New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How can the devil reincarnate himself in the modern world without being noticed?

The devil is alive, and he walks among you.

Eons ago, there was a battle between a powerful deity and a devil from the nine realms of hell. The losing devil, to avoid being killed, broke himself apart into many small pieces. These would be absorbed by children in utero, where the deity could hide and avoid being detected. These children would become the first immortals, where the spirit would manifest when they were killed. Various other immortals would be born throughout the millenias, until all of the devil's remains would be amongst humanity.

Whenever immortals meet, they would be compelled to fight each other 1-on-1 in IMMORTAL KONFLICT! They are transported to a mirror universe that is a reflection of the mortal world. There, they fight to the death to rock music playing in the background with swords, which are an extension of their inner soul and can be summoned or hidden at will by the user. The only way to kill an immortal is to perform a fatality by cutting off their head. Afterwhich, their bodies would remain behind in the mirror world and their soul would be absorbed by their killer. The winning immortal would gain their memories and strengths to make them more formidable in battle against future opponents.

After thousands of years, an event will take place in NYC known as the gathering. The few remaining immortals are compelled to come here and fight the last battles between each other. The last immortal would have absorbed all of the deity's pieces, and become the host vessel for the re-formed devil through which he will reincarnate himself. Back in the day, it was easy to have battles between immortals and keep it our of the limelight. With the 20th century, however, the world has changed. Advancements in technology, such as satalities, cell phones, GPS, cameras, etc, have made being undetected more difficult. Could the parameters I have set up keep this war a secret? Because in the end....

There Can be Only One.
    Last edited by The_Russian_Col; 2019-01-07 at 02:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How can the devil reincarnate himself on earth without being noticed by the moder

The most difficult part is switching identities every few decades or so.

In normal Highlander you could get caught killing someone and have to serve some time in jail (or freak out an executioner when his electric chair doesn't work), but here even that's not a concern...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How can the devil reincarnate himself on earth without being noticed by the moder

The idea sucks...

Oh wait, this is basically Highlander, only that it makes sense! I take it back! This is the very best version of Highlander I've read, MUCH better than the original :-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Re: How can the devil reincarnate himself in the modern world without being noticed?

The "devil" does not oppose the entity. He is the chief warden to his prison. The devil punishes souls because it's his job. He does not delight in it; it is merely his job. Now and again, when he has time off, he visits the world and encourages people not to sin. He fits in because he is trying to stop people from going to his prison.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: How can the devil reincarnate himself in the modern world without being noticed?

For starters, looking forward to the demonic versions of Duncan, Amanda, Fitzcairn, Richie and Methos. :D

does holy groundwork like it did in the tv show?

was there the splintering that created both the 4 horseman and the 7 deadly sins?

Was Dante just some guy who found out and got incredibly jaded because of it creating the watchers?

Could a series of capture and containment killer robots done by the equivalent of the organization of "the grail" that record and analyze data and are trying to drain their energy to make an infernal machine?

Does cloning exist (with possible clones of messiahs wandering around in an 80's music video fashion)?

Were these immortals why legends of Daemons (who were relatively benign) became demons (which are considered morally vile).

Do they contain ancient secrets (even if it is something simple like Roman concrete) that they can adapt for the modern era to make money?

How crowded is the bay of Vancouver because of these demons and are they the reason nobody can afford to purchase property there (dybbs combined with land speculation)?
    Last edited by eternalshades; 2019-01-12 at 10:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Russian_Col View Post
    Whenever immortals meet, they would be compelled to fight each other 1-on-1 in IMMORTAL KONFLICT! They are transported to a mirror universe that is a reflection of the mortal world. There, they fight to the death to rock music playing in the background with swords, which are an extension of their inner soul and can be summoned or hidden at will by the user. The only way to kill an immortal is to perform a fatality by cutting off their head. Afterwhich, their bodies would remain behind in the mirror world and their soul would be absorbed by their killer. The winning immortal would gain their memories and strengths to make them more formidable in battle against future opponents.
    Is the below right?

So, when two Immortals meet, essentially (to any modern stuff watching, or witnesses), one of them suddenly vanishes. I guess the other might look a bit beat up suddenly, if auto-heal doesn't have at the end of the mirror combat. (Do they also return to where they entered the mirror realm from?)

And, when two Immortals meet, to the Immortals' perspective:
    1) they are instantly teleported/enter a mirror universe
    2) fight to the death
    3) winner returns, loser stays

I'm assuming that the fights take 'no time' in the real world. If two people vanish and only one reappears a minute or so later, that's a bigger deal.

If yes

Covering the up the fights isn't an issue because nobody sees them.
    What is an issue is people suddenly vanishing and/or suddenly changing appearance/location.

Maybe the ritual combat can only occur if Immortals are in private with one another? They can fight and sense each other when in public, but need to be in private for the fight to occur. With that, any recordings are just doctored, right? (Or so someone could spin it.) It could be set-up as something the demon did to make his movements less trackable by agents of the divine.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm assuming that the fights take 'no time' in the real world. If two people vanish and only one reappears a minute or so later, that's a bigger deal.
    That seems like an unwarranted assumption. Also, why is one a bigger deal than the other? As seen by a witness, either
    1. Two people meet and one suddenly disappears. Or
    2. Two people meet and one suddenly disappears. The other suddenly has cuts and bruises, perhaps serious. Or
    3. Two people meet and both suddenly disappear. The witness leaves in a mental state as determined by his/her personality. Or
    4. Two people meet and both suddenly disappear. The witness stays, watching the spot for anything from a few seconds to a few minutes and then of of the two suddenly reappears, maybe with and maybe without with cuts and bruises, perhaps serious.

As far as how much attention this draws in society at large, what's the difference?

To The Russian Col: How many immortals were created? If there were, say, a thousand such fights over thousands of years then they would probably go unnoticed. And by "unnoticed" I mean known by society at large; they could occasionally be seen, but the witnesses would not be taken seriously so the events would not be widely known or believed to exist. If there were millions of such fights then I don't think notice can possibly be avoided. So to answer the original question "How can the Devil...?" By not making too many pieces in the first place.

All in all, it's a cool idea despite the similarity to Highlander.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.