New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Darkest Dusk 1. Twilight.

Thirty Six Days.

That is how long it has been since any of you have seen anything approaching civilization. When you left Augustana the leaves had just begun to flush with red and orange. A warning fire of the cold to come. Winter comes quickly in the shadow of the mountains and the ground is now nearly a foot deep in wet heavy snow. Even if some of you wanted to leave fairly quickly this job is the pits. It's cold, its slow, and there hasn't been a road since almost a week ago.
    The
    caravan master; a stocky man by the name of Rudyard does tell you that Falcon's Hollow shoudn't be more than a few miles away. "with luck, we'll be there by the evening and you'll have your pay." He glances westward with a grim expression. "'Course, luck is a chancy thing."

Luck you see, has been something on everyone's minds recently. At the height of the summer equinox a star had appeared in the sky, two points from where the sun sets. Its steady cold light has been viewed by some as a portent of ill luck. If someone's cat got sprayed by a skunk, if a marriage turned sour, if the laundry just didn't wash out that one stubborn stain. Currently it is all being blamed on the star. Which is ludicrous of course. It has been one thousand odd years since the godfall. One thousand years (give or take) since the power of prophecy was relevant, but the people of Taldor are a superstitious lot.

For you, luck has been a bit of a mixed bag. When the circus rolled into town Valen came with it. Travelling bards, or even the infamous Pathfinders are a dwindling sight so they often draw large crowds. This had been no exception. What was less fortunate was when Lord Jaster Gottheim had come down with a bad case of stomach flu after sampling the roasted boar. He didn't make it through the night.

Even less fortunate was the local crimelord Ulysses Smoke. He didn't last the night either. That tends to happen when you upgrade your glasses with a crossbow bolt. Trust me, Whisper has it on pretty good authority. You can also trust five of the Smokers present at the time of his death. They didn't really get a good look at the girl (moved so fast you could see right through her, swear) but they saw enough to start searching. If Kunrun ever hears about this he's going to be just. so. mad.

And Nori. Well, lucky you! Adventure is right there on your doorstep. Literally. As in you had slept the night on the doorstep of a well to do tavern having spent an unhealthy amount of money on fine cinnamon whiskey the night before and had awoken to the sounds of Rudyard calling for able bodied folk to guard his own on the road. Luckily you were louder than anyone else.

---

There are three wagons, each pulled by a team of two horses. There are five people in the first wagon. Five people in the rear wagon. In the middle wagon are you three, Rudyard, and a grizzly wolfhound. Possibly the laziest and mangiest dog that you've ever seen. Each of the carts is laden with hard tack and furs, honey, and jars of pickles. You haven't had to crack into this supply yet as game has been good on the way north. But as the snows crept in, the deer crept away. The time is four hours past noon. If you don't find more you may have to start using the stock meant for sale at Falcon's Hollow which will cut into the profits that Rudyard makes. Profits that may end up paying you.

It will be dusk soon.

It'll probably be a dark one.
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Darkest Dusk 1. Twilight.

After a month on the road, Valen is downright rancid. He is as unwashed as any of the travelers; any elven advantage in the smells department has long since been worn down. But on top of that, he has an acrid, chemical smell about him. When he sleeps, it's just the worst, and his clothes are covered in weird stains after the long journey.

His disposition is only marginally more pleasant than his smell.
    Semper ludens.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Waif

The girl sits in the corner of the wagon. She has sat in the same spot every day of the thirty-six that they have spent on the road since leaving Almas, impossibly still. When she settles into place each morning, she all but turns into a statue. Dark leathers are carefully wrapped underneath a good grey cloak, and before her lies a wrapped up, irregularly shaped bundle. Whatever it is beneath the cloth, it looks far too big for a girl of her size to be carrying about. The girl herself is not much to look at, too pale and too small to be much of anything. Strands of mousy brown hair fall out from under her hood, framing a face with a weak jaw and sallow skin.

The only movement that Whisper undertakes with any regularity so as to be noteworthy is with her eyes. Every half a minute or so, the girl glances out at the road, at the passing wilderness, at any of the other travelers. Anyone watching her for a length of time will notice that there is a specific pattern to her observation: she is surveying for threats, scanning her surroundings and anyone nearby that might be a threat to her. Watery grey irises flit from person to person, looking at their gait, their posture, and for any weapons (hidden or otherwise).

She shivers several times in the cold air, clearly not used to these temperatures. Her clothes seem to be more suited to a temperate - or at least not wintry - climate. As the long afternoon shadows cross her face, she glances back at Rudyard and his dog, before settling on Valen. If she notices the smell she doesn't comment on it, but for the first time since undertaking this expedition, the girl has moved to the opposite corner... as far away from the chemist as physically possible in this enclosed space.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Happy New Year! First post by me is to say that you can pretty much always assume that Whisper is making Perception checks (unless we're in combat). This was a fun intro to write, I'm looking forward to the game.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The chemist

"Tonight? Rudyard, you beautiful bear of a man, I would kiss you, but I fear my ass is completely frozen to this uncomfortable wooden plank".
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #5

"You kiss me and I feed you to my dog." Rudyard grumbles.

The hound does not look impressed by this idea and hides its muzzle under its paws with a soft whimper. The cart gives a whimpering thump of its own as it crosses over a small hidden ditch. Then smooths considerably. There must be a path of some sort underneath all this snow. That's a good sign.

The wind whimpers through the trees as well, carrying the vicious bite of mountain air. That's not a good sign.
    All Hail Fun!
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The Warrior

Nori was the the most chipper of the three additional travelers of the caravan, though that is not saying a lot. In the beginning, Nori was eager for the trip, and could be seen chatting with the others as much as they were willing. But thirty six days is a long time to be on the road. As much as Nori might love travelling the world, she appreciated the comforts of home just as much. The woods were not a particularly scenic place to travel, and the snow and cold started to sap the Ifrit's spirits. She maintains her chipper attitude, but the most would notice that it's become considerably artificial.

She sits on the edge of the middle cart, pulling her fiery red hair into a braid: it was damp from a recent snow, but chances are it would be that way for a while thanks to the mediocre weather. She pulls a think wool coat more closely around herself as the winter wind blows through the trees. She silently curses the cold: it's clear the coat is only doing so much.

"Thank the gods. Don't confuse luck for hope: there's nothing wrong with keeping hope alive. We'll be there soon."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-01-01 at 11:42 PM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Rudyard grunts an affirmation. The cart continues to trundle on for a few minutes. The woods seem to close in once again.

There's something that is beginning to bother Whisper. The silence of the wilderness can be eerie at times but right now it is especially poignant. The squirrels have stopped chattering, and what few birds are still present have stopped chirping as well.

The wolfhound seems to agree, he lifts his head from beneath his paws and stares off the cart to the left and lets loose a soft growl.
    All Hail Fun!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Almost at the same time as the hound, Whisper perks up. Her general wariness has evolved into full-blown worry, and the girl looks at all of the other occupants in the wagon before moving to grab the bundle in front of her with both hands. Pulling at the edges of the cloth, the girl reveals the outline of a monstrous looking crossbow. The weapon is immaculately made - all dark wood and well-oiled hinges - and is nearly as large as its wielder. It should clearly be worth a small fortune, and has no business being carried around by someone who looks no older than seventeen.

Mechanically and with great diligence, the girl takes a bolt from underneath her cloak and inserts it into the weapon's chamber. She seems to be taking great care not to point it anywhere near anyone else in the wagon with her, although she takes a second to calibrate the sights on the crossbow, eyes flitting back out to the wilderness around her and then back to the other occupants. The message of imminent danger is quite clear.

Show
    If possible, I would like to make a Perception check here.

Perception: (1d20+7)[13]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-01-02 at 02:44 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The sounds of the wolfhound growling and Whisper loading a vicious crossbow pulls Nori out of her thoughts. She steps off the edge of the cart and takes a few steps to the side, following their gaze. A subtle affect takes over as her eyes take on a shimmering glow, as if a fire rages behind them.

"What do you see out there? A stray from Falcon's Hollow, maybe?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Enhanced Diplomacy

Would Whisper have shared a name with us? Nori would use whatever name she gave, but based on Whisper's disposition so far I could see her never giving a name out.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Despite his protestations earlier, Valen Bitterleaf slides his frozen ass right off the plank and hops off the wagon as well. He grabs his crossbow on the way out. "Girl, size isn't everything, you know", he quips to Whisper over his shoulder, but he doesn't turn around to see any reply. He holds the worn, weirdly stained crossbow lazily at his side while he stretches and groans and scans the treeline. His other hand fishes a bottle out of a cloak pocket.

The wind suddenly carries the same chemical stink as Valen's bedroll.
    Show
    Move action: Draw weapon, move a bit. Standard:Using my Toxicant ability to secrete a coating of contact poison. Swift: Enter Stance of Piercing Sprays.
    Draw an acid flask if there's time.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Whisper simply shakes her head, though whether at Nori's question or Valen's comment isn't entirely clear. Not seeing anything right away, the girl takes a deep breath and settles her miniature ballista on the edge of the wagon, end pointing out at the treeline away from the others.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #12

Perhaps it is fate. Perhaps it is not

But the very moment that Whisper sets her crossbow on the edge of the cart the sun is blanketed by clouds. In that momentary half light the snow before the cart ripples uncomfortably but no threats present themselves to the girl's eyes.

The flurry of activity on the cart catches the attention of the other two vehicles which grind to a halt. The driver of the lead cart, a stocky dwarf named Thule trudges through the snow hefting a club. "What's got the mutt all riled up boss?"

Rudyard hocks some spit into the nearby snowbank. "Bah! It's nothing, get the carts moving!" Thule grunts and turns back towards the lead cart. He gets so far as three steps before he stumbles with a curse.

For a moment it seems the snow itself is moving. But then with a chittering screech your foes reveal themselves.

Rats.

Hundreds of them

Thule goes down swinging left and right with a stout oaken club but there's so many that its like trying to bat the contents of a broken amphora of wine. He can't help but hit, but it isn't doing much either way. Screams break out in earnest as the tide of vermin begin to scale the carts
    Spoiler
    Show

There are two swarms of rats, one on each of the front two wagons. Their stealth is high enough that you weren't able to see them approach under the snow (Perception DC 20)

The party is surprised, you have your attention on the tree line and not on the snowbank right beside the cart.

Roll initiative.
    All Hail Fun!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Nori wastes no time in acting as the swarm reveals itself. Rats! Rats everywhere! She runs towards Thule, sparks snapping around her hands and feet. Her sweeping kick is more of a punt than anything else, as she swings a red-hot leg and sends a couple of rats flying through the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge attack on the rat swarm that's attacking Thule! Unless I'm close enough that I can't charge, in which case I'll 5-foot-step and full attack.
    Since unarmed strike is bludgeoning damage, it should deal full damage.

Spoiler: Charge
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[5]

Spoiler: Full Attack, if possible
    Show
    Attack 1 - (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[8]

Flurry of Blows - (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[4]

If any of the attacks hit it activates scorpion style, which means fortitude save DC 15 or have it's speed reduced to 5 feet for 4 rounds. Although I highly doubt that affects swarms but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-01-03 at 09:48 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Lithe as she is, hopping off a cart doesn't give quite the self propelled motion of a charge that Nori would like. But she still manages to give a very very solid punt to a rat the size of her forearm. Sweeping it off its feet and carving a furrow through the pack.

Then the swarms surge forward, up the sides of the carts. Within moments both carts are swamped with rats. The screams from the fore and aft cart are growing louder.
    All Hail Fun!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sighing nearly inaudibly to herself, Whisper takes aim. To a casual observer, she might even seem distracted or perhaps irritated by the sounds of the screaming. Of course, said observer would not be aware of the girl's past, that she grew up in a tangled urban slum where rats like this were actually quite common. Furthermore, they could not know that Whisper used to eat such creatures, when the months were lean enough.

Nevertheless, such a person would definitely see the would-be-assassin release a single bolt from her gigantic crossbow, already reloading with expert skill before she has even had time to see whether or not it hit its mark.

Spoiler: Round 1 Actions
    Show
    Whisper is going to target the closer of the two swarms, attacking as a standard action and then reloading for her move. If any of them are within 30 ft then PBS applies, in which case add +1 to both the attack and damage rolls.

Attack (vs. Swarm): (1d20+6)[23] for (2d8)[10] damage (crit confirm: (1d20+6)[14])

Spoiler: Whisper, Round 1
    Show
    Whisper
    Female Neutral Human Marksman (Shroud) // Gunslinger (Bolt Ace), Level 1, Init 4, HP 12/12, Speed 30 ft
    AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 3, Ref 6, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1, Power Points 2/2
    Masterwork Great Crossbow +6 (2d8, 18-20x2)
    Dagger +2 (1d4+1, 19-20x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 7
    Condition None
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-01-03 at 12:23 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The Chemist

Valen sighs in annoyance. Then he lifts the crossbow, licks the notched bolt, braces it against his other forearm, and fires at the same swarm as the waif. He hits the side of the cart, and only a single curious rat dies as it investigates the bolt.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    swift action to poison the bolt. Attack: (1d20+3)[9]; if it counts as "firing into melee", I use Threading the Needle to cancel out the penalty. Damage (1d8)[4] Piercing + (1d6)[6] Acid + fort save DC 15 vs the contact poison or take 5 damage.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2019-01-04 at 12:55 AM.
    Semper ludens.

17. - Top - End - #17

The rat swarm continues to well...swarm. But the swarm in your cart in particular is looking greatly reduced. With an abandon that is beyond sense they tear into the sundries in the cart. Glass crunches and the bitter tang of vinegar fills the air. That must have been the pickles...
    Spoiler
    Show

Despite being engulfed, the rats are not attacking you. But there's still enough that the cart is going to be considered difficult terrain as it is hard to keep your footing on top of the roiling mass of flesh.
    Also, sadly the swarm cannot be critically hit. It is after all, a swarm. Good rolls though.
    All Hail Fun!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Hey, stop eating our profits!" Nori resumes kicking and crushing rats beneath her feet with surprising haste as sparks fly around her feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of Blows Kicking!

Attack 1 - (1d20+4)[7]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[8]

Attack 1 - (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[4]

Edit: yeesh...
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-01-04 at 09:11 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Within seconds, Whisper has refitted her ballista with another piece of ammunition and let it fly at the rats before her.

Spoiler: Round 2 Actions
    Show
    New round, same as the old round. Whisper is going to shoot at the same swarm she targeted last time. I am assuming given the last post that the swarm is within 30 feet, so I am adding the +1 from PBS.

Attack (vs Swarm): (1d20+7)[22] for (2d8+1)[7] damage (crit confirm: (1d20+7)[21]

Spoiler: Whisper, Round 2
    Show
    Whisper
    Female Neutral Human Marksman (Shroud) // Gunslinger (Bolt Ace), Level 1, Init 4, HP 12/12, Speed 30 ft
    AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 3, Ref 6, Will 6, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1, Power Points 2/2
    Condition None
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-01-04 at 03:21 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

The Chemist

"Okay, this is weird", Valen says, as he licks another crossbow bolt before notching it and firing it into the swarm.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    swift action to poison the bolt. Attack: (1d20+3)[9] Damage (1d8)[5] Piercing + (1d6)[1] Acid + fort save DC 15 vs the contact poison or take 5 damage.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #21

In a flurry of punches, kicks (and crossbow bolts) the swarm surrounding the middle cart dissipates, some running back into the woods with their jaws or claws filled with nuts and dried fruit. The cart is a mess, the little fiends chewed through almost two thirds of the sundry within a matter of seconds. A few of them even managed to chew their way through the cart itself. The lead cart is still being assailed by the furry monstrosities and screams ring from all directions.

Thule is laying about himself with his club battering any rat not quick enough to escape his fury. Rudyard is hollering like an angry umpire.

The dog sits on the lip of the cart surrounded by broken glass, rat bodies and blood.

It looks more or less traumatized.
    All Hail Fun!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Seeing that the first hoard of rats has started to disperse, Nori wastes no time running over to the second, punching and pulling rats off the cart and others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[5]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"There is really no art to this, is there?" Valen complains, as he looses his third bolt.

(1d20+3)[15], damage (1d8)[4] piercing, (1d6)[6] acid.
    Semper ludens.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

From somewhere behind Valen, five words are uttered. They aren't really intended to be heard by anyone but a girl called Whisper, drowned out as they are by the sound of her readying yet another bolt. This time, she swivels to target the other vermin infestation.

"To kill is an art."

Spoiler: Round 3 Actions
    Show
    Pew pew!

Attack (vs Swarm): (1d20+7)[16] for (2d8+1)[14] damage (crit confirm: (1d20+7)[10])

Spoiler: Whisper, Round 3
    Show
    Whisper
    Condition None
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #25

The carts are not truly close enough that you can climb off them then climb back on then off again and make it to another cart in the space of one turn. But I suppose the narrator is somewhat unreliable because he didn’t specify how close they were to each other. Thus your actions do happen six seconds later than expected. Valet and Nori’s attacks fall on the rampaging horde of rats with all the power and fury of a teddy bear on a sleeping child. Whisper’s bolt does strike true but it’s a foregone conclusion.

The rats simply don’t resist their own demolition and focus on chewing out the supplies and foodstuffs on the cart with a single mindedness that defies description before the surviving few bolt for the edges of the woods. The lead cart is so chewed and raked that it appears structurally unsound.

As you gather in this wreckage, a single scream of fear, in the high purity of a child’s clarion echoes from the cart to the rear.

Which for once will be described as eighty feet behind the lead cart. Perhaps that is important. Perhaps the narrator is simply being unreliable again.
    All Hail Fun!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Oh no... no no no.

Nori's relief of sending the rats scurrying is shortlived as the child's cry cuts through the twilight. She wastes no time in sprinting the definitely eighty feet to the cart that the screams came from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking the run action to get to the cart with the screaming child. I can't remember if this is difficult terrain or not, but Nori will get as close as she can in one turn in the event she can't get all the way there.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Valen watches Nori sprint by. "Yes, good...children are unpredictable and touchy-clingy, and it wouldn't do to be the first to round the corner and cause an accidental tragedy...we're not out of the woods yet...". He seems to be muttering mostly to himself. Nevertheless, he hustles in the direction of the scream.
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #28

As Valen and Nori hustle towards the rearmost cart dead rats and snow crunch under their feet. It is not dangerous terrain, but it is mostly undriven snow so it is slow going. Unlike the others there is a cover over this wagon to protect the people travelling within from the elements. Made of a heavy burlap it is impossible to see inside from this angle. One would have to approach from the rear entrance.

A high pitched voice rings out. "Oh gods no! Stay away!"
    All Hail Fun!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Valen falls a litte farther behind Nori, as he picks up some snow and scrubs his hands and forearms.
    Semper ludens.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Whisper does not approach along with the others. Instead, the pale girl remains where she is in the middle cart, her crossbow primed and ready should she see any other rats poke their faces out from anywhere in her line of sight. She seems relatively at ease with this whole escape, although the only real way to tell is the subtle lack of tension in her shoulders.

Anyone standing close - too close - to the sniper might also see that her eyes reflect neither joy nor sorrow at the events that have just transpired. Instead, they’re... quietly satisfied.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.