The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

Point of order: didnít Commy mark Angry when a certain someone broadcast a cringe compilation? I distinctly remember someone dropping a plane on us.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Kinda debating on whether or not to add more detail to that post. I mean, this is *giant robot battles*. I can afford to add more detail than, "I swat a tech with an ironically-timed vending machine."
    Do it! Flex your writing muscles! I put you in a brawl against 30 dudes who are like you, but dumber, and I do things like that because I want to shake cool ideas loose!

At the same time, don't feel obligated. I put people in interesting trouble to give them opportunities to be inspired and write things, getting something done is always better than angsting about quality.

Incidentally, would you say that jumping off a catwalk into a moshpit of enemy technicians is sufficiently foolish self-endangerment to clear Insecure? Because that's how it's feeling to me.
    Nah, that's just regular heroic. You're ambushing regular mooks while you've got heavy artillery backup, you can take these guys. Something to clear insecure would be, like, taking the AEGIS lady out of the fight beforehand to prove that you don't need backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Point of order: didnít Commy mark Angry when a certain someone broadcast a cringe compilation? I distinctly remember someone dropping a plane on us.
    Excellent point! And thats three conditions so she's defeated good work everyone I'll mark Guilty instead and go into what that means in my next post.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Post tonight. Apologies. Mandatory OT ends Soon (TM). As in, next Tuesday. So excited to have a life again.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, so... questions n' stuff.

I've been sitting on an Advance for the last... *checks notes* 3 weeks, without really much idea what to spend it on. I made a passing reference to asking about advice before but nobody took the bait so I've just been kicking the can down the road. But reading this scene that we're in now I can't help but feel that it's a little bit Moment of Truth-y? Like, I thought to myself, "Boy it's a shame that's not unlocked right now" and then I realized that, actually it totally could be. But I dunno!

So yeah. Guidance! Do y'all think that's legit? Is it "too soon" or too sudden or too deflating? Too cheese? And if not, and I should be picking something else, I'd really like some thoughts on that.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been sitting on an Advance for the last... *checks notes* 3 weeks, without really much idea what to spend it on. I made a passing reference to asking about advice before but nobody took the bait so I've just been kicking the can down the road. But reading this scene that we're in now I can't help but feel that it's a little bit Moment of Truth-y? Like, I thought to myself, "Boy it's a shame that's not unlocked right now" and then I realized that, actually it totally could be. But I dunno!

So yeah. Guidance! Do y'all think that's legit? Is it "too soon" or too sudden or too deflating? Too cheese? And if not, and I should be picking something else, I'd really like some thoughts on that.
    Doooooo itttttt.

No really. I'm super interested in how that would play out. As for myself, I'm actually looking at Watched C-Beams Glitter from the Nomad, and especially if I get to grab anything from said Eye Of Odin.
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #546

So my current foreshadowing for Errant is all about AEGIS starting to militarize as it goes after BlackSun on a corporate level. It's going to be the organization as a whole starting to slip into a similar vengeance spiral that was initially set out by the Shogun. More gradual, more clear cut at the beginning; a slow buildup to give Errant a chance to develop her own sense of morality in the contrasts. I suspect that it's far more important to Errant to have her moment of truth during that story-arc than this one. I would, rather, suggest the 'undergo enhancement' option to lean into that storyline - Errant arming up is a nice parallel to AEGIS getting serious.

Your moment of truth also implies that, in some way, you have Got Your Sh*t Together and have set an aspect of your personality permanently in stone. The moment when you can look the entire damn world in the eye and tell them that this is who you are, forever. This really feels like the opposite kind of moment for Errant; things are in more flux for her than ever before.

It's a super tense scene but, to defuse that tension a bit, no one is going to die; that wouldn't be in keeping with the genre at all. You don't need to break out the big guns here to get through it.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-02 at 12:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    So my current foreshadowing for Errant is all about AEGIS starting to militarize as it goes after BlackSun on a corporate level. It's going to be the organization as a whole starting to slip into a similar vengeance spiral that was initially set out by the Shogun. More gradual, more clear cut at the beginning; a slow buildup to give Errant a chance to develop her own sense of morality in the contrasts. I suspect that it's far more important to Errant to have her moment of truth during that story-arc than this one. I would, rather, suggest the 'undergo enhancement' option to lean into that storyline - Errant arming up is a nice parallel to AEGIS getting serious.
    Ok yeah, I appreciate this context and I am super down to Undergo Enhancement in that vein. Do you think I should just pick abilities off the list, or would AEGIS have opinions about this?

Thanks for the help, I super appreciate it <3

8. - Top - End - #548

Ok yeah, I appreciate this context and I am super down to Undergo Enhancement in that vein. Do you think I should just pick abilities off the list, or would AEGIS have opinions about this?

Thanks for the help, I super appreciate it <3
    Delighted to assist!

Here are my thoughts:
    - It should seem innocuous at first, but gradually become symbolic of a darker path.
    - It should be useful, empowering, exciting. Errant worries about her powers and thinks about how cool it is if her limiters were taken off; this should feed into that sense of being glad to be unshackled.

I think that the best choice for both of these is a multispectral visor. BlackSun, as you might have noticed, relies a lot on invisibility technology; a visor is a sword brought against that concept. It's great to have - being able to walk into a room full of ninjas who think they're invisible but to you are just standing around like idiots is a powerful moment. And in the long term it's symbolic of a blindfold and there's a big long-term layup to the moment where Errant looks around, sees everyone in her team wearing the visors, and takes her own off.

But you get two, and the other option should just be something frickin' cool.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Firbolg in the Playground

all I wanna do
    is see you turn into
    a giant robot
    ~a giant robot!~
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

10. - Top - End - #550

Q: Didn't supergirl marry superhorse at some point?

A: They just dated. His name was Comet the Superhorse. His real name was Biron, and he was originally a centaur from ancient Greece who always wanted to become human. After he helped the witch Circe, she agreed to turn him human, but got the spell backwards and turned him into a horse. So to make up for it, she made him immortal and gave him superpowers. Later, he and Supergirl visited a planet called Sorcerer's World, because everybody there was a sorcerer, and somebody cast a spell on him that made him turn human when a comet showed up for the duration of the comet. Later, as a human, he dated Lois Lane.

Later on in the 90s, they brought Comet back. This time, Comet was originally a jockey named Andrew Jones, who after an accident, was given horse DNA by a secret governmental organization which turned him into a three fingered man made of ice. He rebelled against the secret governmental organization, and became a superhero. In his first mission, he tried to save this lesbian stand up comic named Andrea Martinez from an avalanche, but failed and they both died. As tends to happen in that situation, the two of them then merged into an angel. Supergirl dated Comet for a while, but broke up with them when she found out that they were also Andrea Martinez. That started a plot where the new Comet temporarily became a centaur and tried to get revenge on Supergirl. Everbody patched things up, though, and Comet started dating somebody else who could accept them for who they were.

11. - Top - End - #551

Hmm. Thanqol, if you were to quantify how much electronics are there, would you count it as 1-gadget or 2-gadget up for grabs?

And that's an 8 on Always Prepared. What I'm looking for is some kind of EMP net-analogue that can be thrown or launched onto the Avatar to screw with the TAG's systems.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2019-07-05 at 01:33 AM.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Powerful blow (2d6+1)[13]

You know, I don't think I've failed one of these yet.

Fudge.

Edit: She regenerates and probably warps the Jaguar to something even scarier as she disconnects? Not sure, I'm writing what my powers do to me. Also, note, I'll be using this as her seeing enough potential-space to take Out Of This World from the Nomad. Feel free to write it as wierd as you want, if you don't put some stuff there I'll be writing some of it when she comes back next post. Regen move will be changing appearance, change powers (superstrength/durability -> phasing), and having Saraphim lose influence over her... she forgot the kiss.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-07-06 at 09:06 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, watching Ferra is heartbreaking sometimes. Hang in there, robot girl...

14. - Top - End - #554

Oh cool. One of the members of @SARRAPHIM's own chat is responsible for Ferra losing this body and forgetting her kiss with @SARRAPHIM.

This is fine. the fine is one million years dungeon you monster(s)
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Oh cool. One of the members of @SARRAPHIM's own chat is responsible for Ferra losing this body and forgetting her kiss with @SARRAPHIM.

@SARRAPHIM?

@SARRAPHIM??

ohohohoho the police will never find your body, fool
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-07-06 at 05:13 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

16. - Top - End - #556

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    @SARRAPHIM?

@SARRAPHIM??

ohohohoho the police will never find your body, fool
    TheAmishLurker: come at me scrublord i'm ripped

(My actual defense: Spent all this morning hauling things from my old place, in 90 degree weather with a heat index of around 100, which has served to only exacerbate my spelling deficiencies. >_>)

17. - Top - End - #557

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Powerful blow [roll0]

You know, I don't think I've failed one of these yet.

Fudge.

Edit: She regenerates and probably warps the Jaguar to something even scarier as she disconnects? Not sure, I'm writing what my powers do to me. Also, note, I'll be using this as her seeing enough potential-space to take Out Of This World from the Nomad. Feel free to write it as wierd as you want, if you don't put some stuff there I'll be writing some of it when she comes back next post. Regen move will be changing appearance, change powers (superstrength/durability -> phasing), and having Saraphim lose influence over her... she forgot the kiss.
    ;-; Ferraaaaaaaa

That was a really good and effective post Eldest.

I didn't get super weird just yet, I'm not braining sufficiently today and needed to get a post up, but I'll start escalating as the scene goes on.

I felt compelled to shift some responsibility away from Angel-IKA for genre reasons. It's in theme for her to be clumsy but not something that'd get her one million years dungeon.

Hmm. Thanqol, if you were to quantify how much electronics are there, would you count it as 1-gadget or 2-gadget up for grabs?

And that's an 8 on Always Prepared. What I'm looking for is some kind of EMP net-analogue that can be thrown or launched onto the Avatar to screw with the TAG's systems.
    Yeah sounds like a chance to restock, full recovery. I'm choosing to make the effect unstable/temporary i.e. a one-shotter because you didn't specify otherwise.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

;-; Ferraaaaaaaa

That was a really good and effective post Eldest.

I didn't get super weird just yet, I'm not braining sufficiently today and needed to get a post up, but I'll start escalating as the scene goes on.
    I appreciate the reassurance: I worried a little that I was pouring on the angsty bits a bit too hard for her, but at the same time, nothing else was working even remotely as well as that scene. (Everyone's response helped, this is just the one I quoted) I've had an annoying streak of imposter syndrome for this game, and I feel like it's sort of clicking for me a bit more and feels less... artificial? Forced? Not entirely sure. I think I'm going to have Balmas post first, have a post of her, well, reacting to being awake and aware during the process, and then from there on getting back up and smacking down a jerk AI.

On a unrelated note, I actually figured that burn and flares might work thematically if Ferra ever gains more control over the regeneration process? Mechanically the idea being mark enough conditions to regen in order to gain burn, then regen and hey you have fuel for flares?
    LGBTA+itP

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey so, while I sit here figuring out how to cash my blank check I was wondering whether or not Comstar2 has a streaming setup of her own? The energy of the scene changes a lot depending on whether or not she's still got an audience right now just given... everything that's been happening this Issue

I appreciate the reassurance: I worried a little that I was pouring on the angsty bits a bit too hard for her, but at the same time, nothing else was working even remotely as well as that scene. (Everyone's response helped, this is just the one I quoted) I've had an annoying streak of imposter syndrome for this game, and I feel like it's sort of clicking for me a bit more and feels less... artificial? Forced? Not entirely sure.
    For what it's worth I think you've been killing it lately. I really love the way that Ferra comes across as developing her approach for human interaction based on her lessons as they've coalesced into a semi-coherent worldview. She's got her directives and the things people have been teaching her, with or without meaning to and it all contributes to a really neat sense of conflict and 'newness' to the world as she sees it, and it's killing me inside that we've only ever spoken like four lines to each other. Ferra and Errant have a lot to teach each other right now and there's some really tense and interesting conversations they could have. I hope we get the chance, and if we do I hope I don't drop the ball. I'm certain you'll nail it.

20. - Top - End - #560

I felt compelled to shift some responsibility away from Angel-IKA for genre reasons. It's in theme for her to be clumsy but not something that'd get her one million years dungeon.
    Oh, of course not. She did the best she could with what she had, even though she probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. It happens.

You, on the other hand, are a scoundrel and a cad, and million years dungeon is the least we can do.

(Others may be tossed in as well. Gonna play this thing by ear.)
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-07-07 at 05:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561

Hey so, while I sit here figuring out how to cash my blank check I was wondering whether or not Comstar2 has a streaming setup of her own? The energy of the scene changes a lot depending on whether or not she's still got an audience right now just given... everything that's been happening this Issue
    She actually has not! She made a commitment to turn @Sarahphim into a puppet and jack her stream. She has backup capability in case @Sarahphim never made her way down here but she hasn't activated it yet.

Oh, of course not. She did the best she could with what she had, even though she probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. It happens.

You, on the other hand, are a scoundrel and a cad, and million years dungeon is the least we can do.

(Others may be tossed in as well. Gonna play this thing by ear.)
    Harsh, but fair.

22. - Top - End - #562

I have no idea whether this is Defend Another or Directly Engage. Aaaand... with a 4 base roll, it doesn't really matter which it is. Marking XP.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Ferra that is unfairly cool and not something youíre allowed to spring on Sara after a whole day of being awesome and then condescended to
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

So, because I was thinking about it at work, general rules of thumb for Ferra. Her permanent powers that regenerate and change should be focused towards saving people. Her Mind Of Their Own powers, meanwhile, comprise of two versions. One, she's accessing things she could have been built with (e.g. the link with the Jaguar) but wasn't. Two, her grabbing hold of the RX heart and changing local physics somewhat: the two so far was evaporating matter and manipulating momentum vectors. Finally, her regenerated power change should in some way address or counter whatever killed her. Naturally, rules of thumb are more guidelines (superhero story, after all) than hard limits.

Edit: Post tomorrow (Wednesday).
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-07-10 at 01:46 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #565

Hey Eldest, Balmas, can you pick up the pace a bit? We're almost to the end of the episode and I'm really keen to keep this going

26. - Top - End - #566

While this is issue end, there's still a lot left unresolved in this scene. So I want the end of episode interludes this time around to be some brief pairing/foreshadowing things where characters get a chance to catch up and have brief conversations to resolve some of their things.

There are four conversation sets: Sarahphim/Errant, Saraphim/Ferra, Ferra/Brainstorm, Brainstorm/Errant

I advise you each to set those scenes and have those conversations. Keep them relatively brief - 4-5 posts in an exchange. This is end of episode closure and teasers for what the relationships will be going forwards, like the advertisements at the end of comic books.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooohhhhhh my goodness this is exciting. I am so incredibly pumped for these next parts!

28. - Top - End - #568

That is a beautiful post, Thanqol. This game is so good and I feel privileged to be part of it.

On an off-topic note, I just took the plunge to volunteer to GM a game of Dungeon or Apocalypse World (decision pending). There's a part of me going, "be confident, you got this, you know this system fairly well and can fake your way through what you don't." However, there's another, louder part of me that recognizes that I, an introvert, have just volunteered to be stared at and talked to and relied on for at least four hours every two weeks, and is shrieking in terror.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

So, question, would influence over Aegis (or, say, the young and impressionable part of Aegis) be possible? I'd postuate some sort of lynchpin character but of the lot the commander didn't seem the type, I know nothing about the lady who got Brainstorm to the fight, and Junebird is Errant's and hasn't really dealt with Ferra. Of the lot I'd pick commander if the random lady isn't sufficiently important.
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #570

Ooohhhhhh my goodness this is exciting. I am so incredibly pumped for these next parts!
    That is a beautiful post, Thanqol. This game is so good and I feel privileged to be part of it.
    :D :D :D

On an off-topic note, I just took the plunge to volunteer to GM a game of Dungeon or Apocalypse World (decision pending). There's a part of me going, "be confident, you got this, you know this system fairly well and can fake your way through what you don't." However, there's another, louder part of me that recognizes that I, an introvert, have just volunteered to be stared at and talked to and relied on for at least four hours every two weeks, and is shrieking in terror.
    You got this!

Practical advice:
    - It is REALLY IMPORTANT to ask for thinking breaks when you need it. Be like 'that is a really interesting result, give me a minute to think of my answer' and then take that minute.
    - Have a little list of NPC names and basic quirks on hand - there's a name list on the AW MC sheets.
    - Take thirty minutes the next day to write down some notes and basic plans, you'll regret it otherwise.

So, question, would influence over Aegis (or, say, the young and impressionable part of Aegis) be possible? I'd postuate some sort of lynchpin character but of the lot the commander didn't seem the type, I know nothing about the lady who got Brainstorm to the fight, and Junebird is Errant's and hasn't really dealt with Ferra. Of the lot I'd pick commander if the random lady isn't sufficiently important.
    Make it JuneBird. She's the AEGIS everyman and having conservation of NPCs is a good ideal to strive for. This will specifically put her in Ferra's orbit which is good, she could use more connections.