a filthy rat to a terror-dimension; if it returns, it will start breeding its own army within a week. What do you have to show for your time here, dark one? Empty bargains and ingratitude? You have 62 hours, spider kisser, or I will reclaim my gifts. Kyorlin feels his connection end so severely that blood dribbles from his left ear.

more

19. - Top - End - #169

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Makes a note to kill Tun, well this complicates things, I bring him information and instead of simply confirming it he wants stuff, now he has become an impatient beast that is more trouble alive. Needs to speak to the void himself- many notes, another note stop making deals with Tun.

Made 1 deal with him an exchanged for an oni soul got a task I didn't want he gives bad deals- without his gifts I would likely start killing humans with impudence, humans are too weak to protect themselves waste of time. Need to make an example of Tun others, the vermin I have already promised to kill but now I add a vampire to that list.

Turns around and heads back to Uga's place but wary of being seen, is time to break him or dispose of him. After him maybe his victims, doesn't really matter. Eventually he'll get the crystal filled. If not maybe he needs to recruit some magic users to stomp out Tun with him.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    stealth(1d20+18)[33]spot/search(1d20+12)[20]
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-04-07 at 05:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - city entrance

The city is difficult to track scents in, but there's a helpful villager who, upon asked about Uga's wanderings, gives Kyorlin a dark nod. "I seen you at the theatre," she says, "stand up to him. I help you. He leaves soon... This way!" The villager, a middle-aged lady of hearty body and leathery hands, waves him through an alley where many clothes dry. He has to duck beneath a few clotheslines, but you emerge at the abrupt edge of town, oddly, right near the castle's exit.

Saionje Uga talks with a few guards near the back. He touches his face--still soft, it seems, but the bleeding has ceased for now--and tells them about the incident. He doesn't look over his shoulder, so he doesn't see your approach.

more

21. - Top - End - #171

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

It is best if he is quiet for my mission so going to knock him out. take out some drow knockout poison and dips a bolt in it and takes aim concentrating on his signet ring for luck fires
    Spoiler: attack
    Show
    hand crossbow(1d20+21)[25]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

Kyorlin's reaction is a troubling portend that perhaps the thing has power beyond the scope of what Yhrashnal expected. How many deals must one make before this creature has power over you at such range? How far can it reach? How much can it do?

"..." Yhrashnal considers the option of following Kyorlin to help it complete whatever strange task the thing has put it up to...and then disregards that idea. He has no stake in this and, at worst, Kyorlin would merely be injured or inconvenienced by the other creature and not outright slain by it; this much he is almost certain of as the Voice would naturally not want its agents to die fighting each other over petty trinkets and jewelry.

The Awakened Monk spends a few minute miming the actions Ahab preforms in a slow, deliberate manner. Hopefully he does so well enough for this team to push off; there is work to be done besides acquiring a slither of strength from the sea.

23. - Top - End - #173

ElfMonkGuy

Though he'd never spoken with the creature himself, Donovan is able to guess from context at the one responsible for the telepathic tirade. He waits until he can speak to Yhrashnal without being overheard, and then asks simply: "Tun?"

~~~

In his past life, Donovan had spent a great deal of time around sailors. One does not do so without learning something of sailing, but the flippant entertainer he'd been was just as quick to forget.

Indeed, the experience of being told what to do with this line or that was quite familiar, but the exact instructions seemed unfamiliar and at times confusing. Even after his death, Donovan spent enough time around sea vessels that it was likely worth taking this to memory for once.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-04-09 at 06:51 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

"Do not be alarmed; It will not kill the Drow-fiend without proper cause. This would displease the Voice." It is unlikely either party will actually do permanent harm to the other but that does not, however, ensure Yhrashnal will benefit from each Voice Called as he has in the past. It would be prudent for Yhrashnal to learn the methods to create his own magical artifacts from slain foes and fallen 'allies'.

There is always so much more that needs to be done: Tasks for the Voice to gain its favor, martial training to better deal with its foes and its relatives, magical study to relearn what it has sacrificed, evading those of its bloodline, and now it needs to study the methods to harvest magic from the dead.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Near the Entrance
    Uga drops with the dart. The guard next to him continues to clean his blade, laughing, and doesn't even seem to notice his absence for the time being. The guards start talking, a bit loudly, and gesticulate wildly about their past stories. They seem very involved in talking to each other, and Kyorlin catches a whiff of alcohol on their breath. The lady points at Uga, and gives Kyorlin a look of urgency.

--

Ocean near Kyuden Gotei

Donovan receives no response from the metal-voiced creature, and only receives the briefest assurance from Yrashnal of his other companion's security. With the aid of Ahab, you make it into the ocean, and several hours pass. The sailing is not terribly straightforward, but the older man moves with the energy and ease of a man thirty years younger; clearly he feels comfortable on a ship. Moreover, his confidence has translated well to ease the two of you into the sailing and what could be tricky scenarios skirt by with what seems like incredible luck: The ocean in the greater depths seems treacherous and wild, but perhaps this is where he feels most alive. Finally Ahab ducks into the main cabin and when he returns, he holds a sharp and well-maintained cutlass out for Yrashnal to wield.

"The ocean here has many creatures and the predators you demand. You there, young monk! Yer daft fer doing this, but if you want ta sumon a shark...Do yourself a few slashes on each o' yer legs, and let tha blood flow true!"

Spoiler: crunch
    Show
    Ahab is asking for Yrashnal to attack himself ~4 times, twice per leg, so that he can jump in the water with non-inconsequential wounds.

When that is done, Ahab will then give him ~200 feet of rope, tied to the ship's front mast, to tie around himself. "Mr. quiet and I'll keep tha boat steady as we can. Good huntin'"

more

26. - Top - End - #176

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Strolls up like owns everything around. Hello good sirs picks up Uga like a dear friend dragging his buddy when he is wasted. Looks like someone had to much to drink. I'll take care of him from here, good day.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

After loosely binding the rope around his waist Yhrashnal', without hesitation, slashes his own legs before calmily walking off the boat. The trail of blood is strangely dark even in direct sunlight and it stains his path from the deck of the small clipper to open water a good fifty feet away with blood the deep red color of wine.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Skipping attack rolls.

Claw 1; (1d4+5)[8] (-5 from DR-Hardness)
    Claw 1; (1d4+5)[6] (-5 from DR-Hardness)
    Talon 1; (1d6)[5] (-5 from DR-Hardness)
    Talon 2; (1d6)[6] (-5 from DR-Hardness)
    ---
    Current HP after self mutilation: 67/92 (-MAX 18 HP from con damage)
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-04-11 at 08:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

ElfMonkGuy

Indeed, Donovan has said little over the course of the venture. But once Yhrashnal has vanished past the prow of the ship in pursuit of his prey, and only the two remain upon the swaying deck, the dead man speaks once more.

"You seem at ease when upon the sea; seem to feel its call...
    Does peace elude you even now?
    "
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-04-12 at 08:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Near the Entrance
    The soldiers, inebriated and taken by surprise, straighten up and give respectful bows to Kyorlin as the man takes Uga away. The old lady pats Uga's back as if she were reassuring him, lending herself to the ruse. It looks as if the soldiers want to say more, but they don't quite yet.

The two soldiers return to the caravan and they put their heads down to confer with a few more soldiers.. It looks like although they may not concern themselves with openly challenging Kyorlin, his actions are indeed noticed. Soon, after having collected into the city's proper, they ride off out of the city.

Deep Ocean - West of Kyuden Gotei
    The salt water bites at Yrashnal's new wounds as he fully enter the water. The cold is a cool soothing undertone to the sharp sting of his self-inflicted wounds.
    "Swim around lad, be alive! Let yer blood flow as you kick 'n the Sea!"
    Ahab's encouragement comes none-too-soon as water threatens to overtake Yrashnal. Although the clipper seems barely affected by the medium chop of the waves, and needs only little adjustments here and there, the monk faces the undulating crest of a massive beast.

The ocean's waves dwarf him. It's not too hard to stay with the rise of the first wave that comes his way, but as it passes through his space he finds himself plummeting downwards. By the time he's able to extract a breath from the air above him, another swell tosses him away from the boat into the depths of another wave. As Yrashnal emerges he hears the voice of Ahab lending encouragement.

"You gotta embrace her, lad! Use yer arms to help ya ride how she flows!" Whatever sort of man Ahab was on land is lethargy compared to how he seems. The veins in his arms and neck surge, and he walks animatedly up and down the ship as only a man possessed of great love and purpose will do. He watches Yrashnal struggle and shouts encouragement as he can.

The man pauses to turn to Donovan and says, "Tha excitement's barely started, Mugsy! There's no peace ta be found in the world that we don't make ourselves. My body may be failin' but I c'n tell I'll remember this trip fer years. Hold this line." Ahab hands Donovan a rope with quite a pull on it that holds a sail and with it, the boom, the long wooden rod on the sail's bottom. "If tha wind yanks yer boots, loop tha jib around tha' cleat." He points, of course, to one of two many metal loops on the ship's gunwhale; they're very much like the top portion of a torii.

The seaman goes below the cabin deck and emerges, of course, with a harpoon gun. The item is like the barrel of a crossbow stock, and it has a toothed set of grooves in the barrel where a bar can pull itself back. "Yer not ta speak a word o' this beauty ta the Rokugani, Mugsy! This baby's banned on their isles, fer some reason. Summat about guns bein' creations o' evil or summat. Blast that I say. It uses na powder, only tha strength a good forgework." He doesn't ratchet the harpoon back, but addresses Donovan seriously.

"You look stronger'n me lad, and yer eyes a damn bit better'n mine. I c'n handle the lady, but when tha' first shark appears, yer gonna need ta act quick. He'll be ripped apart by the beasts should we stay long, but if'n we're lucky, he'll grab onta one and we catch a wind an run it from tha others." He means, of course, to face the boat in the ideal way to catch the wind with greatest thrust from the sails.

more

30. - Top - End - #180

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

To the guardsThanks you for you hard work come find me and Uga later for drinks.

Whispers to his accomplice Do you have a place for me to work with him? If not it is best if we leave the city, maybe to a small settlement.