New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    But where's Winslow?
    He's in a polyamorous mairrage with a shy snarky girl from wisconson and a roomba.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    It's especially weird because a lot of us fall into the ironic "we are trash/ put ke in the trash along with x" while also agreeing with Miyazaki that "anime was a mistake."
    Which is something the old man of anime never actually said.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Which is something the old man of anime never actually said.
    I know, but it's kind of hard to make a meme out of "Almost all Japanese animation is produced... by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans."

Also three fake quote can extend to various problems with the medium, such as overreliance on contrived "sexy" moments (often involving characters who are supposed to be teenagers) to keep your audience because you don't believe your plot, characters, worldbuilding, or other parts of your story can do it, either because you lack confidence in your own writing ability or feel like the T&A is what the audience is here for in the first place.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-01-31 at 11:22 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also three fake quote can extend to various problems with the medium, such as overreliance on contrived "sexy" moments (often involving characters who are supposed to be teenagers) to keep your audience because you don't believe your plot, characters, worldbuilding, or other parts of your story can do it, either because you lack confidence in your own writing ability or feel like the T&A is what the audience is here for in the first place.
    Or they just like drawing boobs. like Hiromu Arakawa. Nobody complains when she does it.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

The suit went from fitting Dale like a glove, to fitting Marigold like a glove.

Emily has technology that could change the clothing world overnight, and make her unbelievably rich. And she probably can't see it, and won't sell it.

(I bet she could make a suit that would give actual super-powers...)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

Emily, the librarian. OK. She also made a pullover for Bubbles, didn't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #247
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Emily, the librarian. OK. She also made a pullover for Bubbles, didn't she?
    Yes, a cube of material that when you pinch the corner it turned into a cardigan I think.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Hasn't it been implied that her clothing tricks are skirting the edges of her agreement to not make some past discovery public?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Or they just like drawing boobs. like Hiromu Arakawa. Nobody complains when she does it.
    I'm not sure about her other work, but I can count on one hand the number of times in the entire 62 episodes of FMA (Brotherhood) that the story halted to draw attention to a character's breasts.

This is opposed to having your entire anime turn into engineered situations that are clearly just there for people who want to see the B.A.T.s

But we're getting off-topic. We can pick this up in the anime thread if you're so inclined.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Hasn't it been implied that her clothing tricks are skirting the edges of her agreement to not make some past discovery public?
    It's been implied that her programming generally is skirting the boundaries of some sort of nefarious computational horror, since the project she complied that pulled out the eldritch runes had to be EMPed by some sort of government agency. This seems to imply that the QC universe has access to some kind of Laundry Universe style computational sorcery, and that Emily's savant-like programming techniques skirts the boundaries of what is permissible without unleashing mecha-Cthulhu.

That might, though who knows given this universe, preclude a mass market rollout of this technology.

However, what this, and the cardigan experiment, do indicate is that the QC universe has access to some very advanced 3D printing technologies that have yet to be integrated into the broader economy. That leads back to the generally future shocked nature of the post-singularly run of QC.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It's been implied that her programming generally is skirting the boundaries of some sort of nefarious computational horror, since the project she complied that pulled out the eldritch runes had to be EMPed by some sort of government agency. This seems to imply that the QC universe has access to some kind of Laundry Universe style computational sorcery, and that Emily's savant-like programming techniques skirts the boundaries of what is permissible without unleashing mecha-Cthulhu.
    Wait wait wait -- did Emily cause the singularity?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Emily is kind of annoying as a character because she's really just Raven turned up to 11.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Wait wait wait -- did Emily cause the singularity?
    The singularity happened in #1777, Emily wasn't introduced until #2203, over 400 strips later, so probably not. I was making a reference to #2853

Hypothetically, perhaps the NRO didn't entirely eliminate Emily's project and she's the one responsible for Spookybot's existence. This would make sense chronologically anyway, since Spookybot refers to Station et al. as 'elders.'
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

14. - Top - End - #254

Right, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Emily is kind of annoying as a character because she's really just Raven turned up to 11.
    Well, she doesn't have Raven's sexual promiscuity. Otherwise, yes, they are similar, except for Emily being eternally out of touch while Raven was gullible to the point of idiocy. From my point of view, she's Ethan from CAD, minus the deliberate aggressions.

The problem with these characters is that they are so fickle, that they do not serve any role in character development for the rest of the cast. Clinton's thing with Emily could probably have been done with any other single female character, and it would have been the same.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can someone please tell me where to start reading from?

I tried going back a few pages. I came across one that looked like human-Pinkie Pie talking to human-Rarity, but neither one behaved right. Go back one more page, and now they are talking to each other, and behaving like Pinkie and Rarity.

Where do I start reading from to be able to follow the current story line, or (like Schlock) is there a better place to start from?

(I'd start a schlock reader on book 10, as an example. Just after the fake memories are planted, and Petey is temporarily out of their lives.)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

16. - Top - End - #256

I would start from the beginning, simply because the early strips are better than the current.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

I would start from the beginning, simply because the early strips are better than the current.
    Plus there's some context for current dialogue and jokes that starts out really early.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Colossus in the Playground

If you want to understand all of the plot, you need to start at the beginning; it was always an arc comic, there's no point at which it transitions from a gag-a-day style comic.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

You can start around 500, where Faye drops her tragic backstory. Maybe a few beforebthsg
    Thatb so you get time Marten Pining.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Start at the beginning so you know the backstory but go into it knowing it doesn't really get good until about comic 200 or so. It's worth it though, since from that point up until about comic 1900 it's one of the best webcomics around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I complain because the strip was great, and is still good but keeps missing the mark.
    More-or-less my view as well, though at this point, I'm not sure that I still consider the comic or, or if I'm just continuing to read it out of habit.

I date the drop-off in quality to about the time the library interns showed up. Before that, it was usually great, with occasional slips, and had a lot of characters I liked (at least as characters; some of them I wouldn't really want to have to deal with IRL); now, there's still some good, even occasionally great, bits, but overall, it's mostly just OK and full of characters I either actively dislike (f.e. Brun, Emily, Melon) or simply don't care much about one way or the other.

22. - Top - End - #262

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I mean, there's only like, 5 characters. Bland, Sassy, Quirky, Zany, and Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post

I tried going back a few pages. I came across one that looked like human-Pinkie Pie talking to human-Rarity, but neither one behaved right. Go back one more page, and now they are talking to each other, and behaving like Pinkie and Rarity.
    Just a heads up, if you came here expecting a pony-based comic, you're in for disappointment.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

23. - Top - End - #263

There' a comic called No Pink Ponies. It also doesn't have ponies.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-02-03 at 04:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

Imp

There' a comic called No Pink Ponies. It also doesn't have ponies.
    Truth in advertising.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I just now got why the pony thing came up... it's the butt emblem, isn't it? The ponies have some sort of brand on their haunches, right?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Cutie Marks, if I remember correctly. But yes.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Cutie Marks, if I remember correctly. But yes.
    You do. But as far as I know Hasbro hasn't been going so far to make them brand logos.

And I hope this will be a one comic joke and not a repeat of the storyline from a few years ago..
    Also, is robosexuality common place suddenly because we had an arc about it? A sudden surge of AIs and all need to establish their (lack of) relationship / interest in meatbags.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

And no we'll follow the Adventures of Robot Lesbian Voldemort.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

i went back to refresh myself about the singularity you guys were talking about(and it was a pain just hitting random til i was somewhere close..is there no way to get to a certain page?)
    and i kept reading and found this bit of foreshadowing
    https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2262
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    i went back to refresh myself about the singularity you guys were talking about(and it was a pain just hitting random til i was somewhere close..is there no way to get to a certain page?)
    The Archive link on top lets you scroll through all the previous comics, or you just go to the URL and change the number at the end to whatever comic you wanna jump to