New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

I'm reminded vaguely of Mab's discussion about the topic of trying to restain yourself when one has vast power.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So we get a Very Special Episode about the ethics of omnipotence instead?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Admittedly, it would be novel.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Now, I don't have anything against omnipotent people -- I have many omnipotent friends, I mean, more than one, and in college I dated an omnipotent girl. My mother had lots of omnipotent friends, too, so I met so many of them while growing up, my house was filled with omnipotents -- but...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I'm reminded vaguely of Mab's discussion about the topic of trying to restain yourself when one has vast power.
    See for me it was an odd series of fanfics where naruto basically becomes a god and he and kyuubi go reality hopping looking for interesting things to do, and at one point while tormenting an evil scientist guy by literally dropping him into a dungeons and dragons style dungeon, he starts pondering on if this is how other gods started interfering in mortal lives and how easy it is to treat people like the constructs he can just will into existence. Also some random asides in another fanfic where harry potter is the son of thor and they talk about how the various pantheons act.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    See for me it was an odd series of fanfics where naruto basically becomes a god and he and kyuubi go reality hopping looking for interesting things to do, and at one point while tormenting an evil scientist guy by literally dropping him into a dungeons and dragons style dungeon, he starts pondering on if this is how other gods started interfering in mortal lives and how easy it is to treat people like the constructs he can just will into existence. Also some random asides in another fanfic where harry potter is the son of thor and they talk about how the various pantheons act.
    I once read an evangelion fanfic where shinji found a warhammer 40k manual when he was little and Taldeer (one of his four delusions) taught him about the ethics of using farsight.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Huh. I suppose being trapped with yourself would be extremely lonely.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, Roko changes her mind quickly. Also, she can be kind of a jerk. Will this end with Them becoming a part of the ever expanding cast? I mean, a central part, like Roko did?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #159

Griffon

I liked this strip a lot. Despite initially being cautious, Roko's sudden good-natured banter with Squidbot immediately helps me understand how she came to be friends with Melon; Roko has a soft spot for dorks and picks them up out of habit.

I'm suddenly struck by the parallels between this and Marten, in fact.

Squidbot is pale-skinned, dark haired and brooding with a 'maturity' over the other cast members? That's pretty much Dora.
    Melon is cute and amusing but prone to bouts of unstable randomness? Hannelore.
    May is sarcastic and crude, but underneath vulnerable. Faye, if ever I heard it.

I like this direction for Roko; Despite her flaws she's just a generally nice person who just wants to help people out and isn't too worried about the repercussions.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm down for more Spookybot if it means more focus on Roko. Roko's the most interesting character in the comic to me, and has been for a bit. Also bread.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Huh. I suppose being trapped with yourself would be extremely lonely.
    then the dogs haven't done their job propperly.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

12. - Top - End - #162

Heh I like the turnaround. Spooky revealed some vulnerability, and roko is showing a gentle teasing and acceptance here. My guess from this comic is, her usual reaction to spooky was because she also disliked the idea of mystery smug deus ex machina showing up and interfering. Now that she knows spooky wont do that, and is looking for a friend instead, she feels free to treat spooky like one.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I'm down for more Spookybot if it means more focus on Roko. Roko's the most interesting character in the comic to me, and has been for a bit. Also bread.
    Speaking of bread, I wonder if we'll get a sub-arc about her discovering one way or the other whether her... quirck... is still there.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I like Roko a lot, I just don't like the "wrong body" or "gad wants to mak friends" plot. I don't want to dig up the argument about her job change but just focus on the bread fetish are her normality in all the craziness and I don't mind her being the focus characer.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My thing with Spookybot is that I would have been fine with their introduction as an AI that is good enough with AI mind manipulations that they resolved an AI equivalence to split personality (worded this way because while human psychology doesn't work this way, sci fi AI may) by dividing out among multiple bodies with a coordinated central "host". So instead of doing their omnipotence across the world, I could see it as having them have "bodies" in various places that just caught wind of what Bubbles was doing (say that part of them is actually working with Station).

So you don't have a "god" character, just a being with a fundamentally different way of viewing the world than everyone else in the story. Their process makes them equivalent to Station, but utilised in a fashion that makes them terrifyingly more effective then Station can be in his current capacity.

16. - Top - End - #166

I'd love to give an Indian Burn to Cthuluh

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh, I like Roko a lot, I just don't like the "wrong body" or "gad wants to mak friends" plot. I don't want to dig up the argument about her job change but just focus on the bread fetish are her normality in all the craziness and I don't mind her being the focus characer.
    What else is there that is Roko that we know about? She was a cop, she has a strong connection to her body (to the level of psychosomatically fainting at damage to it), she has a bread fetish, and... hangs out with Melon?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    What else is there that is Roko that we know about? She was a cop, she has a strong connection to her body (to the level of psychosomatically fainting at damage to it), she has a bread fetish, and... hangs out with Melon?
    She has a conscience and cares about doing the right thing (or at least trying to).

She's well-adjusted to life in the "human world" (unlike Melon and some others).
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-01-24 at 01:19 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

All things being equal, I think I'd rather have the god/devil AI be aware that they struggle with ethics, what with them apparently actually caring about them even if it's difficult. And I don't know about anyone else, but I find "the God AI isn't sure if it's doing the right thing" to be a lot less scary than "the God AI is certain it's doing the right thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    All things being equal, I think I'd rather have the god/devil AI be aware that they struggle with ethics, what with them apparently actually caring about them even if it's difficult. And I don't know about anyone else, but I find "the God AI isn't sure if it's doing the right thing" to be a lot less scary than "the God AI is certain it's doing the right thing."
    Those who worry if they're doing the right thing are far more likely to do the right thing than those who are always certain they are doing the right thing.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I agree, in addition, giving the godly ai ethical struggles gives it character development space. One thats already certain it knows everything is boring as there is no place to really go with it. You know, unless jeph turns this into a sci fi thriller as our heroes try to defeat the all powerful ai that has determined /insert civilization ending logical over reach here

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I agree, in addition, giving the godly ai ethical struggles gives it character development space. One thats already certain it knows everything is boring as there is no place to really go with it. You know, unless jeph turns this into a sci fi thriller as our heroes try to defeat the all powerful ai that has determined /insert civilization ending logical over reach here
    I wonder how the fans would react if that was the case. "Turns out SpookyBot wanted to have anthropomorphic experiences so it could check that off the list. Now it's certain it's doing the right thing and is off to end the world in what may or may not be a cliché manner."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #173

#1: OMG Police brutality!
    #2: This is a good way to bring a character that didn't have anything to do with QC in line with the comic.
    #3: I await Squidbot meets Pintsize.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In as much as im pretty sure they said it once before. Didn't their action on Corpse Witch amount to invading her mind and threatening to mentally torture her for the rest of her existence if she didn't surrender herself to the police?

That sounds an awful lot like "do as I say, not as I do" to me.
    Beings who struggle with the concept of ethics often rely on rules that seem arcane and arbitrary to someone with a firmer grasp of ethics. Torture may not seem any better than direct mind molding, but one violates the rules Spookybot set for themself about sanctity of the mind, and the other does not. Of course, everyone influences each other's minds with varying degrees of directness, so Spookybot had to pick a point where such influence becomes a violation - and there's no guarantee they chose the RIGHT point.

25. - Top - End - #175

I just LOVE Roko's expression on the 3rd panel

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

"No, that's definitely not it."

27. - Top - End - #177

Griffon

Jesus H Christ, that expression in panel 6 is creepy, and not just for the reptilian irises....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-01-25 at 04:02 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

"Well *I* think they're charming." -Jeff

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Well *I* think they're charming." -Jeff
    That's basically Jeph's MO for all his pets.

30. - Top - End - #180

NExt thread title?
    Resident Vancian Apologist