New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Version 1.5 of A Druid Circle based on Forest Fires

OK, here's version 1.5. The help you all gave me is deeply appreciated. As of 14 January:
    -------------------------------
    Circle of Flame

Fire burns the forest, and out of the ash rises new growth. Just like the fire that burns the weak and dead trees, Druids of the Circle of Flame reap the weakness from those who have lost their way, leaving the next generation a fertile soil to grow upon. Wind spreads forest fires, cleansing a greater area. Lightning starts forest fires when it strikes a dead tree; fiery death brings a new beginning. Even evil, consumed by flame, can provide fertile ground for Nature reborn. Circle of Flame druids believe that everything will burn one day, to be re-born for a new beginning.

Only You
    When you choose the Circle of Flame at level 2, you gain the fire bolt cantrip.

Circle of Flame spells (always prepared)

at level 3 Scorching Ray, Gust of Wind
    at level 5 Revivify, Lightning Bolt
    at level 7 Grasping Vine, Fire Shield
    at level 9 Control Winds, Flame Strike

Heart of the Flame
    At 2nd level, as an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken the primordial spirits of fire rather than transforming into a beast form. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:
    [LIST][*] Add your Wisdom Modifier to your AC [*] Add Fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier to your melee attacks [*] You can use your reaction to heal yourself, or an allied creature within 10 feet of you, for 1d4 hit points. This healing increases to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 13th level.

These effects last for 1 minute or until you are reduced to 0 hit points.

Heat of Battle
    Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action.

Flaming Soul
    At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, you gain +2 to your armor class.

From the Ashes
    Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself, or to a single friendly creature within 30' of you. You, or the friendly creature (whomever was subjected to the damage) instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest. [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-01-14 at 02:30 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: A Druid Circle based on Forest Fires

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    It is. And while it first applied to bonfires, I intend to keep it. Fire bolt can make flammable objects burn.

Fair point. As a point of reference, see the life domain cleric:
    Life Domain Spells
    Cleric Level Spells
    1st bless, cure wounds
    3rd lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
    5th beacon of hope, revivify
    7th death ward, guardian of faith
    9th mass cure wounds, raise dead
    All Cleric spells.

Your point is taken, I'll ponder a change.
    Again, I’d use Circle of Spores as your reference point, since it is the most similar Druid circle in design.

It’s spell list has 5 spells that are not otherwise usable by the Druid.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's a section specifically for homebrew content to be reviewed and critiqued. I reviewed the forum rules, but it doesn't really say it's against the rules to post stuff in a slightly incorrect location, only that the creator can request it to be moved by reporting the thread for the request.

Is there any reason I couldn't post 5e homebrew content directly onto the 5e forum (like with this thread)?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-01-14 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #34

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Version 1.5 of A Druid Circle based on Forest Fires

From the Ashes [/B]
    Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself or a single friendly creature within 30' of you. The friendly creature, or you instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.
    Could you clarify the language here? If I take the fire damage can I absorb it and heal my ally? So basically, make it clear whether the person who gets hit with the damage is the person who has to instead be healed, or if the druid can refocus that damage done to whomever to heal any other party member (including him/herself). Haha, even in asking to clarify it's hard to state what I mean clearly. Does that make sense?

I think this turned out great, and if I ever play a druid I'll likely go for this subclass. It just seems like a lot of fun.
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Kobold Finesse Barbarian Guide A fun, very viable build for a Barbarian.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    ...I've seen a fair amount of granola tree huggers play druids.
    And warlocks & rogues are a magnet for borderline sociopaths.
    Spoiler: Old Quotes I Can't Yet Abandon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    ...But I concur you got to bump that con up to around 14 or be prepared to enjoy Proficiency in death Saving throws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Worst-case scenario, it gets ignored and pushed back to page 2, AKA The Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrowPiratRobrts View Post
    Could you clarify the language here? If I take the fire damage can I absorb it and heal my ally? So basically, make it clear whether the person who gets hit with the damage is the person who has to instead be healed, or if the druid can refocus that damage done to whomever to heal any other party member (including him/herself). Haha, even in asking to clarify it's hard to state what I mean clearly. Does that make sense?

I think this turned out great, and if I ever play a druid I'll likely go for this subclass. It just seems like a lot of fun.
    Great question, let me clean that up. Thanks!
    From the Ashes
    Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself, or to a single friendly creature within 30' of you. You, or the friendly creature (whomever was subjected to the damage) instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.
    Is that more clear?
    There's a section specifically for homebrew content to be reviewed and critiqued. I reviewed the forum rules, but it doesn't really say it's against the rules to post stuff in a slightly incorrect location, only that the creator can request it to be moved by reporting the thread for the request.

Is there any reason I couldn't post 5e homebrew content directly onto the 5e forum (like with this thread)?
    I'll PM a mod, fair question. I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trustypeaches View Post
    Again, I’d use Circle of Spores as your reference point, since it is the most similar Druid circle in design.

It’s spell list has 5 spells that are not otherwise usable by the Druid.
    The inspiration was not that subclass, but rather the circle of the land (all of them) ... PS, I dislike the circle of spoors druid sub class, so I have no interest in modeling anything related to it.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-01-14 at 02:32 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

6. - Top - End - #36

PirateCaptain

From the Ashes
    Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself, or to a single friendly creature within 30' of you. You, or the friendly creature (whomever was subjected to the damage) instead heals for the amount of damage taken. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest.
    That's much better. You can also use this simplified tweak if you like the wording and it helps you.

"Starting at Level 14 you can use your reaction to absorb fire or lightning damage that would be dealt to you or a friendly creature within 30' of you. The creature instead heals for that amount of damage. This feature refreshes on a short or long rest."
    ~Toggle Yer Crouch~

Kobold Finesse Barbarian Guide A fun, very viable build for a Barbarian.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    ...I've seen a fair amount of granola tree huggers play druids.
    And warlocks & rogues are a magnet for borderline sociopaths.
    Spoiler: Old Quotes I Can't Yet Abandon
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    ...But I concur you got to bump that con up to around 14 or be prepared to enjoy Proficiency in death Saving throws.
    Worst-case scenario, it gets ignored and pushed back to page 2, AKA The Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Moved to Homebrew. Also, please don't use art without permission of the artist/copyright holder.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff: Moved to Homebrew. Also, please don't use art without permission of the artist/copyright holder.
    As I noted in the opening post, if your assessment is that, attribution considered, the image is not fair use then I will remove it forthwith. I'll drop you a PM. I have removed it pending further communication.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-01-14 at 05:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to once again thank everyone who helped out, critiqued, and gave wording suggestions to this idea. Your assistance and expertise is very much appreciated.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Here is Version 1.6. I had a variety of critiques, both here and at RPG.SE, on my problem with the Armor Class and Bounded Accuracy.

Circle of Flame

Fire burns the forest, and out of the ash rises new growth. Just like the fire that burns the weak and dead trees, Druids of the Circle of Flame reap the weakness from those who have lost their way, leaving the next generation a fertile soil to grow upon. Wind spreads forest fires, cleansing a greater area. Lightning starts forest fires when it strikes a dead tree; fiery death brings a new beginning. Even evil, consumed by flame, can provide fertile ground for Nature reborn. Circle of Flame druids believe that everything will burn one day, to be re-born for a new beginning.

Circle of Flame bonus spells (always prepared)

at level 3 Flaming Sphere, Gust of Wind
    at level 5 Plant Growth, Lightning Bolt
    at level 7 Guardian of Nature, Wall of Fire {Grasping Vine for PHB Only Games}
    at level 9 Control Winds, Immolation {Flame Strike for PHB Only games}

Only You
    When you choose the Circle of Flame at level 2, you gain the fire bolt cantrip.

Heart of the Flame
    At 2nd level, you gain the ability to awaken the primal spirits of flame. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken your inner flame, rather than transforming into a beast form. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:

- A flaming aura surrounds you. Add a bonus to your armor class equal to one third of your Druid level (Minimum of 1) {Note: this ties it to the scheme of Moon Circle Druid CR divided by 3 thing for Wild Shape, and slowly boosts AC commensurate with CR of enemies and their higher to hit scores ... }
    - You can use your reaction to heal yourself, or an allied creature within 10' of you, for 1d4 hit points when either of you takes damage. This healing increases to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 15th level.

These effects last for 1 minute or until you are reduced to 0 hit points.

{Note: unlike the beast shape that lasts for hours and hours, this is a one combat benefit expenditure of a class feature}.

Heat of Battle
    Starting at level 6, the druid gets an Extra Attack when taking the Attack action. Add Fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier to your melee attacks {It can be argued that this needs to wait for level 8 ... but I am leaving it here}.

Flaming Soul
    At level 10 you gain resistance to fire damage. While concentrating on a spell that does fire damage, add your Wisdom modifier to the damage done.

From the Ashes
    Starting level 14, as a reaction, you can absorb fire or lightning damage dealt to yourself or a single friendly creature within 30' of you. The friendly creature, or you instead heals for the amount of damage taken. You must take a short or long rest before using this feature again.

==========

At Level 20: with the Druid's level 20 "wild shape forever" thing going on, you can turn into this flaming thing as often as you want to, but it costs an action to do so. Also, you recover no HP when so doing. I am comfortable that the opponents at level 20 won't get too bothered by a flaming druid jumping around ...

=========================

Fire resistant and fire immune creatures will shrug when this druid comes by.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-04-01 at 03:06 PM.