New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Lands of Sanetch - Alpha

Raël

As the healing seeps through his body, removing the beginnings of what will be nasty bruising, Raël's eyes flash open and he leaps to his feat, his sword out and his stance extremely wary. Seeing only Hector standing nearby, he quickly relaxes and sheathes the sword.

Seeing Marius come out, he bows a little and says, "I would appreciate a small healing. Hector has, fortunately, made me able to walk, but I would prefer to avoid too extensive bruising. Stiffness slows the reactions, after all."

Thanks, Shades of Gray, for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

“and yes, I can’t really thank you enough” Hector adds to Marius “I may have overdone it a bit, when we get in town I’ll be sure to pay for any reagents you need”

~~

Assuming Marius will part with the child, Hector will hold him while Marius tends to the wounds.
    all's well that ends well,
    and we all die alone

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silquë'mahtar'urulócë, usually called Locë, is tired. He hasn't slept well on the boat he took to Naregal, and the day of rest at the Inn of the Open Hand turned into an early morning of questioning, and a very long walk across the swamps, where he encountered some unfriendly lizards, who mistook him for a snack. He is still sore from the violent cramping the lizards' electrical shocks induced in his muscles.
    He has not spent any time admiring the view from the pass, but kept pressing on, eating while he walked. Finally, the old, massive stone bridge has come into view. It is just beyond the shadow cast by the hills that are more and more hiding the setting sun. Just as the derelict wall of a former fortification obscures the Inn, Locë hears a loud bang, and a splendid display of magical fireworks floats through the sky, fading slowly. Locë [and Raël - the two can't yet see each other] recognize the shapes as ancient elven runes. They know that this kind of fireworks was used a long time ago to send messages across the battlefield, having been replaced by magical messaging in the meantime. The meaning of the runes can, of course, only be deciphered by those who know the code, but one rune is unmistakably the sign for "HELP!".
    Locë forces his weary legs to run, and as he surrounds the corner, he sees three, no, four, persons - an elf and two humans, one of whom is holding a baby. The other human seems to be giving medical assistance to the elf.

~~~

Marius has just started to examine Raël when they hear a loud bang and see fireworks shoot into the sky from somewhere inside the dark and forbidding forest. While Raël starts trying to make out the elven runes, Hector and Marius notice that they hear no birds fleeing from the loud noise. They do hear the baby, though, who jolted at the noise, and is now crying.
    Moments later, an elf comes running toward them. He is very tall for an elf, at nearly 6 feet. He has long silver hair that are pulled back in a pony tail. He has amber eyes. He wears a dark green cloak over a white tunic and green pants. He is carrying an elegant elven thinblade, a longbow, and a white-and-gold satchel. Those with good ears can make out the ringing of a mithral chain shirt underneath his tunic.

[ooc]Skjaldbakka: If Locë draws his sword before coming around the corner, please indicate it. Also, please correct me if I got something wrong about your character.[/ooc]
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-15 at 09:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

"Actually, I would most likely let you sleep off the bruises now. The reason being that you should be more careful. But, I thought there was something at the kitchen." Handing over the care of the baby to Hector for now, Marius makes Raël show some of the obvious bruises to get a good indication of the damage. Marius shakes shortly, but than starts to weave a spell with one hand. Using that hand, which started to glow a soft yellow, he presses a finger on one of the bruises. The yellow glow seems to shift from his hand into the skin of Raël where the flesh starts to tingle as the bruises start to vanish.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+7)[8] x2 nonlethal healed.

When the loud bang was heard afterwards and the baby started to cry, Marius went to Raël and offered to take over the baby. Considering that a new person was arriving, Marius thought this would be wiser to do.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Silquë'mahtar'urulócë

Seeing the magical call for help, Loce dashes off toward the distress. Turning the corner, he pulls his mithral blade from its scabbard, prepared for any eventuality. He slows for a moment as he approaches the other group.
    "Are you the ones who sent up that call for help?"
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-11-16 at 02:35 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raël

"No, it wasn't us, but we should see what is going on." says Raël, moving subtly to block the newcomer's line of sight to the child and Marius, his hand on his sword's hilt. "I assume since you're asking, it wasn't you either. Who are you?"
    ______(Pause for conversation)_____

"We should go investigate. If someone's hurt, we can probably help."
    If Locë's reply isn't too suspicious, Raël pulls out his bow and runs around the inn in the direction of the runes and noise.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Silquë'mahtar'urulócë

"You may call me Lócë, we can save the formal introductions for later. Right now, there is someone in need of help. I mean to come to their aid. Are you with me?" He then runs off in the direction of the signal, without waiting for a response.

[OOC]Is it the same day as the lizard fight?[/OOC]
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lócë heads toward the forest, followed by the others. He carefully crosses the vegetable garden behind the inn that is encircled by remnants of an old structure. Reaching the edge of the forest, you come to a stop. Thick bushes weave between the dead branches of the pine trees, creating a near impenetrable wall. As you stand there, wondering how someone would manage to get inside the forest, an elven girl bursts through one of the bushes, sees the two elves, and runs toward them.
    "I am so glad you came!" she exclaims and throws her arms around Raël's waist.
    "TheyCameToUsAndSaidTheyHad... ToTalkToAtarAndAtaraAndSaidItWasUrgent", she sobs, forgetting to pause between words as elven children tend to do when they are very upset.
    "IDontLikeHallagolsSoIHidAndThey... They... TheyTookAtarAndAtaraCriedAndTheyTookHerToo... And... And... IRanToLaunchTheSignalButItWouldn'tWorkAndFinallyIt DidAndYouAlreadyCame!
    She takes a breath, looks up at Raël an exclaims in surprise, dismay and fear: But who are you?!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raël

"Peace, child, I mean you no harm, I am here to help. I am Raël, and if there are elves in danger, I will help regardless of the circumstances. How many hobgoblins?"
    Holding the girl's hand, he leads her back the way she came, listening to her answer. He keeps his bow in the other, and beckons the others to follow, in case any of them do not understand Elven.
    Last edited by Kai-Palin; 2007-11-17 at 08:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]Apologies. I took the liberty of not translating everything from elven. These are words non-elven-speaking characters would understand, too (forgot to mention that in my post).
    Atar - Father
    Atara - Mother
    Hallagol - Hobgoblin
    Also, elven is simple green.
    [/ooc]
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-17 at 08:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank you so much, honorable kinsman", says the girl, using a thoroughly old-fashioned honorific. She takes several steps toward the bushes, then she stops.
    "They were two. They just came in, and said they wanted to talk to my parents. Then, they did something horrible to them. I saw them carry them. They took the secret ways. I don't know how deep they went. But after the turn off toward the signal, there is no fork for... You will keep the secret way a secret, won't you? No one is supposed to know about them. But it's all right If I tell you, right? You will save my parents and not tell anyone? Right? You promise?
    The girl's fingers dig painfully into Raël's arm, and she looks as if she is about to cry again.
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-17 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer Raël's question

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

"You may trust us child. We only wish to help you save your parents. Please, show us the way."
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

The girl simply points at a bush. Even to keen elven eyes it looks impenetrable, and weren't it for the fact that the girl just passed through there, you wouldn't believe that it should be the head of a path.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

Hector follows his companions, being sure to return his helm to his head. No need to hear this conversation, should have read the elven books.
    and we all die alone

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

Once we get out of earshot of the child, Loce will whisper to Rael, "We had best hurry. I understand that hobgoblins have a taste for elf-flesh."
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Following along as well, Marius seems to shrug when the elvish words start to be thrown through the air. Keeping position besides Hector, Marius feels somewhat at ease knowing that he is not surrounded by only elves. Seeing as how the attention is amongst the elves, Marius instead decides to focus his attention on the baby as they move along. Better be sure the child is doing well before things get worse.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

"May Lady Vandria guide you!" says the girl. "I... I will wait here for the others. But I don't know when they will come. So please hurry, and bring back my parents. Please!" The girl tries hard not to start crying again, as you step through the bushes, one by one.

Inside the forest, you find yourself on a narrow path made of heavily compacted earth and the occasional flat stone. However, no tree-root, nor plant, not even a singe blade of grass grows on the path, while to both sides, the forest rises like a wall. The branches of the pine trees form a barrier of spikes through which ivy-like twines are woven.
    You can hardly see anything through the branches; the sun is already very low, and the pine trees seem to drink all the light as soon as it enters the forest. Aside from Hector, all of you can't shake off the eerie feeling of being watched.

Very soon, you reach the fork mentioned by the elven girl, and you continue straight on, deeper into the dark forest of Orbain. The path starts to slowly veer to the left, then the bend becomes stronger, so that you can see less distance ahead. Suddenly, a blood-curdling scream rips through the twilight. The sound is coming from ahead, and not from very far. It tells you of a woman in great pain.

[ooc]
    Please give me a marching order. The path is just wide enough for one person to walk comfortably, though two can just squeeze past each other without touching the vegetation.

Kai-Palin
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the scream pierces Raël's ears, he thinks he noticed some movement among the trees in the forest to his right.

zweanslord
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the silence after the scream, Marius seems to hear something scurrying among the trees in the forest to his left, though, again, it may be a trick his mind is playing on him.

Skjaldbakka
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lócë tries to peer through the dark forest in the direction of the scream. There is nothing he can see on the way, but in the forest to both sides, he believes to see several shadows move among the trees, right, left, up, down, but at a distance from the path. Focusing on the shapes, he notices that the forest seems to teem with life for as far as he can see among the trees, and that this life is scurrying all over the ground and the trees - except within arm's length of the path. Lócë is unable to make out what exactly these creatures are, since they are blending with their surroundings very well.

[/ooc]
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-19 at 04:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Silquë'mahtar'urulócë

Loce is taking point. Please keep in mind that he has improved low-light vision from elf Paragon. He has +12 spot, +11 listen, and +12 hide.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Silquë'mahtar'urulócë

Loce is taking point. Please keep in mind that he has improved low-light vision from elf Paragon. He has +12 spot, +11 listen, and +12 hide.
    I did use the correct modifiers, but forgot about the improved LLV. Correcting my post now.
    Edit: done.
    Edit2: Something Lócë would know (from a knowledge check of Raël, so he knows, too):
    Spoiler
    Show
    He knows that r'baïn is old elven for the kind of dangerous spiders that haunt some of those ancient forests on the continent that have grown evil over the course of the centuries.

[/ooc]
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-19 at 05:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

The scream makes you hurry on along the path. It slowly widens while curving more and more, until you're nearly facing west. You are just too late, though, to catch the last rays of sunlight above the treetops. The entire path is cast into shadows, except about 150 feet straight ahead of you, where there seems something like a door opening into an illuminated space. The light is periodically blocked by a figure that pacing forth and back in front of it.
    You haven't been watching long before there is another piercing scream. It is coming from the direction of the light.

[ooc]Skjaldbakka
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to his eyes that are excellent even by elven standards, Lócë notices that to both sides of the "door" there are remnants of an ancient wall. Although the door will only allow one person to pass at a time, the path widens sufficiently so that two people could stand in front of the opening.
    [/ooc]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Following the others as they hurry along the path, Marius remains careful of the baby that he still carries with him. He looked at the path so far and wondered why it was like this. However, as his thoughts pondered of it, he continued to follow the actions of the group. A minor sound he heard earlier seems to have slipped from his mind already, thinking of it nothing more than a natural occurrence. The screaming, however, did attract his attention..

Spoiler
    Show
    Pondering about possible natural occurrences of such a path using his Knowledge: Nature. (1d20+15)[21] His current hypothesis's are that it might be a natural path carved by many wildlife walking over it or that it is made by the natural way of elves.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce

Loce will move up to within 30', and then cast glitterdust, if he can manage line of effect on the figure. If they turn out not to be hobgoblins, I can apologize later.

Spell Failure: (1d100)[34]

Success!
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-11-22 at 01:58 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]
    Zweanslord
    Spoiler
    Show
    One thing is for certain. This path was not made by wildlife. No wildlife would care whether there are weeds growing on the floor, or about the smoothness of the path. In fact, it looks like the path has been literally cut through the forest - even though the area seems to be very fertile, as demonstrated by the dense growth of plants, there is nothing growing on the path. In fact, cut may be the wrong word. There are no marks of cutting on the trees, it is almost as if they had decided to just not grow any branches in the direction of the path, as if two invisible walls separate the path from the forest. Marius concludes that this path must be the work of a skilled magician.

[/ooc]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Carefully, you move on, trying to not make any noise, or draw any attention to you. You have only taken a few steps, however, when the figure appears to freeze, blocking the light. It looks like the figure throws something in your direction, something like a ball that grows so fast that it has the size of a small horse as it touches the ground.
    A ferocious growl tells you that the ball indeed has transformed into an animal. A predator with thick, black fur, so that it's hard to make out any features aside from the yellow eyes and the rows of sharp teeth. A wolf, but the big bad type. And it is charging toward you.

[ooc]
    Apologies for the double post. I wanted to make sure that my second reply is going to show up in the notification.

The situation is as follows: Where you stand, the way is about 1.5 squares wide. Thus, you can move easily past each other, and standing on the same square will give you only -2 to Atk/AC. All of you get a single move or standard action before the wolf is in melee range.
    EDIT: Currently, you're about 120 feet away from the mysterious figure, and 20 feet from the charging wolf.

Please roll initiative.

Skjaldbakka: You can use your spell failure roll either on the Glitterdust you planned to cast on the figure, or on whatever spell you want to cast on the wolf.
    Kai-Palin: In case you want to go with your old character sheet, the maneuvers granted to Raël are
    Leading the Attack / Mountain Hammer
    Otherwise, send me the link to the new character and assume that you have talked about tactics during the walk through the forest.
    [/ooc]
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-22 at 02:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce:

I'll keep my Glitterdust spell, at the figure I am assuming is a hobgoblin.

Initiative: [roll0] EDIT- Init 14 (rolled in OOC thread)
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-11-23 at 11:33 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

Expecting a potential attack form the sides as well, Hector will stand ready to defend himself and the child, maintaining his positions for the time being.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20)[16]
    and we all die alone

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador
    HP 47/47, AC 16 18 flat 16 18 touch 11 13, Initiative: N/A (delaying)

Since he has a baby to take care of, Marius makes sure that he stays at ease. He does not want to disturb the baby, despite the dire situation. Remaining calm, Marius tries not to alert the baby. Meanwhile, however, Marius will look at the wolf, trying to see how normal (or not) it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delaying actions until somebody gets injured. Trying to see how normal or not the wolf is with knowledge(nature): (1d20+15)[25]
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2007-11-24 at 12:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raël
    (I'm not quite done with the new character sheet yet, so I'll just go with what I've got.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[22]

Raël hastily draws an arrow and fires it directly into the face of the oncoming wolf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

"Now, hold together, and if them does anything tricky, requite them for their pains. We've got a solid defensive position here, and we can hold off whatever they throw at us!"
    Activate: Motivate Care: +1 AC for everbody
    Master of Opportunity: +3 on everything related to AoOs
    Bolstering Voice: +4 on saves against fear and mind-affecting abilities (not sure about the mind-affecting thing)
    White Raven Defense (Feat): Raël, Marius, and Loce each have an additional +1 to their AC

HP:29/29, AC (modified): 20, Flat-Footed: 16, Touch: 15
    Last edited by Kai-Palin; 2007-11-24 at 10:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raël is glad to have drawn his weapon earlier. Better too prepared than caught unaware, as his old instructor used to put it. He skillfully fires an arrow at the approaching wolf and hits it right in the nose. Strangely, though, the arrow falls to the ground without any apparent effect. This surprises Marius. No ordinary wolf would just be able to shrug off such a hit. Sure, this one is larger, heavier, and probably more dangerous than a normal wolf, but even so it's nose should be vulnerable. This leaves only one conclusion: The wolf that has been summoned by the strange gesture of the figure is somehow magically enhanced. Whether enhanced or not, Marius knows that these wolves hunt by pulling their prey to the ground, where they kill the helpless victim before going on to the next target, and that they usually start with the weakest enemy first.
    Lócë seems the least concerned with the wolf. He calmly incants a spell, until a fine streak of light that glitters like fairy dust shoots from his outstretched finger. In the blink of an eye, the streak is past the wolf and hits the figure, exploding in a firework of little lights that is almost blinding, even though you're standing more than 100 feet away. The dust settles, and outlines the muscled figure of a hobgoblin who is holding his hands to his eyes. You hear loud cursing - two male voices, in nearly accent-free common. Then the female elf screams again.
    Hector is meanwhile carefully scanning his surroundings. However, nothing indicates that there is any danger from behind you, or from the forest to your sides.

[ooc]
    Thanks for writing HP, AC and other relevant information. Please post your action for combat round 1.
    Kai Palin: Maneuver granted: Tactical Strike.

Edit: Though Marius mainly studies the wolf, his attention is diverted to Lócë as he casts his spell. With Marius' trained eye as a healer, he notices the slightly uneven stance of the elf. This is usually the result of back pain from muscles that are severely tensed up due to bad posture, although this seems unlikely for someone like Lócë. Alternatively, such tense muscles could have been caused by electrical shocks, which is not unthinkable given that the elf must have passed the lizards, too.
    [/ooc]
    Last edited by iop; 2007-11-24 at 11:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will cast Shocking Grasp, then move up to strike the wolf with it, bolts of white and gold energy crackling between his fingertips.

Spell Failure: (1d100)[87]
    To-hit: (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage: (5d6)[22]
    SR if necessary: (1d20+6)[23]

and, I missed. I'm still holding the charge though.

HP:28/44, AC (modified): 24, Flat-Footed: 18, Touch: 18
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-11-24 at 11:16 PM. Reason: corrected current HP
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects: