Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 407
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop
    Kyorlin

    Where is that cooperation you spoke of, admit your shameful ways. grabs another skewer and another finger and applies them like its neighboring digit.
    Is life at home such so bad you have to take your frustration on these folks. Your wife found someone better to lie with?
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-05-01 at 09:29 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    "No need. Just wait." A rush of liquefied beast-fiend drowns the cormorant, pouring over and into its body before dragging the convulsing blob back to Yhrashnal. Although odd, his words are made credible by blood slithering back into his body and ribbons of meat sprouting from his injuries to interweave with his ravaged flesh. All the while Yhrashnal diligently continues his studies.

    Hollow bones? Novel, but not practical. Yhrashnal can make it better.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP: 21/110 (16 + 5 FH)

    AC: 21
    --
    Current buffs:
    Rage*2: +4 Str, +4 Con, -2 AC, +2 Will Saves.
    Feed (Barghest HD+2): +2 Str, +2 con, Powerful build
    --
    Feed: ~59 minutes remaining
    Remaining Rage Duration: 3 rounds.
    Ghostly Cooldown: 2 rounds until it can be used again.
    ---
    Yhrashnal absorbs the cormorant as his second Void Gift form. Flight form get!

    I'll need a ballpark of what he's getting here: the speed and size of this little guy are most important.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    "... aye, captain."
    By this point it was clear that the man was projecting an old friend onto him, trying to re-live days long past. It cost nothing to play along, but only helped to convince Donovan of his prior conclusion... Ahab had helped them, and needed to be helped. Needed to be shown peace. He would make his proposition anew during their return journey, when circumstances were more permissive and spirits were not quite so high. When the captain was faced once more with the prospect of living alongside only his memories and regrets.

    And if he declined, the violence would be only momentary.
    ... Though, it might run contrary to the wishes of this 'voice'. It seemed an odd thing that he had been chosen to inflict suffering onto the Rokugani when the sole purpose of his new existence was to ease the living of the same. Did the voice have misconceptions about what he was and did, as do as the living? If not, had he benefited enough from this allegiance to make an exception? It had been a rare and enlightening opportunity to duel with the samurai as though he were one of them. But to Donovan the captain's suffering was plain to see. A tragic thing so easily helped.

    It would remain to be seen. For the time being, Donovan turns his attention towards the feasting Yhrashnal.
    "Are the sharks here still of significance to you, or should we leave them to pursue the larger one that fled while you recover?"
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-05-03 at 09:11 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    "...An indulgence. If I am not necessary to return to the island then I will pursue the injured one alone." Yhrashnal's body breaks apart into a tangle of barely visible filaments that bind together in a new pattern; where the Beast once stood is now a creature who can subdue the heavens. Larger than most waterfowl and more powerful than the most tyrannical of hawks, this Heavenly form will be Yhrashnal's next greatest advantage.

    With a few beats of his new wings Yhrashnal spurs the reflexes of the body into motion and takes off into the sky, circling the ship to acclimate himself to moving with this form; it's not quite as easy as flying magically, but he is a fast learner and the body does most of the work without needing his input. With a bit of practice, and time for his life force to mend, he'll be ready for round 2 against the greater shark.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP: 31 ( 21 + FH 5 + FH 5)

    AC: 21
    --
    Current buffs:
    Rage*2: +4 Str, +4 Con, -2 AC, +2 Will Saves.
    Feed (Barghest HD+2): +2 Str, +2 con, Powerful build
    --
    Feed: ~59 minutes remaining
    Remaining Rage Duration: 1 round.
    Ghostly Cooldown: ready for use
    --
    Round 1: Yhrashnal takes on his new Cormorant Form using the Hecatoncheires/Void Gift ability to Change Shape. I'll need various stats for the bird such as exact fly speed and, should I ever burn the form, base stats) but for now he's leisurely flying above the boat
    --
    Round 2: Yhrashnal flies at ~ 20 feet of elevation above the ship in circles, practicing with his new wings.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop
    Uga grits his teeth through the pain. "Now my wife is a target of you, too? Are you the one that's been keeping her away for so long?" He shakes his head as he feels another bamboo slat slide into his fingernails. Komona has been sleeping with another! Adultery is shameful... Uga flinches again at the third bamboo chiseling its way into his fingers and then relaxes. For a while, even as more are inserted, he manages to relax through the pain unhindered, or so it seems.

    Then, as Kyorlin works his way to his toes, he truly gives a powerful thrash. "Just kill me already, you horrible beast!! Slaughter me as you desire, appease the mob!! I have done little that other lords won't do, and I dare say my subjects are treated fairly. They are kept safe, their families are taken care of, and they even bear comforts!" Some of the villagers nod to this, and one of them steps forward.

    He is an older man, perhaps sixty years of age, with the sun-baked lines of a man whose entire life has been dedicated to toil and work. His wiry frame is efficient, and it's not entirely devoid of muscle. "This man has lived and known only a Noble's life. He has little means to see us with sympathy. Perhaps we ought to tell him what we've endured?"


    ~~~


    Deep Ocean - West of Kyuden Gotei

    Yrashnal, bleeding and bitten, undoes he re-knits parts-and-pieces of his form only to shape into the Large hunting bird. His transformation, fully fleshed and magnificent, spills prototypic blood on the ground mid-shift, but this blood, viscous as the real thing, is instead a concrete-grey. Ahab stops his celebration to watch, and his mood changes.
    Spoiler: Greater Cormorant
    Show
    NB: Change Shape will not grant Yrashnal its physical stats; he retains bonus speeds & abilities.
    LARGE | Hit Dice: 3d8 | AC: 15 (10+3 Dex, +3 Nat Armor, -1 Size)
    Speed: 15 ft, fly 70 (poor), swim 45 ft
    Str: 17 | Dex: 17 | Con: 11 | Int: 2 | Wis: 14 | Cha: 8
    Skills: Spot +8, Listen +8
    Keen Sight: Roll 2x when taking Spot checks and take the better result.
    Attacks: Beak (S) +5@1d8+3 | Claw (2) +3@1d6+1
    Multiattack: the Greater Cormorant may make its secondary attacks at -2 instead of -5
    Flyby Attack: the Cormorant may make a single series of attacks (claws or beak) as a part of its movement for a round.


    By the gods... Ahab steps back from Yrashnal, and shakes his head. Picked the wrong week to quit drinking, he muses, and begins to hack at the (larger) Dire shark in the boat. This is no butcher's work; the man really knows what he's doing, and in very short time the shark is disabled but almost completely intact.

    ...and then Yrashnal speaks again, as a bird. You...no need. Begone!! the sailor backs up and jumps as Yrashnal circles his way above the boat, and then seems to realize what they'd done. And where he was. He turns to Donovan. The Shugenja warned me of great beasts, Oni, that are corrupters of the Natural Order. I had no idea, and I wanted to believe her, but I couldn't... he backs up the edge of the ship, and he seems to see Donovan for who he really is. His eyes widen, his knees buckle a bit, he grasps nearby ropes; this is no longer a man who believes he is safe. He searches the water nearby.

    Sharks dart around the boat, hungry, biting each other, waiting for the moment for something else to enter the water, and in the meantime they bite at each other in foul temper. Ahab touches his brow, wipes the sweat that's formed there, and looks again to Donovan. "You look terrible, Mugsy." His face has flushed of color, and he levels his cutlass towards Donovan. "What the bloody hell are ye?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    <Oni? You misunderstand, mortal. I am much greater than that.>{Donovan, Ahab) If he were capable of feeling lesser emotions Yhrashnal would surely pity this man; his death will mark the loss of a fine fisherman and the loss of a mortal who might know where to find a fine foe besides. Even so, Yhrashnal has no further need for him. Not right now, anyway. If the mortal survives offending Donovan then perhaps they will be able to compel it to guide the two Void Called to its foe later.

    Yhrashnal's Heavenly form scans the sea carefully as he flies in circles until he finally decides upon a direct based on the lingering traces of blood in the water and distress in the air. Hopefully he'll have luck finding his quarry.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP: 24/98 (31 - 12 from Rage ending +5 Fast Healing)

    AC: 21
    --
    Current buffs:
    Feed (Barghest HD+2): +2 Str, +2 con, Powerful build
    ~59 minutes remaining
    --
    Yhrashnal uses his Blindsense (90 ft range) to scan for traces of blood left by the injured shark before attempting to follow its blood and Scent with survival check (1d20+9)[21].
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-05-04 at 02:21 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop
    I haven't had the pleasure of her acquaintance, maybe some day.
    Have you been acting out your loneliness for your wife on the poor townsfolk or did you treat your wife the same as these people?
    takes a break from skewering, to the audience
    Can I get a cloth and and some water? Any questions or complaints you want to convey to him be my guest.

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Donovan had hoped that an innocuous first impression might allow someone to be convinced, but the captain's frightened and immediate reaction despite the time already spent in their company reaffirms prior experience.

    "I did not speak falsely...
    Your heart is troubled, cap'n; I'm here to bring you peace. As I have found beneath the waves, those many years ago.
    "

    Donovan knew too little of this 'Mugsy' to hope to impersonate them. Instead he chooses his words so as to allow the captain to draw his own conclusions.
    In truth, he mislikes how close the captain has grown to the edge of the boat, and to the sharks in the water. It was not an ideal death; Donovan hoped to shown him the serenity's embrace as he had found it.

    The air ripples ever-so-slightly as a barrier is conjured against the brandished steel. But the dead man does not advance, waiting for the captain to decide the course.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Manifest Force Screen for 1 pp, hiding the display (concentration check, but I can't fail)

    Bluff to imply that I'm 'Mugsy', if indeed that is one of the former crew Ahab had mentioned, and if I do in fact bear any resemblance: (1d20+7)[13]
    Advantage?: (1d20+7)[9] (seems particularly believable, if I bear resemblance)

    112/112 hp
    26 AC (26 FF, 13 T)

    Force Shield: 8 minutes left

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Deep Ocean - West of Kyuden Gotei

    Ahab looks at Donovan and shakes his head at Yrashnal's voice. "There's more to this world than I thought I knew. It's been such hard work to find peace, but Davey Jones' locker I didn't expect to be tha way...You're certain I will keep my mind with this...transformation? If so...then do it. I have little to lose, and may find a greater peace. He lowers his cutlass and steps forward a tad, still holding on to the ropes.


    Yrashnal must circle wide around the boat to find what he'd been looking for. Finally he spots it; one of the smaller, injured sharks, has been swimming away but has also been fending off another shark. It finally triumphs and begins its dive downwards. Injured, however, it moves much-less quickly than normal.


    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop
    The villagers begin to relay their stories. They tell of asset siezures, village restructuring, press-ganged recruitment with little compensation, noblemen that prey on their women...as they talk, their stories weave a fabric of predation that makes it sound like a terrible monsoon has swept through them.

    Uga beams at them as they talk. When they're finished, he concludes, "The people that survived are strong, they are hardy, and they're productive." At this, there's a general uproar from the others, and the same elder man that talked beforehand says, "We will not get much more from this man. Uga should be executed so the community can hold a general service of his deeds and misdeeds, and move on from his reign of terror." Many people agree with energy and vigor, but they still look to Kyorlin for direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop

    Kyorlin

    Back hands Uga across his mouth. Grabs his jaw squishing his mouth. There more efficient ways of making a people stronger what are you even here for? Certainly these people would have become stronger without you and your forces.

    Cloth and water please.
    letting go of Uga's face he stretches a hand behind him.

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    The villagers give him the materials he requires. Although Uga struggles, there's little he can do against the Draegloth's superior strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    Places the cloth gently over his facealright Uga lets try something different pouring small amount of water over his nose and mouth area.Here you go, thought he could use a drink. Does this for 30 seconds.

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    The Heavenly beast does not hesitate even for a moment after finding his target: truly embodying divine punishment this borrowed form strikes down through wind and wave to slay this fleeing shark in a single move.

    Even after adjusting his positioning to make the transition smoother Yhrashnal's collision with water thunders; for a moment the impression of a terrible bird, with a wingspan as wide as the boat he travelled here on, is left upon the water but that is gone by the time Yhrashnal beats his wings to propel himself at top speed toward this ancient animal.

    Water gives way to each flap of his wings until the very last moment where he attacks with both wings to 'punch' despite his new form.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP: 29/98 (24 +5 Fast Healing)

    AC: 21
    --
    Current buffs:
    Feed (Barghest HD+2): +2 Str, +2 con, Powerful build
    ~59 minutes remaining
    --
    Swift action: Held in reserve to use Ghostly as Immediate Action if more than two sharks counterattack.
    --
    Fullround Action: Charge attack! From Sky to Sea, Yhrashnal charges forward at full speed and full power. Fly speed of 75 and Swim speed of 45 mean he can probably land the attack with proper management of his movement; you (Discord) ruled air to water transitions rob momentum from 2/3rds the speed fly and leave the subject around 10 ft down, which is then followed by 45 swim speed.

    Swim check: (1d20+26)[40] (+1 Feed, +8 Swim speed)
    --
    Charge TWF (Grod ruling for TWF- attack with both weapons as single attack action.)
    Left Wing PUNCH!
    Attack: (1d20+18)[34] (-2 TWF, +2 Charge, +1 Feed
    Damage: (1d4+13)[16] (+1 Feed)
    -
    Right Wing PUNCH!
    Attack: (1d20+16)[34] (-2 TWF, +1 Feed)
    Damage: (1d4+13)[15] (+1 Feed)
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2019-05-06 at 06:46 PM.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Deep Ocean, West of Kyuden Gotei.

    The Dire shark, rising upwards to avoid the pursuers behind and below it, has no chance against the diving bird. Only at the last second it notices the bird's all-too-sharp claws, that, when impaled into its form and followed by a well-placed bite, only serve to bring it to the brink of death. It starts to die in Yrashnal's clutches, and he, too, feel the danger close behind him. He hasn't much time; one round at the most.


    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop

    Uga splutters and spits at first, but he manages to hold his breath. Two villagers hand Kyorlin four other buckets. Many others mutter angrily and finally, several of them object. "Respectfully, sir, this is wrong!"
    "We agree! Let's execute him now and be done with it!"

    The water-torture takes several minutes amidst objections of the villagers. Finally, at the end of it all, Uga stares at the villagers, stares at Kyorlin, and waits until he's finished coughing. "And now someone else harms the villagers. A man suffers and Villagers think they can't be stronger, they think what they call suffering is suffering. The two of us know the truth.

    One of the women, her voice quivering with emotion, retorts "Some of have been robbed, had our our sons taken and lost, had our husbands taken and are told 'they don't know suffering.' This man shows a shameful mind that will not be changed!" Others nod their heads. She continues, "This man refuses to accept the suffering of his subjects!" Others cry out in support. Another shrieks, "One who belittles another's pain shows their fear of being the same as others!" Uga shakes his head in disagreement and begins to taunt them, but nowm the crowd surges forward to suppress him. They lash out, and the thirty-or-so peasants strike him, beat him, hit him with farm implements, and Kyorlin, because of his proximity, takes a few hits...but nothing too serious.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4+2)[4] Piercing & (1d4+1)[3] bludgeoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop

    Kyorlin
    STOP! pushes the town folks back.
    If you can't handle this you can leave but I'm not done yet until he admits his guilt. You could have killed him any time but you wanted me to do this and I'm not done, I haven't given up yet why are you? Takes the towel off his face.
    You don't want me to use water fine.grabs a torch off the wall by the hot end, switching ends he use the fire to further deter the crowd.I'll the opposite! chucks the torch between his legs and ignites his crotch. Realizes tne error of this and grabs one of the bickets of water and pours it along his inner thighs and waist line.

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    For a time Donovan remains silent. He'd long hoped to find one willing to embrace the serenity but had never really expected to. Yet here he had found a creature who, having never felt its touch, its resonance, still understood the misery of its absence.

    ...

    "Your mind... Yes...
    but... with new perspective. In truth it counts for little...

    We must find calmer waters.
    "

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    This result can be considered sufficient.

    Before he is surrounded Yhrashnal powers through the water at his top speed until he finally breeches and escapes into the air on wings that cast a shadow far too wide, the satisfaction of his kill the only trophy from this second phase of the hunt.

    He will be back. Later. This corpse will be gone (and even if it remained he would have no use for it) but if he can find the other sharks he will be more than satisfied. Still, that is another day.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP: 34/98 (29 +5 Fast Healing)

    AC: 21
    --
    Current buffs:
    Feed (Barghest HD+2): +2 Str, +2 con, Powerful build
    ~59 minutes remaining
    --
    Swift action: Held in reserve to use Ghostly as Immediate Action if more than two sharks counterattack.
    --
    Swim check: (1d20+26)[41]
    Fullround Action: Withdraw action to leave the water: swim speed of 45 into a fly speed of 70.


    With his pettiness appeased Yhrashnal makes his way back to the boat.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Deep Ocean, West of Kyuden Gotei.

    With an agreement reached and Yrashnal back on board, the three of you make it back Ahab's hermitation in a quarter of the time it took you to go out to sea. It's a smooth return to the soft banks of the landing. "Now, I hope tha two of ya can return this boat to the city, na problem?

    The man, as he's stepping off the boat, looks reluctant to do so. His face twists with the sign of his memories dueling each other for dominance, and as he looks at his land, his face sags with someone whom has endured more sadness than they want to. ...Donovan, where's the peace ya promised me?



    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop

    Many villagers have the decency to look ashamed. Reflecting on what Uga said earlier, the elderly woman who's spoken several times before nods thoughtfully. "The man speaks some truth. We are not used to the lives or the thoughts of a soldier, and we don't know it. But neither does Uga know the life of a peasant."

    Uga glares at her but remains silent.

    "Uga tells the perspective of being a soldier: Those below soldiers must have harsh demands to know that the strong survive. Your eminence," she turns to Kyorlin "Ugasees these actions as necessary. Uga has made the only confession that can be made. Uga says "I have done nothing wrong" with belief and conviction. There is no guilt, only ignorance."

    The soldier's face has softened. "I am not ignorant, but otherwise, agreed. The peasants' way is wrong-- The elderly woman cuts in with an upheld finger, "A belief this village does not share!" The peasants are undisciplined, soft to the ways of violence. The Old Way is different for soldiers.

    The elderly woman shakes her head. "The Old Way is and is not The Way. But the Old Way is never about crushing your allies."

    Uga looks to Kyorlin and sighs. "These villagers believe I brought them great suffering...I only did what I thought would breed more strength. Every life suffers as it lives. I hope I understand this Magistrate's anger. Now I ask, Magistrate...bring death as you see fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal, having returned to the guise of the Ascendant Monk, remains reserved as Donovan induces this mortal to beg for the 'blessing' of undeath. He simply has more important matters to deal with at this moment.

    Introspection on his own nature aside he is still examining the newly acquired Heavenly form and searching for avenues for improvement throughout the full gamut of his abilities and techniques.

    Natural flight matches his physique nicely and magical flight in something with which he is exceptionally familiar; how deeply should he delve into one before reinforcing it with the other? Should he favors the profound or the reliable? Should he layer his study of his options deeply, overlapping endlessly to reach new insights beyond his inheritance, or should that time be spent elsewhere?

    Yhrashnal passively follows along with Donovan's instructions while focusing on these matters, only remaining alert to danger; this is only a shallow issue, after all, and it would truly be an embarrassment to his name if he were distracted to death while choosing his wing color...
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Cold storage, butcher's shop

    Kyorlin
    Alright I will take care of this, I promise he will never bother you again. For everyone's sake I need you all to leave as I prepare myself for this, the less you know of my methods the better as then you won't have to lie.

    As the villagers file out of the cold storage, Kyorlin paces. Once they leave he slams his hands on the table. He reaches it to his haversack and pulls out the kython crystal. Places it on Uga chest, Alright Uga lets continue where we left off removes all his nails by workong the skewers under them. He screams for his death but Kyorlin doesn't stop.

    He only repeats what he has been saying all this time. This causes the kython crystal to jave one facet flicker. Kyorlin picks it up but it doesn't stop flickering.

    Reluctantly he tries to contact Tun.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-05-10 at 10:40 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    It could never be explained.

    Donovan offers a hand to Ahab, leading him out into the sea step by steady step.

    No book, no song, poem, performance, or recounting,
    could hope to capture all-consuming significance.

    It could only be shown.


    "Fear is nettling, captain. Breath, distracting...
    Even the rush of blood past one's ears becomes deafening, in the stillness of the deep. But if you abandon them, all of them, you can find your peace.
    "

    They continue wading, and Donovan speaks again only once the water nears their chins.
    "Exhale."

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Slums

    The torture of Uga takes the rest of the day. The crystal prevents him from losing consciousness and every sound he makes leaves no trace of echo. Instead, his screams and sounds of suffering focus to the crystal. As his energy fades to death, the crystal resonates more and more until, brimming with power at the edge of his demise, the stone emits a pale red light. If Kyorlin puts it close to his ears, he can hear all of Uga's tortured screams, trapped in its structure.

    As Kyorlin leaves, he meets many villagers that still wait for him outside. The elderly woman nods to him. "We are safe from the city watch; they believe he met with the caravan that left for his estate. There will be a few days until they begin to suspect something went wrong. I know what you might do. Walk with me." She leads you out of the slums, past the constructed protective palisades and back into the main city. "When I was young and beautiful, I had an affair with a noble magistrate. He demonstrated that, as a magistrate, he had the power to try and convict people in the name of the Emperor; he was only subject to review by his peers and the emperor himself. But you do not conduct yourself as a typical Magistrate...and yet i'm thankful for taking away his ability to disrupt our lives. Wear your signet ring with great care. It unlocks many doors, but other Magistrates will suspect something different."

    The lady excuses herself and takes her own leave, leaving Kyorlin to himself.


    Ahab's Hermitation

    The old sailor thrashes about as his instinct takes over. He fights Donovan as his body tries desperately to breathe and he inhales under water. As his body fails to gain what it needs he goes limp..and he doesn't come back. He looks as if he were trying to grasp the serenity promised him, but still fell short.

    You search his house. There is little left here but some (freshly) harvested fields, a house empty save for a bed and bags of seed, plants, fertilizing beds, and in his cellar a cobweb-and-dust covered spear. It appears to be crystal, but instead of being weak or brittle it is as strong--or stronger--than steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    After watching the assisted enlightenment of that skilled mortal Yhrashnal has little to do beyond explore this territory and wait for the newly acquired undead being to arise.

    Perhaps the island will be of value as a temporary base; a place where Donovan can raise and train a corp of elite undead to reinforce the militia of these lands. The location is well suited as a home base for undead, or any other creature, attuned to the element of water and becoming undead is surely a significant improvement from being entirely mortal...

    Yhrashnals thoughts and exploration can only distract him for so long though. He is hungry (always always hungry) but the labourers are of little interest to Yhrashnal and the crystal spear found under the skilled fisherman's home is little more than a curiosity; it will take time to determine whether this item is more useful to his compatriots as it is, or as a trade good when dealing with It, or as a quick snack to be consumed and annihilated for the sake of deepening Yhrashnal's physical attunement to magical energies.

    "...How much longer?" He cut their hunting trip short specifically so they could get back to work, after all, so it would not make sense to tarry here for too long. His inherited memories also suggest that some undead take time to rise; the foul energies only fill their bodies with the taste of rot and imperfection after days, months, years, centuries...

    Even a single hour would be far too long to wait here uselessly. At the very least they should return to their work and then come back for the new undead creature later.
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Donovan and Yrashnal, with no greater purpose to stay on the islet, shove off and make their way back to Kyuden Gotei. By the time they reach the docks, it's dusk. Although the fishermen aren't there, a young lad watches their arrival and runs off; soon, one of the fishermen returns, excited and also tired from his trip. He doesn't say anything, just drags the fishing boat to the holding area for all such craft and then leaves. A few guards watch what's happened, but don't make any ruckus.

    Kyuden Gotei - docks
    As the two of you make your way towards the city's center, another watercraft pulls into the dock to depart. This medium-sized ship has a foreign look about it. It's compact and firm, and it's made of a pale, cream-colored wood. The main mast of the ship is rather long, with a wide triangle sail in its front. The other side of its sail looks like an odd wing, and it doesn't even take up the entire space of the mast. There are only three figures about this sloop: one is an old man, energetic and also followed by a monkey. The second is a nobleman, almost as pale-skinned as his boat, with long white hair and blue eyes to boot. His outfit is mostly white lace, substantial only where it might be offensive to humans, all bound in an excellent fur coat. As the outfit flows it leaks the hoar of a much-colder place.

    The third figure is a simple human, broad-shouldered, who follows the commands of the noble-looking one with speed and power. As they dock, the elderly man (and his monkey) leave after giving the human what looks like a small bag that clinks as it lands in the (buff) man's hands. "Did Erus pay for his journey already?"

    "Yes. We're all ready. Have a safe journey."

    There are several guards that walk up to the two of you. One of them has a few srripes on the shoulders of his uniform, and he says, "Halt! If you are foreigners, you must have documents detailing your visit, your purpose, and from what land you're from!

    "What if we're here under request of your superiors?"

    "Which ones?"

    A Kami who wishes us to have passage in this land.

    The guards look at each other as if they're going to tell this story to each other again later. "If that trick worked, we'd have many foreigners in this land that don't belong here. Your papers, please."

    The elderly-looking Oshika remains silent and lets his monkey run circles around his feet. He smiles at it as they wait.


    Kyuden Gotei - Slum entrance
    Kyorlin feels as if there's something tugging at his mind. After all, Tun did not appear as he normally would. He passes by the partially-constructed walls around the slums, and as he passes by a bucket of water (used to clean equipment, it seems), he sees the reflection of neither his real self nor his disguise but rather a silver-eyed being with patchy skin. The pain in his mind builds until he looks back towards the bucket. Climbing out is none other than the reflection he'd seen. The figure looks like a man with a leatherworker's apron and what appears to be stains on his skin. A man who, in this land, would be untouchable, or at least entirely unremarkable...except for his eyes.

    Tun's life force has been removed from this world. Your contract with Tun cannot be fulfilled; however, the one you made with him benefits me as well. He procures all of the crystals made through Specimen's demise from a pouch on his person and then returns them. "Finish it and I will help you regain the power you're due upon its completion."
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tjallen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Looking displeased at this turn of events, Erus looks down at the guard with a frown that screams 'noble trying to deal with uppity peasants': "I will not stand here and be questioned by a commoner, find someone of proper upbringing and I shall deign to meet with them come morning. Now, lead us to a place where we may rest, preferably with a fine assortment of wine, the journey was dreadfully short on the finer things."

    Spoiler: Social roll!
    Show
    Not sure which of the three is most fitting, so just pick between them as fits: (1d20+21)[31]

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    The guard, disgruntled at being looked down upon, gives a respectful bow. "YOur nobility will understand that precautions must be taken by this country to guard against unfortunate threats. There is only one such place in this city with accommodations that will suit your needs... He looks askance at both Yrashnal and Donovan, and asks the two of them, "Ah, Magistrates, we heard of your travels and we're grateful for your return. Would you look after...these two and see to it they make their way to the Dignitary's Quarters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Nov 2015

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyorlin

    Taking the offered crystal(s) Thats too bad, I was looking forward to our next meeting. with a western style bow I am Kyorlin
    Naerth, it is a pleasure to meet your aquetiance, Shall we go get a drink or do you have other desires?

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tjallen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Turning to the two newcomers, Erus turns a beaming smile upon them and sweeps out his arms, making it obvious he doesn't carry any visible weapons: "Ah, Magistrates, someone literate at last! Blessings of the Moon to you, I am Duke Erus."
    As he waits for an answer, he clasps his hands behind his back.

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ~Corvus~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Perched in a tree
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Kyuden Gotei - Slums Entrance

    Orusc looks at Kyorlin with a raised eyebrow and a head that tilts away from him. "I wish I had the time. I do have a carrot for you; finish this task before your Heist--as in, expedite your finding four people however you see fit--and I can make you a Wani's Molt, a belt of great power. It would aid your cause greatly.

    ...and then, once you've completed your hesit, we can share drinks.
    "

    With this Orusc climbs back into the water barrel and disappears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Doxkid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    You can't catch me anyhow

    Default Re: Rokugan In the Shadows - Islands of the Mantis

    Yhrashnal

    Yet another mire of mortal conflict interrupts Yhrashnal's ponderings with the work a shiphand should be doing. Matters of this level may indeed fall within the scope of Yhrashnal's obligations when in his False Swordsman form but right now, as a mere Enlightened Monk in that other form's entourage, his freedoms are far greater. He has no need to bother with this minor problem.

    Even so it would still be best to maintain a at least a trace of propriety though, lest his disguise come under scrutiny and create a situation where he has no choice but to cruelly punish all mortals of this domain. That being must receive this much face from him, at least.

    "I am not much. Not yet. My training is incomplete." Yhrashnal reduces himself to an even lesser form before the eyes of these people; his extra arms collapse into his torso and the third eye on his brow closes leaving not a single seam or blemish. "I will lead you as needed. Come. There is much to do."

    Yhrashnal allows his mind to settle somewhat, probing the area lightly while he prepares himself to undertake a series of numbingly pedestrian tasks; the slaughter of those within the cove is so near, so tantalizing near... <I will deal with this matter. Make preparations for assaulting the cove. If possible, locate the Drow-Fiend.>[Donovan]

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    HP should be full once more (Fast Healing) and Feed benefits have probably worn off by now.
    --
    Fullround action to swap from Open Ajna Monk to normal Monk (Emerald Legionnaire) form.
    --
    Quick scan with Blindsense in this area; he might not see beings hanging around, but Blindsense should at least detect that there are a few extra somethings here and there if there are any.

    Scent/survival to probe the area for oddities: (1d20+9)[10].
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

    Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •