The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Nothing Personal, Kid: Sever a limb
    STAY

AWAY

FROM THE LAST ORGANIC LIMBS ON THE TEAM

pleasenthanku
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    STAY

AWAY

FROM THE LAST ORGANIC LIMBS ON THE TEAM

pleasenthanku
    Just don't fail any rolls, you'll be fine
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

I... think Ferra is going to hate this villain as much as Euna does. The number thing, specifically.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I... Uh... I have enjoyed reading the game froom the sidelines but wont be reading any more. Good luck to all of you thanks for the ride up till now.
    I am alive!

It has been a very very long time.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

To expound on that.

She had a really crappy long term flame of hers who she was in the process of leaving when I met her. Sabrem's attitude reminds her of said ex, in a way that resonated and brought up unpleasantness. So my partner is likely going to be not reading this arc, and I personally will find crushing Sabrem extremely cathartic, out of character.

I do not like said ex.
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #696

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    To expound on that.

She had a really crappy long term flame of hers who she was in the process of leaving when I met her. Sabrem's attitude reminds her of said ex, in a way that resonated and brought up unpleasantness. So my partner is likely going to be not reading this arc, and I personally will find crushing Sabrem extremely cathartic, out of character.

I do not like said ex.
    Understood.

Just a general reminder that, at any point, if anything in this game makes anyone uncomfortable IRL flag it and I'll change it, no questions asked. Unfortunately I can't extend that full courtesy to people watching - and I am sorry I inadvertently dropped that one on you Sanity - but I do consider everyone's mental health and safety to be my primary concern
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thats ok thanqol, I did not expect it to hit me as hard as it did. I love reading this game but think I might need a break. Thanks for saying something
    I am alive!

It has been a very very long time.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Firbolg in the Playground

One day, I might stop pillaging barns.

Today is not that day.

Tomorrow ain't looking good either.

A problem I am running into in planning for tabletop games is the fact that I'm not in the driver's seat when it comes to character arcs. I provide conflict, I provide interesting and difficult things for the PCs to encounter, but ultimately, I am not the one in control of their arcs. This means that I cannot rely on the ways of thinking that I use in stories where I have much more control over the characters. If I were writing this story, and I wanted one of my characters to wrestle with the question "What is a superhero supposed to look like?" then I have confidence that I could cook up a pretty good supporting cast + plot to let that character struggle with and ultimately answer that question. In a tabletop game, it's ultimately up to the player to bring it in response to the scenario I give them, then I respond based on their response, and bing bam boom we're writing us a story together.

It's that initial scenario/cast of characters/rogues gallery that's giving me trouble. With some of my PCs, it feels like there's clear and obvious choices about what they need to face next. With other PCs, I feel less sure. Some of them know the next question their character needs to answer, others are just content to live out their playbooks without a particular direction in mind, and I'm just as lost with both. It leaves me feeling like there's a lot of different villains, heroes, and scenarios I could throw at them, but no idea if there's anything there that'll particularly stick. My worry is that I'll design a villain/hero, throw them in with a PC, and then they both just...exist in the same world without any meaningful connection. Is there something I'm missing here? Is this just a part of tabletop, and you have to accept that sometimes a character will flop and you gotta move on from them? How do you narrow down the vast possibility space of villains/heroes who might have interesting relationships with a PC?

(Victoria/Turbo Knight from this game is a good example of what baffles me. I can see that she's had a few interesting run-ins with PCs, and she's a great character/villain, but off the top of my head I can't see any obvious linkage that screams "this villain is meant to challenge this hero in this area." And yet, here she is, and I can't track the thought process that put her here.)
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    One day, I might stop pillaging barns.

Today is not that day.

Tomorrow ain't looking good either.

A problem I am running into in planning for tabletop games is the fact that I'm not in the driver's seat when it comes to character arcs. I provide conflict, I provide interesting and difficult things for the PCs to encounter, but ultimately, I am not the one in control of their arcs. This means that I cannot rely on the ways of thinking that I use in stories where I have much more control over the characters. If I were writing this story, and I wanted one of my characters to wrestle with the question "What is a superhero supposed to look like?" then I have confidence that I could cook up a pretty good supporting cast + plot to let that character struggle with and ultimately answer that question. In a tabletop game, it's ultimately up to the player to bring it in response to the scenario I give them, then I respond based on their response, and bing bam boom we're writing us a story together.

It's that initial scenario/cast of characters/rogues gallery that's giving me trouble. With some of my PCs, it feels like there's clear and obvious choices about what they need to face next. With other PCs, I feel less sure. Some of them know the next question their character needs to answer, others are just content to live out their playbooks without a particular direction in mind, and I'm just as lost with both. It leaves me feeling like there's a lot of different villains, heroes, and scenarios I could throw at them, but no idea if there's anything there that'll particularly stick. My worry is that I'll design a villain/hero, throw them in with a PC, and then they both just...exist in the same world without any meaningful connection. Is there something I'm missing here? Is this just a part of tabletop, and you have to accept that sometimes a character will flop and you gotta move on from them? How do you narrow down the vast possibility space of villains/heroes who might have interesting relationships with a PC?
    To a huge degree, getting deep and personal on the character arcs is the player's responsibility as well, and if they don't give you any material to work with then there's only so much I can do. A good example here is Brainstorm - Balmas hasn't really indicated OOC any particular direction he wants to take with the character in the short term, so I have to rely on my predictions and analysis of his behaviour. It feels to me sometimes like I'm giving him the short end of the stick as a result but I'm doing what I can with what I have so I don't stress it too much.

(FYI Balmas, this is fine and how most players in most games interact. This is more just making the point that I'm guessing at what you want rather than knowing what you want, I'd always like more information but it's not mandatory ).

(Victoria/Turbo Knight from this game is a good example of what baffles me. I can see that she's had a few interesting run-ins with PCs, and she's a great character/villain, but off the top of my head I can't see any obvious linkage that screams "this villain is meant to challenge this hero in this area." And yet, here she is, and I can't track the thought process that put her here.)
    To a significant degree the entire first round of NPCs I created were people that interested me, or that I wanted to talk about. I didn't know the player characters well enough to really target anything at the absolute heart yet so I was just throwing a bunch of people and situations at them to see what resonated. I usually budget the first 1-2 sessions for exactly that, and that I'm opening this one up with a big important villain from Errant's backstory indicates that I'm now incredibly confident in my understanding of everyone and know how to angle things so it'll work.

There's also the possibility for a lot of fluidity in this first cast. I originally created them based off mood and aesthetic and began to narrow them down over time to fit better with the themes the player characters were interacting with. I ramped up Comstar all the way to supergenius even though that wasn't in the initial design so she'd be able to better interact with and contrast to Brainstorm, for example.

Victoria's basic aesthetic is predatory, social and personal. She's there to provide the option of specifically targeting family members and loved ones, or to capitalize on someone in a moment of weakness to push them all the way towards supervillainy. She's there so there's a smooth, charismatic and connected person who has history with the PCs and can exploit them when they're weak or vulnerable. I don't need to use her yet but it's like putting down a piece in Go - you might not use that stone for the next 50 moves but eventually you'll be glad it's there.

And yes, some NPCs will 100% flop for no reason you can discern. It's why I start with them as sketches and fill them in as time goes on, rather than trying to force some I've elaborately pre-planned in. In another world, everyone 10+'d every roll against Comstar, crushing her and locking her up in the first five minutes of play, and then failed every roll against Maria and her goons, making her the arch-enemy of the second issue. I do a lot of 'it's not that the PCs were incompetent, it's just that the villains were really scary' type responses to failed moves in this game especially, so every time the dice come up bad is like a little promotion for that villain.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-15 at 08:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #700

To a huge degree, getting deep and personal on the character arcs is the player's responsibility as well, and if they don't give you any material to work with then there's only so much I can do. A good example here is Brainstorm - Balmas hasn't really indicated OOC any particular direction he wants to take with the character in the short term, so I have to rely on my predictions and analysis of his behaviour. It feels to me sometimes like I'm giving him the short end of the stick as a result but I'm doing what I can with what I have so I don't stress it too much.

(FYI Balmas, this is fine and how most players in most games interact. This is more just making the point that I'm guessing at what you want rather than knowing what you want, I'd always like more information but it's not mandatory ).

To a significant degree the entire first round of NPCs I created were people that interested me, or that I wanted to talk about. I didn't know the player characters well enough to really target anything at the absolute heart yet so I was just throwing a bunch of people and situations at them to see what resonated. I usually budget the first 1-2 sessions for exactly that, and that I'm opening this one up with a big important villain from Errant's backstory indicates that I'm now incredibly confident in my understanding of everyone and know how to angle things so it'll work.

There's also the possibility for a lot of fluidity in this first cast. I originally created them based off mood and aesthetic and began to narrow them down over time to fit better with the themes the player characters were interacting with. I ramped up Comstar all the way to supergenius even though that wasn't in the initial design so she'd be able to better interact with and contrast to Brainstorm, for example.

Victoria's basic aesthetic is predatory, social and personal. She's there to provide the option of specifically targeting family members and loved ones, or to capitalize on someone in a moment of weakness to push them all the way towards supervillainy. She's there so there's a smooth, charismatic and connected person who has history with the PCs and can exploit them when they're weak or vulnerable. I don't need to use her yet but it's like putting down a piece in Go - you might not use that stone for the next 50 moves but eventually you'll be glad it's there.

And yes, some NPCs will 100% flop for no reason you can discern. It's why I start with them as sketches and fill them in as time goes on, rather than trying to force some I've elaborately pre-planned in. In another world, everyone 10+'d every roll against Comstar, crushing her and locking her up in the first five minutes of play, and then failed every roll against Maria and her goons, making her the arch-enemy of the second issue. I do a lot of 'it's not that the PCs were incompetent, it's just that the villains were really scary' type responses to failed moves in this game especially, so every time the dice come up bad is like a little promotion for that villain.
    This is all really good thinking, and tracks with the general attitude shift I'm trying to bring for the second arc of this Masks game. Short version; focus more on setting up pieces with fluid plans in order to respond to what happens in a session, rather than setting up an entire villain scheme from session one and adapting it as I go.

Though, to that end, a second question: How much of the story so far did you have in mind from the first session? It feels as though everything in the first two issues was revolving around what Dr. Gears discovered about Rx, the secret of converting people to Rx, and the origins of Ferra, which is a loose enough blueprint that I feel like it could've been adapted even if Maria wound up being the big villain instead of Comstar.

11. - Top - End - #701

This is all really good thinking, and tracks with the general attitude shift I'm trying to bring for the second arc of this Masks game. Short version; focus more on setting up pieces with fluid plans in order to respond to what happens in a session, rather than setting up an entire villain scheme from session one and adapting it as I go.

Though, to that end, a second question: How much of the story so far did you have in mind from the first session? It feels as though everything in the first two issues was revolving around what Dr. Gears discovered about Rx, the secret of converting people to Rx, and the origins of Ferra, which is a loose enough blueprint that I feel like it could've been adapted even if Maria wound up being the big villain instead of Comstar.
    I knew how Rx worked from the start because that was integral to the setting and all the characters - and I've got to say, unifying everyone's weird superpowers to a single source was an immense thematic boon. Rx still has a few secrets left to tell still!

Even if you don't know how the individual characters fit into it, it's always worth having a rock-solid grasp on the internal logic of the setting because then every character can be created in response to that. This is another thing I learned after enormous struggle with failed Masks games; it's extremely easy to create totally incoherent settings with this system. That is why I started out with a pitch for a very clear cyberpunk aesthetic. Every character absolutely fits in the same world even if not necessarily in each other's stories just yet.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-15 at 09:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702

I'd like to apologize for the long delay in posts. Borderlands 3 came out on Thursday, and it's consumed my every waking non-working hour ever since.

T(FYI Balmas, this is fine and how most players in most games interact. This is more just making the point that I'm guessing at what you want rather than knowing what you want, I'd always like more information but it's not mandatory ).
    Part of the issue is that I don't know myself what he really wants. Rather, I know some overarching goals and some looming fears, but I'm not sure how to connect A to B.

Obviously, there's the issue of AEGIS and other megacorps, but that's almost become... background noise, of sorts? "Eliminate the structure of megacorps" is such a large task that I just don't know where to start, and it's not something that he can really do on his own, or maybe at all.

The bigger, more present fear, is that he's the lesser child of Mami Jimenez. That he's less loved, less adored, and in the end will be less impactual or remembered. His key emotions, I've discovered as I write him, are pride and anger; pride at his intelligence and abilities, anger at his perceived ineffectualness/unfairness of the world/to a certain extent, @SARAPHIM. And he's so ashamed of that resentment, if that makes sense at all. He loves her like a sister, but is terribly envious of how easily she's able to capture the spotlight, and that resentment gnaws at him. How dare he be envious of his sister, who clawed her way up from the bottom, who had no advantages or superpowers and turned herself into a sensation, who did all this without needing to be some kind of alternate dimension super-intelligence and is better than he is, how dare she, and so on.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I'd like to apologize for the long delay in posts. Borderlands 3 came out on Thursday, and it's consumed my every waking non-working hour ever since.
    These things happen sometimes

Part of the issue is that I don't know myself what he really wants. Rather, I know some overarching goals and some looming fears, but I'm not sure how to connect A to B.

Obviously, there's the issue of AEGIS and other megacorps, but that's almost become... background noise, of sorts? "Eliminate the structure of megacorps" is such a large task that I just don't know where to start, and it's not something that he can really do on his own, or maybe at all.
    Okay, so!

In The Sprawl, a much more directly Cyberpunk RPG, there is only one playbook that can interact with the megacorporations on their own level at all. That's the Reporter. Only the Reporter is capable of hitting a mega where it hurts, and I think that's uniquely in genre. Street samurai, techs, hackers, etc - they're all disposable individuals that can't really do anything on the corporate level, but the Reporter can change the world.

The corps, after all, aren't any individual or warehouse or industry. They're brands. The only way to hurt them so it matters is to go after their brands. But that really just brings down a corp, not all corps.

The alternatives to taking down a corp's brand are:
    - Secede from the world. Space travel finally realizing does a lot to upend the conditions for a corporate dystopia. Lesser versions are about developing a subculture or anticulture or cult.
    - Obsolete the question with AI. This is what Victor tried, and the realistic path for him to continue to follow. The question is literally too big for a human to solve, but creating (or reforming) an AI that can solve for it isn't out of reach. The long term plan should be focusing on Prometheus - either saving, destroying, replacing or whatever.

The bigger, more present fear, is that he's the lesser child of Mami Jimenez. That he's less loved, less adored, and in the end will be less impactual or remembered. His key emotions, I've discovered as I write him, are pride and anger; pride at his intelligence and abilities, anger at his perceived ineffectualness/unfairness of the world/to a certain extent, @SARAPHIM. And he's so ashamed of that resentment, if that makes sense at all. He loves her like a sister, but is terribly envious of how easily she's able to capture the spotlight, and that resentment gnaws at him. How dare he be envious of his sister, who clawed her way up from the bottom, who had no advantages or superpowers and turned herself into a sensation, who did all this without needing to be some kind of alternate dimension super-intelligence and is better than he is, how dare she, and so on.
    This is great content and I am glad to know it. Now I can showcase it a lot more directly! I'm going to put as much focus as I can spare on Victor and Sara's dynamic right now because he needs to make some real progress on that in this exact arc or else his character is going to slip deeper into negativity.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-17 at 02:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

Here’s a question, Balmas: which one of us, if not both of us, was the adopted kid?

I slipped into using Jimenez, too. Completely coincidentally! I was friends with a J. Jimenez back in college. But that doesn’t mean either of us is actually related to Mami. Not with my socioeconomic background and shady, unexplained Pepper source, and not you with your backstory of hospitals and pathetic helplessness.

It’d be okay with us actually being siblings at this point, except for the fact that Victor has thus far been referenced as being fair game for the shipping charts, which, uuuuuuuuuh. No. So I’d suggest instead “like brother and sister, found family, also Victor has probably had weird kissing thoughts before which is not helped by the small but fervent SaraStorm community.”
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #705

Okay, so!

In The Sprawl, a much more directly Cyberpunk RPG, there is only one playbook that can interact with the megacorporations on their own level at all. That's the Reporter. Only the Reporter is capable of hitting a mega where it hurts, and I think that's uniquely in genre. Street samurai, techs, hackers, etc - they're all disposable individuals that can't really do anything on the corporate level, but the Reporter can change the world.

The corps, after all, aren't any individual or warehouse or industry. They're brands. The only way to hurt them so it matters is to go after their brands. But that really just brings down a corp, not all corps.
    Hmm. See, now I'm kind of picturing wee-baby Brainstorm running a blog in his earlier years, where he discussed the flaws in the system, but it also doesn't really feel like the kind of things he'd be satisfied with.

The alternatives to taking down a corp's brand are:
    - Secede from the world. Space travel finally realizing does a lot to upend the conditions for a corporate dystopia. Lesser versions are about developing a subculture or anticulture or cult.
    - Obsolete the question with AI. This is what Victor tried, and the realistic path for him to continue to follow. The question is literally too big for a human to solve, but creating (or reforming) an AI that can solve for it isn't out of reach. The long term plan should be focusing on Prometheus - either saving, destroying, replacing or whatever.
    Oh, absolutely. Victor very much wants to reconcile with Prometheus, to understand what happened, how it went wrong, and fix his mistake. I'll just be over here staring longingly at unlocking his Moment of Truth.

Although, can we talk about Moments of Truth? It seems kind of weird to solve an in-universe problem by taking a move. I'm not sure I understand the MoT correctly.

Here’s a question, Balmas: which one of us, if not both of us, was the adopted kid?

I slipped into using Jimenez, too. Completely coincidentally! I was friends with a J. Jimenez back in college. But that doesn’t mean either of us is actually related to Mami. Not with my socioeconomic background and shady, unexplained Pepper source, and not you with your backstory of hospitals and pathetic helplessness.

It’d be okay with us actually being siblings at this point, except for the fact that Victor has thus far been referenced as being fair game for the shipping charts, which, uuuuuuuuuh. No. So I’d suggest instead “like brother and sister, found family, also Victor has probably had weird kissing thoughts before which is not helped by the small but fervent SaraStorm community.”
    Well, crap. I thought we were on the same page when I saw you calling her Jimenez, and now I have to go back and retrace about eight months of thoughts.

(Also, I knew a Jaime Jimenez once and I've always been super jealous of him for his name. That's priceless alliteration.)

So, way back when we were first starting the game, Thanqol made this post:

Mami Jimenez - Looked after and supports @Sarahphim. Also a backalley superpower surgeon who raised Brainstorm.

Of course the two Mami's are the same person and not just because I thought Mami was a proper name.
    Looking back now, I can see where I might have misunderstood, but I ran with that as "Victor and @SARA are basically family." My thought process was that Mami had Victor first via RX shenaniganary, and then adopted @SARA later. I'm unsure of whether this was before or after @SARA's vicious self-surgery. Consciously or not, Victor would have seen this as Mami trying to replace him a little bit, IE "the first one didn't work, let's bring in the one that will."

So, to ease the shipping charts, definitely not bio-related, but have spent enough time together under the same roof to have that kind of sibling dynamic? Maybe the shippers don't know about the relationship, or some do and are into "not-technically-incest?" I'm not sure where to go with this.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking back now, I can see where I might have misunderstood, but I ran with that as "Victor and @SARA are basically family." My thought process was that Mami had Victor first via RX shenaniganary, and then adopted @SARA later. I'm unsure of whether this was before or after @SARA's vicious self-surgery. Consciously or not, Victor would have seen this as Mami trying to replace him a little bit, IE "the first one didn't work, let's bring in the one that will."

So, to ease the shipping charts, definitely not bio-related, but have spent enough time together under the same roof to have that kind of sibling dynamic? Maybe the shippers don't know about the relationship, or some do and are into "not-technically-incest?" I'm not sure where to go with this.
    Let me be crystal clear: this was my fault because I forgot Victor’s last name.

That thought process absolutely works for me. Sara’s playing with fire by tolerating/encouraging the “technically...” shippers, and I want to say they’ve never actually talked about how weird that is, because that makes for a fantastic angry conversation to have here in this issue. Something to scream at each other about instead of talking about deeper insecurities.

Thanks for helping me get back onto the same page! I’m in sync with you again, all is good.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #707

My take on Mami Jimenez, for what it's worth, is as a charitable back-alley cyber surgeon so collecting clever kids and teaching them the trade is eminently doable.

Oh, absolutely. Victor very much wants to reconcile with Prometheus, to understand what happened, how it went wrong, and fix his mistake. I'll just be over here staring longingly at unlocking his Moment of Truth.

Although, can we talk about Moments of Truth? It seems kind of weird to solve an in-universe problem by taking a move. I'm not sure I understand the MoT correctly.
    So basically I am under no obligation to make problems solveable. When I'm running a villain I have the mechanical backing to just escalate endlessly, make things worse and worse, and ruthlessly capitalize on failures. I have huge power as MC, a lot more than in other AW systems, to make villains scary, unstoppable, and either have them escape or have success be horribly consequential as I please.

The Moment of Truth lets you short circuit all that. It lets you completely take narrative control of a scene away from me and resolve it permanently. No more prison escapes, no more backslides, no more TO BE CONTINUEDs - you just get to do it your way, have your crowning moment of awesome, and call it done. Using it is a pivotal moment for the character, narratively and mechanically, the climax of your personal movie and character arc. There can be a sequel but this part is finished.

So if you use your thing to solve Prometheus' evilness then the next character arc is you and Prometheus learning to work together again, but he's not going to become evil a second time.

if she's not blood related she's free to be dated

I was imagining them more like, they're both apprentices/patients of Mami, making it more like a same-school rather than same-family thing...

Let me be crystal clear: this was my fault because I forgot Victor’s last name.

That thought process absolutely works for me. Sara’s playing with fire by tolerating/encouraging the “technically...” shippers, and I want to say they’ve never actually talked about how weird that is, because that makes for a fantastic angry conversation to have here in this issue. Something to scream at each other about instead of talking about deeper insecurities.

Thanks for helping me get back onto the same page! I’m in sync with you again, all is good.
    ... but I also want to see this argument.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

Behold, the secret lore of Euna’s favorite show.

Me: Alright, time to sleep now
    My brain: but wait i haven't finished thinking through all the implications of that dumb joke you made yesterday

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PRINCESS CHAMPIONS OF HYPERBOREA MEDIA FRANCHISE

Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea: Visual Novel 2155

The first incarnation of Hyperborea was, of course, a visual novel by Renji Honeysmith. Honeysmith developed the concept while working as an animator for BlackSun's War Knight: Zulu propaganda anime. Most of the character designs were rejected concept sketches for War Knight characters that Honeysmith found himself attached to. The visual novel was an isekai dating simulator, wherein generic anime protagonist Hiroshi Yama is transported through to a fantasy world and can date a variety of colourful princesses while fighting against the evil Watchers and the wicked trickster-gnome Oberon. This original VN had H scenes, and those kinks never really left Hyperborea's DNA.

Princess Alina Cascade: "I love you, Hiroshi... but I know that your heart belongs to another."

Fan reception to the original Princess Alina was mixed. Her route starts off as a generic romance but over the course of it Alina identifies that Hiroshi is homesick and misses Saki, the girl who lived next door to him in the real world. At the end, Alina tearfully convinces Hiroshi to return home to earth and leave Hyperborea behind - an ending that is either considered to be a beautiful show of empathy or a disappointing shutdown, depending. She was also criticised for her endless costume changes, which some users complained 'made it difficult to remember which one she was', but dedicated fans set out to collect all of her possible variants.

Adila The Dragon: "It's not like I like you or anything! It's just that I have to obey anyone who defeats me in battle. It's a dragon thing, you wouldn't understand, baka!"

Adila the Dragon was a wicked and absurdly campy enforcer of the evil Watchers who, in most routes, kidnaps Hiroshi's love interest at some point. From the combination of her lurid appearance and ridiculous skeletor voice, most readers assumed her to be male until the Adila route - where after being defeated by Hiroshi she turns into a human girl and promptly falls in tsundere with him.

Princess Kazelia: "I've been reading books about human love and they're very confusing. I have questions."

The tutorial boss and in-game exposition encyclopaedia. After being defeated by Hiroshi she spends the rest of the game hanging around camp providing textwall infodumps about her sisters, how the magic system works, how the combat system works, etc. Her romance route is generally regarded as one of the best but is also the least played through because it's five times the length of all the others and padded out with huge amounts of worldbuilding and exposition.

Oberon: "Nyeh heh heh! These princesses are so gullible!"

A wicked little gnome who plays evil pranks on people and is the reason why all the princesses attack Hiroshi when initially encountered.

Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea: 2158 anime adaption

Hyperborea's reception was mixed - the visual designs were universally praised but the writing was generally considered forgettable. Still, it was successful enough to get a low budget anime adaptation a few years later. S&S' reception was generally negative - the studio adapted the unpopular Alina route and the fact that they blew their entire animation budget on a small number of ridiculously high budget fight scenes really showed. The show was rushed and the voice actors were horribly miscast or phoned it in - with the sole exception of Oberon's VA who was shown the wrong concept art for his character and thought he was supposed to be a brilliant, seductive manipulator and not a creepy little gnome. To this day fans actively warn new viewers away from watching S&S for anything other than the fight scenes - or as fodder for memes about the current cast.

The Shadow War For Hyperborea: 2165 video game tie-in

BlackSun sold the rights for an underperforming Hyperborea to AEGIS, who turned the IP over to a small gaming studio to see what they did with it. They created the critically acclaimed Shadow War For Hyperborea - a prequel adventure about Princess Adila I's campaign to conquer the Hyperborea setting. The Watchers were fleshed out from generic villains into elite soldiers who wielded a variety of magical weapons that they would drop as loot upon their defeat. Shadow War was widely successful and continued to be developed for over a decade with constant patches, updates, and DLC. Honeysmith's original designs and art style remained the foundation for Hyperborea's distinctive look, but the writing was fleshed out with brilliant and beloved characters like Princess Valissa.

Princess Champions of Hyperborea: 2175 reboot

After a decade of success in rebuilding the brand identity of Hyperborea, AEGIS gave the greenlight to a new animated series remaking the original visual novel. Honeysmith was brought on as an executive producer, but he was such a fan of Shadow War he committed himself purely to doing the visual designs and letting the Shadow War team write the script. The resulting Princess Champions of Hyperborea ditched the isekai concept and re-imagined the original cast into their modern forms, to wild critical acclaim.
    EDIT:

Also go back fairy circus simulator 2000
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-09-19 at 07:27 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Behold, the secret lore of Euna’s favorite show.
    Errant: *frantically scrambling to bury certain folders on her hard drive*

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

Post up after work tomorrow.
    LGBTA+itP

21. - Top - End - #711

Thanqol, out of curiosity, do you have Drives and Moves statted out for your heroes too?

22. - Top - End - #712

Thanqol, out of curiosity, do you have Drives and Moves statted out for your heroes too?
    No, I'd only do that if I was going to use them as a villain.

23. - Top - End - #713

This AMV is maximum aesthetic for this game.

24. - Top - End - #714

This AMV is maximum aesthetic for this game.
    Hot dang. That fits entirely too well.

This is an opportunity for me to finally share a song I've been meaning to share for weeks. It's about a particular villain from a particular game, so many portions aren't generic enough to fit, but the chorus is pure Comstar.

All Eyes On Me
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-09-21 at 03:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715

This is an opportunity for me to finally share a song I've been meaning to share for weeks. It's about a particular villain from a particular game, so many portions aren't generic enough to fit, but the chorus is pure Comstar.

All Eyes On Me
    Fantastic pick, that's also kind of how I imagined her voice too.

26. - Top - End - #716

Fantastic pick, that's also kind of how I imagined her voice too.
    By the way, if you ever have AMVs that you want to share, always and forever feel free to throw them at me. When I hear a song that I really like, I start to imagine the video/action sequence/fight scene that would go along with it, and AMVs are somebody making that dream a reality. But for how much I like them, I rarely ever go searching for them, and I honestly don't know why I haven't looked harder. Which is all to say that recommendations are always welcome.

27. - Top - End - #717

By the way, if you ever have AMVs that you want to share, always and forever feel free to throw them at me. When I hear a song that I really like, I start to imagine the video/action sequence/fight scene that would go along with it, and AMVs are somebody making that dream a reality. But for how much I like them, I rarely ever go searching for them, and I honestly don't know why I haven't looked harder. Which is all to say that recommendations are always welcome.
    This isn't quite like asking Phoe for a kpop list but it's not not like that either.

Here's just the content of my 'liked' folder. I put my personal favourites near the top, but all of these are things that I watched and was like 'that was good, I'd want to watch it again'. They're all fantastic mood pieces and I'd recommend giving them a watch.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-21 at 05:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

All Eyes On Me
    What a crazy coinkidink!

I've already got the singer in mind for PCoH Season 2.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I wanted to do a big fancy post for her first use of that move, but killer migraine happened. Damn.
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #720

Debating, also, whether that clears Insecure or not
    Basically the rule with clearing conditions through bad decisions is that it needs to be a bad decision. I'll proceed as though it is, but that means I'll be treating the outcome of that move as essentially negative even though you rolled a success, so go ahead and clear the condition.