New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Lands of Sanetch - Alpha

"As for why, I have no idea. There are plenty of hobgoblin clans living south of the river. They rarely cross the river, though, and when they do, it is only because they are very desperate. They have come to seek food during a few unusually harsh winters, and it has happened that an outcast comes to try and steal something. But I have never seen anything like this. I don't know individual hobgoblin clans, but this is about the entire fighting force of a small clan."
    Hadraïn sighs.
    "I really had hoped you could shed some light on what happened, and why the hobgoblins would try to kidnap Mordran and Tamina first. It really makes no sense why they would do such a thing. Have you not been able to observe what the hobgoblins wanted from Mordran and Tamina?"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Speaking of which, where is their daughter? She found us and told us where to go."

Thanks, Shades of Gray, for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

"She... I don't know whether one can call it lucky or not. She apparently ate from the poisoned soup, fell off the bench and hurt her head. We found her bleeding and unconscious on the floor in here, right before the hobgoblins attacked. She was thus spared the gruesome experience of a battle. She is upstairs, recovering.
    But you haven't answered my question: Do you know anything about what the hobgoblins wanted from Talindra's parents?"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm afraid I don't. That's why I wanted to find.. Talindra? you said her name was? I think she might be able to tell us a little more about why they wanted her parents. All she told me was that some hobgoblins came and said they wished to speak with her parents. She didn't like hobgoblins, and hid, and then once inside they kidnapped her parents or something of the sort."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hadraïn shakes his head.

"I had really hoped that you had learned something. This whole story makes no sense. Had they just attacked the inn, it could have been a raid, unlikely as it sounds. But why would they kidnap Tamina and Mordran? To have hostages in case something went wrong? But then, why would they move them into the forest, and not across the river?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

With the circle completed, Hector stands in the middle and grasps his phylactery gently in front of him. As he has done every day for many years now he will allow his mind to drift, in hopes that divine insight will fill the void left by the departure of his consciousness. The ritual is accompanied by a softly spoken prayer: a request for the divine lady to grant meaning and understanding, and hope that the soul lost on this day can pass to the other side in peace.
    all's well that ends well,
    and we all die alone

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

"Perhaps it was a diversion? What other targets are there in this vicinity that they might want to lure us away from?"
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hadraïn looks at Lócë.

"A diversion, you say? How could a kidnapping be a..." Hadraïn's voice trails off, and his eyes become distant, as if something suddenly started to make sense.

Everyone in the room turns as the healer comes down the stairs. She is an old elf, whose eyes are like deep pools of water, and whose skin is translucent like parchment. The room falls silent as she speaks in a soft, warm voice.

"Tamina's body has been expertly taken care of by the human healer, but her mind may be forever shattered. Poor Talindra may have lost both her parents today."

These news deal a heavy blow to the elves' mood, and conversations are slow to resume.

"There will be food a bit later, if you want", Hadraïn says abruptly to Raël and Lócë. "I am sorry we cannot be better hosts today, but I hope you understand. Please tell me if you remember anything else about the kidnappers before you leave tomorrow morning."

Hadraïn turns away. He is clearly no longer in the mood for talking.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

Loce will return to his room to meditate on the days events.

*ready to move on to next day*
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-03-15 at 03:31 PM.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

The next morning, the atmosphere is still subdued. The death of Mordran and the state of Tamina's mind weigh heavy on the mood of the elves, who hardly talk among each other. There are much fewer of them than the previous day, though.
    You are served breakfast, and you are given lunch. An elf tells you to just follow the river. He warns you not to enter the forest, as it teems with spiders that are dangerous even for those with a lot of experience of keeping them in check.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Marius sighs as he sits on the table, feeding himself and the baby. His night had not gone extremely well, with the baby occasionally waking him up and some unrest in his mind. Giving a firm yawn, he almost misplaces some food when trying to give it to the baby. Correcting himself, he gives a small smile towards the baby to cheer it up a bit. But when he returns to his own thoughts, he looks somewhat grim too. Whether this is by his own thoughts or the weight of the atmosphere affecting him, he does not know either. He offers to the elves his healing powers before leaving if they still have great need for it.

Eventually though, he is ready to leave. Seeking out the others, he gives a nood to them. "Good morning. I hope your rest was better than mine. I am ready and how are all of you faring?"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

Hector uses the time after breakfast to pack his thing and don his armor. When Marius finds him he is already fully suited, and nods in response to the questions.

“How is the child doing?”

~after response~

“Do you think we should just follow the elves’ suggestion and move on? These hobgoblins are not the usual rabble; they have a great deal of support, funding and magic to spare” Hector’s posture shifts, he seems uneasy.
    and we all die alone

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raël

Raël, coming down the stairs, is once again suited up for travel. Catching Hector's question, he joins in the conversation.

"As much as I'd like to help these people, they seem to have support, funding, and healers as well. We really ought to get going. This attack does seem rather spontaneous, not as though it happens often. But while we're on our way, perhaps we can stay on the lookout for any hobgoblin activities in the area."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

"I think we should be on our way. They do not require or desire our assistance. Under normal circumstances, this would not stop me, but we are traveling with a small child. It is best to remove it from the area of conflict."
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

"The child is doing fine, though it kept me up at night a few times." With that said, Marius yawns, after which he helps the baby to another bit of food. "And as for whether or not to move on, well, I concur with what was said." Making sure to finish up some food for his own as well, Marius then adds something as he nears finishing up breakfast for him and the baby. "Oh, and a favour to ask from one of you. Could some one look out for the baby in the early morning when I am praying? Today he slept quite soundly during my meditation, but it is best for me if my meditative session is not interrupted so I can attune to the blessings of healing in full."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Of course, Marius. I have not meant to put all the burden on you, by the way. If you ever wish for me to care for the child, you need but ask me."

After finishing their meal, he takes the child from Marius and walks around the inn, rocking the baby.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

As he sits down to eat his breakfast, Loce brings up a point that he has not had the opportunity yet to bring up. "How did you come to be bringing such a small child with you on your journey? From what I can tell the path is a dangerous one."
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

Hector chuckles sardonically, but is quick to correct his laps in composure. “I suppose if you are going to be traveling with us you deserve the truth; the child came into our hands by accident back in Naregal. We were at the inn there when a man arrived and asked that what he was carrying be returned to its proper owner. At the time we did not know that the package would be a child, and thanks to an error in judgment by our gracious host we did not discover the child until the authorities were out of reach.” Hector looks down at the table, concentrating on his hands “If there had been another responsible option we would have taken it, the lady has smiled on us thus far; the child has been safe despite the dangers of the path.”

Before a response can be issued Hector breaks the tension with a smile and says “and our friend Marius here has been doing far more then his fair share, and excellent job at that” while giving Marius a friendly clap on the shoulder.
    and we all die alone

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Handing over the baby to Raël and watching how he walks through the inn rocking him along, Marius casts a warm smile in their direction. However, he also makes use of the moment to stand up straight, raise his arms and stretch his body. Giving a small sigh as he returns to his normal pose, he listens to what Löcé has to say. Sitting down again as Hector responds, he nods, agreeing with what Hector said. When he compliments Marius and gives a friendly clap on the shoulder, Marius smiles to the both of them. As he gives his response, he smiles and once more realises that he is grateful to be of aid. "Thank you, though everybody has done a good job of getting us in one piece along this path." Nodding politely again, he continues to speak. "Though what was said is right, we should be on the move soon again. No need to endanger the baby longer than is necessary."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

"Shall we be going then? I see no reason to tarry here, and waste the light of day."

OOC: I think we are ready to move on.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

"Alright, I concur. I am good to go, let me inform Raël." With that said, Marius grabs his belongings again, stands up and heads outside to find Raël and the baby. Upon finding him, he speaks up. "Good morning again, Raël. We are ready to depart once more. Are you ready as well? And, how was the walk with the baby?" As he said that, Marius motions towards the direction of the inn again, suggesting they go there to meet up with the others. He also looks at Raël and the baby, giving a smile to both and with a questioning look on his face and an offer made by his hands, he suggests that he can take over the baby again from Raël if he so desires.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raël

Marius finds Raël pacing around the yard outside of the inn, obvious happiness on his usually-calm face. "Yes, of course, let us go on. The child? He was fine. I'd forgotten how much I like infants."
    With some reluctance, he returns the baby to Marius, and they walk back to the inn. Once inside, Raël dons his bone-white chain and sword, and takes up his bow from where it had lain against the wall. He nods to the others and asks, "Ready?"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

“Think we are, let’s get underway”
    Last edited by Job; 2008-03-21 at 03:30 PM.
    and we all die alone

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

The young elf, who seems to be temporarily running the inn, leads you to the door. He tells you once again just to follow the path, because the forest is dangerous. He hesitates at the end of that sentence, but finally just bids you goodbye.

~~~

It is hot, even though it is morning and you are walking in the shade of the trees, and the humid air does not make the weather more bearable. The river glitters through a row of broadleaved trees to the right (these are the trees that provide shade to you). It promises a refreshing bath for those who are not afraid of its impenetrable and possibly treacherous waters. At least the water doesn't smell. To your left, the firs of the forest of Orbaïn form a forbidding wall together with the few bushes at the base of the trees. Your journey is uneventful. The only observation of note is that the baby seems to be much more comfortable on the right side of the way. It starts crying whenever Marius steers close to the fir trees. Maybe it is startled by the silence that seems to emanate from the forest - you only hear birds on the other side of the river.

~~~

It is afternoon when there is a change in smell from "forest" to "rot". Soon you can hear the accompanying sound of flies, and eventually you see a naked human foot sticking out from under a bush on your left.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Marius had given a courteous goodbye to the temporary elven inn keeper, after which they had set out on their journey along the road. Marius did notice that the baby was more pleased further away from the forest, so he stuck with the right side. During the journey, he tried to stick with Raël, so he could enjoy the baby's company too.

In the afternoon, Marius tried to start up a conversation with Raël, first talking about the weather, but eventually he tried to talk towards the subject of infants, due to Raëls earlier statement how much he liked infants. "So, Raël, you earlier said you had forgotten how much you liked infants. I did not know that as well, have you had experience with in.. fants..?" Marius' speech seems to falter a bit during the end of the question as his nose shoots up, displeased by the change in smell. "Blegh, what is that small?" Soon, however, Marius was answered by the sight he saw. "Ah.. I think I see.." With a grim look on his voice, he nods forward and looks at the naked human foot. Sighing, he doubted this would bode anywhere near well. Standing still, he left it to the others to observe it from a closer perspective.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

Seeing the foot Hector readies his weapons and scans the surrounding for any evil impulses while approaching the site slowly.
    and we all die alone

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will moves over towards the body, and pushes the vegetation aside to get a better view.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Hector scans the area, he senses strong evil emanating from the body. The person must have been evil while alive, and it must have been murdered not too long ago - though why should there be such a strong smell? While he is still wondering, he turns his attention upwards to the canopy, just to be on the safe side. And indeed, he senses the weak taint of evil that he remembers from the spiders from the previous night.

Before Hector can share his observations with his companions, Lócë has already approached the bush, pushing it aside. Lócë sees the corpse of a man that looks as if it has been drained of its fluids. The corpse is stark naked and has an ugly wound at its neck that looks like it came from some kind of bite. As Lócë is looking at the body, he thinks he sees movement in the bush. It takes him a moment to realize that the movement comes from a large number of tiny spiders that are crawling all over his arm and that have begun climbing his legs.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lócë takes (1d6)[3] damage from the spiders. He has to succeed on a DC 11 fortitude save or be nauseated the next round.

All: Although we aren't officially in combat, it may still be a good idea to roll initiative, since we need to play round-based due to the spiders.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort: (1d20+5)[9]
    Unarmed Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[24]
    Unarmed Damage Roll: (1d3-1)[2]

forgot to roll initiative
    rolled in OOC thread, got an 11

Loce staggers away from the spiders, fighting back the urge to vomit as the creatures crawl up into his throat.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-03-31 at 11:36 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects: