New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Belkar's Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't, not necessarily because of Rich, but because clearly the OOTS world lacks a lawyer class managing the legal code. Apparently there are only two fully trained lawyers in the entire world. Therefore it stands to reason that she was not instructed on how lawyers are a ruling class, because they aren't a class at all.
    D&D 3.5 has enough rules lawyers embedded in it to make up for the lack of a Lawyer class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You know why the most common legal information given is "don't talk to the police without a lawyer?" There are more laws than you can imagine. Chances are you break a law every day. There are a huge number of specialties, because nobody expects any one person to have a working grasp on any significant fraction of the law.
    Bingo. My brother Knight (KofC) who has spent 30+ years practicing law, and my B-I-L (cop) both gave me that same advice separately.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Who will then go on to shake down, murder, and assassinate people.
    It's thieves' guild, not assassins' guild.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    It's thieves' guild, not assassins' guild.
    The guild has/had at least one assassin on staff.
    If we examine the comic strip during the time when Belkar(sick), Celia, and Haley first arrive in Greysky city, we notice that it is a lawless town. Compare that entry scene montage to Cliffport, where the cops were very present and on screen.

It is a reasonable presumption, if one is genre aware of D&D, that a thieve's guild will have some assassins to act as enforcers. (How often killing, versus the threat of killing, is used will doubtless depend on the guild, the guild master, and the situation at the time ...)

Any threat of killing is empty if the guild never has not had someone killed just to remind people that they can and will. (This line of thinking fits rather well with a variety of organized crime syndicates/groups IRL ... to the point that some of the really effective organized crime groups kill very rarely).

(There are a variety of RL organized crime groups one could examine, but the one I'd recommend looking into is the Camorra (originally based in and around Naples, Italy) due to how long it has been around (centuries) and how very difficult it has been to counter).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-02-07 at 04:38 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #934
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's been awhile since I've read it, but I thought it was pretty clear that Celia is the kind of person would rather watch someone die if the only way she could stop that from happening was killing the person who was doing the killing. Similarly, she see's all deaths equally bad, and thus people should be revived when possible - that some people are much more likely to go on to kill several other people either doesn't enter into it for her, or doesn't change her idea of what is right.

My impression has always been that though Celia is well-meaning, we were never supposed to be fully in support of her views, nor fully opposed them.