New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    More so, I was referring to Tai describing her suggestion as "sh***y" and Dora thinking of sending Faye a gift to apologise. Maybe that was meant to be a joke or even a bit of sarcasm on Dora's part, but to me it seemed like a big overreaction.
    Faye was invited out, she didn't like it, she went home; fair enough. No one "owes" each other anything in that situation, except maybe a quick text to apologise for being a little bit thoughtless?
    I think we can agree here. This is all a bit of exchanged thoughtlessnesses. Dora and Tai should have thought of a bar being a problem. Fate should have said goodbye (I don't feel it is at all clear if she did), and no one owes each other a fruit basket.

I do appreciate that, but thank you for clarifying it. I still believe that it is somewhat inconsistent with her previous behaviour, where drunk people came back to the apartment with Marten and had a small party also with booze and she was completely okay with it. I'm NOT saying that recovering addicts don't have peaks and troughs where some days are better or worse than others because they absolutely do; I just wish there was some indication of Faye going through that rather than being okay with one and suddenly not with the other, it would make the story flow better and the swings seem less jarring.
    You are not wrong. Faye previously being okay with drinking happening around her does seem incongruous, although other people drinking at her home and her being in a bar could quite realistically have different weight (although given her previous problem with home-drinking I'd say it would make more sense for it to be reversed). Jeph clearly writes from the hip, and things become important as he thinks of them. This is a very real limitation of the strip as a whole, and if one wanted to, perhaps critique him on it. I don't think anyone would deny that Jeph has some limitations as a storyteller.

I first heard it as a boxing term - kids' gloves only weigh 6oz, compared to adults 10-14oz, so it's 'nicer' to be hit with them
    That probably has more real world resonance form most everyone in the modern world. Nowadays if one were handling something fine, you'd probably use something like disposable latex gloves or the like.

See, I was wondering if I was being unnecessarily cynical - Jeph, recovering alcoholic, writing a comic about how people should always be really nice to recovering alcoholics regardless of their previous actions and offences? I mean no ill-will to the guy in any way, so I accept that I should reconsider that idea. Possible it's that which so irked me in the beginning, for unjust reason.
    That would certainly explain the comments like, "How selfish of you, it's not as though Faye is a grown person capable of making informed decisions for herself or anything," and, "Faye is still the same selfish person making bad choices, but we should feel sorry for her because she's chosen to inconvenience herself? That recovering addicts should be treated with kiddie gloves at the expense of our own happiness?" You seem really worried about Faye and selfishness. Why? Because you feel she is actually a bad person, because you feel she is getting special treatment, some other reason?

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mhm... what caused alcohol to suddenly be a problem again was meeting Sven. It put her in an emotional coil that her brain decided she needed alcohol to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    That probably has more real world resonance form most everyone in the modern world. Nowadays if one were handling something fine, you'd probably use something like disposable latex gloves or the like.
    That makes the person sound dirty and infected. I would suggest "fur handcuffs"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Makes sense From a phtsics standpoint. Force = Mass*acceleration, so a punch thrown with kid gloves would be anywhere from 42% to 60% as strong as the same punch thrown with adult gloves.

Or. Mayne I have to do the actual math because I'm not taking the weight of the fist itself into account...
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-05-15 at 04:16 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ettin in the Playground

You are not wrong. Faye previously being okay with drinking happening around her does seem incongruous, although other people drinking at her home and her being in a bar could quite realistically have different weight (although given her previous problem with home-drinking I'd say it would make more sense for it to be reversed). Jeph clearly writes from the hip, and things become important as he thinks of them. This is a very real limitation of the strip as a whole, and if one wanted to, perhaps critique him on it. I don't think anyone would deny that Jeph has some limitations as a storyteller.
    There's a fundamental difference between "we are in the same place, and you happen to be drinking" and "here we are, in the place that exists solely for drinking". Avoiding alcohol is a lot easier in an environment that is not literally constructed for the sole purpose of providing you with it.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    There's a fundamental difference between "we are in the same place, and you happen to be drinking" and "here we are, in the place that exists solely for drinking". Avoiding alcohol is a lot easier in an environment that is not literally constructed for the sole purpose of providing you with it.
    Like I said, "other people drinking at her home and her being in a bar could quite realistically have different weight."

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

So... Sven and May, huh.

Sure, I'll ship it.

7. - Top - End - #1327

Griffon

You seem really worried about Faye and selfishness. Why? Because you feel she is actually a bad person, because you feel she is getting special treatment, some other reason?
    I've spent a little bit of time introspecting on this one; I'm obviously very much at odds with the vast majority of the thread, and I'm not always able to accurately justify my perception which means I've probably missed something.

Spoiler: Because I've spent a lot of time on this subject and no doubt some of you are tired of it
    Show
    The bolded part is, I think, what is the outline of my issue. I don't dislike Faye; she's a very good character in the comic that has organic interaction with the others and generates interesting plotlines... But at the same time she isn't a very nice character and never has been. She's not a "bad person" and I'm not reproachful towards her because she's wicked/sinful/malicious or any of those other things, but she is rude, crude, unpleasant and has mistreated just about everyone that she knows including herself, and because of that last part everyone seems to have forgiven and forgotten in a way that I feel is unrealistically 'easy'.

I think I'm still waiting for some kind of laser-guided karma to strike her, just like Hollywood always tells me it will; that she'll have it pointed out that she was a **** to all of her friends and instead of making amends she avoided them for several months until they offered her a proverbial olive branch. And then she continued to call them names and threaten them with (admittedly comical) violence when instead she might want to reconsider advice about burning bridges.

TL,DR: She's still a cranky, abrasive person and I'm being snarky because she doesn't seem to have learned anything after her ordeal. I'm expecting some character growth about how her relationship with alcohol is reflected in her relationships with other people, when in all probability Jeph just hasn't gotten around to writing it yet.
    At least I haven't started a petition demanding that "a team of competent writers" are brought int to rewrite and refilm republish the previous two seasons the last film the last 500 strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    That makes the person sound dirty and infected. I would suggest "fur handcuffs"
    Isn't kid-skin a Biblical reference? Possibly the contemporary version might be silk gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Avoiding alcohol is a lot easier in an environment that is not literally constructed for the sole purpose of providing you with it.
    Possibly that is a part of her discomfort - as redundant as it sounds, she is treating the bar as "a bar". She was sat on a stool, at the counter, looking at the tender and asking for Beer But Not Beer - it's perfectly understandable that engaging in that sort of familiar habit has also stirred up the other habit of Having A Drink.

I'm no psychologist, but I wonder if, had she just gone and sat at a table with Dora and Tai, looking out of the window with her back to the bar and drinking coke or lemonade, it would have broken the "cycle" of "going to the bar and drinking alcohol" and have been more like being a less stressful place like a restaurant of café?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Colossus in the Playground

I think Jeph's intended evaluation of Faye, just like Jeph's intended evaluation of Brun and probably Bubbles, is somewhat skewed by Jeph's apparent belief that women threatening violence are inherently funny and endearing (see: all three I just mentioned).

I don't think Faye did anything wrong in the last few strips, with the possible exception of expecting Sven to automatically leave a public place because she demanded it. Neither did Tai, Dora, Marten, or indeed Sven.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

she is rude, crude, unpleasant and has mistreated just about everyone that she knows including herself, and because of that last part everyone seems to have forgiven and forgotten in a way that I feel is unrealistically 'easy'.

I think I'm still waiting for some kind of laser-guided karma to strike her, just like Hollywood always tells me it will; that she'll have it pointed out that she was a **** to all of her friends and instead of making amends she avoided them for several months until they offered her a proverbial olive branch. And then she continued to call them names and threaten them with (admittedly comical) violence when instead she might want to reconsider advice about burning bridges.

TL,DR: She's still a cranky, abrasive person and I'm being snarky because she doesn't seem to have learned anything after her ordeal. I'm expecting some character growth about how her relationship with alcohol is reflected in her relationships with other people, when in all probability Jeph just hasn't gotten around to writing it yet.
    Heh. This time I needed a reminder that this was a sitcom. Normally, In Real Life (TM) I find people who are overly concerned with someone else getting special privilege are 1) usually wrong, and 2) it says a whole lot more about them than those about whom they are complaining. However, good point, this is a sitcom (not Hollywood, but the same rules apply), and we do expect laser-guided karma. I had forgotten about that for a moment. Thanks for the reminder.

To that point, the thing is-- the alcoholism narrative does not fit into that story structure very well. Hollywood storytelling wants a protagonist and a villain. Perhaps the villain starts out seeming like a friend, and then you get that extra juicy sense of betrayal thing going on. At the climax, the tide turns from favoring the villain to favoring the protagonist, and the villain is vanquished/humiliated/receives their karma and the protagonist is bathed in cheers and upbeat music while the credits roll. In the alcoholism story there are just protagonists. One of them starts doing things badly. They start hurting themselves, hurting others, hurting the other protagonist. Then, at the climax, they get help, and start turning their life around, and reasonable people (including that hurt other-protagonist) treat it as a positive step. They then start being someone you hopefully want to see succeed again. Their life undoubtedly sucks*, but you can't really call it guided karma (and honestly if they did get a whole lot of karma, hopefully that would feel equally as unsatisfying if it happened after they started turning their life around). Instead there is just a slow, steady progression back from the dark place the were, and the functional, helpful, decent member of society you want them to be.
    *and here we have an unrealistic part of the story in Faye's situation. Although she and Bubbles are supposedly poor right now, we don't really see her suffering. May is really living the more realistic rehabilitation-story experience, complete with life that kind of sucks and a lot of doors closed to her because of her past.

That's one of the reasons Hollywood doesn't do crime well unless it's murder/rape/other unforgivable things. If we see the story of an ex con, they either have to be falsely convicted, been stealing bread to feed a starving child, be an imminently excusable crime (whatever context it may be), or maybe (maybe) an inexcusable one that happens before we meet this person ("yeah, I killed a man, but that was in the past and I'm trying to be good from here on out" works if we never met the person killed, and they don't resonate as real). We only want to see basically good (or we can tell ourselves they are) people get things going right for them by the end, or intrinsically bad people get totally destroyed (and then forgotten about). There's no place for the complexities of a real sinner working on redemption because that's rooting that instead of the villain getting what's coming to them, they stop being someone we thing has something coming to them.

Which is a long way of saying that I understand where you are coming from, when viewing the situation from a Hollywood story. I just don't think this story (and it's reasonable that it be one Jeph wants to tell) fits that structure very well, and that's where (IMO) the biggest issue is.

I'm no psychologist, but I wonder if, had she just gone and sat at a table with Dora and Tai, looking out of the window with her back to the bar and drinking coke or lemonade, it would have broken the "cycle" of "going to the bar and drinking alcohol" and have been more like being a less stressful place like a restaurant of café?
    That's really going to depend on her personal experience and what would be emotional triggers for her. I don't remember it being stated that she did a lot of going and getting sloshed at bars. Most of her worst behavior we saw on-panel was after dipping into a bottle of liquor at someone's apartment (I think Jeph liked to draw people holding whiskey bottles).

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think Jeph's intended evaluation of Faye, just like Jeph's intended evaluation of Brun and probably Bubbles, is somewhat skewed by Jeph's apparent belief that women threatening violence are inherently funny and endearing (see: all three I just mentioned).
    Oh, definitely. The sliding scale of comic seriousness is an issue with that particular trait. Kinda like how violence towards pintsize is inherently more allowable than towards anyone else, simply because he clearly exists in a more cartoonish world.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-05-16 at 12:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

I still posit that Brun only threatened Clinton with the (fact that she had access to a) harpoon in the first place because she was perceiving Clinton's attitude as a threat. Weird hill to die on but whatever.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I still posit that Brun only threatened Clinton with the (fact that she had access to a) harpoon in the first place because she was perceiving Clinton's attitude as a threat. Weird hill to die on but whatever.
    That was the intent, yes, and also absolutely why the shotgun was wildly inappropriate. She flat out told Clinton she perceived him as being belligerent and hostile, and was prepared to deal with any shenanigans he got into. Even the harpoon is a bit over the top for making that point, but a Shotgun changes it from "warning" to "aggressive threat".
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

That's how I looked at it too, especially given the noted very rough nature of that bar and its clientele.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Is the shotgun/harpoon going to become Jeph's "Loss"? It seems like a scab that people just can't stop picking at.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Is the shotgun/harpoon going to become Jeph's "Loss"? It seems like a scab that people just can't stop picking at.
    Well, it was a very poorly thought out joke... I'm not nearly as angry as others (maybe because I'm not from the US) but I can see why people would be touchy about the subject.

Also, I like it when May drops truth bombs. I like May.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

I continue to ship Sven and May.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #1336

Isn't kid-skin a Biblical reference? Possibly the contemporary version might be silk gloves.
    No, the earliest known reference to the expression of treating something with kid gloves is from the late 19th century. Far too recent to be biblical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidskin
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #1337

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I continue to ship Sven and May.
    I'm down for this too, but I'm also kind of sad that Momo's crush on Sven was never continued, too.

Maybe it could still happen? Sven and May agree to trying a "non car-crash" date (similar to Sven and Hannelore) so that Sven can practise non-sexual relationships and May can experience the joy of not being a wage-slave for a few hours, and then May casually mentions it to Momo... That could be fun.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    No, the earliest known reference to the expression of treating something with kid gloves is from the late 19th century. Far too recent to be biblical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidskin
    There was that time someone put on goatskins to pretend to be his overly hairy brother when talking to their blind father.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the same way Faye threatening to stab Marten way, way, WAY back in the first strip where she ever appeared does, as a data point in favor of "Jeph thinks it's hilarious when women threaten violence and doesn't understand why it's impacting anyone's opinions of his characters."

Also Jeph stuck in a callback to it it only last week, so it seems kind of odd to be complaining that it hasn't been forgotten.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

To that point, the thing is-- the alcoholism narrative does not fit into that story structure very well. Hollywood storytelling wants a protagonist and a villain. Perhaps the villain starts out seeming like a friend, and then you get that extra juicy sense of betrayal thing going on. At the climax, the tide turns from favoring the villain to favoring the protagonist, and the villain is vanquished/humiliated/receives their karma and the protagonist is bathed in cheers and upbeat music while the credits roll. In the alcoholism story there are just protagonists.
    That applies to action show and many dramas, but it doesn't really apply to most sitcoms. Most sitcoms don't even have an antagonist, much less a villain.

Of course, some people might not agree with you that QC is the webcomic equivalent of a sitcom, but even accepting that it is, I still can't agree with the rest of your analysis.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I feel as though May's demonstrated approach fails to account for the significant possibility that the response will be horror and discomfort, followed by an appeal to relevant authorities. I know people (particularly women) who consider such direct advances to be a particularly salient offense against their sense of ease.

22. - Top - End - #1342

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I feel as though May's demonstrated approach fails to account for the significant possibility that the response will be horror and discomfort, followed by an appeal to relevant authorities. I know people (particularly women) who consider such direct advances to be a particularly salient offense against their sense of ease.
    Hopefully that is the punchline? Sven is getting advice from someone who "has it all figured out"; That person is a robot who has no functional genitals, and whose chronic and uncontrollable impulsiveness suggests that it's probably a good thing that she doesn't.

He's conflicted, and May is like the little devil on his shoulder contrasted to Hannelore's little Angel, each urging him into some sort of sexual depravity or responsibility, respectively.

The alternative is that May is acting as Jeph's mouthpiece again. I kind of doubt that, as he usually doesn't do that in matters so shallow as picking up a date, but anything is possible in a world of sentient iPads.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

but we know May got the most basic body they could give her on release from robot jail
    so is she even equipped to bang?
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

24. - Top - End - #1344

Griffon

She doesn't have genitals, if that's what you mean. She has in the past, however, suggested that she could make use of her hands and mouth if she needed to (and could find a decent pair of soft gloves - the joints in her bare fingers are likely to "pinch" apparently...)

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I'm giving May the benefit of the doubt (shocking) and assuming she isn't assuming Sven is starting with "wanna f--k," but, rather, has gotten to the point in the interaction where he's confirming that the woman does, indeed, want to f--k.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Nawh. Sven is hot. The rules are different for attractive people don'tcha know?

27. - Top - End - #1347

Well I'm giving May the benefit of the doubt (shocking) and assuming she isn't assuming Sven is starting with "wanna f--k," but, rather, has gotten to the point in the interaction where he's confirming that the woman does, indeed, want to f--k.
    I assume so, too. May has generally had a mentoring function, it would be extra-weird if she were seriously suggesting point-blanking random women with sexual proposals.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Griffon

I seem to recall that Sven has mentioned that he has actually tried this method, and it does in fact work for him (presumably because's he's a hot, rich musician.)
    I think he was talking to Marten, who dryly responded something like "Well, don't YOU have a blessed life"? It sounds very familiar... But it also might have been a Something*Positive strip, they have had the same discussion once or twice.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-05-20 at 05:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I assume so, too. May has generally had a mentoring function, it would be extra-weird if she were seriously suggesting point-blanking random women with sexual proposals.
    According to some people it's actually a valid tactic. You might get 20 slaps for every one that says yes, but eventually you'll apparently find someone who does. I never tried it myself

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a sitcom in comic form. I'm always going to assume incompetence and/or sarcastic productivity before belligerence.