New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 15 minute adventuring day

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    So I figured out what are the decisions in a fight are and I got 3.

1) The initial start of a fight, weapons are drawn, shots fired, distance closed. This decision point is based off of all/only pre-combat information and has two main parts: commitment to the fight (I'm assuming the fight is breaking out, but one side might still rather run) and how do you engage. 2) Reacting to the results of earlier in the fight, after the initial fight how does that change the situation? Who has the advantage? What can you do from here to decide the fight? 3) Fight has either been decided, who is going to win is pretty clear. How do you press your advantage or cut your losses (or aim for a desperate turn around). Sometimes ignored, but if the fight is part of a continuous game, it is important.
    From the PoV of a group of adventurers, I would add a decision 0: You have reason to suspect a fight is impending. How do you prepare for this? Do you intend to seek more information about the threat or do you know enough? Do you intend to avoid combat, and if so do you intend to hide/run/bluff/intimidate/negotiate etc? Or do you instead intend to either ready a pre-emptive attack, fortify your own position, reposition, summon minions etc?

Obviously, you don't always know in advance if a fight is impending. But when you do, how you prep can be pretty vital.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2019-01-06 at 02:03 PM.