New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Certainly true in X-COM. How does one miss a point blank, 95% hit chance shot?
    The RNG is rigged! I'm certain that it is in pokemon games. Anything that's not 100% accurate seems to miss more often than it hits...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hah, epic kill steal there by Ivanna.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2019-01-21 at 03:32 PM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Certainly true in X-COM. How does one miss a point blank, 95% hit chance shot?
    Very stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    At the time though everyone who had played the one before already knew it. Knight of Lodis is a prequel for one of the most important characters in the saga.
    I mean, if you're an Ogre Battle aficionado you definitely knew. But I feel like everyone else wouldn't have a clue. Regardless, we will discuss the fish sauce at the appropriate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    The RNG is rigged! I'm certain that it is in pokemon games. Anything that's not 100% accurate seems to miss more often than it hits...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hah, epic kill steal there by Ivanna.
    People have plumbed the game's math and XCom, the newer ones anyway, literally lie to you about the numbers.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Man, there's been, like, a whole page of conversation since my reply to the last video. Hadn't realized this got everyone quite so talkative. (Granted, a lot of it's spoiler-marked, so that might be why it didn't really register.)

I mean, to be fair, even when it doesn't seem like you're the bad guy at first, you can be the bad guy, as we've seen... so maybe if it seems like you're the bad guy, you're.... not?

"No, I don't want you to join, because you stole my kill after doing nothing."

I'd vote for a dragon tamer option.

Spoiler: Army
    Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 6
    Allos 2
    Flauros 1
    Kamui 1
    Thelma 0
    Deneb 1
    Leon 2

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean, if you're an Ogre Battle aficionado you definitely knew. But I feel like everyone else wouldn't have a clue.
    Like me, who knows not one whit about this game. Or series.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Pokemon, meanwhile, we know the odds because people have decompiled the games; those are fair (to within the limits of hardware precision and occasional bugs).

The biggest one for me is the digital versions of Blood Bowl; those are explicitly mimicking physical six-sided dice, so it's easy to know what the odds ought to be, and yet it's not all that uncommon to get double-self-knockout, reroll it, and get the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    it's not all that uncommon to get double-self-knockout, reroll it, and get the same thing.
    Oh please, rolling a bunch of 1s to then re-roll them into another batch of 1s happens to the best of us, at the most inconvenient of times :p So thats pretty realistic at least.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

So since we are talking about odds lets talk about Tactics Ogre here and how IT LIES about the numbers: Namely the number shown is what it checks against [and is 100+levelmod+agimod+miscmods{such as from weapons and emblems}-(50+enemymods{same list, though some are weapons, like shields, are better on defense})*facingmod{1 from the front, .5 from the side, 0 from the back} all capped at 99] is accurate. Its just that the rng doesn't always roll a d100. It varies based on your biorythm/luck and morale.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Oh please, rolling a bunch of 1s to then re-roll them into another batch of 1s happens to the best of us, at the most inconvenient of times :p So thats pretty realistic at least.
    Snake eyes into snake eyes is 1/1296; at the very least, it feels sufficiently more common that if I actually still played the game I'd be setting something up to take recordings and check.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #98

Magic time!

Zodi Plays: Magic the Gathering Arena [2] Live Dangerous Or Not At All

Video Length: Yes

This is, partly, a test to see how I can use Sony Vegas to do recording. Turns out, pretty well!

Hope you all enjoy this ridiculous adventure.

A note for the future Knight of Lodis videos: I'm having severe trouble with the save file stuff. People who are into this game please come to assist me.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Magic time!

Zodi Plays: Magic the Gathering Arena [2] Live Dangerous Or Not At All

Video Length: Yes

This is, partly, a test to see how I can use Sony Vegas to do recording. Turns out, pretty well!

A note for the future Knight of Lodis videos: I'm having severe trouble with the save file stuff. People who are into this game please come to assist me.
    What seems to be your save file issue?

I don't remember having any issues, but I played this on GBA and not an emulator.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Hooooo boy. An hour of Magic. I know I just said recently that I watch all the videos of people I'm subscribed to... but I really hope you don't mind me bowing out of this one. It's just a little bit too much of a game I don't know. Hopefully it went well, at least.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    What seems to be your save file issue?

I don't remember having any issues, but I played this on GBA and not an emulator.
    The saves aren't working. I load the rom and it doesn't have the continue option. I can use save states to reload, but I kinda need the save file to work for Quest Mode. I have the right save FILE stuff, I can make a save and all that, and sometimes it DOES work, but only for a bit and only after loading my save state.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Hooooo boy. An hour of Magic. I know I just said recently that I watch all the videos of people I'm subscribed to... but I really hope you don't mind me bowing out of this one. It's just a little bit too much of a game I don't know. Hopefully it went well, at least.
    That's fine. Feel free o watch it in chunks if you want, and I can totally at Some Point play through the tutorial again to give people a feel for the game.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

The saves aren't working. I load the rom and it doesn't have the continue option. I can use save states to reload, but I kinda need the save file to work for Quest Mode. I have the right save FILE stuff, I can make a save and all that, and sometimes it DOES work, but only for a bit and only after loading my save state.

That's fine. Feel free o watch it in chunks if you want, and I can totally at Some Point play through the tutorial again to give people a feel for the game.
    Dunno how to help with that, specifically (it seems like an issue with the emulator to me), but what you might do is take a save state right after your save (as a backup), and then soft reset the game with A + B + Start + Select, then take another save state at the load screen, then load the save state then load the game. Should be able to get to do the quest mode stuff.

If this was a hardcopy of the game I'd suggest that the internal battery was dying on you.

Edit: Alternatively, are you sure you're not turning off the emulator in the middle of the save process? Make sure you back out of everything after saving, see if that helps.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-01-22 at 02:17 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Dunno how to help with that, specifically (it seems like an issue with the emulator to me), but what you might do is take a save state right after your save (as a backup), and then soft reset the game with A + B + Start + Select, then take another save state at the load screen, then load the save state then load the game. Should be able to get to do the quest mode stuff.

If this was a hardcopy of the game I'd suggest that the internal battery was dying on you.

Edit: Alternatively, are you sure you're not turning off the emulator in the middle of the save process? Make sure you back out of everything after saving, see if that helps.
    Yeah none of that works. The issue is that, seemingly at random, the sa1 file stops being read by the game. Sometimes it gets picked up and everything is all nice and good, and the next time it happens I'm save stating on that screen so that it stays like that, but man...it's frustratin'.

EDIT: I've done so. If I continue my save, get into game, and then return to title from in game, the save is gone. So yeah, I need help with this.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-22 at 08:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, geez. Save trouble sucks. I don't have personal experience, and the only thing I could find online regarding it was this page, which I don't know if it's helpful or not (or if you've already seen it already). Hopefully you're able to work it all out, because this seems like a fun game, and I'd hate to have it cut short.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

I know nothing about MtG, but that was actually really fun.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #106

Put the bullets directly in my mouth.

A Taste Of: Enter the Gungeon

Video Length: twenty minutesish.

Hey what if I actually continued doing the Christmas A Taste Of games? Wouldn't that be a cool and smart thing to do?

It would be.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, cool. I only know of this game from watching a friend play it briefly when visiting them last summer, but, it looked neat.

...yeah, gun puns are everywhere, I saw.

Oh, good. Got to love when information given to you is wrong. Is there at least an in-game reason for them to be wrong (a-la the Cubis Sisters trying to deliberately trick you, and being bad at it)?

Honestly, while discovery is nice, there's nothing wrong with looking up mechanics and stuff on a wiki. I'd rather know how a game works so that I can have fun with it, rather than bashing my head against a metaphorical wall for weeks on end because I just can't figure it out. If I've reached a point where my not knowing is getting in the way of fun, I have no qualms about seeking answers. It's cool if I can figure stuff out for myself , but there becomes a point where you just ask yourself "Am I enjoying myself while trying to figure this all out and putting in all this time?"

Yeah, invisible synergy and stuff mechanics can be irritating. If they telly you when you have them, at least, it's not quite as bad, but whe it's just "get these random items and hope they mix"... it's frustrating. I mean, I'm sure some people love it, but I at least like to know the vague mechanics, even if it's just "synergises with X in some way".

18. - Top - End - #108

It's time for some accidental plot progression!

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [5] Fort Toughboy

Video Length: 49:06

Yeah these get pretty long and I'm not sure what, if anything, to cut...

But yeah, starting us off this episode, we go into some previous areas we've been in search of treasure! We find a mysterious glass pumpkin made by our resident perfectly normal soldier Deneb, and also a cool dragon shield inside a crate. Robbery at it's finest, but it's for a good cause; mine. We also uh...sold all of our Alters of Resurrection and kicking out all the previous party members we had, replacing them with patrons! We've got a dragon tamer (mostly so she can generate the stats she needs for Knight/Valkyrie), we've got an archer, we've got a cleric in training, and of course we have a ninja who is way cooler than Kamui ever was. I also uh...managed to do the memory editing needed to remind Leon his name is actually Vecna (thanks again to Pinkhair for the assist on this).

Also I said we'd see the emblems at the end of the video...I edited it out since it took WAY too long for no reason oops. We'll see them at the beginning of next video. But yeah let's actually talk about what happens today, since a lot does! We head to fort Formido to do our two pronged assault as Rictor informed us! It goes well, as we fight our way up this massive ocean-side fortress with only a small group of eight. Things felt a bit touch and go, but we managed to pull through thanks to the power of team work and gravity. We also found a cool Dragon Gem Sword, which...I think makes enemy dragons take a morale unbonus when nearby? The game is very vague about it and the wiki is a different shade of vague.

However, once we finish slaughtering near everyone in the fort, we get captured in our investigation of said fort! It turns out Nichart Briffaut, the loser knight that abandoned all his men to die as part of some zany scheme to capture us, has...captured us with a zany scheme. He wants what we know...but of course, we know nothing. We are a child who was just directed towards this fort and told "go kill" and so we did. He leaves us to rot in the prison, that apparently floods and I know that's a real prison design people did but wow that must be messy huh. However, we're saved from our watery grave by Cybil, a perfectly trustworthy looking sorceress lady, and her ninja friend Shivan. All we need to do is pledge our loyalty to her and we're saved! I'm sure this won't come back to bite us.

And that's it for today actually. Join us next time, for...what I intended to do today. Oops. Hope you all enjoyed!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ah welcome back to hitting things you didn't intend to, featuring Zodi. And yes the figuring out the path that weapons/spells/abilities use is annoying and slightly random. Though Gaston hitting the floor he was standing on was funny. Also that is a lot of accuracy, but its also normal for that spell. Also its funny how tactically any fight here will end up with the player defending the fort area from the enemies, because comedy.

So enemy AI; 1. Pick target randomly from everyone you can hit. With Gaston getting about 4x wieght of targeting. If no one is in range then pick targets from entire army.
    2.Move to 'optimal' position, with ranged units considereding optimal position to be as far away as possible while still not running into arc problems.
    3.Attack/cast/do whatever.

And there is Blue's one kill on the way to being a priest. Clerics don't have a max kill count thankfully.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Woo, Vecna! Patron god of evil secrets and YouTube let's play videos.

Spoiler: Style Points
    Show
    Unit Counter Kills Shield Bash Kills
    Gaston 0 0
    Allos (retired) 1 0
    Blue 0 1
    Celestine 0 0
    DataNinja 0 0
    Deneb 0 1
    Flauros (retired) 0 0
    Ivanna 0 0
    Kamui (retired) 0 0
    Thelma (retired) 0 0
    Trobby 0 0
    Vecna (formerly Leon) 0 0
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2019-01-25 at 02:55 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

For cutting, what you could always do is speed "non-essential" things up, and then slow down when it comes down to more significant things, like killing blows, or whatnot. However, I do recognize that that would either require A) post-commentary, which would lose something of the visceral reactions, or B) talking about things in more general terms "okay, so my plans are to send X, Y, and Z over to the right to take out the enemy wizard, and then..." which allows you to speed up visuals underneath the audio, because you aren't talking about specific events. Then, when you have comments about specifics, you could slow it back down to regular speed. It... definitely would be a lot more work, though.

So, dunno if you want me to reset kill counts based on units being renamed, or have them separate, or only keep the new units, or what. For now, I've just struck out the names, and put the new-names count separate in brackets so it's easy to remember if I need to change it. I... did have to guess on who turned into the Tamer and who the Archer, admittedly
    . I might have got that wrong. (I do appreciate that you chose the Ninja for me, though. )

Postscript: Oh. I see. It's not a rename, it's full new units? Ah, oops, in that case, I'll just... wipe the slate clean for everyone but Deneb and Gaston, and they'll all be treated as fresh starts. And we can just forget about those other guys.

If the shield/set turns the wearer into a dragon, or counts them as it, or whatever... wouldn't it be better to give it to anybody except the Dragon Tamer, so that the Tamer can give bonuses to them? (Assuming, of course, that they can't give bonuses to themselves, and also that I'm not misinterpreting what it does.)

Do we need a Friendly Fire/I Didn't Mean To Target That Counter?

...yeah, we might.

Well, uh, guess Fire Emblem mode has been turned on, then. At least until we get more Altars, I suppose.

...I'll be honest. I was hoping for a Kraken to come out from the water-door and eat the guy you pushed in

Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 6
    Deneb 2
    DataNinja 3
    Blue 1
    Celestine 1
    Trobby 0
    Vecna 1
    Ivanna 0
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-01-25 at 05:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Ah welcome back to hitting things you didn't intend to, featuring Zodi. And yes the figuring out the path that weapons/spells/abilities use is annoying and slightly random. Though Gaston hitting the floor he was standing on was funny. Also that is a lot of accuracy, but its also normal for that spell. Also its funny how tactically any fight here will end up with the player defending the fort area from the enemies, because comedy.

So enemy AI; 1. Pick target randomly from everyone you can hit. With Gaston getting about 4x wieght of targeting. If no one is in range then pick targets from entire army.
    2.Move to 'optimal' position, with ranged units considereding optimal position to be as far away as possible while still not running into arc problems.
    3.Attack/cast/do whatever.

And there is Blue's one kill on the way to being a priest. Clerics don't have a max kill count thankfully.
    Right, it's Cleric+ that needs to be careful of how many murders they do.

Woo, Vecna! Patron god of evil secrets and YouTube let's play videos.

Spoiler: Style Points
    Show
    Unit Counter Kills Shield Bash Kills
    Gaston 0 0
    Allos (retired) 1 0
    Blue 0 1
    Celestine 0 0
    DataNinja 0 0
    Deneb 0 1
    Flauros (retired) 0 0
    Ivanna 0 0
    Kamui (retired) 0 0
    Thelma (retired) 0 0
    Trobby 0 0
    Vecna (formerly Leon) 0 0
    I legitimately don't remember if Nails of Vecna is on this forum but if he is I hope he enjoys the love he's getting.

For cutting, what you could always do is speed "non-essential" things up, and then slow down when it comes down to more significant things, like killing blows, or whatnot. However, I do recognize that that would either require A) post-commentary, which would lose something of the visceral reactions, or B) talking about things in more general terms "okay, so my plans are to send X, Y, and Z over to the right to take out the enemy wizard, and then..." which allows you to speed up visuals underneath the audio, because you aren't talking about specific events. Then, when you have comments about specifics, you could slow it back down to regular speed. It... definitely would be a lot more work, though.

So, dunno if you want me to reset kill counts based on units being renamed, or have them separate, or only keep the new units, or what. For now, I've just struck out the names, and put the new-names count separate in brackets so it's easy to remember if I need to change it. I... did have to guess on who turned into the Tamer and who the Archer, admittedly
    . I might have got that wrong. (I do appreciate that you chose the Ninja for me, though. )

Postscript: Oh. I see. It's not a rename, it's full new units? Ah, oops, in that case, I'll just... wipe the slate clean for everyone but Deneb and Gaston, and they'll all be treated as fresh starts. And we can just forget about those other guys.

If the shield/set turns the wearer into a dragon, or counts them as it, or whatever... wouldn't it be better to give it to anybody except the Dragon Tamer, so that the Tamer can give bonuses to them? (Assuming, of course, that they can't give bonuses to themselves, and also that I'm not misinterpreting what it does.)

Do we need a Friendly Fire/I Didn't Mean To Target That Counter?

...yeah, we might.

Well, uh, guess Fire Emblem mode has been turned on, then. At least until we get more Altars, I suppose.

...I'll be honest. I was hoping for a Kraken to come out from the water-door and eat the guy you pushed in

Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 6
    Deneb 2
    DataNinja 3
    Blue 0
    Celestine 1
    Trobby 0
    Vecna 1
    Ivanna 0
    Leon changed his name to Vecna, everyone else (minus Deneb and the plot characters) are newly hired recruits. Also Blue killed the boss with his shield bash and gravity.

I wouldn't mind a friendly fire count if only because I'm genuinely curious how bad I am at this video game.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Leon changed his name to Vecna, everyone else (minus Deneb and the plot characters) are newly hired recruits. Also Blue killed the boss with his shield bash and gravity.
    Ah, right. Forgot to record that as a kill. Chalk one up for the ground. Even though you were discussing it, and all. It just feels to me more like that's just an "environmental hazard", at least in my mind. So I was registering it as "oh, yeah, that wasn't an active kill". But, it totally was. I will try and do better in that regards in the future.

And I'll work on getting a general-army Friendly Fire count up, too. Not recording it per-individual, though.

24. - Top - End - #114

Ah, right. Forgot to record that as a kill. Chalk one up for the ground. Even though you were discussing it, and all. It just feels to me more like that's just an "environmental hazard", at least in my mind. So I was registering it as "oh, yeah, that wasn't an active kill". But, it totally was. I will try and do better in that regards in the future.

And I'll work on getting a general-army Friendly Fire count up, too. Not recording it per-individual, though.
    Yeah not recording via individual makes sense for me.

Also I forget if you counted it since I'm bad at remembering but Deneb also shoved someone off the wall.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I legitimately don't remember if Nails of Vecna is on this forum but if he is I hope he enjoys the love he's getting.
    Nails is me! I use that name on blogger, patreon, discord and tumblr because I use those 'professionally'; everywhere else I'm ninja_prawn.

/shameless plug

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

26. - Top - End - #116

Nails is me! I use that name on blogger, patreon, discord and tumblr because I use those 'professionally'; everywhere else I'm ninja_prawn.

/shameless plug
    I feel like I knew that and am just dumb as ****.

Also speaking of dumb I've finally taken the plunge and sent a feeler out to a book editor. Once it gets back and we work out the rates, we'll begin professionally editing my book and that'll be coming...soonish, potentially.

EDIT: I took a look at your patreon Ninja_Prawn and can I get a ****in' uuuuuh wow that's um...a lot more than I expected. I didn't realize you were THAT digit of Vecna as well. It feels weird to have super huge popular people be interested in my garbage.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-25 at 05:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Also I forget if you counted it since I'm bad at remembering but Deneb also shoved someone off the wall.
    I will... double check when I go back and re-watch everything tonight to count friendly fire. She at least has one more kill than last time, but I can't remember if that was the wall one, or if she politely axed someone to get out of her way.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, what are you writing again? I think I missed that.

THAT digit of Vecna
    No no, the Finger is the boss; he owns the company. Then we have four writers: me, Thumb, Palm and Knuckle, plus a social media manager (who doesn't have a goofy digit name). And we're not that super huge, yet.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

29. - Top - End - #119

Oh, what are you writing again? I think I missed that.

No no, the Finger is the boss; he owns the company. Then we have four writers: me, Thumb, Palm and Knuckle, plus a social media manager (who doesn't have a goofy digit name). And we're not that super huge, yet.
    A modern fantasy novel.

I mean yeah but also I saw your stuff on a completely unrelated blog earlier today while bored online at work and you've got like...seven hundred patrons and stuff! That's huge!

It's just neat to realize that someone who is part of something real big is also interested in what I do.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, this forum is what got me into D&D and you're a colossus 'round these parts. Why wouldn't I be interested in your videos? And now I get to cheer on a bearded wizard in an island adventure!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair