New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Now I am nostalgic for the times when Jeph drew more than one face ...

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I just now got why the pony thing came up... it's the butt emblem, isn't it? The ponies have some sort of brand on their haunches, right?
    When did the Pony thing came. Up?! I am lost!!!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    When did the Pony thing came. Up?! I am lost!!!
    This is really the long and short of it. Keybounce referred to a character (Momo probably) looking like "Pinkey Pie" (who is a My Little Pony character), and Fawkes clarified that there are no pony tropes in this comic. That's really it.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-02-04 at 12:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    This is really the long and short of it. Keybounce referred to a character (Momo probably) looking like "Pinkey Pie" (who is a My Little Pony character), and Fawkes clarified that there are no pony tropes in this comic. That's really it.
    Phew. Got scared

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Pretty sure it was Roko they refered to, and the other was Spookybot.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2019-02-04 at 01:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Well, she doesn't have Raven's sexual promiscuity. Otherwise, yes, they are similar, except for Emily being eternally out of touch while Raven was gullible to the point of idiocy. From my point of view, she's Ethan from CAD, minus the deliberate aggressions.
    I would phrase it as: Emily is exceedingly quirky, and brilliant. Raven is...maybe 70% as quirky, and stupid.

From where I'm sitting, Ethan from CAD could be entirely summarized as "sociopathic, but in ways that are endearing and amusing...why aren't you laughing?" so "Ethan from CAD minus the deliberate aggressions" doesn't compute at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Pretty sure it was Roko they refered to, and the other was Spookybot.
    I think the point to be emphasized here is, as Fawkes mentioned, that "this is a comic with human versions of the rebooted My Little Ponies" is entirely the wrong way to approach QC, no matter which characters keybounce tried to map Pinkie Pie and Rarity to.
    Last edited by Kish; 2019-02-04 at 01:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I would phrase it as: Emily is exceedingly quirky, and brilliant. Raven is...maybe 70% as quirky, and stupid.
    Also, both produce spooky things as part of their quirkiness, but Emily's are sci-fi and Raven's are eldritch.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    This is what you get when you don't reasearch what the singularity actually is.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    This is what you get when you don't reasearch what the singularity actually is.
    I give Jeph credit for having a "singularity" that actually doesn't invoke eye-rolling or amount to "the rapture for nerds".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmm. Somebody acting like a rational adult? In QC? Somebody go check on Jeph, make sure he's still at the wheel.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

I give Jeph credit for having a "singularity" that actually doesn't invoke eye-rolling or amount to "the rapture for nerds".
    The QC 'singularity' appears to represent the achievement of full human-level sapience by AI in-universe (though this implies that Pintsize, Winslow, and other AntroPCs weren't fully sapient beforehand, which is a rather significant plothole), but not any subsequent self-improving iterative hard-takeoff leading to a super-intelligence. I believe Momo explained at one point that the resulting AI 'consciousness' was fundamentally unable to run at much beyond the human level, even though truly powerful AIs, like Station, are able to run their 'consciousness' protocol as one a miniscule part of their overall processes. Spookybot seems to confirm this in some ways - it's absurdly powerful as a brute-force computational system, but it has had to unpack it's consciousness into multiple parallel frames rather than presenting a single super-intelligent mind.

This is a very weird and very convenient-to-the-story approach to the Singularity, but it's not completely unreasonable. It just requires you to put in place some fundamental physical limits about the functionality of a conscious mind. Those could exist, maybe.

It's also worth noting that, in the QC universe, time may pass quite slowly. The timeline on the Wiki has a good example of strips 1933-2820, almost 900 strips, occurring in a space of 4 months from May to August. That's around 225 strips per month of in-universe time. If that average largely holds overall by the time strip 4000 is reached, the singularity will still have happened less than a year ago in-universe, and the entire comic, to date, would have unfolded in less than 18 months. This feels distinctly like an under-estimate, as the comic implies some moments of fairly significant time-skipping between major plot arcs, but even if you double the number, you're only looking at 36 months, a mere 3 years of in-universe time (intuitively, that feels about right to me). To put that in perspective, that means for every five years of irl time, only one year passes in QC, and the entire run of the comic has unfolded during a single Presidential Term.

Considering this, it really isn't surprising that the aftershocks of the singularity are still unfolding, because society is still adapting. This is especially likely if, as seems probable, that old-fashioned materials science lags behind the computational innovations, such that it took some time for the new humanoid chassis-types to come on line and they have only recently translated into widespread marketable consumer products. It also seems like there's an on-going AI population explosion (and possibly an energy revolution, if Lemon's remarks about nuclear reactors are to be believed) and no one has quite figured out what any of it means.

Post-singularity QC is about a bunch of young adults going through their everyday lives while a massive technological revolution of which they are largely unaware and have absolutely no influence over happens in the background. This is a neat idea and while the actual universe lacks the worldbuilding (or the meanness, there's been no Ai riots for instance) to support this properly, there have been some good plotlines in this vein. For example, Faye taking a job as a welder in an underground robot-fighting enterprise was a great idea, even if the direction that plot ultimately took was overly melodramatic and required a deus ex machina to resolve.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

That was a mature and intelligent decision on Marigold's part. I'm proud of her.

If Emily set up a website that could help people solve their problems, it would probably involve not just time travel but higher planes of existence.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

One thing that does actually happen in QC that doesn't in a lot of other fiction... character growth often sticks, and the story doesn't hinge on a character having the same drama play out repeatedly.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

One thing that does actually happen in QC that doesn't in a lot of other fiction... character growth often sticks, and the story doesn't hinge on a character having the same drama play out repeatedly.
    *CoughDoraCough*

16. - Top - End - #286

Imp

Thank goodness that's over. If we were headed to another drama storyline about a ridiculously jealous girlfriend I was gonna hurl.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
    And no we'll follow the Adventures of Robot Lesbian Voldemort.
    My new favorite character.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2019-02-05 at 01:22 AM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    If Emily set up a website that could help people solve their problems, it would probably involve not just time travel but higher planes of existence.
    I would settle for a search engine that can distinguish between 'popular' and 'good', because sometimes that is a difficult but important distinction to make.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #288

Griffon

*Raises a hand* Why does Dora consider the Pepsi logo to be suitably avant garde that she would buy a print of it for her wall?
    Given her repeated threats against Starbucks and her thrift-store clothing preferences, the product logo for a megacorp seems like an odd choice in decor.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-02-05 at 03:14 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    *CoughDoraCough*
    Well, the thing there is that Does had the same drama play out because she wasn't growing. She hasn't really been having many jealous meltdowns as of late (granted somebody would have to hit on Tai for that to be revisited, and Tai's issue was that nobody wanted a serious relationship with her anyway fir whatever reason).

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

That's supposed to be the Pepsi logo?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Well, the thing there is that Does had the same drama play out because she wasn't growing. She hasn't really been having many jealous meltdowns as of late (granted somebody would have to hit on Tai for that to be revisited, and Tai's issue was that nobody wanted a serious relationship with her anyway fir whatever reason).
    I think Dora matured off-screen because Jeph got semi-bored with the original main cast. Both she and Marten have... kinda got taken down to second-string without really resolving all their primary character points. Which I guess is fine. We've bemoaned a decline in the writing compared to whenever we each think was the comic's apex, but it would be much worse if Jeph stuck with a cast that he no longer found interesting. As much as I never got back into Wapsi Square after the cast refocus, I'm glad we're not just reliving the original cast/original plot arc.

22. - Top - End - #292

Griffon

I mean, it's close enough that you can see how I made that mistake?

....Dora has a KNOCK-OFF Pepsi logo on her wall. That makes more sense....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

To me, it totally looks like the kind of art some art school student convinced the owner to put up, along with price tags (as seen in every non-corporate coffee shop in my local area).

24. - Top - End - #294

Spoiler
    Show

The Pepsi logo reminds me of the profile of a sea monkey. https://www.cute-calendar.com/images...monkey-day.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #295

I think Dora matured off-screen because Jeph got semi-bored with the original main cast. Both she and Marten have... kinda got taken down to second-string without really resolving all their primary character points. Which I guess is fine. We've bemoaned a decline in the writing compared to whenever we each think was the comic's apex, but it would be much worse if Jeph stuck with a cast that he no longer found interesting. As much as I never got back into Wapsi Square after the cast refocus, I'm glad we're not just reliving the original cast/original plot arc.
    I mean while the fine details took place mostly off screen we did get to see dora acknowledging her issues and doing some work forward to get better. Same for marten really, his biggest "issue" is that he isnt very driven. But thats hardly a crippling personality flaw that needs to be fixed or else it will destroy him. So now they are both happy, in fairly solid relationships, and dont have any immediate drama. So aside from snarky comments, they dont really need to feature much.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

To me, it totally looks like the kind of art some art school student convinced the owner to put up, along with price tags (as seen in every non-corporate coffee shop in my local area).
    Is that like a universal thing in American "local" coffee shops? Two of them here where I live do the same thing.

27. - Top - End - #297

Is that like a universal thing in American "local" coffee shops? Two of them here where I live do the same thing.
    You see the cheap "art" everywhere, doctors offices do it a lot too.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Despite my age and a job that entails some relative worldliness, I can't say I've been to enough of America to describe things anything as universal. However, everywhere I've been since the modern coffeeshop explosion (so, what, 1992?), this seems to be the case. I think it involves a number of factors that favor such a situation. Small owner-operated coffeeshops tend to:
    • have the owner in-shop somewhat often (thus permission to do this is relatively easy to obtain)
    • have owners who are a little quirky and probably artsy
    • be friendly to (and reliant upon) semi-poor young adults whose demographic art students coincide with
    • need something moderately interesting (but cheap to the owners) on the walls
    • accepting of entering into verbal-contract style arrangements (such as 'you can hang my art on your walls, if your cashiers can also sell them') that larger institutions would have to submit to the legal team, accountants (make sure it isn't considered store revenue), etc.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Despite my age and a job that entails some relative worldliness, I can't say I've been to enough of America to describe things anything as universal. However, everywhere I've been since the modern coffeeshop explosion (so, what, 1992?), this seems to be the case. I think it involves a number of factors that favor such a situation. Small owner-operated coffeeshops tend to:
    • have the owner in-shop somewhat often (thus permission to do this is relatively easy to obtain)
    • have owners who are a little quirky and probably artsy
    • be friendly to (and reliant upon) semi-poor young adults whose demographic art students coincide with
    • need something moderately interesting (but cheap to the owners) on the walls
    • accepting of entering into verbal-contract style arrangements (such as 'you can hang my art on your walls, if your cashiers can also sell them') that larger institutions would have to submit to the legal team, accountants (make sure it isn't considered store revenue), etc.
    "Universal" is probably way too broad a word if used literally, I was just wondering aloud at the fact that you described a thing that two of the "localista" coffee shops here do.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

How could you translate a Lorentz factor into coffee? I don't... understand...