The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

I'm not an idiot, Black. I know there are bad men in power and the world is not an equitable place -- but you can't throw morality in the garbage just because life's tough!

- Superman

Resurrection Roundabout

A game of Masks

STARRING
    PhoeKun as Errant
    Raz_Fox as @Sarahphim
    Eldest as Ferra
    Balmas as Brainstorm

The year is 200X. It is the future.

For almost a century the world felt like it was on the brink of annihilation. Its defenders were legends, of course - paragons who through courage and sacrifice saved humanity from the worst the universe had to offer. Statues were built in their honour, and Neo Halcyon City has holidays to remember them by. But that was then. This is now. All the legends are dead or old enough to be thinking about being dead and it's time to hand off power.

The question is who they're going to be handing it off to.

So ever seen that episode of Justice League where they go to the future and Batman is old? That's the kind of vibe that I want here.

Over time tech has proliferated. What used to be a C-list supervillain weapon is a civilian sidearm, and while unleashing a giant killer robot on downtown Halcyon is still the supervillain equivalent of 'hello world' the police response comes in armed mechas rather than cop cars and pistols. Metahuman based corporations, both hero and villain founded, have effectively rendered the governments of the world obsolete as a problem solving engine.

Security is... patchy as a result.

Some areas are perfectly safe utopias with around the clock metahuman defense. Some areas are the wild west. If you're in the wrong part of town and you run into the wrong kind of guy all you can do is hope for one of those rare few superheroes who still do things the old fashioned way.

So, welcome to Masks! Before we get started I just want to have a chat about genre assumptions. Superheroics can be done in a billion different ways but the same ideals need to be consistent throughout the story, so everyone pitch in with what superheroics means to you. While I get to set the game's initial aesthetic, the specific themes and setting rules depend on the players and the characters.

My baseline assumptions look like this:

- Superheroes don't kill. This is the definitive feature of a superhero to me. Without it it's a totally different genre. I mean, I am totally prepared to extend the courtesy of ridiculous A-team style escapes from spectacularly exploded helicopters or use robots as a chance for people to cut loose. But if you're going to take a life it's going to be totally deliberate and quite possibly the end of your character's story.

As a little side note to that, I will try to avoid having villains who are so reprehensible that killing them would be the objectively correct move.

- This is a superhuman society. We're well beyond the point of hiding it, it's a fact of life. There are superhuman TV shows, cage fights, statues in the streets. Society is shifted accordingly. There's no government around to enforce any registration or mandatory training programs, and there's no central Justice League co-ordinating hero efforts globally. There are a bunch of smaller groups who look after specific areas, either as vigilantes, corporate authorities, or otherwise. Some of these organizations are unironically good - think, like, Batman successfully turning Wayne Enterprises into the supplier for the Gotham PD. But they are territorial and limited in scope and there are entire areas that are poorly protected.

- You have the potential to be the best. You're certainly not there yet, but you are the kind of people who might one day throw down for the fate of the world. You may or may not know and/or believe this in character.

I've set the game in a cyberpunk-adjacent setting, but that's mostly aesthetics at this point - as a MC I have very limited ability to set themes in advance. If nobody picks a playbook that engages with that directly then it really won't come up that much. My villains will be designed as rogues galleries specific to each player character so questions like 'are there evil megacorps?' are mostly going to be answered by 'is the existence of an evil megacorp relevant to anyone?'
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-10-08 at 03:40 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

2. - Top - End - #2

Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-23 at 06:57 AM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

Hello all, excited to see who all's here.

Edit: Questions for Thanqol and the group at large: thoughts about time travel, aliens, or magic? They all seem a little out-of-theme from the look presented so far, so I figured I'd throw out the question so I could see if anybody had strong feelings one way or the other? Time travel is important for the Innocent, Harbinger, and arguably the Nomad, and aliens for the Outsider and (again, arguably) the Nomad. Magic is not required for any playbook I'd say, but it's another question that should probably be brought up.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-12 at 07:18 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Edit: Questions for Thanqol and the group at large: thoughts about time travel, aliens, or magic? They all seem a little out-of-theme from the look presented so far, so I figured I'd throw out the question so I could see if anybody had strong feelings one way or the other? Time travel is important for the Innocent, Harbinger, and arguably the Nomad, and aliens for the Outsider and (again, arguably) the Nomad. Magic is not required for any playbook I'd say, but it's another question that should probably be brought up.
    I think that that doesn't need to be decided by group consensus ahead of time. I think there are aliens if someone picks the Outsider, and if no one picks the Outsider then there are no aliens. If every single player opts to pick a magic user then the theme of the game becomes magic, but if everyone goes a tech route then the game can be straight up science fiction.

While this stuff doesn't need to be established if you've got an idea you want to push people in the direction of you can take this opportunity to raise it. Most things can synth with the aesthetic, but make sure what you do pick does synth with the aesthetic.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-12 at 08:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Today's the last day of Awesome Games Done Quick and I fully intend to let myself be distracted by that all day so I'm not going to have anything substantive to say until tomorrow, but seeing as this entire thread is my fault I thought I should at least say hello.

So hello! It's nice to be back in these parts. Non-sequitur/big mood

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

[QUOTE=Thanqol;23631570]So, welcome to Masks! Before we get started I just want to have a chat about genre assumptions. Superheroics can be done in a billion different ways but the same ideals need to be consistent throughout the story, so everyone pitch in with what superheroics means to you. While I get to set the game's initial aesthetic, the specific themes and setting rules depend on the players and the characters.[quote]

Heroes are hopeful. Ultimately, I think, my superhero comics preferences revolve around hope and the idea that anybody can make a difference, no powers required. Sure, times might be dark right now, but that just means that when somebody lifts up a light it's twice as bright. Anywhere you have someone who's doing their best to help someone else, there's the potential for heroism.

Superheroes should be kind. While I recognize that anti-heroism can be fun, especially in a roleplay about teen heroes discovering who they are, my platonic ideal of a hero is built around kindness. A hero shouldn't take joy in causing pain, in terrifying his opponents. To my mind, a hero has a duty to be the best that humanity has to offer. Think a really well-written Superman story.

Superheroes are human. Beyond the powers, and the fight choreography, and the saving the world, I think that heroes are the most interesting when they're at their most human. When they're vulnerable, scared, and so on. There's nothing so boring as a hero without flaws, after all. I want to explore what it is to go home, shrug off the mask, and finally let go all the stress that you've been bottling up because F*** that laser came within two hairs of taking your head off and what are you doing, you saw your life flash before your eyes and it was a short film, and you're so scared right now but you need to put on a brave face for the other people in your group, and you wind up stress-crying yourself to sleep. Give me heroes with emotions, dammit.

My baseline assumptions look like this:

- Superheroes don't kill. This is the definitive feature of a superhero to me. Without it it's a totally different genre. I mean, I am totally prepared to extend the courtesy of ridiculous A-team style escapes from spectacularly exploded helicopters or use robots as a chance for people to cut loose. But if you're going to take a life it's going to be totally deliberate and quite possibly the end of your character's story.
    When I read "no killing" in the other thread, my initial gutpunch reaction was that a world with no threat of death hanging over the heroes and the people they care for would be a world with a lot fewer stakes to worry about. This makes a lot more sense in context, and I totally agree.

- This is a superhuman society. We're well beyond the point of hiding it, it's a fact of life. There are superhuman TV shows, cage fights, statues in the streets. Society is shifted accordingly. There's no government around to enforce any registration or mandatory training programs, and there's no central Justice League co-ordinating hero efforts globally. There are a bunch of smaller groups who look after specific areas, either as vigilantes, corporate authorities, or otherwise. Some of these organizations are unironically good - think, like, Batman successfully turning Wayne Enterprises into the supplier for the Gotham PD. But they are territorial and limited in scope and there are entire areas that are poorly protected.
    Alright, lemme prod around the edges here, see if I can't stir up some ideas.
    -Is this a global superhero society? By that I mean, are there superheroes in other countries? Depending on how rare superhumans are, I could see governments wanting to make sure that other countries don't poach their best superheroes.
    -Why isn't there government interference in this stuff? It seems to me like it'd be exactly the kind of thing that the government would want to regulate, that superhero actions would be the subject of international laws. Is that down to lack of ability to enforce?
    -Just how common are superpowers? Is this a situation like My Hero Academia where basically everyone has a power, but some are not strong or suitable enough for combat?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Heroes are hopeful. Ultimately, I think, my superhero comics preferences revolve around hope and the idea that anybody can make a difference, no powers required. Sure, times might be dark right now, but that just means that when somebody lifts up a light it's twice as bright. Anywhere you have someone who's doing their best to help someone else, there's the potential for heroism.

Superheroes should be kind. While I recognize that anti-heroism can be fun, especially in a roleplay about teen heroes discovering who they are, my platonic ideal of a hero is built around kindness. A hero shouldn't take joy in causing pain, in terrifying his opponents. To my mind, a hero has a duty to be the best that humanity has to offer. Think a really well-written Superman story.

Superheroes are human. Beyond the powers, and the fight choreography, and the saving the world, I think that heroes are the most interesting when they're at their most human. When they're vulnerable, scared, and so on. There's nothing so boring as a hero without flaws, after all. I want to explore what it is to go home, shrug off the mask, and finally let go all the stress that you've been bottling up because F*** that laser came within two hairs of taking your head off and what are you doing, you saw your life flash before your eyes and it was a short film, and you're so scared right now but you need to put on a brave face for the other people in your group, and you wind up stress-crying yourself to sleep. Give me heroes with emotions, dammit.
    General agreement. I'd totally push back on heroes being kind, though, because Batman is BFFs with Superman and he is, uh, not kind. As a personal taste it's fine and as something to aspire to or push as a character motivation it's great, but it's not going to be a genre rule.

Alright, lemme prod around the edges here, see if I can't stir up some ideas.
    -Is this a global superhero society? By that I mean, are there superheroes in other countries? Depending on how rare superhumans are, I could see governments wanting to make sure that other countries don't poach their best superheroes.
    I think the answer to this is out of scale. I am saying that there's no Justice League operating out of an orbital watchtower running worldwide hero teams. Maybe there was in the past if that's relevant to anyone. I'm thinking more local territorial stuff.

-Why isn't there government interference in this stuff? It seems to me like it'd be exactly the kind of thing that the government would want to regulate, that superhero actions would be the subject of international laws. Is that down to lack of ability to enforce?
    The government's role, if any, in the story is entirely dependent on if anyone is playing something like the Soldier playbook. I envision a world where LexCorp, Wayne Enterprises, Stark Industries etc have had 50 years of supergenius leadership to orient themselves around superhuman research and defense. Those kind of independent powers performing government services would hollow out the government's power over the long term.

But that's just my general feeling, as always what actually matters is someone saying 'I want to play someone like Captain America in a cyberpunk future' and then all those themes actually become relevant and they get the biggest say into what the government actually looks like in 200X.

-Just how common are superpowers? Is this a situation like My Hero Academia where basically everyone has a power, but some are not strong or suitable enough for combat?
    There's not a particularly high rate of people being born with powers, but it is a setting where, like, LexCorp has spent fifty years trying to throw mutagens into the town's water supply and has some of the time succeeded, and also where you can buy Mr. Freeze's gun at the local gunshop. The basic level of danger is higher than in the past, but you guys also have more going for you to compensate. A street thug with a ray gun is about the same threat that a street thug with a regular gun would have been in the past.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-12 at 04:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to spitball out a bunch of short ideas here.

Janus: I'd seriously consider just running back Source, changed a bit. I don't generally like to do that she did not get enough play for how much I liked her. Probably not though.

Legacy: My thoughts for this were based a little around having watched MHA recently (somewhere in the middle of season 2 now, it's quite good), with this setting mashed in a bit. Man invents augmentation procedure, man becomes superhero long ago, man preforms procedure on next generation, all well and good, till one of the members, the one right before my person took on the mantle, decided "screw this" and became a villain with it. Tossing into the mix that I was planning on having the Legacy themself be from one of the poorer, less well protected zones, and they'd have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about the whole thing given "sure, you saved the city and all, but you ignored the heck out of this neighborhood".

Reformed: At one point, I want to play a Reformed, but I got nothing for this game.

Newborn: This one, I think, is compelling in large part because I think they'd be able to question the setting and elaborate on it very well, by not knowing/understanding about any of it. I can't think of much beyond that and the Regeneration move sounding really, really neat.

Harbinger: Coming to the past to save the future! A fun concept, and certainly one I could pull. I'd probably be throwing together a new version of Kira, given she didn't get to properly do anything before the game folded last time. In short: Earth had a gray goo apocalypse, the surviving parts of humanity are part of a group of migratory fleets bouncing between areas, with the AI running the goo trying to assimilate them. Her ship-family infected themselves to get the processing power to figure out the time travel, then sent her back to try to fix it.

Soldier: The Legacy idea actually ended up stealing most of this one's thunder. (side note, it took looking at the names of the moves to go "oh my god that's Captain America, duh")
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-12 at 04:49 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    General agreement. I'd totally push back on heroes being kind, though, because Batman is BFFs with Superman and he is, uh, not kind. As a personal taste it's fine and as something to aspire to or push as a character motivation it's great, but it's not going to be a genre rule.
    Oh, I totally get that. I figured that if you asked, I should give an honest answer, which is that if you character doesn't have some element of kindness, it gets really hard for me to consider them a hero. If there's nobody you'll treat with respect, nobody you'll lift a finger to help, nobody you can think charitably about... can you really call yourself a hero?

RE Batman: His kindness really varies from writer to writer, I think. When I think of Kind Batman, I'm thinking of the Batman who spends an entire day with Harley Quinn because she's having a bad day, or quietly sits by the side of a dying girl so she won't be alone, or substitutes his own blood for that of a superpowered child so that the government will leave them alone, or sits and mourns with Mr. Freeze in a graveyard when Freeze freezes Gotham because his dead wife loved the snow. Yeah, he's not the cuddliest of heroes, but he's got a sense of empathy and sympathy that's uniquely his.

Heck, even an amoral merc like Deadpool has comics where he'll spend the night with a suicidal girl before driving her to a counseling center. No, he's not gonna force her to go, but yes, he thinks she'd benefit from getting help, and he's not equipped to give her the help she needs.

I think the answer to this is out of scale. I am saying that there's no Justice League operating out of an orbital watchtower running worldwide hero teams. Maybe there was in the past if that's relevant to anyone. I'm thinking more local territorial stuff.

The government's role, if any, in the story is entirely dependent on if anyone is playing something like the Soldier playbook. I envision a world where LexCorp, Wayne Enterprises, Stark Industries etc have had 50 years of supergenius leadership to orient themselves around superhuman research and defense. Those kind of independent powers performing government services would hollow out the government's power over the long term.

But that's just my general feeling, as always what actually matters is someone saying 'I want to play someone like Captain America in a cyberpunk future' and then all those themes actually become relevant and they get the biggest say into what the government actually looks like in 200X.
    Got it. Whether or not there's international/government intervention doesn't need to get fleshed out since it'll only really come into play if someone engages with it.

There's not a particularly high rate of people being born with powers, but it is a setting where, like, LexCorp has spent fifty years trying to throw mutagens into the town's water supply and has some of the time succeeded, and also where you can buy Mr. Freeze's gun at the local gunshop. The basic level of danger is higher than in the past, but you guys also have more going for you to compensate. A street thug with a ray gun is about the same threat that a street thug with a regular gun would have been in the past.
    So if I'm reading this correctly, it's more cyberpunk-adjacent than true cyberpunk. When I think cyberpunk, i think a future where megacorps have won, and there's a major element of both striking out against the Man and eking your way out within that system. This feels more like superheroes 20 Minutes Into the Future, almost a Big Hero Six situation.

Spoiler: Playbooks
    Show
    So, I'm just reading through these at this moment to get a feel for what I'd like to do. No character ideas so far, just feeling out what stands out.

The Beacon, naturally, stands out to me. I love the idea of being the team Heart, the everyday everyman who's joined a team because A) it's fun and B) it's the right thing to do.

The Nova stands out because I love Raven. I'm not so sure about the whole theming; it seems overly unhappy, almost. Maybe that's just me remembering Raven and overlaying it on the playbook.

The Legacy is amazing. I love the idea of having to deal with the pressure of expectations from previous generations, and deciding where exactly you sit in the pantheon of those who've gone before.

The Newborn's flavor is excellent. How come this isn't grabbing me? I'm not sure about how to play a robot learning to be a machine. Do I just play Data? I might just play Data. This is objectively a good idea.

The Star seems like an odd choice. Given what I just said about a hero needing at least a spark of kindness, playing a hero who treats heroism like a business would seem counterproductive. And yet, it's calling out to me as a counter to the Beacon, or maybe as something that could eventually evolve into the Beacon. Hmm. This will require some thinking.

The Brain stands out because I'd like my character to have an aspect of Gadgeteer Genius to them. Again, this is a character that is more of a support role, but that's okay when you have a robot minion willing to do your dirty work for you.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2019-01-12 at 07:21 PM.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

10. - Top - End - #10

Oh, I totally get that. I figured that if you asked, I should give an honest answer, which is that if you character doesn't have some element of kindness, it gets really hard for me to consider them a hero. If there's nobody you'll treat with respect, nobody you'll lift a finger to help, nobody you can think charitably about... can you really call yourself a hero?

RE Batman: His kindness really varies from writer to writer, I think. When I think of Kind Batman, I'm thinking of the Batman who spends an entire day with Harley Quinn because she's having a bad day, or quietly sits by the side of a dying girl so she won't be alone, or substitutes his own blood for that of a superpowered child so that the government will leave them alone, or sits and mourns with Mr. Freeze in a graveyard when Freeze freezes Gotham because his dead wife loved the snow. Yeah, he's not the cuddliest of heroes, but he's got a sense of empathy and sympathy that's uniquely his.

Heck, even an amoral merc like Deadpool has comics where he'll spend the night with a suicidal girl before driving her to a counseling center. No, he's not gonna force her to go, but yes, he thinks she'd benefit from getting help, and he's not equipped to give her the help she needs.
    *Nod nod*

So if I'm reading this correctly, it's more cyberpunk-adjacent than true cyberpunk. When I think cyberpunk, i think a future where megacorps have won, and there's a major element of both striking out against the Man and eking your way out within that system. This feels more like superheroes 20 Minutes Into the Future, almost a Big Hero Six situation.
    Cyberpunk elements will be present insofar as they engage with the relevant playbooks. Like, if someone picks the Brain and has their thing be that they accidentally created an AI, that brings in the whole very cyberpunk AI-and-transhumanism themes.

Its possible if everyone goes in that direction to play a straight cyberpunk game like this but the system is focused so much on personal issues and growth that there's no room for it if the players don't invoke it.

The Nova stands out because I love Raven. I'm not so sure about the whole theming; it seems overly unhappy, almost. Maybe that's just me remembering Raven and overlaying it on the playbook.
    I think the Nova is terribly designed mechanically. It's the only playbook that has such a, well, D&D style approach to 'you have exactly this number of powers and you can use them this number of times in this kind of way...' It feels like it was written for a different game.

The Star seems like an odd choice. Given what I just said about a hero needing at least a spark of kindness, playing a hero who treats heroism like a business would seem counterproductive. And yet, it's calling out to me as a counter to the Beacon, or maybe as something that could eventually evolve into the Beacon. Hmm. This will require some thinking.
    The Star bugged me for a bit until I figured out you can just play the character entirely straight, like an Allmight or Rarity type. Its moves and flavour suggest a certain amount of cynicism but that's not mandatory.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I spent two hours yesterday writing up a Legacy that drew from Alan Moore's Promethea and the new She-Ra, tackling "what happens when a Valkyrie-esque magic sword that appears before those who fight for those they love chooses a trans woman who wasn't out yet? suddenly you have all the power you need to set wrongs right and a body that matches your heart but this is ultimately temporary, the sword will pass on (especially if you nearly get yourself killed because it's still traumatized by the death of a wielder during the Normandy landings) and also you have to pass before the whole world as THE role model for girls everywhere while getting pushback from Twitter and 4chan, so have fun trying to do absolutely everything heroic you can in the time you have while preparing for a powerless future and also not making any mistakes at all," and then I came to read the thread and realized that the entire pitch was modeled for a contemporary Marvelesque setting and now I'm back to Square One. So long, Lady Arizona, it was cathartic to write for ya but I need a new approach for this post-Avengers world. (In fact, now that I write that, if I'd played up the temporary nature of the sword she could have been a Doomed- but, again, I need a new approach.)

Superheroes are New Myths. Superman is the child sent in the reed capsule to be raised by another family, who cloaks his true strength behind deceptions. Wonder Woman is the divine feminine, the child molded from clay, one who speaks the tongue of the gods. Ant-Man, in the comics, is the brothers Prometheus and Epimetheus, bringing fire to mankind as many times as he opens Pandora's Box. We tell these stories and then, once they're iconic, remix them as many times as we want. You know Hercules? He's part of the Argonauts now / You know Batman? He's old now, or a kid during the corruption of Gotham, or a vampire, or Sherlock Holmes. These figures are so iconic that we can do what we like with them, and even sit around and tell new stories about new gods on the internet.

(One day, I want to play an Outsider from under the hills. Not this game, probably, but... a flying chariot for a Kirbycraft, gossamer silks and silver swords and promises that they will never break, here because Lord, what loving fools these mortals be!)

Superheroes remind us You Can Be More. I actually loved Iron Man 3, if only because it showed us Stark struggling with trauma, broken and brought down, and then picking himself up every time and crawling forwards. You Can Be More. You might not be Superman, but you can speak up when you see an injustice. You might not be a tech millionaire genius, but you can still keep moving forwards no matter the obstacles. You might not be a girl with the power of squirrel, but you can still bring empathy and understanding to every situation, looking for solutions that don't require gratuitous violence. Superheroes, as symbols, are aspirational.

(Which is why Frank Miller's Batman is so scary. Respect power, he says. Anyone who opposes you is a corrupt fool. Violence is not just a tool, it is beautiful. Not every new myth is worth listening to.)

(The best Batman stories are the ones that remind you the world broke Bruce Wayne on that night, and against all odds, it made him kinder. A grim kindness, one that is determined not to let anyone else feel his pain, and yet it is there.)

Superheroes are Funny. look. listen. my favorite marvel movie is Ragnarok. my favorite current print run is Squirrel Girl. If there's not some light-hearted banter and wit, why are we even here? (okay, Jessica Jones is pretty dark, but even she gets some good zingers in with her sardonic attitude.)

Current Playbook Concepts:

The Star livestreaming superheroics. Hotter than you, more followers than you, and an attitude to match, which is almost certainly a front because she's not going to go back to the gutter, goddammit, she needs this corporate sponsorship. Current inspirations: D.va, Catra.

The Transformed finding that turning into a tree is not actually fun or helpful for your popularity. It's awkward finding clothes that fit, suddenly you're lounging outside by the solar panels most days, and the processing plant down by the bay feels like a rash that's harder and harder to ignore. Current inspirations: Swamp Thing, Detective Treebeard (he solves cases... very... slowly)

The Outsider because I lied, I always have room in my heart to play a fairy princess, mixing some strange elf magic into your cyberpunk. Current inspirations: A Wizard Abroad, Marvel's Thor.

Finally, there's a part of me that wants to use the Outsider or the Nomad to play a time traveler from the distant mythic past. It's not a fully fledged idea, just a crack idea that won't leave me alone, based entirely on that exchange from Night Watch where Vimes comes clean about being a time traveler and gets asked, "so... from how far back?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    (Which is why Frank Miller's Batman is so scary. Respect power, he says. Anyone who opposes you is a corrupt fool. Violence is not just a tool, it is beautiful. Not every new myth is worth listening to.)
    I do believe that gentleman's proper name is Crazy Steve.

Superheroes are Funny. look. listen. my favorite marvel movie is Ragnarok. my favorite current print run is Squirrel Girl. If there's not some light-hearted banter and wit, why are we even here? (okay, Jessica Jones is pretty dark, but even she gets some good zingers in with her sardonic attitude.)
    *furious pointing at DIS GUY*

Current Playbook Concepts:

The Star livestreaming superheroics. Hotter than you, more followers than you, and an attitude to match, which is almost certainly a front because she's not going to go back to the gutter, goddammit, she needs this corporate sponsorship. Current inspirations: D.va, Catra.
    Of these, I'd suggest that this is the one that gets the most out of being in this game specifically.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-12 at 10:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

So, after a bit of thinking, back around to the second part of this! Several ideas stated so far I agree with emphatically, so I'll focus on what I haven't seen as much of so far.

Superheroes are human. They have laundry, and rent, and an irrational enjoyment of dad jokes. They have to deal with petty drama with their divorced spouse, who is, naturally, also a superhero, because let's be real who else do you get to encounter enough to date as a superhero. The ability to have story time focused on your out-of-costume life is important to me, since that is in part what defines your in costume life. Batman is not the same if it's not Bruce Wayne, in part because of what Bruce Wayne brings to the story.

Superheroes have power. They can Do Things. Their mistakes, triumphs, fears, and failures should affect the world. This doesn't mean that it should go perfectly, or in fact resolve properly, but if I was to have my character focus strongly on defeating one particular gang, they should be able to do put a dent in the gang.

Superheroes do not have rigid hierarchy. There is not a Civil War style government oversight, there is no one person who you must obey, it is entirely possible to be independant or outside of the system. Heroes and hero teams might work together, might ignore each other, or might try to get in each other's way. This is the most flexible of the lot for me, but I do really prefer the option to have an independent, unaffiliated hero.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-12 at 11:28 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't suspect I'm going to be adding a lot to the conversation here, but for the sake of bringing myself to the table, let's make a list with a handful of bold words. Cripes, I do not miss formatting on this website. Ahem:

Superheroes are vulnerable - This is a subset of calling them human. Heroes need things that worry them: fears and insecurities and weaknesses beyond the occasional stick of Kryptonite. Even though they wear and deserve the mantle of Hero, they should be able to be played against each other, to make mistakes with awful feeling consequences, and to be sent reeling when these sorts of things happen. It's not a constant, looming threat, but the ability to come home from a mission, look at my face in the mirror and just burst into tears is something that I always keep on the table. It's especially important to me here, and I will always and forever be looking for opportunities to be weak so that I can shine a light on how I'm strong

Superheroes always get back up - you can beat them down and hurt them and shake them down to the core so that they'll get scared or doubt themselves, but at the rich nougaty center of every superhero is a speck of blazing starlight that won't go out. It means they believe in something that will push them through the bad times and convince them to keep putting themselves at risk for the sake of other people. They don't have to know exactly what that core is, necessarily. But it's there, in the greenest rookie and the most outwardly cynical veteran. If the light inside ever goes out, you can't be a hero anymore.

On a related note, Into The Spiderverse is a nearly perfect movie and if you haven't seen it you're hurting yourself. Anyway, hi hello! My name is Phoebe and I have come to write things at and with you. I write sentences with entirely too many commas, I can occasionally be slow to respond to things, and I am (historically at least) very bad about knowing when the fiction triggers moves in Apocalypse-style games. If these sound like things you can live with, then we'll have fun together. If not, I'm sure we'll work things out. See about the commas though? Yipes.

Moving onto the uh... playbooks? Skins? Archetypes? Masks? Whatever, the thingies with the stats on them. I'm brander than brand new to this particular system so I'm afraid I won't have very strong sales pitches for most of these, but here's the stuff that interests me, which will crystallize the more we workshop the group and get a sense of who everybody's playing and what themes are in play.

The Beacon: Not talented, but driven. Fundamentally kind, their strength isn't necessarily in what they can do, but in what they're willing to try and the connections they can make along the way. Very extremely Kagari Atsuko.

The Newborn: Working less from the standpoint of 'I have a character' and more 'this fits the themes of the game's aesthetic very well'. The last thing I did in the world of play-by-post before becoming mist was play a character who brought an AI into the world, and it would be interesting to be on the other end of that coin. Light shades of Aigis or Mash Kyrielight

The Soldier: Brave, loyal, naive. Engineered soldier and corporate puppet. Absolutely a foil to The Star, if someone plays one. Basically, I get to be a knight. This is something I am extremely good at. I'm also interested in the ways the original conception of this skin as part of N.O.T. S.H.I.E.L.D shifts and changes against the backdrop of corporate heroing and the vaguely chrome and neon future. Kirijo Mitsuru by way of Gawain (Green Knight interpretation)

The Scion: Rough and wild and confrontational, blows up almost as much as they save. A chip on their shoulder that could crush Atlas, but when they tell you they've got your back, your back is gotted, son. No particular model at the moment

I'd be really excited to get to play alongside this, if that influences your decision at all

15. - Top - End - #15

Excellent. Everyone's checked in and shared what makes them excited about superheroes. I've got a pretty good sense of where everyone's expectations are right now. I would describe the overall vibe of peoples' expectations as "Genuinely good people with an insanely stressful job". I think that's a great basis to form a game around. That fits in great with the aesthetic as established.

The floor is now open to start making characters. You don't need to go straight to a full sheet, though you can if you want to. If you want to talk over any concepts or try to get the thinking and lighting right this is the time for that.

On a related note, Into The Spiderverse is a nearly perfect movie and if you haven't seen it you're hurting yourself.
    Rad, I'll watch it today.

The Beacon: Not talented, but driven. Fundamentally kind, their strength isn't necessarily in what they can do, but in what they're willing to try and the connections they can make along the way. Very extremely Kagari Atsuko.
    It's simple, but there's immense power in that simplicity. The beacon's unique in that what they don't have makes them interesting.

The Soldier: Brave, loyal, naive. Engineered soldier and corporate puppet. Absolutely a foil to The Star, if someone plays one. Basically, I get to be a knight. This is something I am extremely good at. I'm also interested in the ways the original conception of this skin as part of N.O.T. S.H.I.E.L.D shifts and changes against the backdrop of corporate heroing and the vaguely chrome and neon future. Kirijo Mitsuru by way of Gawain (Green Knight interpretation)
    I resisted talking about Not Shield in my initial pitch because I could think about a wide range of ways it could go. The three branches that occurred were megacorp, illuminati, or last vestige of the government/old way of heroing. They're all interesting and will naturally theme around an organization trying to modernize itself - and wondering if it should. Catch is you've got to be very politically engaged, which might draw you away from other parts of heroing you might be interested in.

That said, I do agree that the Soldier and the Star have the best implied dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest
    Harbinger: Coming to the past to save the future! A fun concept, and certainly one I could pull. I'd probably be throwing together a new version of Kira, given she didn't get to properly do anything before the game folded last time. In short: Earth had a gray goo apocalypse, the surviving parts of humanity are part of a group of migratory fleets bouncing between areas, with the AI running the goo trying to assimilate them. Her ship-family infected themselves to get the processing power to figure out the time travel, then sent her back to try to fix it.
    Thinking about it, I think this is aesthetically a bad fit because we're already in the future. The tech and dystopia levels are already higher than normal so you wouldn't be able to really get much out of 'I came back from a terrible future into a golden past that I want to make sure survives'. You'd rather be coming back from a terrible future to a slightly less terrible future.

Janus: I'd seriously consider just running back Source, changed a bit. I don't generally like to do that she did not get enough play for how much I liked her. Probably not though.
    Again a bit of an aesthetic clash in the cyberpunk-adjacent future. Source relied a bit on reactionary pushback which gets harder to swing the more society's moved forward.

The Newborn: Working less from the standpoint of 'I have a character' and more 'this fits the themes of the game's aesthetic very well'. The last thing I did in the world of play-by-post before becoming mist was play a character who brought an AI into the world, and it would be interesting to be on the other end of that coin. Light shades of Aigis or Mash Kyrielight
    Newborn: This one, I think, is compelling in large part because I think they'd be able to question the setting and elaborate on it very well, by not knowing/understanding about any of it. I can't think of much beyond that and the Regeneration move sounding really, really neat.
    The Newborn's flavor is excellent. How come this isn't grabbing me? I'm not sure about how to play a robot learning to be a machine. Do I just play Data? I might just play Data. This is objectively a good idea.
    There's a majority of people liking this playbook's concept's fit with the setting but not having any specific ideas for the execution. I'd suggest if you're interested in this don't put your thought onto the Newborn themselves because their whole thing is manually assembling their identity - put your thought onto the creator and what they built it for. An always interesting solution is that it's an old hero/villain who built it to be a replacement for themselves now that they're getting old.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-13 at 04:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

In light of that, I think I'm going to tenatively claim Newborn.
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Anybody with half a brain can figure out how to be a capable superhero with a power like control over light itself. You could be an illusionist, a stealth expert, bending light around you and conjuring up constructs to fool the foe. You could be anywhere, and the superstitious and cowardly wouldn't know what's about to hit them until it's too late.

Of course, there are are always the people who immediately jump to "laser beams." They go zap zap zap, compressing light down to a rapier's tip, because that's brute-force easy, no need to think on your feet. Just melt the perp's gun and blow them off their feet with a laser like a blow to the solar plexus.

It takes a natural showman's instinct to take control over light and make it into high-speed performance art. The Japanese term is danmaku, "bullet curtain." Every day a new laser pattern, always playing "fair" and leaving an opening, making sure every shooting star and high-power beam dissipates harmlessly instead of blowing a hole through the backdrop.

That's show business, babe. Follow me on Twitch, @Sarahphim. Do it, loser.

On a related note, Into The Spiderverse is a nearly perfect movie and if you haven't seen it you're hurting yourself.
    It's almost certainly going to be released dubbed into Japanese over here, which makes me a sad fox.

Quote Originally Posted by PHOEKUN
    Anyway, hi hello! My name is Phoebe and I have come to write things at and with you. I write sentences with entirely too many commas, I can occasionally be slow to respond to things, and I am (historically at least) very bad about knowing when the fiction triggers moves in Apocalypse-style games. If these sound like things you can live with, then we'll have fun together. If not, I'm sure we'll work things out. See about the commas though? Yipes.
    PHOE'S BACK, PHOE'S BACK, PHOE'S BACK

Quote Originally Posted by PHOE'S BACK
    Possibly same Corporate sponsor as the Star? Or even bodyguard/handler. Which must be awkward, given that they're the same age and Sarahphim's got that smouldering mean girl hotness aura.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

18. - Top - End - #18

That's show business, babe. Follow me on Twitch, @Sarahphim. Do it, loser.
    With the Star, I personally would find it impossible not to take the 'my audience are frenzied shippers' drawback.

Do you imagine someone who's got a Streaming Chan style eyecameras, or deployable camera drones, or just really good at handling various reporters and crowds?

I actually quite like the idea of your most dedicated fans spending times obsessively going over all your fight scenes until they manage to spot the opening you left. It's like an easter egg for the most hardcore, the folks who spend hours going frame-by-frame over video clips from multiple different angles and building little 3D models of where the gap is.

It's almost certainly going to be released dubbed into Japanese over here, which makes me a sad fox.
    #subs4life

:same:
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-13 at 09:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Can confirm Into The Spiderverse is great.

I'm really glad we're at the stage of this comic book movie thing that we can be telling the weird big concept stories like this, not just Origin Story Again. Even if it sorta was just Origin Story Again. But it was very clearly 'look yall know who spider man is, lets just get into it'.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

@SARAHPHIM

On the flatscreen, she's a figure of power, arms crossed and shoulders straight. The red streak in her dark hair falls over her right eye, and her wicked grin suggests that she's challenging you, the viewer: want to see if you're good enough to beat @SARAHPHIM, jackass? You're not, but I'd love to see you try. On the flatscreen, she's wearing the bodysuit, a shifting series of stained-glass designs that make her look like she just strode down from the windows of St Martin's on Jefferson, and her ChRB drones fan around her head in a disquieting halo. Her feed scrolls at the foot of the flatscreen, reminding you that she's streaming patrol tonight. Pity whoever gets in her way.

Sara gives her alter ego an approving nod as you walk past. In public, she wears a dizzying array of names: a Maryam lightweave scarf that's in this season, an immaculate Dior blouse under her signature black leather jacket, and aviator shades by AtlasTech. (An intern regularly drops purchase links with flash sale discounts on her feed, and she goes out of her way to namedrop the brands in interviews.) That's part and parcel of the brand: being sharp as hell, on and off the beat. She took to it quick, though; it's an outlet. A way to tell the world that she's the best. That she deserves this. Keep up, idiots.

POWER
    Light Control.

LABELS
    DANGER 0
    FREAK 0
    SAVIOR 0
    SUPERIOR +2
    MUNDANE +1

AUDIENCE
    @SARAHPHIM's audience loves her for being dangerous and self-confident, vicious with the put-downs mid-stream and yet, simultaneously, enough of an artist that fans take hours reconstructing her patterns, looking for the loopholes. She's brilliant, knows how to wield her smoldering voice over the mic, and is (with the help of a gym regimen that sometimes has her face-down on the floor groaning) stunning in her photo-ops. Her fans tend to ask for autographs, the chance to try to beat one of her patterns (on low power), or to be pinned against a wall while she roasts them and then tells them to scram.

The advantages of her audience include the fact that she is connected to her various social media accounts easily and can elicit feedback with little more than a casual comment on stream, as well as the fact that she has fans from all over the world; those parts of it that are connected to the net, anyway. She's considering a New Zealand convention next year, actually; you'd be surprised how big she is over there. If you are into eheroics, you've heard of @SARAHPHIM at least once.

Her audience demands novelty and brand new action, improvements on the patterns and new ideas; they're surprisingly understandable of mistakes, as long as they're ambitious mistakes that back the narrative that she's an ambitious, cocky genius of aesthetic. Nothing worse than a boring stream, right? Speaking of boring, her audience has a sizable shipping community that constantly buoys her popularity, but if she ever picked somebody- game over. The flame wars would be uncontrollable. ("we popping the BIGGEST bottles when fireworks becomes canon tomorrow")

MOVES
    Stage-Fighting: when you Directly Engage a Threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll +Superior instead of +Danger.
    Cold and Cruel: when you shut someone down, roll +Superior. On a 10+, inflict a condition, shed their Influence or take Influence over them. On a 7-9, mutual condition infliction or mutual Influence loss, your choice. On a miss, they gain Influence over you.
    The gossip mags: when you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll +Superior. On a 10+, ask 3; on a 7-9, ask 1:
    • What are they up to?
    • What or who do they most care about?
    • What allies do they have? Enemies?
    • Where and when can I find them?
    • How could I make them vulnerable to me?

On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    Are you watching closely?: when you mislead, distract or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they’re fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose 3; on a 7-9, choose 2.
    • You get an opportunity!
    • You expose a weakness or a flaw!
    • You confuse them for some time!
    • You avoid further entanglement!

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it; mark a Condition.

The Audience: when you accept what the audience says about you, clear a condition. When you reject what the audience says, mark potential and expect retribution.
    Audience's Help: when you seek help from the audience, roll +Superior. On a hit, someone in the audience can hook you up. On a 10+, their demands are small. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've screwed up, and they won't help you until you redeem yourself in their eyes.

TEAM MOVES
    Triumphant Celebration: when you share a triumphant celebration with someone, declare whether it's all part of the show or not. If so, you shift labels. If not, then they can shift your labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.
    Vulnerability: when you share vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, the GM shifts your labels.

BACKSTORY
    Spoiler
    Show
    - When did you first appear onscreen?
    "Oh, god. I was so cheap back then, don't even make me think about it. I was still using a janky iTell 47m headset and smart-lens assemble when I tried streaming for the first time, and that only after word got around about me going after the Lensky mob. Figured I might catch someone's eye, and even if nobody had the brains to notice me, it was fun keeping up commentary while I worked. Puts me in the zone. The part of my brain that does the work can focus while I run my mouth. Don't ask to see the old streams. I don't save them. Besides, you want to see the best, watch yesterday's stream, moron."
    - What do you tell people about how you got your powers?
    "I caught the devil sneaking into my house and beat his ass until he offered me superpowers to save his skin. His first offer was plastic stretchy body, Elastigirl style. You believe that? I broke the coffee table with his pointy weaselbeard face and told the asshole to try again. So he offered me all the stars in the sky. I told him, look, I could do better than that- so he offered me the power to do just that. Bing bang boom, and now I'm cleaning up the streets. Too bad he's too chickenshit to ever come crawling back, I think I could squeeze him for flight this time with my #gymgains."
    - Who, outside of the team, supports your burgeoning star in every way possible?
    "Mami. She didn't raise no quitter! Any of you genetic cesspits say anything about her, anything at all, and I'll shove a bar of soap so far down your throat you're shitting bubbles tomorrow, got it? Then I'll kick you from stream, jagoff, see if I don't."
    - Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent?
    "Hey, @JuneBird, if you listening, call me when you can handle a spinning helix of laser spheres with enough precision to knock someone flat on their ass without incinerating them and then make every single one of them go poof without so much as scorching the wallpaper, and then we can talk. Oh, what's that? You can't? Then shut up and stop whining about my sponsors and let me do my damn job."
    - Why do you care about the team?
    "What, these idiots? I guess somebody's got to take care of them. Might get themselves hurt if they bite off something too big to chew. Besides, they make me laugh. Ha. Ha. You hear that? Proof."
    [the entire comment thread is just pictures of @SARAHPHIM holding hands with her teammates, draping her arms possessively over their shoulders, and generally violating their personal space]
    [also, gifs of that one time she ate an orange during an interview without peeling it first, and arguments about whether she actually knows how to eat an orange]

INFLUENCE
    All three of you idiots get Influence on @SARAHPHIM.

FIRST TEAM-UP
    As a team, we attracted the attention of a major media outlet in the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

NIGHTMARES
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Sara's nightmares, her fingers don't do anything in the dark. Two walls over, somebody's crying, rain's slapping against the window, and she's lying on the mattress snapping her fingers over and over again, trying to ignore the gnawing teeth of her hunger tearing her apart from the inside out, and nothing breaks the dark this time.

MUSIC
    Britney Spears - Circus
    Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
    Dorothy - Missile
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-08-07 at 05:23 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Ferra (Comstar Project 1)

Ethnicity: Robot
    Skin: Robot
    Clothes: I want a pretty dress...
    Costume: None

Labels

Danger: -1
    Freak: +2
    Savior: +3
    Superior: -2
    Mundane: +1

Potential: [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ]

Conditions

[ ] Afraid: -2 to directly engage a threat
    [ ] Angry: -2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask
    [ ] Guilty: -2 to provoke somebody or assess the situation
    [ ] Hopeless: -2 to unleash your powers
    [ ] Insecure: -2 to defend somebody or reject other's influence

Abilities

Super durability and strength: Ferra was designed to be a first responder to metahuman incidents. Surviving the incidents intact was an early goal.
    Solid light projection: Ferra was designed to be able to make simple constructs out of light and maintain them without attention. A shield, a wall, a dome, maybe a ramp. Time will tell what she's able to make.
    Thermal Control: Ferra was designed to modify temperatures of things she's touching. Melt her way through a wall, freeze a car so it stops being on fire, so on and so forth.
    Sonic Blasts: Ferra was designed with the ability to use different frequencies of sound in directed bursts as a crowd control effort, as well as disabling some tech with direct damage. Also, she can sing really well.
    Phasing Ferra was designed with experimental technology that can pull her resonant frequency slightly out of tune with the world: she can turn intangible, either partially or fully, and with effort can take others with her.

Super-Intelligence Ferra was not designed with an absurd, worldshattering intellect in mind. Too bad for everyone else, that's how it turned out.
    Machine Control Ferra was also not designed to control other machines without a desperate need and an overwhelming foe. However, she can now, reaching out on some fundemental level and compelling electronics and other machines to do as she bids.

Moves

A Mind Of Their Own: Your powers evolve and mutate. When you are facing an obstacle or threat that your powers would not be able to deal with, you can mark a condition to gain brand new abilities adapted to the situation. You lose these new powers once the danger is gone.
    Regeneration: Regeneration: When you’re taken out, you can trigger an emergency regeneration process. If you do, your body undergoes an unpredictable transformation, and in mere moments, you’re back on your feet and ready to fight. Clear three conditions and choose three from the list below:
    - Change your gender identity or presentation
    - Change your physical appearance
    - Forget all your lessons
    - Lose an important memory of a teammate; they lose Influence over you
    - Swap an ability with another one from the Newborn playbook
    Out Of This World: When you plug into the cosmic aether and turn out of this world, roll +Freak. On a hit, you come to a new, interesting insight on your current situation about your current problems and situation: the GM will tell you what. On a 10+, you may also shift your labels to reflect your new learning. On a miss, you realize something dangerous or terrible: the GM will tell you what, and shift your labels accordingly.

A Blank Slate

You were created with a basic understanding of the world. When you learn something that helps you make sense of the world, write it down as a lesson. Fill in two lessons when you create your character; fill in the other two when you’ve learned those lessons during play.
    - I am a STAR!
    - A superhero should always be the centre of attention!
    - Always go BIGGER!
    - Never think about the consequences of your actions

When you embody one of your lessons, shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice. If you cause a misunderstanding, collateral damage, or unintended consequences in the process, mark potential. When you reject one of your lessons, reject its Influence as if it were an NPC. If you choose to have it lose Influence over you, erase that lesson and write a new one in its stead.
    When you approach your creator or caretakers with a problem, tell them what obstacle you face or what you need to achieve, and they will offer you something you need. The GM chooses one:
    • secret information
    • a way to temporarily boost or expand your powers
    • access to instruments, weapons, or resources
    • official and explicit backing
    If you accept their help, they rewrite one of your lessons for you.

Backstory

Who created you, and why?

Dr. Gears made #749, a revolutionary inventor, designer, superhero, and overall mad scientist. His designs were years ahead of their time, a self repairing, self aware robot, an artificial person built to be the best of ourselves. She was the first of a new line of protectors, first responders who could address emergencies far better than your average, non-powered individual.

Dr. Gears died in a confrontation with the Silver Royals, twenty four years ago. His secret laboratory, his unfinished projects, and the Gears Foundation, only one of which had any plans at all for his death. The foundation has slowly, methodically been going through his designs, trying to finalize, retrofit, reverse engineer, and otherwise try to figure out how to use his inventions for the public good.

How are you different from humans?

The metal skin is a giveaway, most of the time. Stronger, tougher, adaptable... no memory, and a series of directives to follow. Exactly what the directives are, other than something she needs to obey, is still being figured out.

Who, outside of your team, is your caretaker?

That'd be the Gears Foundation. Since the first invention they found that was complete and marketable was, in fact, a better mousetrap, they've got enough funds to keep operating even well into the future. The current leader of the foundation, Professor Gears (granddaughter of the original), has taken it as her mission to use the inventions for the benefit of humanity. GI 749 was activated. After it was discovered that she was a person instead of an unthinking machine by an intern with a bad sense of latin, she was dubbed Ferra.

What about humanity fascinates you?

17:24 ==NotFerra joined the chat==
    17:24 NotFerra: I was asked to explain to Dominus why I am not "a supervillian's wet dream".
    17:24 NotFerra: So I will.
    17:24 NotFerra: Do you know what one of the first things I saw was?
    17:24 NotFerra: Yes, answering literally, it was Sara's face.
    17:24 NotFerra: But after the fight was over, and we were cleaning up.
    17:24 NotFerra: The first thing I noticed, was not the damage from this fight.
    17:24 NotFerra: It was the scars from damage from a previous fight.
    17:24 NotFerra: And the debris from the current issue was being cleared away, and already there were repair groups working, within a half hour.
    17:24 NotFerra: You, as a species, have had to deal with metahumans for over a century.
    17:24 NotFerra: You have had your cities hit by asteroids, giant robots, orbital lasers, armies of mutated frogs, and on one occasion a plague of bio-enhanced goats.
    17:24 NotFerra: You have then proceeded, each time, to build your cities in the exact same place.
    17:24 NotFerra: Every.
    17:24 NotFerra: Time.
    17:24 NotFerra: You are tenacious, to the point of stupidity.
    17:24 NotFerra: One would think you would have switched to a decentralized population model, or otherwise made some sort of preparation for a disaster you cannot contain.
    17:24 NotFerra: But so far, you have managed to contain every single one.
    17:24 NotFerra: Who would not want to watch, and help along the way?
    17:24 ==NotFerra has left the chat==
    17:26 Angel-IKA: wtf why do you type so fast?!

Why do you care about your team?

You mean beyond the part where they woke me from sleep mode and then proceeded to treat me as an equal instead of a "SecretaryBot" like most everyone else outside of the Gears Foundation? Nothing at all.

Relationships

-Errant is an exemplary human; they show you around and tell you how things work.

AEGIS is the best example of human tenacity that I can think of without bringing up domestication of animals. They have very limited funds, they have tenuous authority at best, and they are either hated for not doing their job or doing their job, depending on which is more profitable to the given corporation. And they're still trucking along and doing their best to save everyone.

-The behavior of Brainstorm confuses you again and again; you’re determined to understand humanity better by studying them.

Is this what Dr. Gears would be like?

-The team discovered you during the incident; thanks to them, you reached the outside world and helped in the fight. Where and how did they find you? Who gave you your first nickname?

The Gears Foundation HQ (or, more accurately, Dr. Gears' ex-laboratory) was on the edge of the area the the Martian invasion capsules had landed on, and was un/lucky enough to have one punch a hole straight through from the street to the sublevel housing #749. The team was having trouble containing the warcrawlers that were spilling out of the capsule, so they decided to have Brainstorm and Sarahphim activate any sort of defense mechanism they could while Errant was crowd control. Ferra turned out to be quite an effective defense mechanism indeed.

Influence

Influenced by Errant
    Influenced by Brainstorm
    Influenced by Saraphim

Influencing Errant
    Influencing Brainstorm
    Influencing Saraphim
    Influencing Junebird
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-10-13 at 09:06 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #22

inapropos of anything else, 'ferraphim' is going to be pretty hard to beat as far as shipnames go
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-14 at 11:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Angel-IKA: Hey! Hello! Wow! I'm so excited to be here!
    Ferraphim1tp: Hiya! ^_^
    Locker: sup
    Dominus: GREETINGS, PITIFUL WORM
    Bode: Hi! Welcome to Sidekick Chat! If this is your first time here be sure to read the rules stickied at the top of the thread.
    Angel-IKA: omh omg omg omg are you the Locker
    Locker: yeah
    Angel-IKA: omg omg omg omg
    Locker: haha chill
    Angel-IKA: I saw that clip of you perfect running @Sarahphim's 98-Lotus array and it was the coolest thing in the universe omg its such an honour
    Locker: just practice. the backflip at 2:28 was really tough though
    Ferraphim1tp: So, Angel-IKA! What's your super power? :D
    Angel-IKA: Superpower?
    Ferraphim1tp: Yeah! :D This isn't just the private chat for the most hardcore fans - THOUGH IT TOTALLY IS. It's the chat that Sarah keeps running in her personal visor while she's on mission and we're the girls she asks first when she needs backup. We're more than fans - we're sidekicks! >:D
    Angel-IKA: what do you guys do
    Ferraphim1tp: I'm a hacker ;)
    Locker: i like pattenrs.
    Bode: Ex special forces.
    Dominus: I WORK IN SECURITY
    Ferraphim1tp: Dominus is a supervillain ;)
    Dominus: I WILL CRUSH YOU
    Angel-IKA: wtf is that allowed?
    Bode: Why wouldn't it be?
    Angel-IKA: He's spying on @Sarahphim!
    Bode: You can spy on Sarahphim as a regular user though.
    Dominus: DO NOT DEIGN TO SPEAK ON DOMINUS' BEHALF, YOU PITIFUL CRIPPLE. DOMINUS MERELY EXTENDS PROFESSIONAL COURTESY TO A WORTHY RIVAL.
    Ferraphim1tp: And she has a crush~~~~~~~~
    Dominus: IT IS NOT ROMANTIC TO IDENTIFY SARAFIM'S LATENT MALEVOLENT NATURE. SOONER OR LATER SHE WILL CAST OFF THE CHAINS OF HEROISM AND JOIN DOMINUS IN CONQUERING THE WORLD
    Locker: lol
    Ferraphim1tp: Anyway, Angel-IKA! What do you do? :D
    Angel-IKA: ...
    Ferraphim1tp: oooooo mysterious, now I'm really curious >:)
    Locker: leave her aolne.
    Ferraphim1tp: Me?
    Locker: ur gonna hack her. knock it off. she'll say when shes rdy.
    Angel-IKA: Please don't hack me - I'm sorr,y, it's kind of embarassing ><
    Dominus: YOU OWE US NOTHING. BUT IF I DISCOVER THAT YOUR COWARDICE HAS LEAD YOU TO WITHHOLD CRITICAL SUPPORT FROM SARAFIM AT A CRITICAL MOMENT THEN I SHALL TEAR YOU LIMB FROM BLOODY LIMB
    Angel-IKA: ._.

(I have decided to do what I did with the Huntsmen in Time's Wings and open each IC post with a glimpse at @Sarahphim's stream chat. These are the regulars so I figured they'd deserve an introduction.]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-15 at 01:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Errant
    Euna Kim

She's here, with her feet planted firmly on the ground. Her track star body turned to one side, one matte black arm held out in challenge, the other curled behind her back. Her hair falls to her shoulders in an unbroken silver sheet. Not a strand out of place. Not a thread loose on the blue and gold jumpsuit version of her uniform. She's got a perfect poker face to match. It's just the eyes that give her away, so full of light, darting this way and that, determined not to miss a thing. The knight Errant is here, and everything is just the way she practiced.

"Listen, gentlemen, it's supposed to be movie night tonight so if you're not going to make the first move I'm going to have to."

POWERS
    Cybernetic limbs
    Superstrength and durability
    Enhanced senses (multispectral visor)
    An alternate form (Limit-free mode)

LABELS
    DANGER 0
    FREAK -1
    SAVIOR 2
    SUPERIOR 0
    MUNDANE 1
    SOLDIER 2

MOVES
    Before we get started: When you have time to closely observe your opposition before a fight, Roll +Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, mark a condition and hold 1. During the fight, you can spend 1 hold to name a character you observed and
    • redirect their attack into another character or nowhere - into a wall or the sky
    • cross a distance between them and you
    • stun them, close up or from a distance
    • ignore all harm from one of their attacks
    • escape any bindings or impediments they attempt to place on you

I can do this all day: When something causes you to remove yourself from a fight, you can shift Savior down (and another Label up) instead. If shifting Savior down would lower it below -2, you have to leave the fight instead of shifting Labels.

No, you move: When you demand that an NPC live up to a higher moral code, roll + Savior. On a hit, they have to meet your standard or mark a Condition. On a 10+, take Influence over them as well. On a miss, they reveal that the conflict in question is more complicated than it seems; give them Influence over you.

When you're acting on orders and relying on your training, give AEGIS Influence over you to use Soldier instead of any other label when you use a basic or playbook move.
    When you invoke your authority over citizens, Neo-Halcyon City personnel, or AEGIS staff, roll +Soldier. On a hit, your words carry weight. On a 7-9, someone will push back against your instructions or orders... sooner rather than later. On a miss, your attempts to control the situation create an opportunity for your enemies within AEGIS to act against you
    When you ask AEGIS for additional resources, equipment, or information during a mission, roll +Soldier.

TEAM MOVES
    Triumphant Celebration: When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them what they need to do to achieve their full potential. If they accept your advice, take Influence over them and add 2 Team to the pool. If they reject what you have to say, mark a condition.
    Vulnerability: When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what cause they serve. If you find it to be a worth cause, tell them how you will fight for it, clear a condition, and add a Team to the pool. If they don't have a cause (or you find it unworthy), mark a condition.

BACKSTORY
    Spoiler
    Show
    - What tragedy or disaster lead to you gaining your abilities?
    "Do you know about the Atlas Arcology incident? The one where their power grid went nuts and the 55th floor mall went up in flames. My p-- well, I. I was there when it happened. Lungs full of smoke, people screaming everywhere. I ate a chest full of glass when something blew up near me. That was the first hint I had that I was special: I wasn't dead. The rest is... hazy. I remember part of a wall collapsing on a bunch of us, and I vaguely remember trying to move it. Next thing I knew I was in the hospital, and my legs were... actually, let's stop there."

- What inspired you to officially join AEGIS?
    "You mean other than the fact that they've shelled out for multiple sets of new arms and legs for me when I keep outgrowing them? That they housed and trained me even before I told them I'd put on the uniform? Believe it or not, it was when they found out who was behind the Arcology fire. Because of course there was someone behind it: a master criminal called 'Sabrem'. Did you know? Her real target was a corp exec's apartment twenty floors up, the whole burnout out of an entire commercial floor thing was just a distraction. All those people, all those lives ruined, just so she could steal a data disk without having to worry about alarms. There are monsters out there, and it's not good enough to have a handful of vigilantes around and hope they get lucky. You need reach, and resources. You need a shield."

- What does AEGIS do for the world that nobody else can?
    "They have a vision for the future that isn't entirely profit-driven. Yes, Athena MacroTech is a mega, but we have a soul: his name is Commander Warren, and as long as he thinks this place is worth his time, I know I can count on them to do the right thing, and in the right way. We have it harder than anyone else, that's what makes us the good guys."

- Who, outside of AEGIS and the team, connects you to the civilian world?
    "There's a bar not too far from where I grew up. Run by a guy named Naota. He's good people. Doesn't kick me out even though I'm not old enough to drink. Also has a wizard sim arcade setup, not that I have time for that sort of hobby either. It's more that, if you forget where you came from, you tend to lose sight of where you're going. But... um, also. He just put in the software for the @SERAHPHIM game. He's the only one I can trust not to tell her I'm trying to break her record."

- Why do you care about the team?
    "Because that's what a good leader does. Because I think I've been assigned to them for a reason. Because I think they're going to change the world, and it's my job to get them ready."

INFLUENCE
    Gives to: Brainstorm, Ferra

Has on: @Saraphim, Ferra, Comstar

FIRST TEAM-UP
    Our victory secured an important resource for AEGIS. What was it?

RELATIONSHIPS
    @SARAHPHIM, you're important to the longterm success of AEGIS. You're the spark that's going to carry us into the future. Your fans are the worst, but I've talked it over with my superiors and they agree I should make protecting you my top priority.

Brainstorm, I know you're not particularly keen on AEGIS. You say a lot of things I have a hard time agreeing with, but please. Don't stop saying them.

POTENTIAL
    [X] [X] [] [] []

CONDITIONS
    Afraid, Guilty
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-10-14 at 06:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

@SARAHPHIM
    Oh my goodness

(I have decided to do what I did with the Huntsmen in Time's Wings and open each IC post with a glimpse at @Sarahphim's stream chat. These are the regulars so I figured they'd deserve an introduction.]
    Oh my goodness

edit: lest it get lost in all of this I am also deeply into Ferra's conceptual territory. No foundation named after a dead scientist has ever, ever not been fascinating
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-01-15 at 01:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I will counter that shipping name with Sarrent. And I appreciate it about the foundation! Part of my aim with Ferra is that she's not actually amazingly advanced by modern standards. She was designed right before Dr. Gears bit it, so it was at the top of his game, but his game ended almost a quarter-century ago. So she's one of a kind, yes, but she's going to be trying to put together an identity while working out what she wants to be doing.
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

A note on names: @SARAHPHIM is an objectively terrible name, especially because everyone’s going to typo her name as Sarah (no H) and because it’s an awkward pun on Seraphim. This is completely intentional. Sara is a teenager, and no teenager anywhere has ever been good at naming things. Especially if they’re trying to pick an internet handle.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Just checking in to let you know that I'm still here, just braining at the moment. I've settled on The Brain as my character, and am working with the idea of a robotics expert who unleashed Ultron. She feels like she'd have a lot of guilt whenever she's interacting with Ferra, because Ferra is basically what she did, but better and without unleashing a terrible AI on the world.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I will counter that shipping name with Sarrent.
    SarahKim.

And I appreciate it about the foundation! Part of my aim with Ferra is that she's not actually amazingly advanced by modern standards. She was designed right before Dr. Gears bit it, so it was at the top of his game, but his game ended almost a quarter-century ago. So she's one of a kind, yes, but she's going to be trying to put together an identity while working out what she wants to be doing.
    What do you (and to an extent Balmas) imagine robotics/AI to be like in this setting? My current vision is that there are a lot of droid-level bots around but it looks like true AIs are vanishingly rare creations.

What are you thinking for the logic behind your superpowers, if you're explicitly setting yourself in an 'outdated' kind of category? Weird energy source? Mystery?

A note on names: @SARAHPHIM is an objectively terrible name, especially because everyone’s going to typo her name as Sarah (no H) and because it’s an awkward pun on Seraphim. This is completely intentional. Sara is a teenager, and no teenager anywhere has ever been good at naming things. Especially if they’re trying to pick an internet handle.
    I may have been pre-emptively making fun of her name with the entire streamchat thing.

Just checking in to let you know that I'm still here, just braining at the moment. I've settled on The Brain as my character, and am working with the idea of a robotics expert who unleashed Ultron. She feels like she'd have a lot of guilt whenever she's interacting with Ferra, because Ferra is basically what she did, but better and without unleashing a terrible AI on the world.
    *Fistpump* Hell yea! When I pitched this setting I was secretly hoping for exactly this playbook combination, right down to the themes of each one.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I am very much a fan. Would be a really interesting conversation, since Ferra's obviously trying to figure out what's she should be.

SarahKim.
    I stand corrected.

What do you (and to an extent Balmas) imagine robotics/AI to be like in this setting? My current vision is that there are a lot of droid-level bots around but it looks like true AIs are vanishingly rare creations.
    I imagine that robots are about, yes, but I think that true AI are rare. I would like to see quite a lot of specialized, focused programs that can emulate people within their skillset though, with an example being perhaps a secretary robot that can track appointments, keep messages going where they need to, do minor chores about the office, and make small talk, but god help them if something outside of their scope.

What are you thinking for the logic behind your superpowers, if you're explicitly setting yourself in an 'outdated' kind of category? Weird energy source? Mystery?
    Unobtanium powered core reactor, clearly. It's still superscience, it's just out of date superscience, if that makes sense? I'm probably going for tough and durable for the first power, and the other one I'm sorta divided between thermal control (fits with the reactor, can make some really neat connections to solar fusion, but doesn't fit with what I view Ferra as having been designed for because of the risk factor) and solid light projection (which will mostly be making temporary objects and the occasional energy blast, but might be stepping on Sarahphim's toes). Which one is picked probably influences the flavor of the power source. First pair probably means straight up fusion core, second one means something funky and not properly understood.

*Fistpump* Hell yea! When I pitched this setting I was secretly hoping for exactly this playbook combination, right down to the themes of each one.
    Yeah I'm looking forward to this.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-15 at 10:00 PM.
    LGBTA+itP