New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default M&M advice for overpowered sensory abilities

my playgroup has done mutants and masterminds one time, however when we ran it one player spent a good chunk of his points gaining an insainly powerful sensory telepathy such that he would be able to sense anyone approaching him from a hundred yards away, and another player build perfect sensory technopathy. He could track any electronic and sense and interact with them from about 100 yards away. They together prese. Ted the issue of magic being the only way to suprise them. But they acted subtlety enough that no one should have been preparing for them specifically. How do you challenge a group like that, or if we tried the system again what build restrictions would you recommend to avoid a similar problem in the future?
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: M&M advice for overpowered sensory abilities

well it depends on the type of game you want to run but in general with that group i would let them not be surprised, and simply not base adventures around being surprised. When your designing adventures you could put in bad guys who try and surprise them and fail to make them feel special but for the most part just have no surprise attacks.

second just to clarify since it is telepathic in nature he can sense people but can he sense intentions? You can see the people in a crowd but that doesn't help you if you dont know one of them is going to attack and the rest are civilians.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: M&M advice for overpowered sensory abilities

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    well it depends on the type of game you want to run but in general with that group i would let them not be surprised, and simply not base adventures around being surprised.
    Pretty much this. M&M makes avoiding surprise really easy. You don't need expensive powers, either-- the Uncanny Dodge Advantage and Senses 1 (Danger Sense) do the same thing for 2 points total, if you feel the need to pick them both up. Besides, 100 yards? 100 yards is nothing. That's distance rank 4. That's barely more than close range for a PL 10 power. It doesn't matter if you can pick someone up within 300ft when they can cross that distance in the blink of an eye and hit you before you can react.

But ultimately, M&M is a game that requires cooperation between players and GMs. If someone puts together a combination of powers that you feel will be too disruptive, you're well within your rights to ask them to tone it down.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use