New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's just neat to realize that someone who is part of something real big is also interested in what I do.
    Remember, Zodi… famous/semi-famous/internet-famous/prolific/whatever people, all of them are still just people, with the same range of interests as anybody else. Being successful at something doesn't meant that you automatically have to only associate with things of the same popularity/reach/whatever as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Eh, this forum is what got me into D&D and you're a colossus 'round these parts. Why wouldn't I be interested in your videos? And now I get to cheer on a bearded wizard in an island adventure!
    To be fair, Title doesn't really mean anything. Sure, you do have people like Zodi, with all the LPing etc. content, but then you have people like me, where all my posts are mostly unproductive nothing.

(And, also, unrelated to the prior statement, sometimes the small communities are more fun, given that there's a lot more personal interaction available to the commonfolk like me. )

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

Spoiler: Army
    Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 6
    Deneb 2
    DataNinja 3
    Blue 1
    Celestine 1
    Trobby 0
    Vecna 1
    Ivanna 0
    Friendly Fire: 4 Whoops, There Was A Thing In The Way: 7

Also, yep, Deneb only made the one kill, via gravity. Woo. At least I managed to get one of the two correct. But, yeah. Tracking added to the bottom of the chart.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

Fresh off my birthday, it's time for some Ogre Tactics.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [6] As The Fairy Flies

Video Length: 24:09

In this exciting episode, some time has passed with regards to training. Deneb has become a witch, with her and Vecna now having both missile and AOE spells. Missile spells, as you may recall, shoot forward like the shuriken and stuff. AOE spells do not, and as such as mooostly safe from friendly fire. Once we get enough int to grow the AOE we'll have to worry about it, but for now our AOE has a range of exactly one tile. We've also just been doing some growing in general with our units, slowly preparing for their future jobs.

Starting us off today in actual content wise, we get a cutscene where we finally see Naris Betraal, the villain we're contending with! It turns out Nichart is a fool and an idiot and is basically pointless in the grand scheme of things. Kinda explains why he let all his men die in a brilliant plan to capture a single teenager. We also learn that...Naris and his sorcerer minions are looking for Something. But what could that Something be? We also, though Gaston doesn't learn quite yet, learn what happened to Rick and company. No one learned that the forest they were going to march through is the undead super forest made when Lodis murdered everyone for not believing in their God. Oops, they got ripped asunder by zombies.

But Gaston doesn't know any of this. All Gaston knows is that this cute fairy is being attacked by a bunch of other creatures for Some Reason. And no one Gaston has ever helped has ever been evil, so we should assist her! And that's the bulk of the combat for this video, saving the fairy Glycinia. We slaughter the gremlins, fairies, and griffins hunting her and she gladly joins our party as the mascot character we'll never ever use. She also talks about her sister Lubina, but we'll deal with that at a later date. Also I definitely remove all of her equipment to give to all my other units because it's waaay too good to just leave on a fairy. Call it a reward for saving her.

But yeah, that's the episode! Sometimes these can go pretty quick! I hope you enjoyed, I'll see you guys next time!

-------

Two emblems this time, though both were gotten off screen.

Fist Fight: We got this before last time and I just never showed it! You get this by killing someone while you have no equipment on. It's very hard, near impossible really, to do this in a real fight, but you can do it in training! It makes your bare fists do way more damage! It doesn't say by how much but it was making 1 damage attacks do 50 damage so...yeah.

Miracle: This is a fun one we got before this video! If you survive an attack that would kill you at 5% current HP or less, you get this reward! It increases critical hit percent by 10%, a pretty good bonus if I do say so myself. It also has another effect; if you get the Bogus Hero emblem from training up 20 levels (which makes it impossible to crit) Miracle negates it. It doesn't matter which order you get these in, as long as you have Miracle you cannot be effected by Bogus Hero.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Huh. Since this is the first map where they show up did you notice that the enemies (and Glycinia) had GREEN bars below their HP bars? That means they use SP not MP and can't benefit from anything that would restore MP.
    Mascot... sounds like a good word for Glycinia. Though high level fairies can get a minor attack spell.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Huh. Since this is the first map where they show up did you notice that the enemies (and Glycinia) had GREEN bars below their HP bars? That means they use SP not MP and can't benefit from anything that would restore MP.
    Mascot... sounds like a good word for Glycinia. Though high level fairies can get a minor attack spell.
    I feel like I mentioned that at some point, but I'll bring it up at some point when I next record (I've recorded...a fair amount in advanced).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

It's sad that fairies are so weak... And like, unbalanced. What's the point of including a recruitable character that you never have any reason to use?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It's sad that fairies are so weak... And like, unbalanced. What's the point of including a recruitable character that you never have any reason to use?
    There are reasons to use Glycinia. Just not good reasons. Also fairies make somewhat decent tanks (quizically enough) and can act as support/healers when leveled up enough. Also Glycinia here does have a special with her sister that is somewhat decent.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Completing a regular run through of the game is fairly easy; you dont really need to do more than spam named chars at things until they die, for the large majority of it. So variety and quirky options are a welcome change of pace when on a re-run, considering this is one of those games with more than one ending.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Mc + 7 fairies! Do it!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, when it comes to games, I do like knowing the names of the enemies. I get how it'd be weird in real life, but, to me it's a worldbuilding thing. The example that comes to mind for me is I love how all of the Cipher Peons in Pokémons Coliseum and XD have names, rather than just "Generic Grunt". Just gives some sense of livelihood to the world

Not really very much to talk about today, but, Trobby is eking up there in kills. I'll probably, when we get further along, do a graph of kills-over-time or something. And then we can see Blue's flatline.

Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 6
    Deneb 4
    DataNinja 4
    Blue 1
    Celestine 1
    Trobby 2
    Vecna 3
    Ivanna 0

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I mean, when it comes to games, I do like knowing the names of the enemies.
    I like it too. The world feels more complete when details like that are added. I guess it would be out of place in a game where the player's POV is limited to what the character sees/knows but, in a game like this, the player is an omniscient god. We even get to see cutscenes that Gaston isn't present for! Of course we'd know people's names.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

I like it too. The world feels more complete when details like that are added. I guess it would be out of place in a game where the player's POV is limited to what the character sees/knows but, in a game like this, the player is an omniscient god. We even get to see cutscenes that Gaston isn't present for! Of course we'd know people's names.
    Granted, we still don't know names until we're told them in cutscenes. Not even our own.
    (I still love all the descriptor-names they give.)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Mc + 7 fairies! Do it!
    How would you like an FE game with 7 herons/dancers that can also heal. And are archers. Because once you put time into that team thats about where you end up. Which puts an emphasis on how EASY this game is that that is considered a 'challenge' run.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

How would you like an FE game with 7 herons/dancers that can also heal. And are archers. Because once you put time into that team thats about where you end up. Which puts an emphasis on how EASY this game is that that is considered a 'challenge' run.
    Well...archers are completely broken in every iteration of a Tactics Ogre game...so I'm not sure how fair that is. It's much harder to play with a balanced party than it is to just have a team of archers and insta-gib anyone who gets close to you.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yep, Cybil's clearly one of the "good guys," here. No red flags whatsoever due to her demanding an unspecified service in exchange for taking all of about five seconds to release you from your chains so you won't drown in the prison cell and then declining to provide any real information on what it is she wants of you.

Interesting that the red-hatted "Young Sorceress" is apparently named Lethe, the river of the Greek underworld whose waters erased the memories that the spirits of the dead carried from their past lives, or a spirit of forgetfulness and oblivion associated with the aforementioned river.

Malicia? Clearly someone neither important nor malevolent, malicious, evil, or antagonistic. Must be the guy's personal chef or something like that, and he's just wondering about what's for dinner.

Somewhat unrelatedly, I'm a bit curious how Gaston picked up that emblem for persuasion, considering how he responded to the bandit archer whose parents were killed when Lodis invaded. "Well, that was years ago and isn't relevant to this current confrontation between me, a knight of Lodis and therefore an embodiment of the organization which did your family great harm, and you..." Suggests he's a little lacking in empathy, or at least in understanding of what motivates people and of why people hold grudges. I would have been amused if, despite that and the fight which followed it, you'd recruited her into the party, though.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Somewhat unrelatedly, I'm a bit curious how Gaston picked up that emblem for persuasion, considering how he responded to the bandit archer whose parents were killed when Lodis invaded. "Well, that was years ago and isn't relevant to this current confrontation between me, a knight of Lodis and therefore an embodiment of the organization which did your family great harm, and you..." Suggests he's a little lacking in empathy, or at least in understanding of what motivates people and of why people hold grudges. I would have been amused if, despite that and the fight which followed it, you'd recruited her into the party, though.
    If a map requires you to defeat someone, you can't recruit them. Otherwise people would do pacifist runs.

17. - Top - End - #137

There are reasons to use Glycinia. Just not good reasons. Also fairies make somewhat decent tanks (quizically enough) and can act as support/healers when leveled up enough. Also Glycinia here does have a special with her sister that is somewhat decent.
    Dodge tank is valid tank.

I mean, when it comes to games, I do like knowing the names of the enemies. I get how it'd be weird in real life, but, to me it's a worldbuilding thing. The example that comes to mind for me is I love how all of the Cipher Peons in Pokémons Coliseum and XD have names, rather than just "Generic Grunt". Just gives some sense of livelihood to the world

Not really very much to talk about today, but, Trobby is eking up there in kills. I'll probably, when we get further along, do a graph of kills-over-time or something. And then we can see Blue's flatline.

Show
    Unit Kills
    Gaston 6
    Deneb 4
    DataNinja 4
    Blue 1
    Celestine 1
    Trobby 2
    Vecna 3
    Ivanna 0
    Yeah I love that aspect too, honestly.

Also okay, that's four murders using physical weapons. I need to get you some magic/shuriken kills for No Reason At All.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Yep, Cybil's clearly one of the "good guys," here. No red flags whatsoever due to her demanding an unspecified service in exchange for taking all of about five seconds to release you from your chains so you won't drown in the prison cell and then declining to provide any real information on what it is she wants of you.

Interesting that the red-hatted "Young Sorceress" is apparently named Lethe, the river of the Greek underworld whose waters erased the memories that the spirits of the dead carried from their past lives, or a spirit of forgetfulness and oblivion associated with the aforementioned river.

Malicia? Clearly someone neither important nor malevolent, malicious, evil, or antagonistic. Must be the guy's personal chef or something like that, and he's just wondering about what's for dinner.

The game's writing is blunt but powerful and I love it, honestly.

The emblem Gaston starts with is apparently determined by one of the choices in the six fates! We picked the one that gives us Arbitration, so clearly Gaston DOES have a charismatic side...he's just **** when it comes to the church.

If a map requires you to defeat someone, you can't recruit them. Otherwise people would do pacifist runs.
    He was making a half joke half observation about gameplay and story segregation

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Also okay, that's four murders using physical weapons. I need to get you some magic/shuriken kills for No Reason At All.
    Ooh, is there Magic Ninja?
    (This is a rhetorical question, of course. I'm just enjoying going through this as it comes. )

19. - Top - End - #139

Ooh, is there Magic Ninja?
    (This is a rhetorical question, of course. I'm just enjoying going through this as it comes. )
    Something like that! You'll see once we get there.

In all honesty I'm probably gonna eventually make you a swordmaster and I'll end up hiring other people to show off the other classes? We'll see. The game basically wants you to have 16 people.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-28 at 10:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Something like that! You'll see once we get there.

In all honesty I'm probably gonna eventually make you a swordmaster and I'll end up hiring other people to show off the other classes? We'll see. The game basically wants you to have 16 people.
    Whatever boats your float, General.
    DataSwordmaster doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though.

I am excited to see what else lies within the depths of the Unknown Classes, though.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

The game's writing is blunt but powerful and I love it, honestly.
    Thats my favorite part of the Tactics Ogre series. The manga for LUCT was also pretty cool.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Thats my favorite part of the Tactics Ogre series. The manga for LUCT was also pretty cool.
    The line from Final Fantasy Tactics where someone says "die in obscurity" is the only time FFT even approaches the level Tactics Ogre hits.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

The line from Final Fantasy Tactics where someone says "die in obscurity" is the only time FFT even approaches the level Tactics Ogre hits.
    Speaking of which, and I know there is a long way to go, have you decided on an ending? will it go by voting?

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Speaking of which, and I know there is a long way to go, have you decided on an ending? will it go by voting?
    It'll go by voting. We'll cover that more indepthly when we reach it in a couple updates.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that you get enough named characters that you only need to keep your peeps Ricter gives you and recruit, like, a Hawkman and a Dragon and Deneb and hit the 16 peeps you need to get through the game. Not that certain battles won't be tense with the backup squad, but you can do it.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

From what I've seen so far, there's just no comparison between the two games when it comes to dialogue and story.

And I much prefer thoughtful, principled Ramza to confused-child Gaston.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #147

From what I've seen so far, there's just no comparison between the two games when it comes to dialogue and story.

And I much prefer thoughtful, principled Ramza to confused-child Gaston.
    I mean do keep in mind we're still technically in the part of the story where Ramza is whistling on grass and listening to Delita all but say "kill the rich, spill their blood" and being like "man I love my good friend who'll never betray me because we're both cool and nice. The world is good and not corrupt."

Incidentely in the perspective grand scheme of things...Gaston is Delita, not Ramza.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentely in the perspective grand scheme of things...Gaston is Delita, not Ramza.
    I guess that's related to what I mean by 'prefer'. I don't think I'd want to play FFT from Delita's perspective, you know?

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

29. - Top - End - #149

I guess that's related to what I mean by 'prefer'. I don't think I'd want to play FFT from Delita's perspective, you know?
    I would. Ramza's story is kinda disjointed and boring. It has good side moments but it is on the whole kinda unexciting and plodding. Delita gets into wacky crime adventures in his quest for revolution. Of course do consider that I don't LIKE FFT very much, I greatly prefer FFTA.

That's not to say by the way that Gaston won't be encountering some manner of ancient super evil or something. I won't spoil if we actually do or not, but it's pretty clear by now that Something is on the island, something more than just territory to fight over anyway.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-29 at 09:02 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Spoiler: agh
    Show
    Thats entirely up to your choices during the game, and canonically not at all. This is a prequel, after all, and who he grows up to be is as non-Delita as it gets.