New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    Well, there's Cerebremancer.
    Cool, remind me again in about 10 to 18 years.
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

For as long as I've been pondering this you think I'd have dropped by one of these threads. Oh well, might as well put an entry for 'u' onto that spreadsheet by participating.

Last I checked I wind up being a ranger who cross classed into sorcerer IRL; sans the spells anyway.
    If I were dropped into fantasyland with that I'd start retraining into artificer asap, using the ranger to survive.

With the setup for this thread? Hmm. My IRL Con and Wis are great, but my xp would be poorly. My Int isnt bad but my flaw(s) mess with its usefulness. My IRL wbl is way off too.

I'm layering Artificer over my IRL abilities. Stats applied however the artificer guide says to for an uber crafter.

Also researching Ravenloft devices/PF technology/Gnome Artificer devices for non-magic magic effects. We'll assume it's a high-ish Knowledge check to learn/know about them.

I'm rubbish with builds, and by extension build stubs. So, my build will just follow the best artificer guide advice excepting that I'll want to build Constructs as soon as possible.

Getting to a Dedicated Wright Homunculus is a must. As is Spell Storing Infusion. Craft Metalworking is something I'm learning about IRL, as is Craft Carpentry to rebuild a derelict wood frame home.

Splat and other-campaign-setting access is a must. That's where I have fun. Taking disparate elements from many worlds and fusing them together for shenanigans and profit.
    If necessary I do know how to campaign setting hop canonically. Will require access to the plane of shadow at the very least.

I'm a bit unclear as to what level I'll be getting into these threads so late.
    Too bad I'm not higher level with access to higher level curative magics. I'm posting this from a waiting room, my spouse is awaiting their turn for a CAT scan. Rebuilding her childhood home with magic would be neat. Rebuilding her health would be best.

EDIT: Pathfinder 'price by CR' Construct building rules or nothing. No way Imma fight with the random crapshow that is 'traditional' Construct pricing.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-01-14 at 03:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Hey now I go with my 3rd Level in Psion - Telepath... power is rising!

The work you put in that Googlesheet is great btw!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Oh yes, and now that I've got 2nd level Sor/Wiz spells available via Spirit Guide Oracle (Lore Spirit: Arcane Enlightenment) to disguise myself better, it's time to clean out the List of Prizes for Evidence of the Paranormal, under multiple identities.
    As to what to do with all the money? Crafting! I've got Craft Wondrous Item, and can now largely go to town (so to speak). Sleeves of Many Garmets, a Greater Hat of Disguise, and money is no longer hard to come by. Which then means I can do more crafting, very easily.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Will alignments be tracked on the table?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Woo hoo! One more level of Human paragon for me!

Next year will be mystic ranger, then I`m gonna go full bore on Chameleon. Gotta get those stats up somehow. And this way I even get decent casting too!

Ooof. I`m only the 6th Lv.4 person so far. I do hope a few more wizards show up. I`mma need to start borrowing spellbooks soon.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2019-01-24 at 11:10 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Ooof. I`m only the 6th Lv.4 person so far. I do hope a few more wizards show up. I`mma need to start borrowing spellbooks soon.
    Chameleon's Divine focus lets you nab spells from ANY divine list. There are a lot of obscure divine spell lists, plus domains. You barely need a spellbook. You might find you have trouble finding good fill after you finish Chameleon, though.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-01-24 at 04:39 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

By the way, shouldn't everyone with a Charm sla/spell/power 3 years ago already have behind-the-scene control of at least a country or two by now?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    By the way, shouldn't everyone with a Charm sla/spell/power 3 years ago already have behind-the-scene control of at least a country or two by now?
    Charm makes someone your best friend. Does your best friend control your life? Opposed Cha checks will only get you so far and every unreasonable demand will be remembered. Viewing things in the most favorable light is something that can only be done so long as there is a favorable light to your requests and actions.

Remember too that supernatural enchantment is something that gets noticed. The movers and shakers that you would need to get close to are some of the most scrutinized people on the planet. That is a lot of Sense Motive checks. Your influence will get noticed and steps will be taken to counter it (one way or another). I'm not saying that this sort of thing cannot be done, or that Charm Person and the like wouldn't be a massive advantage in that arena. I'm just saying that it would require participating in a very high stakes game that I don't think anyone on this board is properly equipped for, and at this low level don't have enough supernatural power to compensate for their shortcomings.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Charm makes someone your best friend. Does your best friend control your life? Opposed Cha checks will only get you so far and every unreasonable demand will be remembered. Viewing things in the most favorable light is something that can only be done so long as there is a favorable light to your requests and actions.

Remember too that supernatural enchantment is something that gets noticed. The movers and shakers that you would need to get close to are some of the most scrutinized people on the planet. That is a lot of Sense Motive checks. Your influence will get noticed and steps will be taken to counter it (one way or another). I'm not saying that this sort of thing cannot be done, or that Charm Person and the like wouldn't be a massive advantage in that arena. I'm just saying that it would require participating in a very high stakes game that I don't think anyone on this board is properly equipped for, and at this low level don't have enough supernatural power to compensate for their shortcomings.
    Thing is, you don't want to go straight to the movers or shakers right away unless you want a stupid high risk high reward strategy. You work your way through various circles, heck even start from your own, mostly using ranks in social skills, supplemented strongly by your charm powers to automatically turn people friendly and expand your network of connections. Heck, working your way through professional scrutinizers first (or at the same time as the outer circles) should also be a goal.

Socially skilled players would be able to Bluff their way, and a Diplomacy result of 20 turns Friendly to Helpful (i.e. willing to take risks to help you). Making enough Helpful connections is somewhat of a long game, yes, but it's already been three years, and, unlike in RL, D&D can make that faster by having ways to turn Unfriendly subjects to Friendly.

Also I expect people who are yet to participate in this thread to have 0 ranks in Sense Motive, and only have 1 human racial HD, if at all, as that would line up with Troacctid's yearly rules. Opposing an unranked Sense Motive should be easy work for early social players.

In my situation, unlike most other entries, psionics is about one of the most unnoticeable kind of "magic" in that there's no somatic or verbal cue. Considering the need for Detect Magic to notice Charm effects, it's very unlikely that my hour/level power will get noticed before its gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Thing is, you don't want to go straight to the movers or shakers right away unless you want a stupid high risk high reward strategy. You work your way through various circles, heck even start from your own, mostly using ranks in social skills, supplemented strongly by your charm powers to automatically turn people friendly and expand your network of connections. Heck, working your way through professional scrutinizers first (or at the same time as the outer circles) should also be a goal.

Socially skilled players would be able to Bluff their way, and a Diplomacy result of 20 turns Friendly to Helpful (i.e. willing to take risks to help you). Making enough Helpful connections is somewhat of a long game, yes, but it's already been three years, and, unlike in RL, D&D can make that faster by having ways to turn Unfriendly subjects to Friendly.

Also I expect people who are yet to participate in this thread to have 0 ranks in Sense Motive, and only have 1 human racial HD, if at all, as that would line up with Troacctid's yearly rules. Opposing an unranked Sense Motive should be easy work for early social players.

In my situation, unlike most other entries, psionics is about one of the most unnoticeable kind of "magic" in that there's no somatic or verbal cue. Considering the need for Detect Magic to notice Charm effects, it's very unlikely that my hour/level power will get noticed before its gone.
    Very much this. A good, safe use of Charm or its equivalent would be to start moving upwards in your current workplace, by endearing yourself to colleagues and supervisors and letting their positive attitude color their employee reviews. Then use that as a leaping-off point to move into a larger, more significant workplace - again, endearing yourself to interviewers to ensure highly positive interviews. Note that even with positive interviews, you're not guaranteed a place in your new office - that's why you worked your way (at high speeds) up the chain in your old office first, to have something to put on the resume.

Once you're in the new office, you work up the chain the same way. It will still take a few years - even expedited, you aren't just working around people, you're working around rules and processes specifically designed to block nepotism. Which means you can't just rely on friendship to move you up the chain; you've got to let friendship make your work look better than it is. Your chances improve if you're in a client-facing position, where your Charm abilities can influence not only how your colleagues feel, but how your work sells.

After a few years, you should have moved up the chain again, in a management position. Management positions are ideal, because being "friends" with your subordinates (read: more Charm) also means being better able to motivate them, and better able to liaise between them and your own supervisors - all of which makes you look amazing. Great thing about management is that you're not necessarily being judged by your ability to produce work, but by your ability to get others to produce work.

Your rise through management should be relatively expedient, all things considered, and it won't be long before you're rubbing elbows with upper management. And this is your golden opportunity. In larger corporate environments - especially multinational ones - the ability to move around in senior management is high. Meaning that opportunities arise and people will think of you, quickly. Now, yes, there will be a focus on results, but with your abilities, you can delegate and ensure things get done, and as long as you do that, you have money, power, and most importantly, name recognition.

Name recognition gets you places. It lets you represent the company when dealing with other, more powerful companies. It lets you represent the company when dealing with governments and officials. And when you meet these people, they too will find you very Charming. You'll be able to transfer to new corporate offices with generous signing bonuses. You'll become close, personal friends with people in power, who can introduce you to even more people in power. You'll probably be featured in magazine articles about success.

It doesn't happen overnight. If well executed, it should take the better part of a decade. But unless you join a political movement at the ground floor - which is dangerous, because staying with them for a long time will make what you do more obvious - becoming an economic name is one of the best ways to secure audiences with political names. And that takes time. On the plus side, though, it is very literally rewarding - maybe you don't even want political power after you've gotten a solid taste of megabucks.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Bleh. Too much work.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Charm + Hypnotism should get people up to fanatic. At that point you're cruising. you could also diplomance, which avoid the awkwardness of people making their will saves.

Also, with regards to spellbooks, if you absopositively have to, you can research existing spells, which should let you add them to your spellbook. You know the research will succeed, because it already did. It's a lot of time and money, but it could be worth it for certain things. I will point out the the DMG says nothing about spell lists, i.e. if you research a new spell, who can cast it? Is it only your list? Is it automatically given a list which may or may not be your list? Could you research a spell from another list and add it to your list? And that doesn't even get into whether or not Warlocks can research new invocations (they count as spellcasters).

Also, some classes automatically know all the spells on their list. Does that mean that they actually know them, though? That is to say, if I'm a Warmage, but I never bothered to read the Warmage spell list, do I still know which spells I can cast? If so, were somebody to research a new Warmage spell, would all Warmages automatically know it?

Sadly, Artificers aren't spellcasters, so they can't research new spells, and there are no rules for researching infusions.

14. - Top - End - #224

SamuraiGuy

Oh deities, what to take. also just want to jump on now!
    PF 3rd party:
    I'm going Aegis. Some defensive measures now, and later I can try to find one of the psions and team up with them.
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1813738
    I'm going with a beguiler for now.
    Standard PF: I think I will take a level of Investigator? I like skills.
    Also, do we get traits?
    Last edited by JMS; 2019-01-25 at 02:24 PM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    It doesn't happen overnight. If well executed, it should take the better part of a decade. But unless you join a political movement at the ground floor - which is dangerous, because staying with them for a long time will make what you do more obvious - becoming an economic name is one of the best ways to secure audiences with political names. And that takes time. On the plus side, though, it is very literally rewarding - maybe you don't even want political power after you've gotten a solid taste of megabucks.
    And becoming an economic name doesn't require charms or enchantments. Divinations are where it's at. You are someone who can reliably predict the stock market. There's no need to start at the ground floor when you can buy a controlling share.

Now, charms may be useful for when the SEC comes knocking.

16. - Top - End - #226

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    And becoming an economic name doesn't require charms or enchantments. Divinations are where it's at. You are someone who can reliably predict the stock market. There's no need to start at the ground floor when you can buy a controlling share.

Now, charms may be useful for when the SEC comes knocking.
    I can't help but wonder what would happen if you proved to the SEC that your investment strategy was to cast Augury over and over again. It's like being a telepath at a poker game; it should be illegal, but nobody bothered to pass a law against it (AFAIK).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    I can't help but wonder what would happen if you proved to the SEC that your investment strategy was to cast Augury over and over again. It's like being a telepath at a poker game; it should be illegal, but nobody bothered to pass a law against it (AFAIK).
    I think you'd suddenly be in the employ of an intelligence agency. Whether you wanted to be or not.

18. - Top - End - #228

MindFlayer

I think you'd suddenly be in the employ of an intelligence agency. Whether you wanted to be or not.
    Unless you charm or diplomance them into not, or dealing with it until you can use stronger coercive methods to make them let you go and forget you ever existed.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Drysdan View Post
    Unless you charm or diplomance them into not, or dealing with it until you can use stronger coercive methods to make them let you go and forget you ever existed.
    Seems like more trouble than its worth.

20. - Top - End - #230

MindFlayer

Seems like more trouble than its worth.
    The using of Augury as an investment? Yeah, it would be. But getting out of the employ (and knowledge) of said agencies, well....

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Thing is, you don't want to go straight to the movers or shakers right away unless you want a stupid high risk high reward strategy.
    And that is exactly my point. Charming your supervisor for your yearly review at S-Mart can cause minimal fallout, and is a far cry from what I was actually responding to, this...
    The idea that the application D&D power in the real world will somehow mirror what is seen in a theoretical optimization white room could be a fatal mistake in this kind of scenario.

While you don't have Verbal or Somatic components, you do have Mental ones (for Empathic Connection anyway) and having a "chime" go off for everyone in 15' is an oddity that will get noticed (why is Jeff sometimes my best friend, but only after I hear that sound?). Remember, this doesn't alter memories or lower intelligence in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Very much this. A good, safe use of Charm or its equivalent would be to start moving upwards in your current workplace...

... Your chances improve if you're in a client-facing position, where your Charm abilities can influence not only how your colleagues feel, but how your work sells.
    I think that this is where Charm-type abilities will have the most impact. A customer/client who can be manipulated within an hour or so and then forgotten about will provide you with the best results. Even so, the results probably won't be as great as you might think. I used to work with a buddy who was an almost supernaturally skilled salesman. The number of times that people returned product the next day (we can't afford all of this, but that guy you have back there is a really good salesman) was not insignificant.

... by endearing yourself to colleagues and supervisors and letting their positive attitude color their employee reviews...
    In this situation the application of Charm would be far more risky, and far less successful in the long term. Long term is what really matters here. Directly overt, high-intensity, short-term, emotional manipulation is something that, if used in the real world, will have unintended consequences that aren't normally seen in a game world. Making someone want to help you can be dangerous when the power runs out and they no longer want to help, yet still have power over you. Promotions aren't made solely based on a performance review, and often have to be justified to others you may never have met.

Diplomacy is a more subtle option but has many of the same problems (a consequence of it being a game mechanic). Pathfinder Diplomacy only lasts a few hours (requiring the Unchained skill unlock to make that days/weeks at high enough level), can only raise attitudes by 1, can only be attempted once per day, and can decrease their attitude if you fail the check by 5 or more (something that probably will happen especially at the lower levels). It does offer some good options in the realm of request making that can be applied in a larger range of situations so there are some advantages to this edition.

Even if you are going with the more broken 3.5 version of Diplomacy getting someone to be Helpful is a problematically high DC unless the target is already Friendly, and retries are only optional (I wouldn't count ou our reality being an overly permissive DM). Using Charm effects to get that head start just compounds some issues and may actually limit potential effectiveness. Succeeding on a Diplomacy check to make an Unfriendly person Helpful does what it says in the tin (but is DC 40). Charming an Unfriendly person makes them Friendly (a two step improvement), which makes it easier to diplomance to Helpful (a one step improvement at DC 20). Once the Charm wears off you are only left with the one step improvement from Diplomacy making your target Indifferent, and you may not be able to influence it further (retry is purely optional, remember? And you are not the one who gets to make that decision).

Note that I'm not saying that emotional manipulation through supernatural means can't work or doesn't have its place, just that it has additional complications in the real wold that have to be compensated for, and solely applying traditional game logic and/or Min/Maxing most likely won't be enough. Remember, this type of effect was designed to solve short-term problems (like getting past the look-out at the thieves guild, or getting the 'friends and family' discount at the alchemist shop), not long-term social engineering.

Where could Charm effects be most useful?
    Management positions are ideal, because being "friends" with your subordinates (read: more Charm) also means being better able to motivate them, and better able to liaise between them and your own supervisors - all of which makes you look amazing. Great thing about management is that you're not necessarily being judged by your ability to produce work, but by your ability to get others to produce work.
    I think that this is the best bet. Being able to 'motivate' those beneath you without the expectation of continued emotional attachment (even when employees have the utmost loyalty and respect for their boss they don't actually expect the trappings of friendship) can be a massive boon. Mass Charm can make those team meetings at the beginning of the day extremely productive. Even if your subordinates develop some lingering resentment over how much you get out of them and how little of that credit goes to them they don't have the power to actually do anything about it.

Another effective application of this sort of thing would be as a cult leader. Here massive emotional shifts can actually be the entire point, and a direct form of 'proof' that your 'teachings' are valid as your blessing (Verbal/Somatic components) lets them feel love for the universe (through you, the one true conduit of the universe/insert woo/blah-blah/etc.). In this kind of situation the 'bugs' inherent to supernatural manipulation now become an intrinsic feature.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

While you don't have Verbal or Somatic components, you do have Mental ones (for Empathic Connection anyway) and having a "chime" go off for everyone in 15' is an oddity that will get noticed (why is Jeff sometimes my best friend, but only after I hear that sound?). Remember, this doesn't alter memories or lower intelligence in any way.
    It's not like there is any sort of ubiquitous device people carry around that periodically emits beeps and chimes for someone to assume to be the source of the mystery sound.
    Another effective application of this sort of thing would be as a cult leader.
    Cults--and their leaders--do not have very good survival track records with established authorities.

Although there is a major problem with charms: range. You can't influence someone via a call, text, or email, and that's going to severely limit your effectiveness.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

It's not like there is any sort of ubiquitous device people carry around that periodically emits beeps and chimes for someone to assume to be the source of the mystery sound.
    People are extremely good at determining the sources of sounds. When a sounds source seems to bypass the ears entirely and sound directly into ones mind then that is far more noticeable. Like I said, I'm not counting on our reality to be an overly permissive DM. Making plans (or worse yet, taking actions) based on the assumption that a seeming ambiguity in the rules will somehow come out in your favor is a very dangerous path indeed.

Cults--and their leaders--do not have very good survival track records with established authorities.
    Can't really argue with that. Though I can't help but wonder how much of that is due to the excesses committed to compensate for a lack of any real power or insight. Much of that would change when promises of supernatural aid are fulfilled, when seemingly nonsensical demands have tangible (though perhaps still seemingly nonsensical) results.

Although there is a major problem with charms: range. You can't influence someone via a call, text, or email, and that's going to severely limit your effectiveness.
    That's the problem with using a short-term emotionally manipulative problem solver for long-term social engineering.

Again, not saying that such things can't/shouldn't be used, just that there are additional considerations that will need to be factored in. This scenario is very far from the traditional hand-waved claim that a spell will fix it. In many cases that may be true. In some it won't. In most, I think, it will only be half true, and that is where things will get most interesting and most dangerous for us.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

People are extremely good at determining the sources of sounds.
    The annoy-a-tron says otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Time to pile my third level of summoner (morphic savant archetype).

Time to gain my first benefit from the variant multiclassing rules. A sorcerer bloodline (arcane) class feature. I finally have a familiar. I will go with my favorite type of familiar. A fox familiar with the figment and sage archetypes.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Insider trading only needs to be based on privileged information. It doesn't matter how you got it, just that it is not available to folks in general. Divination and such may not qualify. It would be a weird trial, though.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice I am 4th level now.

*laughs maniacally when homunculi just became available*

Okay, I am getting some homunculi, mostly because my "secret" base is a good place to build stuff there but I am only able to use it on weekends and stuff.

The homunculi are going to be working on two directions.

They are going to grow assorted vegetable aliments to then turn them into food (a trap of guidance of the avatar is going to be keeping the checks consistently high). They are also going to be crafting some stuff (assorted necessary items for the base, jewelry for trade) from the iron and stone (from the wall traps) and we are going to get some on the market, to trade for stuff that can't be generated with magic yet.

Then when I have some homunculi to get my back I am going to try an experiment (arming the critters with self made spears) I am going to carve a magic circle against good, a dimensional anchor, and then I am going to lesser planar bind an elysian thrush. Yes, an elysian thrush is a CR 1/4 bird that cannot add much value. But if I can get one called, it is clear that other planes exist. And can be accessed. As a bird I can surely use handle animal to get it to be my pet, hopefully the nice vegetables and fruits will give a good enough circumstance bonus... I have severe problems sleeping, so a bird that sings and makes sleep easy sounds like not the worst pet to have.

Other than that, I am making a new spell storing item trap, so I can have one at hand, to access 2nd level spells on the go (guidance of the avatar yay).

Next year though it's going to be fun, so I am going to be taking this one easy making sure my base is comfy.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

You are indirectly proving my point. There are ways to fool our ears, but we are so unused to it that it drives us mad! Even something as 'subtle' as a Mental display would draw immediate notice and unwanted attention. Will people guess what's happening when used randomly on the subway? Nope, probably not. Will someone you are trying to manipulate in the long term start noticing patterns? Yes, I think they will. And that could have consequences.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

You are indirectly proving my point. There are ways to fool our ears, but we are so unused to it that it drives us mad! Even something as 'subtle' as a Mental display would draw immediate notice and unwanted attention. Will people guess what's happening when used randomly on the subway? Nope, probably not. Will someone you are trying to manipulate in the long term start noticing patterns? Yes, I think they will. And that could have consequences.
    Note that you can hide Psionic Displays with a Concentration check.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You are indirectly proving my point. There are ways to fool our ears, but we are so unused to it that it drives us mad!
    Not really. It drives you mad with repeated, frequent occurrence. It fools you by making them unpredictable. Yeah, if a sound happens a second time after a short period when you are mentally primed you can zero in on it. But a one off? Not so much. I mean, have you ever had to listen for which battery between three smoke alarms was dying? And that's dealing with something you know about.
    Even something as 'subtle' as a Mental display would draw immediate notice and unwanted attention.
    No, it wouldn't. Random sounds are a fact of life. Unless you're actively looking for the source, where they come from isn't going to be of much concern to anyone. And even if someone did think that it sounded like it came from inside their head, they're likely to self-diagnose that as a sign of mental instability and try to ignore it, not go running off saying "Quarian is beaming sounds directly into my brain!" No matter how true it is, it sounds insane.
    And that could have consequences.
    Just not the one's you're thinking.