New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Post [IC] Exploration of Yrannia [Pathfinder 1E] [E6]

Exploration of Yrania

For a hundred years, the surfacefolk had heard tell of the undead roaming the deep roads and the underdark. For a hundred years, the surfacefolk allowed the dwarves to wage a losing war against the undead. For a hundred years, the surfacefolk dispassionately watched as every dwarven city slowly fell silent. For a hundred years, the surfacefolk turned a blind eye to the problems that plagued the dwarves and the deep roads. After a hundred years, the undead roiled to the surface. Like pus from an infected wound, the undead burst forth from the hulking ruins of the once great dwarven cities. Zombies swept across the land, indiscriminately slaughtering everything, and everyone, they came into contact with.

It is said the surfacefolk could have lent aid to the dwarves during what came to be called the Hundred Year Retreat. Even a small amount of men and material would have turned the tide. The surfacefolk’s casual indifference doomed themselves, just as much as it had doomed the dwarves. When the undead washed across the land, the surfacefolk kingdoms could have banded together. They could have fought side by side, and easily defeated the unliving scourge. Yet, they allowed their petty hatreds and politics to blind them. They allowed their sister kingdoms to fall one by one, just as they had allowed the dwarven cities to fall. Only at the end did the kingdoms try to mount a defense, only at the end did they care to try and stop the inevitable undead victory…

A decade before the surfacefolk kingdoms fell, the last dwarven King - Ewan - had gathered together all the dwarves he could find. High up in the Ridgeback Mountains - a contested, lawless borderland betwixt the great powers of the continent - the King and his subjects excovated a long-forgotten, ancient dwarven city. The city was originally created in a time before the ancient dwarves had connected their great cities via the deep roads. This city would thus be free of the ever looming threat of the undead scourge that had destroyed the dwarven civilization. King Ewan named the rediscovered city Dun Danachad, or in the common tongue, Fort Destiny. He declared his new city’s purpose to serve as a new homeland for all of the dwarven survivors. A place where the race could start over, start fresh, begin anew.

A decade later, the undead arrived on the surface. King Ewan looked on in dismay as the surfacefolk races did not band together. They instead treated the undead as a nuisance, something left for enterprising adventurers or small bands of virtuous knights. Hardly a threat worthy of the mighty surfacefolk armies… It was only too late that the surfacefolk kings realized the magnitude of the threat. It was only too late that they realized they had allowed their own pettiness and shortsightedness to doom themselves.

King Ewan looked on in pity as the surfacefolk, like his own people, became refugees. The King invited as many survivors as he could to his city. Hundreds ventured to Dun Danachad, arriving from places both near and far. As the undead horde scoured the valleys of the borderland, King Ewan made the fateful decision to close shut the gates of the city, thus sealing it off from the rest of the world. None could enter, and none could leave.

Over the next two hundred years, the society of Dun Danachad solidified, with the dwarven nobility at the top, the dwarf commoners beneath them, and the non-dwarf surfacefolk beneath them. The non-Dwarves became farmers, servants, peasants and beggars. They occupied the bottom rung of society. Life was hard and unforgiving but it was still preferable to life outside, where zombies and skeletons roamed the land, always on the prowl to slay the living…

Two hundred years passed, with the people of Dun Danachad completely cut off from the happenings of the outside world. Two hundred years of isolation had made the society complacent... Then the dragon came.

No one knows why the dragon came to Dun Danachad, or how it was able to so easily burst through the solid stone walls of the city. Yet came it did. The city was caught completely unawares. The dragon slashed, raked, bit and chewed his way through guardsmen, army men and peasants alike. His acidic breath weapon melted stone and flesh with ease. The king ordered the city to be evacuated. His last words still ring in your ears:

“Tha’ dragon ain’t goin’ away. Yer survival is all I care about. Only death awaits ye if ye stay in Dun Danachad. Aye, tha’ surface world may be overrun wit’ undead but at least ye would ‘ave a fightin’ chance ta’ survive out in tha’ wilderness. Me an’ my King’s Guard will distract tha’ dragon. Now, run, run away and never return. I beg ye, take all you can carry and flee..”

You rush along the King's Road, the main thoroughfare of the city. The road leads from the noble's quarter (from whence King Ewan commanded that you evacuate the city), over a bridge, into the merchant's quarter and then snakes its way up hill into a narrow system of tunnels that will eventually lead to the city gate.

As you cross the Queen's Bridge, that spans the great chasm, a mighty roar thunders through the massive cave in which the city was constructed. Swooping high in the sky is a dragon whose scales are as black as darkness itself. The dragon lets slip a blast of gooey acid that melts a contingent of orcish guards not thirty feet behind you. The acidic odor of burning flesh penetrates your nostrils. It is a scent you will not easily forget. The dragon dives down and rakes two dwarves. Blood and entrails spill out from three gnarled cuts. They try to scream but they are batted off the side of the bride by the merest flick of the dragon's tail. So deep is the chasm, it takes several seconds before you hear their bodies crash into the earth. The beast turns around and devours a third dwarf, a nobleman of some renown - Niall the Wordsmith - the greatest living poet in Dun Danachad. The poor dwarf is swallowed whole. His terrified screams drowned out by the dragon's gullet.

Then with one might beat of his wings, the dragon rushes back up into the air. The guards and the militia standing on the other side of the bridge pelt the beast with arrows and bolts but such weapons prove useless as they bounce off the dragon's scales. It is like they are throwing balls of yarn at a stone wall. You do not think he even realizes he is being attacked by the most skilled archers and crossbowmen in the realm. As you make it across the Queen's bridge, the dragon spits out another blast of acid, this time hitting one of the bridge's struts... The bridge creeks and groans. You turn around and try to grab people who are still crossing. You manage to save a handful before the bridge snaps and falls into the chasm, dooming at least a hundred souls to their deaths...

As you continue up the King's Road, you enter the merchant's quarter. You are surrounded by panicked people. Some are screaming, overwhelmed by the fear of an inevitable death at the hands of a dragon; others scream because they cannot find their loved ones; still others scream because all they know is slowly but inexorably being destroyed. Looters abound in the merchant square. They have busted down doors and have filled their pockets, bags and satchels with all they can. The fools steal finery, like gold and silver items. The practical loot food, supplies, weapons... As you look around the Merchant's Quarter, a dwarf noble and a contingent of dwarves, orcs and elves race by you. Their cart, being pulled by domesticated capybaras, is filled with supplies like shovels, ropes, barrels of ale and ten, no eleven, elven children. The group rushes past you with great haste, never once looking back.

As you near the edge of the city proper, you look up and see the Temple of the Gods, up on a prominence, jutting out of the cave walls like a balcony. The priests and priestesses are rushing down the narrow, winding staircase that leads down to the King's Road. A panicked dwarf in a cart starts screaming, "OUT OF THE WAY! OUT OF THE WAY!" His screams are drowned out by the roars of the dragon. You watch in horror as twelve people are run over. They are trampled under foot by domesticated llamas and crushed under the wagon's wheels. Their screams, like the yells from the cart's driver before, go unheard as the dragon looms overhead, coating the temple with a thick layer of acid.

An aasimar paladin stands atop the roof of the temple. It is Sir Cullen! His long blond hair billows out from head as the dragon hovers in front of him! Sir Cullen is the greatest warrior in the city. He has won every tournament since he came of age. He is a peerless archer, an unparalleled swordsman and one of the greatest singers in the whole realm. He is almost as beloved by the masses as the King... Sir Cullen calls out, "BEGONE, FOUL LOATHSOME BEAST! FOR I AM SIR CULLEN OF DUN DANACHAD! YOUR DARK POWERS SHALL NOT AVAIL YOU! I SHALL SMOTE YOU AND SAVE MY BELOVED CITY!" Clasping his golden bastard sword with two hands, he whispers an incantation, "Guím ar na déithe, línigh mo chlaíomh lasair agus tabhair dom an neart chun an ollphéist seo a bhualadh!" A swirl of magic surrounds the blade. An instant later, it bursts aflame with golden fire.

With a running start, Sir Cullen leaps off of the temple's roof and tries to drive his blade into the dragon's head... The dragon reacts with lighting fast reflexes... Faster than anything you have ever seen before. With his powerful claw he snatches the paladin mid-air, then slams his muzzle down, enveloping Sir Cullen's upper body. With a bone snapping crunch and heart wrenching tear, the dragon bisects the paladin. He swallows Sir Cullen's upper half, then flings the lower half away... It lands about thirty feet from you. Blood pools out of the waist-and-legs, slicking the ground with the life-essence of a once great man...

You make your way up the King's Road. The wide avenue slowly narrows as you enter a network of tunnels... After what feels like a life time of running, you can see the first glimmer of... Daylight! Your legs are pushed on wards, knowing that freedom is within grasp...

You burst through the city gate that had been torn down by the dragon and burst into the world of the surface. You have lived your entire lives under ground, the sun's brightness is intense, almost beyond imagining. The stories could never do it justice. The sun's rays are... Warm, hot even. Like standing next to a hearth. Beads of sweat form on your brow. As your eyes adjust, you find that you are on the side of a mountain, overlooking a great, forested valley. The road from the city gate branches in three directions. You see a large group of over fifty people heading down the path that goes south. You see two dwarves - nobles by the look of it - directing traffic, as best they can. Some listen and head east, while others head west. Most pay the dwarves no heed as simply run for it, preferring to trek down the side of the mountain rather than use one of the three roads. Beside the two dwarves is another dwarf noble. An arrow was buried into his skull. Several others, humans, for the most part, are laying on the ground. Dead, presumably, having been trampled by people, wagons and animals. Some might be alive but there is not time to save them. Fleeing is all that matters...

The band of six survivors now stand upon the precipice of destiny... What shall they do...?
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-09-17 at 03:26 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Exploration of Yrannia [Pathfinder 1E] [E6]

Evelyn

"...Well, ****."

These are the first words out of Evelyn's mouth, as she stands at the mouth of the tunnel. She's not a tall woman, and in fact is fairly short, all things considered. Her hair is jet black, and her skin quite pale, though certainly anyone's would be after an encounter so harrowing.

"...I mean... ****."

Though her glasses make her eyes seem many times larger, she doesn't seem to attempt to take in her new surroundings; it doesn't seem to matter that this is the first any have seen the outside world. She's dressed in a yellow smock, accessorized a green beret and matching scarf. These were gifts from a friend once. Were they alive still? Were they still trapped in the city? And what of her mother? Would she see her again?

"... HOLY ****!"

Evelyn yells this time. It seems that even a mind as potentially vast as hers can be utterly thrown through a loop, and as she begins to put the pieces together, she has to sit down for fear her legs give out from under her. She's holding something, a human form swaddled in brown cloth, though certainly larger than any mere babe. It seems so heavy in this moment, and though on some level she understands that they aren't yet safe, she doubts that she could move again for a few minutes yet, either. She sits by the road, cradling her charge in her lap, and cradling her head in her hands. Yes, it will be a while before she can move again.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-01-06 at 01:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vaughn

Vaughn staggers out into the sun, shielding his eyes from the brighness of the sun. He stops as his vision clears, surveying the landscape around him. It was incredible--he'd never really imagined what the surface might look like. It was far too open, far too bright. And, if the stories were to be believed, a place of death.

He turned back toward the refugees making their way out of the ruined gates. No better than in there. Nothing but death in Dun Danachad now. He blinked, the welling tears not entirely due to the brightness. Khartia, the twins... Bromm... this mass of people struggling to get out, trampling one another... He wanted nothing more than to go back in, see who else he could help. He'd done whatever he could for anyone around him as he'd escaped anyway.

The house was empty when I got there. Mother probably already had the twins out. No point in going the way of Sir Cullen needlessly.

Instead, the big, scarred orc turns to the smaller woman sitting near the gates. He offers her a smile and a hand. "Come on," he tells her. "It's not safe here. Let's keep moving until we've got more distance between us and that beast."
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2019-01-06 at 06:24 PM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelyn

"I'm not certain that my legs will support me, Mister," Evelyn muttered back, "Six years of research. Six years of my life all gone. Poof!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Aella

"Huff.... huff..."

Another orc stumbles out into the sun, her eyes squinting against the glare as she gasps for air, collapsing to the ground. It's a small miracle she managed to make it out, considering the amount of equipment and weapons she is carrying. After a minute or so catching her breath, she stands up using her pole-arm for support. She stands almost as tall as Vaughn, and her armor, though old, is impressive. "I made it... I made it..." the orc breathes out, "I'll do as you asked, mother. For the clan."

She looks around at the five others still standing (or sitting or lying) at the mouth of the cave. Her expression is stern. "We should get moving, people. You do *not* want to be here when that dragon decides to come out. Do not let the king's sacrifice be in vain. Do not let the King's Guard's sacrifice be in vain." Taking another deep breath, the orc puts her right fist to her chest and makes a small bow in the others' general direction. "No time for long introductions. I'm Aella, formerly of the King's Guard. I can protect you out here, but we need to make haste. I want to put at least a day's travel between myself and this cave."
    Characters in play:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalia

Daedalia blinks himself out of his stupor slowly. Though his body was standing on the surface, his mind was still back inside the mountain. With his sisters, who he could only hope had gotten out in front of him. With his mother, whose spellbook was squirreled away in his pack. He didn't have much in the lone sack he tugged along. He was wearing armor that wasn't his over top of his work clothes - the skimpy, sheer fabric not doing much except covering his decency. He had been working when the dragon attacked, and the man he'd been with... well. Apparently had some sense of chivalry, and had handed the small tiefling whore the ratty leather and insisted he get out. Was that man, nameless in Daedalia's memory, dead, as well?

They are standing in sunlight, now, and warily the crimson gaze settles on the orc that speaks above them all. A King's Guard. Since when had the King's Guard ever cared about him? But, he has to admit, sticking with a group would serve him far better than striking it out on his own. He had done well on his own before, sure. But his trade had relied heavily on other people's involvement. Even if he had to pay his way, so to speak, for the protection of strong warriors... it wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen to him.

Slinging his bag over his shoulder, he offers no verbal reply to Aella, only a firm nod as he looks down the mountain.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-01-06 at 06:19 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vaughn

Vaughn turns to look as the guardswoman and the oddly-dressed tiefling stumble out of the city after him. The tiefling doesn't seem interested in chatting, but he nods in response to the orc. "My name is Vaughn. Well met, Aella." He returns his attention to the woman sitting by the road. "It's not all gone. Not yet. But she's right--we don't know when that dragon might decide to come back out, so best get as far away as possible as quick as possible. Here, I'll help you up."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

One of the dwarf nobles who had been directing traffic walks over to the latest group of survivors, "You can go east or west. Cannot advice going south. Just saw about fifty people head down that way. They had very little food, which means they will be hunting game, lots of it, to feed that many souls. Best to steer clear of them, so you have the best chance of surviving."

He takes a deep puff of his pipe then adds, "The road east leads to the city of Gwenna. It was a free city, one of many out here in the Borderlands. Best I can recall from the books I read, it was famous for its temple dedicated to Rianag, and its amphitheater. Aspiring playwrights from across the land would study with the masters of the craft in Gwenna. The city was founded at the confluence of three great rivers and served as the major trading hub for the north-central Borderlands.

To the west is Isbeall, which was once a powerful tiefling city state, that is until the aasimar crusaders attacked the city and butchered the tieflings. After the slaughter, a new population settled in, mostly human. Over time, it became famous for its many fountains and gambling dens. Isbeall was founded in the middle of a oval-shaped valley, hemmed in one three sides by the mountains and hills. The Lizardfolk, in ancient times, cultivated a great pine forest there... Well until the Tieflings moved in and slaughtered them (ironic that they themselves were wiped out as well, I suppose).

No one has ever left Dun Danachad in over two hundred and fifty years. Last we heard both cities had fallen to the undead. Who knows if they are even standing. Still, gives you an idea of where you might be headed."

He takes another puff of his pipe. You can easily tell that he is as shaken up as anyone else here but he is trying his best to hold it together long enough to help the survivors flee.

Spoiler: Aella and anyone who hand dealings with nobles on the regular
    Show
    You recognize this dwarf as Mal O'Finn, a relatively minor noble from the O'Finn clan. They recently clawed their way up into the King's good graces by way of a marriage between Mal's son and the King's niece. He is an honorable, if ambitious, man.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-01-18 at 05:06 PM.
    DMing:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalia

"Water... we should head towards the water," Daedalia suggests, looking to the others. He's not particularly keen on going to a land of slaughtered tieflings - though he does pay close attention to how the others react to such a story. If they seem indifferent, or worse, pleased by the tale, he'll have to watch his back. Of course, that wasn't anything new. "The confluence of three major rivers means easy traveling, if we can figure out how to sail," he points out.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Frederick W. Norman

The older scribe abruptly steps out of his stupor. His mind had been racing so fast that he missed most of the conversations going on around him and only caught a bit of what the noble was saying. He straighten's himself upright, as much as his arthritis will allow. "I agree with Daedalia. Water will be important, nay, necessary, for our survival. Though, If there are genocidal tieflings, I think they maybe of the undead variety."

The old scribe finds himself wishing he had taken the time to get at least one blank book, quill, and inkwell, but alas, he did not. He should certainly be recording everything he is seeing. No one he knows had witnessed the overworld in what, 240-250 years?
    Last edited by Pelor; 2019-01-06 at 08:27 PM.
    "If you get yourself killed trying to rule the world, I will personally break every bone in your body."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalia

The tiefling's pointed ears seem to perk up at the sound of his own name, and his gaze snaps to the older gentleman with some measure of unease. He hadn't yet given his name to the others. So the human had to know him from somewhere else. Daedalia didn't recognize him immediately, but that wasn't a total surprise. He certainly couldn't remember every single face and body he'd serviced. Of course, he didn't know for certain, then, if he had worked for this man before. Perhaps he had known one of Daedalia's sisters? Darkly-painted lips pulled into a frown, and he looked away.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelyn

The small woman continues to sit for a little bit, before looking up and considering the orc offering to help her up. She doesn't really know what to say; she doesn't want to be a burden, but she also doesn't want to turn down the kindness of a stranger and potential ally. She glances up at the sky above, and over the natural horizon. She stares at his outstretched hand for a few seconds, gingerly reaching up, hesitating, before finally taking it. He's stronger than she first thought, and she stumbles getting to her feet, but she remains standing.

She adjusts her glasses quickly, considering the decision at hand while attempting not to drop her charge, "U- uhm... It seems to me that... a city would almost certainly be an inordinately dangerous hub of undead activity, perhaps more trouble than visiting would be worth. Since those are where the most people died, I think it stands to reason that that is where the greatest concentration of risen would be."

She breaks off, and casts her gaze into the distance before continuing, "O- of course, it has been a hundred years or more, so it could also stand to reason that they've mostly dispersed out into the wilderness at this point. I couldn't know that for certain, though."
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-01-06 at 11:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Charlie stumbles out not long behind the others, clutching a small black cat to her chest. Whether it's smoke tearing at her throat, the sudden blinding light of the sun, or just plain shock from having her world ripped away from her driving her to silence, she stands stock still through most of the other's discussion.

After a long time frozen like that, the cat looks up and gently headbutts her. This seemingly shocks her back into wakefulness, and she finally speaks up to say "Water. Definitely towards water. Things grow by it. Fish live in it. We'll need it to survive."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalia

The appearance of the second tiefling seems to calm Daedalia down a little bit, but he frowns at the sight of the cat. Not that he thought taking care of such a creature would make their lives any more difficult, but... his hand went to the small satchel at his side. He found Ferris hiding inside - where Daedalia had tucked him before the mad sprint through the city. He scratches the soft fur behind his pet rat's ears, holding still with Ferris gives a few inquisitive nibbles on the tip of his finger before climbing onto Daedalia's wrist. With a sigh, the tiefling pulls his hand back from the satchel, and clutches the tiny animal to his chest. After everything that's just happened, he knows it's a strange thing to worry about. But he can't help the question. "You'll keep that cat from eating Ferris, won't you?" he asks.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Five more people stagger out of the city, huffing and puffing. The dwarf noble greets them and tells them about what they might expect when heading east and west. After some discussion, the new group decides to head east, towards the forest, citing the fact that it will be easier to hide from the undead as they can climb the trees... The band of five people head off with great haste.

As you stand around the entrance to the city, you can hear the faint roars from the dragon, and the screams of those whom is he murdering...
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalia

Without waiting for an answer to his question, Daedalia shakes himself. What were they doing, just standing here in shock? Without any further preamble, the tiefling turns towards the west and starts down the road.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-01-07 at 01:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Aella

Aella nods. "Water is good. Let's head to the city, see if we can find anything that'll help us survive these lands." And then Daedalia decides to get moving. "The boy has the right idea. Let's get moving. Can everyone walk?"
    Characters in play:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelyn

"Y- yeah, gimme a sec."

Evelyn whispers to her ward, before shifting it up to her shoulder, where it climbs over and begins riding piggyback; as it grabs her shoulders it reveals a set of very clammy, bony fingers. Evelyn herself looks about for a minute, finding a piece of errant lumber suitable for a walking stick. She shakes her head, unable to keep her mind off of the carnage behind them, and finally sighs, "Alright, I'm ready."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The party treks off to the west along a lonely road that few, if any, have trod upon in centuries. The weather outside is blisteringly hot, easily ninety degrees. Considering you are used to living underground, where temperatures are cool but constant, this heat is bewildering and unbearable. The road slowly becomes narrower and narrower as you head away from the city gate. After about an hour of travel, the path becomes hemmed in on two sides by cliffs. It looks as if this section was originally carved out of the mountain by a river (that has since dried up). As the road snakes its way through the mountain, you hear a scream from down the path. "HELP! HELP!" It sounds like a woman and a child.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-01-07 at 03:47 PM.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Daedalia

Feeling slightly relieved that his clothing was so light, it almost seemed like Daedalia was best dressed for the weather on the surface. Still, his face was flushed and he wished he'd had time to grab more water before the retreat... hopefully they weren't too, too far from the rivers that were supposed to lay in this direction.
    And then, there's screaming from ahead. The tiefling's posture tightens, and with a quick flick of his wrists, two sharp daggers fall from his sleeves and into his hands.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelyn

Evelyn shakes her head, muttering "Oh, oh dear oh dear. It's already begun. There's not going to be anything left soon, I just know it."
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-01-07 at 06:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Frederick W. Norman

Frederick hears the screams and instantly begins digging in his pack for something to use as a weapon. He mostly comes across cooking utensils, a pot, a pearing knife, a fork, a cup... alas, his heavy cast iron skillet is the best he will have. He picks it up puts the pack back on his back. "We should see if there is any way we can help." Without waiting he sets off down the path at a rather slow rate, due in part for his paying attention and in part because of his lack of agility.
    "If you get yourself killed trying to rule the world, I will personally break every bone in your body."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The party hurredly rushes down the path. As they near the location from which they hear the screaming, they come across a light brown alpaca. Alpacas were often used in Dun Danachad, down in the fungal fields, as beasts of burden. However, this alpaca is gangly and thin, bordering on sickly... As it turns around to face the party, you see a plethora of wounds across its left flank. Parts of its intestines have slipped out of its frame, and now dangle below him. Maggots squirm under his skin, while centipedes crawl in and out of his wounds. The left half of his face looks to have been ripped off, quite painfully, exposing his putrid-colored skull.

Spoiler: Fear
    Show
    If the attack hits, you will be shaken for (1d4)[4] rounds

Aella (1d20+3)[18] v Will
    Charlie (1d20+3)[21] v Will
    Daedalia (1d20+3)[7] v Will
    Evelyn (1d20+3)[12] v Will
    Frederick (1d20+3)[18] v Will
    Vaughn (1d20+3)[15] v Will

I updated the sheet. Looks like everyone but Daedalia and Evelyn are shaken.

Spoiler: Alpaca
    Show
    For reference, this is what a living Alpaca looks like:

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    We are in Initiative now. All of the players go first, then the zombie alpacas. There is no set order for this fight. First to post is first to go :)
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-01-08 at 10:48 AM.
    DMing:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Evelyn

"Oh my..." Evelyn trails off, but doesn't waste any time. This is not the first time she has encountered the dead, and, despite her apprehensions, she has enough experience to immediately reach for her crossbow and slot a bolt into place. Though, she does take a subtle step back as she does so. Experience doesn't mean confidence, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She'll spend a move action to draw her crossbow and another to load it. She also makes a knowledge (nature) to identify the alpaca...
    (1d20+5)[24]
    ... and takes a 10 on knowledge (religion), giving her an 18

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the others mostly freeze in place, Daedalia grits his teeth and jumps to the front of the group, leaving his sack of possessions behind him. He moves with a grace and confidence in his body, seeming conscious and careful of every movement he makes. One dagger flies forward, seeking to bury into the creature's neck.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe two-weapon fighting is an attack action, not a full round action? Rules just say I get an extra attack per round, nothing about how long that takes, from what I can find. After some digging, that would take a full round action. And I'm not sure if the alpaca is considered flatfooted or not - so the sneak attack damage only goes if flatfooted.

Primary Hand - (1d20+1)[15] EDIT: Without the penalty for TWF, this roll is now a 17.
    Damage - (1d4)[1]
    Sneak - (1d8)[1]
    Spoiler: In Case of Crit (19 or 20)
    Show
    Confirm - (1d20+1)[6]
    Extra Damage - (1d4)[1]

Off Hand - (1d20+1)[12]
    Damage - (1d4)[4]
    Sneak - (1d8)[1]

Spoiler: In Case of Crit (19 or 20)
    Show
    Confirm - (1d20+1)[17]
    Extra Damage - (1d4)[3]
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-01-08 at 03:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vaughn

When he hears the cries for help, Vaughn rushes forward immediately. The undead alpacas cause him to draw back in disgust and shock, freezing him in place for a moment. The tiefling seems unfazed, though, and leaps forward to attack the creature. Vaughn shakes himself out of his shock and moves forward with a roar, trying to steady his own nerves as much as anything else. He takes a slightly reluctant blow at the disgusting creature.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving forward and making an unarmed attack (ew)
    Using Combat Expertise--increases AC to 15, and since I have a trait (threatening defender) which reduces the attack penalty it has no effect on my attack roll
    Attack: (1d20+2)[8] (this does take into account the -2 for being shaken)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

-----

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Evelyn
    Show
    You know that Alpacas are generally docile creatures, but they can be aggressive when spooked. They are known to spit and kick.

You also know that these are zombies and as such slashing weapons are the most useful against them.
    DMing:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Aella

With her heavy armor, it takes Aella a bit longer to rush to the scene. And when she gets there she's horrified by the sight of the undead creature. Still, there is no time to be afraid, and so she steps forward, getting just into attack range of her polearm. She brings down the spike with all her might, not really looking as she does so.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move action to C6 (15 ft)
    Standard action to attack (w/ power attack & shaken: -3 atk, +3 dmg)

Attack: (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[12]

She hits, but the spike does not do nearly as much damage as expected. "What? How did that not kill it?!"
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2019-01-08 at 04:33 PM.
    Characters in play:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Charlie

The hideous appearance of the alpaca makes Charlie retch in disgust and turn half away. She thrusts a clawed hand at the zombie as her cat's eyes light up unnaturally, but whatever magic she was trying to work apparently has not.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The woman and child continue to scream, "HELP US! HELP US! SAVE MY HUSBAND!" You can hear the loud grunts and groans of a desperate man fighting for his life as several baying alpacas attack him...

Meanwhile, the party is vexed by a lone alpaca. He cannot reach Aella, and so focuses in on the poor tiefling. The alpaca turns around and slams his back feet into Daedalia!

To the south, the party can see three more undead alpacas coming around a bend and heading right for the party!

Spoiler
    Show
    Kick attack v Daedalia: (1d20+2)[7] // (1d4+1)[4]
    DMing: