New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

wink courses or online tutors

Decided to raise the level of knowledge in some subjects. What do you think are better and more effective courses or online tutors?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: courses or online tutors

Kinda curious on this one. trying to get some certifications.

I guess the best way to find out is grab the related info (a surprising amount of knowledge is available for free), study on your own for 30 days and then run a "test at the end" that shows what you know.

if you think you got a handle, go right for the courses.

otherwise try a tutor.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What subjects? And what level of knowledge in those subjects? What's your comfort with online learning and your preferred learning style?

IF you are good with online learning and like video lecture format and you are looking for primary or secondary level math, Khan Academy is great. But if you need hands on learning and are interested in genetic engineering, that's going to be a different suggestion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

How do you learn best? That is what it really depends on. The way I learn about subjects is to try to pick up a book, or preferably a free pdf of one, and read that. If that is unavailable, I look at academic papers on the subject, and use Wikipedia to fill in gaps. You may prefer video lectures, or some other method. The important thing is, once you start learning something, practice.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Check your local library, and, if you're in a small town, check the nearest big libraries. At least in Texas, I know San Antonio Public Library and Houston Public Library both have access to a variety of courses on a lot of different subjects, with just your library card and internet service.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I've heard Khan Academy, a free online resource, is great for learning mathematics. It might also cover a lot of other areas, but I think it's geared towards an advanced high school or early-level college level of skill. Not sure if it goes into advanced or specific fields.

I think there's lots of free or cheap training on programming.

That's about all I know of.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

They have different purposes. Neither can replace the other.

Tutoring is a good way to learn a specific thing you wish to learn. Courses are a way to learn a defined set of knowledge, along with a measure of how well you have learned it, for the purpose of demonstrating to others your command of that set of material. No resemblance.

Jay R, Ph.D., professional tutor and teacher of courses

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

It depends on the subject you want to learn. I found some good and interesting courses on Coursera and Skillshare. There are different topic and subjects you can find.