Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

...that's a lot of lava. With flying enemies.

Man, there's 3 enemies in a perfect AoE formation, and there's nobody to take advantage of it besides Deneb's temptation, and it makes me so sad.

Oh. Huh. Apparently I can now + Magic. Well then.

Also, Gun of Satan is a cool name, so, I approve of that.

Spoiler: Army
    Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 19
    Deneb 10
    DataNinja 10
    Blue 2
    Celestine 8
    Trobby 5
    Vecna 12
    Ivanna 3
    Glycinia 0
    Terepat 1
    Orson 2
    Deme 2
    Eleanor 0
    Friendly Fire: 5 Whoops, An Object Got In The Way: 12

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Sure, we can just hop over this lava. What convection?

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodi, who lives in Canada
    Oh boy, snow. I love snow, and by "love" I mean "kill me".
    Also, headpats and awkward maybe-romance, apparently.

And thrown rocks.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-02-25 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Sure, we can just hop over this lava. What convection?
    It's clearly magic lava. Or we just have enough magical protection from all those trinkets that we've been picking up.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

I bet you thought I'd forget getting a Taste Of out today! Well you're wrong. I just didn't have one prepared until after work.

A Taste Of: Gurumin, a Monstrous Adventure

Video Length: 26:26

Here we have a perfectly cool game that has interesting mechanics and is really well written and has fantastic music.

And controls like ass. I can't use a controller because it makes the camera spin 360 degrees without end, and as this video so clearly shows the keyboard controls are...problematic at best. It feels really bad to dislike this game, but it's just...unplayable! Which sucks because it's great otherwise!

Eye-Zodi by Pinkhaired August. I S E E Y O U.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Looks interesting. Opening cutscene was a bit long. That controller issue sounds like what happens with Gamecube controllers if you plug them in while a stick is in a non-neutral position... I wonder if it was local calibration? Seems like something most games would have fixed before release, otherwise; it doesn't sound subtle.

Something about looking at the game makes me think it'd be good for speedrunning. Maybe just the impression that there's probably something you can clip through, between the charge attack and the general slightly-dated-looking aesthetic.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

...creepy baker guy. How about no?

That's a loooooong opening. Feels more like a pre-menu cinematic, not one in the middle of the game's opening.

With the pulsing music notes, the opening, and now this song and dance, it's feeling like a pretty rhythmically inspired game.
    And our heroine has no qualms about shutting it all down.

So... the monsters have monsters. I wonder if the cycle will repeat with them.

That's a drill, not a sword of the gods. You can't harm Phantoms with that. You need at least a bow.

You and your puns, Zodi. Excalibore?

Hmm. Almost looked like you could talk to the box monsters circling the chest or something.

Invincibility dodge. Interesting. With that and the drill dash, you've got a lot of mobility, theoretically.

Overall... neat looking, I guess, but I dunno… the movement all looks clunky to me, and it doesn't seem to be that engaging of a combat system. Has a certain charm, though.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest: It kinda looks like that shovelware garbage you'd get from your grandparents when you were 6 that you'd play once and enjoy because you have no taste but then never play again.

That might be because of the controls, especially the camera controls, but it feels messy and clunky even keeping that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I'll be honest: It kinda looks like that shovelware garbage you'd get from your grandparents when you were 6 that you'd play once and enjoy because you have no taste but then never play again.

That might be because of the controls, especially the camera controls, but it feels messy and clunky even keeping that in mind.
    On the one hand wow rude. Nihon Falcom puts a ton of effort into their games and it honestly shows, even if the controls are wackadoodle nonsense.

On the other hand it's a game from 2004 meant to emulate old adventure games like Banjo Kazooie and all, released on Games for Windows Live and the ported to PSP and then moved back to PC via Steam and GOG, with a 3DS port as well. So you're not...entirely wrong?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Man, that intro cutscene was wild. I love the little touches, and Parin's complete lack of respect for everything around her. In a bakery? Sneeze on all the goods! Random dog in the street? Time to practice my flying kicks! Obtain legendary weapon? New backscratcher! Priceless stone idol in historic temple? PARIN SMASH!! Truly, the hero we deserve.
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.
    Spoiler: PbP
    Show

Homebrew: Sig, MHP

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    On the one hand wow rude.
    *shrug* Things that follow the phrase "I'll be honest" are rarely polite.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    *shrug* Things that follow the phrase "I'll be honest" are rarely polite.
    Are you saying that you've been lying to us the entire rest of the time?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Are you saying that you've been lying to us the entire rest of the time?
    Is that not what politeness is?

(also I mostly lurk in this thread, sooooo... no?)
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-02-28 at 04:16 PM.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #283

Onward, to chapter two!

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [15] Thriller Night

Video Length: 18:01

In this episode, we officially begin chapter two of the video game! We're like, a third of the way done now. Two or three of our units are at end game class wise and Gaston may as well be even though I'm gonna have him be a dragoon. With this level of power, what can the game exactly throw at us? Well, heading to Gryllus woods, we find out! Today, we're tangling with the undead!

Zombies are your bog standard units. If you see a zombie soldier, you best believe they're gonna do the basic ass soldier thing. Zombie wizard's gonna throw some light magic your way, but otherwise is the same. Allegedly zombies have poison firsts (game's typo, not me) but I've never seen that and we likely never will given, if it IS meant to be fists like I think, literally no zombie but archers who are counter punching will hit with a fist attack. And given the point we're at in the game no one will ever hit with a fist attack ever again, pretty much. Ghosts, meanwhile, are a different sort of unit. They're not technically monsters, they're...kind of a "class" actually? It's weird, but the game considers ghost a class, a class that humans can unlock only by dying and being revived with the bane spell Cursed Existence. There is a good chance I will murder a random recruit to show this off at some point. Ghosts can cast low level bane magic, and teleport to move! The game says they're immune to physical attacks and...I mean all of our actual weapons are magical so maybe that means they don't count, but given the one ghost that gets Don Quixote in this episode I don't think the game is telling the truth on that.

The major strength both ghosts and zombies have, however, is their ability to revive! After two or three turns, the undead rise from their grave with about a quarter or so of their health left! It's pretty annoying, not least of which because the only way to permanently take them down is through having a cleric. It does, however, make for a really silly kill count this episode. Blue's gonna be the only one to do a murder this episode...meaning he's gonna get Centurion, becoming a slightly buffer cleric. The cleric and priest classes have two ways of dealing with undead. Exorcism, which is a basic AOE spell like all the other elements, but instead of dealing damage it just has a percentile chance of permanently removing undead from the field! It only works if they're up and about though. Then they have Faith, which only works on the reviving corpses...but is GLOBAL range, and never misses! So that's pretty cool. As well, because exorcisms are not TECHNICALLY kills, I don't think they count against the ability to become a Priest. They're not KILLS, specifically, they're EXORCISMS. I'm pretty sure this is how it works, don't quote me, and none of the guides have info on this. The only way to beat undead encounters otherwise is to make every single unit fall down at the same time, which the game counts as a win in your favour. No one gets a kill in that case since you can't...KILL an undead, they're already dead.

Speaking of kill counts, Gaston, Celestine, Deme, Dataninja, and Trobby all participated in Quest grinding, and as a result will not have accurate kill counts to DataNinja's amazingly well put together kill counter. This is best shown by the fact that during the exactly one bit of grinding I did to buy Celestine water walking boots, he got Blood Reign (which requires killing 25 people total). This is unfortunate...however! I recently read that the game does show each unit's kill counter at the end of the game, so for now we can rest easy knowing that DataNinja will be catching the regular murders, and the game can shore up what nonsense I did in Quest mode. I will try not to over grind in the future Quests, however. Just wanna put things on the table.

The one final point that needs raising here is...this level actually has a secret. If you wait too long, more undead start to spawn. And by spawn I mean after a certain point every undead that you remove is almost immediately replaced. It can lead to this map going pretty long! Thankfully all our units are stupid ridiculous so we were able to rip the zombies apart before they could do that. But yeah, that'll be it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time for another video that may be as short as this one!

------

Emblem time! We've got two emblems to talk about, since the other emblem we saw get got this episode was already known to us thanks to Stan.

Blood Reign: You've murdered 25 people! Congrats, that sort of thing sticks with you! People with this emblem exude an aura of malice three tiles large that makes enemies get -1 to their morale gauge. This is pretty signifigent, since a -1 works out to be around -13%ish of their numbers, so now every enemy near Gaston is just that much weaker. Added to the fact that we now have two valkyries with Eleanor and Trobby, and we can put the serious hurt.

War God: Oh hey look it's the serious hurt. If you do over 200 damage to a unit, you get this emblem! It increases your strength by 30, but it also reduces your int by 30! I'll talk more about how I think emblems as they are in this game are inherently flawed and not that good, but I do like War God. If you do it actively, and you basically have to actively get it to get it, you were never gonna use magic on that unit anyway. Except for buff magic, which isn't really effected by int most of the time.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Yep Zodi, exorcisms also don't count as kills for the purpose of becoming a priest. Also a helpful little reminder: Lodis burned down the forest to get to people who had escaped a previous culling. They didn't just march in there and kill the people.
    Official Founder of the Defenders of the Kitsune, Nekomata, Tengu, Tanookie and Mujina. Please leave the Real World at the door.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Yep Zodi, exorcisms also don't count as kills for the purpose of becoming a priest. Also a helpful little reminder: Lodis burned down the forest to get to people who had escaped a previous culling. They didn't just march in there and kill the people.
    Yes, good point. Forgot to specifically bring that up that yes, they burnt down the forest full of innocents who ESCAPED their last burning.

That's much better.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I think that's the first (two) time(s) we've one-shot an enemy from full health to zero in a single blow! I'm guessing Gaston might be doing a bit more of that in future - I'll consider that a stylish move against non-undead targets.

Man, I wish I had something like Faith in FFT. The number of times I've been TPK'd by skeletons resurrecting at the worst possible times...
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

So... uhhhh, how do tracking? I'm going to assume that just... every time they get killed is a "kill", since there is functionally nothing that's different about the win condition kills besides them all having to be dead at once.
    Or... that. Ah, I guess, yeah, holy magic can destroy. I was wondering about that. So... well, guess that'll be easy on me, I guess.

Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 19
    Deneb 10
    DataNinja 10
    Blue 8
    Celestine 8
    Trobby 5
    Vecna 12
    Ivanna 3
    Glycinia 0
    Terepat 1
    Orson 2
    Deme 2
    Eleanor 0
    Friendly Fire: 5 Whoops, An Object Got In The Way: 12

And, in honour of chapter 2, Episode 15, and because I felt like it... here's the current visualization:
    Spoiler: Graph
    Show

Ease up there, Gaston, buddy.

18. - Top - End - #288

Gaston will never let up. Also hey bonus video today.

A Taste Of: Zodi's Boyfriend (also Kirby Super Star)

Video Length: 16:25

This is mostly just a test to see if we CAN record a game together. And hey, we can!

Feel free to enjoy this it's got some funny bits. Think of it as a teaser for what's coming after Lodis

19. - Top - End - #289
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ohey, I'm live! That means I'm famous or something now, right?

Just dropping by to acknowledge Zodi's including me in her video. This was my first time recording, and I hope I did all right. You may be seeing more of me in the future!

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

...please no feeding us human flesh, thanks. I'm not a cannibal.

Seems like the controls are going to be the biggest foes here.

Your capture seems to be skipping a bit here. Hopefully it's not a major equipment problem.

Yeah, poor Lolo and Lala… two targets.

Psssh, Mirror being the best? Please, copying Tac gives the best Copy Ability in the game.
    (I joke, I love Mirror. It's stylish and useful.)

Dedede's theme is awesome, I agree. Only getting better in the Revenge Of The King.

Edit: Oh, oops, a Blue commented while I was watching/writing. Hello! Wasn't too bad, especially since you said it was your first time recording. I know that kind of... nervous, self-conscious feeling myself, remembering recordings for school presentations. I've been told that it feels a lot more natural with time, and so the diction flows a lot smoother. (Cannot personally confirm, because I was done with recording as soon as said school projects were done. )
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-03-02 at 02:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Seems like the controls are going to be the biggest foes here.

Your capture seems to be skipping a bit here. Hopefully it's not a major equipment problem.

Yeah, poor Lolo and Lala… two targets.

Psssh, Mirror being the best? Please, copying Tac gives the best Copy Ability in the game.
    (I joke, I love Mirror. It's stylish and useful.)

Dedede's theme is awesome, I agree. Only getting better in the Revenge Of The King.

Edit: Oh, oops, a Blue commented while I was watching/writing. Hello! Wasn't too bad, especially since you said it was your first time recording. I know that kind of... nervous, self-conscious feeling myself, remembering recordings for school presentations. I've been told that it feels a lot more natural with time, and so the diction flows a lot smoother. (Cannot personally confirm, because I was done with recording as soon as said school projects were done. )
    The controls are good and I've beaten Spring Breeze like half a dozen times, the problem is that dolphin switched my damn bindings!

Concerning the "skipping" that's just King Crimson the emulator lagging a bit, it's nothing we can really deal with.

I can confirm that recording gets easier as you go. It does for me at least. But then, recording also shifts my brain into work mode so I can just speak more freely in general. It's a weird mentality thing.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-03-02 at 08:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

The controls are good and I've beaten Spring Breeze like half a dozen times, the problem is that dolphin switched my damn bindings!
    That sounds like control issues to me.

Concerning the "skipping" that's just King Crimson the emulator lagging a bit, it's nothing we can really deal with.
    Ah, okay, gotcha. Well, that's less concerning than the whole setup having issues. Wouldn't want to have to go awhile while Zodi gets new equipment, after all!
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-03-02 at 12:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Mirror is great, yeah. And the mic's name is Walky.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #294

Happy Monday. Have a Lodis.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [16] Euphaire

Video Length: 30:00

If this and the next couple videos sound weird, it's because I recorded them in the morning and was just...not super feeling well? It's weird.

In this episode, we head off to Blete, one of the villages Lodis set on fire! There are other villages that they ravaged, but this is one of them (and it's a slightly plot important once since apparently Eleanor was a survivor of the attack). Blete now is full of zombies of all stripe, and it's up to us to clear them out. However, at the head of the zombies is a living being, Euphaire, a powerful shaman (unique Siren class) with a special ability; the ability to convert her HP into MP for others. On top of that, she's also got the first summon spell in the game, Salamander!

Summons are an interesting sort of spell. Only Siren's, Priests (to a degree), Deneb, and one other thing we won't mention here can use summons. They do a ton of damage...but piecemeal, around 20 per hit. The amount of hits a summon has is determined by your int, and I believe the max hits is like 13? That's a lot. Unfortunately Summons are a little inaccurate, but with morale buffs flying around and positioning being a thing, you can make your accuracy pretty high. The other thing to keep in mind with summons is that they hit everyone in the range, friend or foe, so despite the massive size of the AOE you tend to only want one or two people with it if you can help it. I think summons are interesting, in that sense.

The only other living unit on this map is Pit, a warlock! Warlock's are masters of physical and magic, though they focus on support spells beyond their special ability Barren Soul, which is a spellblade attack that hits the target's elemental weakness. Pit here has Fluid Transfer, a support spell only certain classes can use, which let them transfer their MP to another unit! You can see how having a fluid magic user next to a summoner could be problematic, especially given Euphaire's Energy Transfer means she can, for no real cost beyond health, fill up the Fluid Transfer warlock...who will then fill up Euphaire, or other summoners. It's a pretty hefty combo! So we'll be doing our best to recruit Pit, if only so we can snatch that spell from him!

Once all the violence has been properly applied, Euphaire falls down and a ghost pops out of her. Turns out, her father possessed Euphaire with her mother's spirit after she was killed, and the process drove her spirit into a corrupt state. By beating her to death we purified her of the ghost, and she asks to join us, which we readily accept. Somewhere out there, her father is also around, and she hopes to meet him. I wonder if we will (we obviously will). I've got Thoughts and Opinions about Euphaire and her Dad, but I'll save those for when we actually recruit him. For now, let's just enjoy the fact that we've got a powerful spell in our pocket now, with an equally powerful unit behind it.

That'll be it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Thing to note about fluid magic that actually showed up in the video: It always gives MP equal to the 'damage' it does to you even if you have drastically less MP than that. So charging a character and then transfering MP is generally inefficent.
    Official Founder of the Defenders of the Kitsune, Nekomata, Tengu, Tanookie and Mujina. Please leave the Real World at the door.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Thing to note about fluid magic that actually showed up in the video: It always gives MP equal to the 'damage' it does to you even if you have drastically less MP than that. So charging a character and then transfering MP is generally inefficent.
    You know in retrospect I should of realized that. My bad. It still matters with regards to getting it going since you don't start with 10 MP I think?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

I think Euphaire is more useful for charging others than for summoning herself. Not that she's a bad summoner, she's really good, but being able to gift over 30 mp on turn one can drastically change the game in a lot of ways.

Especially in Quest mode, once you have a certain spell...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

That is one insanely generous necromancer! Not very competent though... Sacrificing yourself so that your zombies can cast a few extremely weak spells doesn't seem like a good deal.

I've got Thoughts and Opinions about Euphaire and her Dad, but I'll save those for when we actually recruit him.
    That is a pretty creepy thing to do. I mean, couldn't he have used someone else's body as the vessel for his wife's spirit?
    Chibi Sora by zheida!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    That is one insanely generous necromancer! Not very competent though... Sacrificing yourself so that your zombies can cast a few extremely weak spells doesn't seem like a good deal.
    Her class is SHAMAN not necromancer. Its an important difference.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, maybe people other than Blue will get kills this time.

...nope, guess not. Maybe one?

...I'm counting that for Ivanna. One non-Blue kill. Even if it wasn't really a kill, story-wise. Still counts. Totally.

That's, uh, a backstory. Definitely a backstory. A rather creepy one. For reasons unrelated to there being undead around.

Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 19
    Deneb 10
    DataNinja 10
    Blue 12
    Celestine 8
    Trobby 5
    Vecna 12
    Ivanna 4
    Glycinia 0