New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

So, a bit of a lore question: Who in Tamriel are good horsemen?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Uh...

I don't believe anybody is actually especially good at it. The Altmer live on a bunch of islands, the Bosmer live in forests, the Khajiit ride other Khajiit, the Redguards live in a desert, the Bretons and Nords live in the mountains, the Dunmer live in, among other things, active volcanic chains, and the Argonians live in a giant swamp. The Imperials are the only ones that could even remotely benefit from having cavalry (that ride horses, anyway) but im not aware of any particular proclivity for doing so.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

A desert environment doesn't preclude horsemen though. There are numerous real world examples like Mongolians in the Gobi Desert and Berbers in the Sahara.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

And the Dunmer prefer to ride giant bugs and reptiles anyway.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    A desert environment doesn't preclude horsemen though. There are numerous real world examples like Mongolians in the Gobi Desert and Berbers in the Sahara.
    Granted, but I don't believe there are many horses native to hammerfell. They ride camels there when they need mounts, but large swaths of the desert are just generally empty and left alone by the redguards.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, now you mention it I don't think I've ever even heard of cavalry in the Elder Scrolls outside the Khajiit riding the more bestial Khajiit. I can think of quite a few in game books detailing fights between named people on foot, both for show and in actual war, but I don't recall any mention of mounted warriors, so at the very least they're a background element even in the background elements of the games.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Redguards, hands down:

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of the Yokudan Chargers
    The Gallants of Hammerfell are known far and wide as Tamriel's finest sword-wielders, but they are known equally well for their skill as riders of horses. A Redguard Gallant is nearly always depicted with a sword in one hand, and the reins of a loyal steed in the other.

And no breed of horse is more closely associated with the Knights of the Desert than the Yokudan Charger. Indeed, the Yokudan Charger is the mightiest of breeds, the pride of all who trade in horseflesh in Hammerfell. Faced with the heat and harsh terrain of the Alik'r, lesser horses falter and die, while the Yokudan Charger survives, even thrives. The Charger reacts to a challenge like his rider the Gallant: head up, nostrils flaring, ever prepared to show his or her mettle.

Here at Aswala Stables we breed and sell only Yokudan Chargers of certified descent, steeds of proven lineage that count among their forebears the horses Yaghoub the Seafarer brought in his fleet from Akos Kasaz. We are a little bit off the beaten track, but we count ourselves lucky to be situated in the awe-inspiring heart of our magnificent Alik'r Desert, and when you see the steeds we have on offer we think you'll agree it's worth the trek.

The Yokudan Charger: a grand tradition, and for us, a sacred trust. Come, accept the hospitality of Aswala Stables, and judge for yourself.
    Source.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

I apologize for changing the subject again (I have to agree Redguards most likely have the best cavalry in Tamriel, the Altmer might have their Welkynar Knights but the lore specifically says there's only 4 of those at any one time), but I'm wondering if I'm a bad player for using cheats for extra health potions in Redguard...it's not on Steam and there's no achievements to disable even if it was, so there's no active punishment to do so, but over the past few years I've been trying to cut out the instinct to cheat in the games I play.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I apologize for changing the subject again (I have to agree Redguards most likely have the best cavalry in Tamriel, the Altmer might have their Welkynar Knights but the lore specifically says there's only 4 of those at any one time), but I'm wondering if I'm a bad player for using cheats for extra health potions in Redguard...it's not on Steam and there's no achievements to disable even if it was, so there's no active punishment to do so, but over the past few years I've been trying to cut out the instinct to cheat in the games I play.
    It's a single player game. If you want to cheat, cheat, if you don't, don't. Have the experience you want to have.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    It's a single player game. If you want to cheat, cheat, if you don't, don't. Have the experience you want to have.
    Exactly. Presumably, you're playing this for the story and entertainment. Do what entertains you.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you're cheating because otherwise the game is too hard for you, then you are an unskilled player and if you would feel better by not feeling the need to cheat to progress through the game, then you might want to improve your skill factor. Other than that, a single-player game without achievements played purely for yourself is just that - played purely for yourself, so continue to play the game however you like.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Well, if you're cheating because otherwise the game is too hard for you, then you are an unskilled player and if you would feel better by not feeling the need to cheat to progress through the game, then you might want to improve your skill factor.
    That has to be the most roundabout way of saying he should "get good" that I've ever seen...

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

If he feels bad about needing to cheat, he has three options: carry on feeling bad, stop feeling bad (however he does so, maybe by appreciating that he's playing for himself, not anyone else) or learn how to take less damage in-game. There aren't really many other options.

Hell, I don't like cheating in games either, so I try to avoid being in the situation where I might feel the need to blatantly cheat, some of which might involve simply doing better, but often not. I still play only to suit myself though.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

I mean why you're 'cheating' is important. Are you cheating so you can play through and see the story? Cheating because Area X is too hard? Or because you just feel like running around invincible, goofing off?

I mean, I wanted to see the storyline in Oblivion, so I made a spell to help me. Unfortunately, it was impossible to cast outside of TGM.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Firbolg in the Playground

The question is whether getting good would actually improve the game experience. I have never played Redguard, but what I have heard is that its control system is pretty damn clunky, and a downgraded version of Tomb Raider's with some fixed lag between button press and actual action, a rather odd decision for a game featuring combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

From what I recall, Redguard is based on the same engine as Daggerfall, and combat...wasn't great in that game. The problem is that it was a very old-school RPG where there was a hidden "to hit" roll being made to see if your weapon actually connected, so it was very easy at low levels to get a "whiff" where you swung your weapon, hit the enemy square on, but did no damage.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    From what I recall, Redguard is based on the same engine as Daggerfall, and combat...wasn't great in that game.
    Considering that Redguard is an early 3D game, I consider that fairly unlikely.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Considering that Redguard is an early 3D game, I consider that fairly unlikely.
    Except in this case, 'tis true. They're both XnGine games. Daggerfall was 1996, Battlespire (originally an expansion) was 1997, and Redguard was 1998. They all used the same engine. They moved to Gamebyro with Morrowind, and have been building on that ever since. Which explains a lot about why the modern games are starting to have serious problems.

For the record, Morrowind also used hidden dice rolls. It wasn't until Oblivion that a true WYSIWYG combat system was introduced.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I stand corrected. I couldn't picture Daggerfall and Redguard as working on the same system. I was aware that Morrowind has hidden dice rolls, of course. It's part of why its combat is so clunky.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I stand corrected. I couldn't picture Daggerfall and Redguard as working on the same system. I was aware that Morrowind has hidden dice rolls, of course. It's part of why its combat is so clunky.
    The Morrowind combat system always reminds me of the hopeful orphan in sad children stories. Only, instead of "if I am really good, then maybe Mom will come back", you have "I just must aim really really well, and then I will hit the cliff racer".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

On another note, if I'm going to seriously replay Morrowind... well, I'm going to need mods, a lot of them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course. I'd recommend keeping the numbers few, but making those mods have the greatest effect. Thus I'd suggest Tamriel Rebuilt, Morrowind Rebirth, Rise of House Telvanni, Westly's Master Headpack X, Graphic Herbalism and Better Clothes. Pick any other mods to suit those.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Of course. I'd recommend keeping the numbers few, but making those mods have the greatest effect. Thus I'd suggest Tamriel Rebuilt, Morrowind Rebirth, Rise of House Telvanni, Westly's Master Headpack X, Graphic Herbalism and Better Clothes. Pick any other mods to suit those.
    Are those purely cosmetic mods, or do they alter mechanics as well?

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Rebirth is a kitchen sink of a mod - balancing changes, new items, town and wilderness overhauls, whatever you'll mention, it probably has it. Unfortunately, all too often the town additions are made after the whole area gets completely flattened...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Are those purely cosmetic mods, or do they alter mechanics as well?
    A purely cosmetic mod would be something like Westly's Master Headpack or Better Clothes. Tamriel Rebuilt doesn't change mechanics, but adds the rest of Morrowind, so it's definitely not cosmetic-only. You may want to be more specific in your questions.

MW Rebirth does change a hell of a lot, but it does it with a single mod. You can always tweak the altered mechanics and so on with other mods laid on top of that, if you feel so inclined.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Spamalot in the Playground

Started playing the Skyrim mod Forgotten City and so far it's pretty neat. Basically plays out a mystery of what killed everyone in a little hidden away settlement. I think what I like best is the variety of voices provided the NPCs in the mod. It's nice to hear more than the same 3-4 people in the base game. XD

The quality of the voices is mixed, but for a free mod that made some effort, I find it still passable.

Unrelated, my companion Shiira just killed a dude. I was up on a cliff edge talking to this guy and Shiira just walks up to him and keeps walking to shove him over the edge. I had to laugh. That was the kind of random NPC pathfinding that makes the game funny to play. Luckily I did save not long before and could retry that.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

A purely cosmetic mod would be something like Westly's Master Headpack or Better Clothes. Tamriel Rebuilt doesn't change mechanics, but adds the rest of Morrowind, so it's definitely not cosmetic-only. You may want to be more specific in your questions.

MW Rebirth does change a hell of a lot, but it does it with a single mod. You can always tweak the altered mechanics and so on with other mods laid on top of that, if you feel so inclined.
    You're right that I've been very vague, but it's been so long since I played Morrowind that it's hard for me to say what I'm after. If MW Rebirth changes a lot, I might just try it and see what happens. I do prefer a few larger mods than a truckload of smaller ones.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Spamalot in the Playground

The mod's decent, but I dunno that it has the potential for a full game. Eh, good luck to them I guess.

Spoiler: Forgotten City ending thoughts
    Show
    I read that the mod has a few endings. I got the best one I think, where you go under the city and confront the arbiter. I did doom the city once though. Mostly out of frustration, but by luck I think that was actually a valid move since you get to reset your visit to try again, but keep all the stuff you loot.

Anyway, I didn't like the Arbiter encounter. This one dwemer left behind spent two centuries trying to run this city under his law and killing every cycle of settlers? I don't know why he thought he would eventually get it right. I guess he was insane, but I dunno. Maybe it would work better if the Arbiter was a machine programmed to do the job. Someone with the ability to reason should have picked up that their law idea wasn't working. Don't know why it took the dragonborn to do it.

Yeah, probably was insane.

Also, the rewards at the end are kinda eh? The pristine dwarven armor is probably never getting use (personally I don't like the texture of it either). The speech amulet was alright, but Im level 40 and speech checks are easy for me now. I managed to pass all the checks to defeat the Arbiter without a fight. Other than those two bits, the mod was still alright. Atmosphere is good and the quest is pretty straightforward to follow.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

After thinking about it some more, I think that one specific thing I'd be after in Morrowind mods is something that alters the combat system. Make a bit less janky and "click on enemies until they die". Has anyone tried any such mods?