New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: OOTS #1151 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I think the weirdest part here might be the fact that Durkon's clearly taken the time to consider this in detail, considering how quickly he shot out Belkar's specific number.
    I mean, he was trapped in his own head. What else did he have to think about when he wasn't talking with the vampire? Clearly nothing!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    I do think the speech is possibly a precursor to the one he will make to Redcloak, especially the "looking into the mirror" part. Redcloak has looked into a mirror before, but taken away the wrong message*; maybe Durkon's words will steer him towards the right one?

* "It'll all be worth it. You'll see." (On phone, can't link to the actual strip at the moment.)
    Oooh, I like that idea a lot. The mirror thing was a pretty big connection to something else, but I think it could work in that direction too.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I love how Belkar managed to frame being sensitive as macho. Remind me of the ‘‘Doomsealer’’ business.
    And how Durkon is perceptive enough, once he understands what Belkar means, to phrase things in a way that encourages Belkar to be a better person, but in a way that Belkar will accept.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

You know when I think about bad guy starts following good guys around for evil reasons between doing good deeds and seeing it benefit others and the joy of having people do nice things for you just because they love catches feelings, but once they turn around they have feelings about who they were before.
    Its like the most generic bad guy redemption plot. So people already sort of think that its but Durken is saying it out loud.
    Megamind; Lilo and Stitch;
    Man I know there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
    I would say MLP but Discord never really felt bad for his dark past and being hit with a friendship laser beem doesn't count as being seduced to the light side.

I think its more complicated than that in real life because most of the time evil or really dark neutral amounts to habits which make your life easier in the moment and happen to hurt others and are tough to break.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Five gold says it still won't be.
    You are on!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    I do think the speech is possibly a precursor to the one he will make to Redcloak, especially the "looking into the mirror" part. Redcloak has looked into a mirror before, but taken away the wrong message*; maybe Durkon's words will steer him towards the right one?

* "It'll all be worth it. You'll see." (On phone, can't link to the actual strip at the moment.)
    Ooh, I like that!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think the weirdest part here might be the fact that Durkon's clearly taken the time to consider this in detail, considering how quickly he shot out Belkar's specific number.
    He's probably learned a while ago that any conversation with Belkar will have sarcasm like this in it and that he should be prepared to counter it.
    Besides, it doesn't take that long to consider who you want to marry in a group.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    And cue the wild speculation on who in the Order Durkon considers to be even less marriage material than Belkar.
    My guess would be V or Roy.
    That or Belkor was last place but he didn't really ask himself and was just joking.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Wow
    Durkon. Belkar.
    Introspection for the hard boys.
    And Bigbies dead Cleric retrieving hand. And handily memorized, too :P

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    I'm gonna go with V. Unless it turns out he wouldn't marry Roy because he doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
    V would be my guess, too; they've had a fairly strained relationship at times, and unlike some of the others they haven't had much of a chance to patch it up (since Durkon was already a vampire when V confessed to Roy.)

None of this is going to stop the inevitable Belkar / Durkon shipping, mind you.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-01-09 at 10:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomen View Post
    You know when I think about bad guy starts following good guys around for evil reasons between doing good deeds and seeing it benefit others and the joy of having people do nice things for you just because they love catches feelings, but once they turn around they have feelings about who they were before.
    Its like the most generic bad guy redemption plot. So people already sort of think that its but Durken is saying it out loud.
    Megamind; Lilo and Stitch;
    Man I know there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
    I would say MLP but Discord never really felt bad for his dark past and being hit with a friendship laser beem doesn't count as being seduced to the light side.
    Sure but that’s a truth that’s worth repeating.

I think its more complicated than that in real life because most of the time evil or really dark neutral amounts to habits which make your life easier in the moment and happen to hurt others and are tough to break.
    Everything is always more complicated in real life. That’s why we
    tell tales, so that we can make simple narratives to tell each other the simple underlying truths behind the complicated problems we face.

Real life evil is a bundle of bad habits and justifications of our own actions and our own refusal to confront ourselves about them. Having that courage is the truest form of strength.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by kiapet View Post
    His first choice has to be Roy, right? I mean, unless he has the "I love you like a brother" thing going on, but even then I doubt his feelings for anyone in the party run particularly romantic.
    Given that Durkon appears to be heterosexual, surely Haley would be his *first* choice, being the only (definite) female in the party?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Given that Durkon appears to be heterosexual, surely Haley would be his *first* choice, being the only (definite) female in the party?
    Could be bi.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I like the concept about good also being seductive. I think that's the first time I've heard it brought up in a story before.

Durkon's dialog in the last panel seemed a bit off. Was he supposed to say "unexpected" instead of "ultimately?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Great strip.

Belkar's own way to start aknowledging his errors is fantastic, and I laughed on the mirror stuff.

Again we see why they didn't need just any divine caster for the mission, but Durkon specifically.

My bet on the "less marriage material than Belkar" member of the group would probably be on Elan, because of things like this.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    V would be my guess, too; they've had a fairly strained relationship at times, and unlike some of the others they haven't had much of a chance to patch it up (since Durkon was already a vampire when V confessed to Roy.)

None of this is going to stop the inevitable Belkar / Durkon shipping, mind you.
    Given how Lawful Durkon is, he might consider V his last option since, as far as he knows, V is still married (at least, I don't recall V sharing the news of his divorce with anyone on-page, nor does (s)he seem like the type to have done so off-page).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I kind of feel like Durkon, who sees marriage as much as duty as anything, would prefer a marriage with a partner he's not sexually attracted to but understands him over one to someone he might theoretically be attracted to but has a completely different worldview. Assuming he actually is strictly hetero

EDIT: Granted there's Hilgya, but I got the impression that was more because of the baby than anything
    Last edited by kiapet; 2019-01-09 at 11:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by declinator View Post
    I first thought they had somehow forgotten Minrah, but V is floating her along on a Bigby's Hand (probably the Hearse Hand effect). Are they out of Raise Dead for the moment, or did they not want to presume on Hilgya again?
    They might be bringing her in as a prop for the Council - here's the dwarf who nobly sacrificed herself to save you.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "hardcore introspection"?

I think Durkon has become a much better preacher and Belkar really is turning less evil!
    Remember to say 'hardcore' with a nice echo like the guy who announces upcoming WWF matches.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

We don't actually have any reason to think Durkon can't be bisexual. By our cultural standards it would be fairly unusual characterization for a staid dwarf, but we don't know anything about how OOTS Dwarven culture views those things, so it could just be a totally uncontroversial thing there.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-01-09 at 11:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I highly prefer a 40-page discussion of who Durkon would marry in the group to a 40-page discussion about Hilgya.

I hope this can last.

21. - Top - End - #51

Does anyone have a link to the airship strip that Durkon is referencing?
    !

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Now I really want an "INTENSE HARDCORE INTROSPECTION" T-Shirt
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I highly prefer a 40-page discussion of who Durkon would marry in the group to a 40-page discussion about Hilgya. I hope this can last.
    Given that Durkon offered to marry Hilgya, I don't think that such a discussion can be Hilgya-free if it is to last 40 pages.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

We've never confirmed V's gender one way or the other, and V has experience. That sounds a more likely #1 than Haley. CG seems like it would have more difficulty with LG Durkon than TN Vaarsuvius.

Love the update, although I am a little curious why Hilgya's following them around now and what she's got in mind.

I have a nasty suspicion the story is going to continue without Minrah, and when this happens we will be removing both Hilgya and Minrah from the story . One Flame strike + gust of wind at the right time should put Minrah out of reach of any but True Resurrection.

Indeed, I suspect that part of Minrah's purpose is to be a foil and a contrast for Hilgya, and the story purpose of both will be fulfilled before the next book starts .

Sometimes it hurts being so suspicious, yes. :(.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its not as hard as it sounds. Unless V has been far more forthcoming with their personal life than I would expect, then as far as Durkon knows, V is already married. So assuming you don't count any of the animals, that leaves Belkar in 4th place of 4 potential candidates.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #56

That one line where Sigdi says Durkon should settle down with a nice "gal or fella" suddenly feels like it had more to do with Durkon's preferences than Sigdi's highly accepting nature.

Anyway anyone who tells themselves number one wouldn't be Roy is fooling themselves. You don't watch a man have an emotional, rage-induced power-up over your death and subsequent corruption without getting a few heartstrings tugged. Number 5 is probably V, because as far as Durkon knows V is still married and also they probably wouldn't make the best couple either way. The real debate to be had is whether Elan or Haley is his number two.
    "Truly stupid wizards have the life expectancy of a glass hammer."
    -Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And I was so looking forward to a Belkar and Durkon wedding.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. Suddenly Belkar has a way to view introspection as "Macho" and "being tougher" than others.

And he apologized for something without drama.

Now this is character development!
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Based on the information available, I think I'd guess Durkon's marriage ranking to be like this:
    1. Roy (same alignment, more similar personalities)
    2. Haley (female, which we know he likes, more responsible than Elan)
    3. Elan (still good aligned, but flighty and annoying)
    4. Belkar (you know why he's low on the list)
    5. Vaarsuvius (for all the reasons mentioned above by other posters)
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-01-09 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Awesome. Right in the heart.
    Still very nice just to see the band back together.
    Though they do seem to be wandering the tunnel with their collective guard down.
    Thanks Giant.