The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: SC's Kingdom Game: The Uncanny Valley

Yes, well. That's what happens when you 'break the law'. Swift and disproportionate retaliation. Break a wall, life in irons. Luvon spoke ruefully, though it was obvious that he was only half talking to their newest prisoner. He continued to root around the abandoned building, finding bits and pieces of bolts.

Spoiler
    Show
    [rollp]5d2[/rollp]1's are recovered
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Hapax was pretty sure that last comment was a dig at him, but said nothing. "Regardless, now we have to figure out what to do with you." He turns to Tetro "How far is the nearest Flagsdale outpost?"
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Looks out, then looks back over at Hapax, gestures to their surroundings "well, if all the trees weren't in my way I'd be able to tell you.." Then looking down to the woman, "Oye, lady, what's your name, and secondly...you wouldn't happen to know the answer to me friends question would ya now?"
    Last edited by Pbangel16; 2019-02-23 at 03:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lelouch regroups with the others as the continue their conversation to the woman. Dismounting from his mech he keeps an ear out for anything interesting that may come up in the conversation while keeping the bulk of his attention to inspecting the dents on his mech. After a little bit he walks over and stands with his friends waiting to jump into the conversation when the need arises.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Didn't you all just come from there? It was about a day's travel northeast of here." She arches an eyebrow.

"Does that mean you weren't here to capture us? Hell, I'll split the take with you and you'll never have to see me again if that's the case."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Hapax looked at his teammates, judging their reactions to the offer. "Tempting" was all he said for the moment, though.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Luvon had rejoined the others after his brief search, mildly frustrated with the measly scavenge. As the barrier dissipated, he leveled his crossbow at the back of the woman's head. No. The crossbow fired with a loud mechanical clunk.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7] Not sure if this counts as Flat-Footed or not, but it doesn't matter on my end.
    (1d8)[2]+(1d10)[8]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Tetro wanders over to Hapax, giving him a once over, then scurries up his side, sitting on his right shoulder, her tail swishing to and fro as she looks the now dead lady over. "welp now you've taken the fun away, always did like seeing someone being handcuffed." Gives a wink then tilts head towards Luvon, "so now what oh fearless leader of ours?"
    Last edited by Pbangel16; 2019-02-23 at 11:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

"Gah!" the woman shouts. Tetro's magic no longer overriding her flight or fight response, she bolts away from the farm house and speeds off the way you entered from.

"Fine! You can have it you nut jobs!"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Do not let her leave. Do not forget why we are here. Luvon fired another bolt, cursing himself for his poor aim. Maybe he should spend more time practicing.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[5]
    (1d8)[6]+(1d10)[3]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Rolling eyes shifts from sitting to crouching unholsters crossbow and takes aim, gives Hapax a quick look then mutters, "Don't. Move." Lining up her shot calls out to the lady, "Ya' should have stayed put."
    A squeeze of the trigger and the bolt flies towards the fleeing woman.
    Spoiler: Death by lizard
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+4)[17] Damage: (1d6)[5]

12. - Top - End - #102

The woman takes the bolt in the back in mid-stride, stumbles for a half a second, and continues running.

13. - Top - End - #103

With one bandit fleeing into the woods, Luvon executes the survivors of the scuffle. A quick investigation of the farm house reveals little, just some rotting furniture from decades ago, cots of recent manufacture that the bandits had with them, and the gear that could be recovered from the fallen. You don't discover any gold beyond what little the bandits had in their pockets, but the runner wasn't carrying anything on her person large enough to hold the coinage you were expecting.

Spoiler: Phat Loot
    Show
    4x studded leather armor, 1x Studded leather armor (burnt), 3x Heavy Crossbows, 1x Heavy Crossbow (burnt), 87 crossbow bolts, 1x masterwork rapier, 7x daggers, 1x chain shirt, 1x masterwork greataxe, and 37 gold in various denominations (I won't make you keep track of individual coins, the total value is 37gp).

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

There were two possibilities as far as the gold was concerned; the first is that it was hidden here, and the second was that it was hidden elsewhere where the missing bandit was fleeing. Seeing as the latter would be virtually impossible to find, he focused on the former. He began pacing the house, trying to find it when one of the floorboards jostled under his foot. Looking down, he saw the plank he was on had no nails. Investigating, he found that the ground underneath was recently disturbed, so he began digging.

Sure enough, her found a quite full sack of coins. "Found it!" he exclaimed.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent. First coins in the treasury coffers. Now, shall we keep going or do we want to break here for the day? I heard they serve a lovely brunch. He made no effort to hide his sarcasm.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Hapax winces as he steps forward. "I could definitely use some rest. I got hit hard by that axe woman"

17. - Top - End - #107

12:00 -

The party settles down for a rest to recover from the rather bloody encounter. Tetro spends her time crafting and resizing bolts. After a short time repairing Lelouch's mech, Luvon and Hapax turn in so they can recover from their wounds. Luckily the cots the bandits brought are in good shape. Lelouch relaxes and makes sure his mech is well oiled.

20:00 -

The party is well rested and rearmed. The moon is particularly beautiful tonight. It looks so much bigger out here, almost purple, away from the city lights of Flagsdale.

20:30 -

Not much later the party hears the rush of a fast flowing river. Coming closer they find themselves on the edge of a cliff overlooking the remains of a wooden bridge. The supports where the middle of the bridge was gave out long ago and the river looks fast and deep.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The river looks to be deeper than you are tall (especially Tetro). The area where the posts are is the closest area where you can stand. The bits of bridge hanging down don't make it very clear.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Luvon studied the gap for a few moments, head tilting quizzically. Fairly simply. Hapax, Lelouch, you two go gather wood. They need to be about 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Long as possible. We're gonna make a ladder. Tetro, can you move Lelouch and his bot across the gap? He'll stabilize it on that end once he's finished gathering raw materials.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Taking a look across the way then back up to Luvon nods, "Shouldn't be a problem. Anything else you want me to do in meantime besides stand around while you all play lumber jacks?"
    Last edited by Pbangel16; 2019-02-28 at 07:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

And play lumberjacks they did. The party felled several small trees and using Luvon and Hapax's magic were able to form them into several ladders and then into one large ladder. Using a rope tied to the far end of the ladder they were able to maneuver it into place and lower it down slowly.

Tetro teleported Lelouch across the gap and he was able to help lower the ladder into place.

All that's left is for the others to cross.

Show
    Alright, Tetro, Hapax, and Luvon need to make acrobatics checks to cross the bridge. Either post here or roll in the Discord.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Luvon was in a sour mood. His need for perfection caused him to overanalyze and lose focus and effort, further embarrassing himself. Regardless, the task was done. He took a steadying breathe before moving across the ladder, slowly. He kept his posture low and grounded, keeping his center of gravity low and directly over the ladder.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[24]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Hapax looked to Tetro. "I'm gonna want you right behind me. I'm not the most nimble so if you could keep an eye on me and teleport me in case I fall, it would be much appreciated."
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-5)[10]

23. - Top - End - #113

Seeing that Hapax is able to albeit barely, Tetro leisurely skips across the remaining rungs.

The party assembles on the other side of the river and stashes the ladder in two pieces for later use. They head through more woods and see a family of badgers scurrying in a parallel line to the overgrown road. It looks like they're heading away from the tower.

A hour later the party comes to the edge of the woods where a large plain sprawls before them. The tower is very close now and it looms ominously. You never hear of anything looming positively, but what do I know I'm just a narrator. A pack of large cat-like beasts at the limits of Luvon's low light vision dash for the cover of the woods but keep their distance.

As the group heads closer the tower becomes shrouded in a purple glow. Craning your heads you see that the light seems to come from the full moon. The sounds of large bat-like wings beating take your attention away from the tower. A huge shadow passes over the party before it too heads to the woods.

The tower is fascinating to the four of you. The dwarves notice it's craftsmanship and the technicians recognize the effort that would have been required to build such a massive structure. Its outerwalls seem to be made from a single black stone as there are no signs of stone carving. Two wooden doors that have weathered time admirably are set into the south face of the tower. It's roughly 200ft tall and 90ft in diameter.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show
    There are shapes moving on the top of the tower. At least 2 of roughly human size and shape.

Show
    TL;DR - You see a bunch of animals running away from the spooky tower. The tower is really big and has a weird glow around it.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

The front door, then. Easily enough. Luvon's voice was even, but there was the slightest hint of trepidation. Still, he forged onwards.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Looking up and around the tower, calls out after Luvon"Right, and when a big scary thing asks us what we want, we'll tell em what exactly? that we're delivering tea and biscuits?" For once Tetro wasn't all about darting forward. The creepy tower with purple glow giving her pause as she hung back by Hapax and LeLouche, her crossbow at the ready just in case.
    Last edited by Pbangel16; 2019-03-05 at 09:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Hapax points upwards "We're not alone; there's someone on top of the tower. You sure you want to head on up?"

27. - Top - End - #117

Deciding that yes, yes they will go in, the party enters the tower. The large doors open easily and glide quietly on their hinges. They appear to be made of darkwood of an age that you've not seen before in any elven antiques.

The entryway is a 90 foot diameter circle of the same black stone that makes up the exterior. There are two stairways: one leading up and the other down. A large diamond shaped hole dominates the center of the floor. The same purple glow from outside the tower is coming through a similar hole in the ceiling and continues down to the floor below.

Along the back wall there is a 12ft tall statue of a motherly looking woman in a simple gown, with arms spread wide in an inviting gesture. The statue blends into the wall and floor where her hands and feet would be. In front of the statue is a moldering red carpet and two lit candelabras.

Above you, you hear the occasional sounds of heavy boots pacing and below you, you hear a low chant of many voices.

Spoiler: Knowledge: History or Religion DC 20
    Show
    You recognize the statue as a shrine to Karamite, a spirit of nurturing. You've heard that there were ancient shrines to the spirits of this valley and that small cults would form around them occasionally.

28. - Top - End - #118

The party trudges up the stairs, Lelouch's mech pounding the stairs and Hapax's armor making a din with every step.

As Lelouch's head reaches the floor's level he sees 4 orc guards in scale mail standing about the room. The two of them standing near the hole in the floor are having a conversation in Orcish while the other two pace around.

Spoiler: Orcish (Everyone but Hapax has this)
    Show
    "What do you think this is?" The first orc says as he reaches for the beam of purple moonlight.
    "Well if you don't know then don't touch it!" The second orc says as he bats away the first's outstretched hand.
    "What in One-Eye's name is wrong with you tonight?"
    "I just want to survive, get paid, and never have to see those creeps in the basement again. Now stop loafing and get back to guarding."
    The first orc brings his clenched fist over his heart. "Yes, broth-hey who's that?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Luvon lined up a shot at the Orc directly in front of them. He didn't bother to explain their presence. They didn't matter.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[9]
    (1d8)[8]+(1d10)[4]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Hapax rushed forward; his mind blade in a defensive position.
    Show
    MA:Move 20 feet up
    MA: Start tactic (As long as 2 people in the aura threaten the same enemy, they flank)