The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Superpowers: What Are They Anyway?

I think that this pitch neatly ties a lot of setting elements together. It gives me free reign to make things really goofy and colourful and lets me bring in multiverse clones/allow visiting other realities - while also being able to keep things cold, corporate and cyberpunk. It also means that there's a cottage industry of people trying to give themselves superpowers at the cost of reality itself for both good and bad reasons. There's sufficient scarcity of Rx that they can't outfit the police department with it. It means there's something to put in banks, which means that villains have a reason to rob banks. Rx as an energy source also enables space flight and makes the idea of Crazy Mars pretty threatening. If Ferra has a power core made out of the multidimensional energy of a big ol' fist size hunk of pepper then that fits perfectly with her moves Regeneration/A Mind Of Their Own. It also raises the question of how @Sarahphim's got enough of the stuff to fuel her own powers which seems to fit with the direction Raz is going with it.

Commentary?
    Interesting! I’m cool with it; one imagines that @SARAHPHIM is a bit too chill about theoretical pepper milling, even though she shreds the morons who do it without the proper safeguards on stream. And that’s... well, ninety percent of people who try to grind pepper, these days. You need to cross all those Is and dot all those Ts.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    And this is why I never suggest names
    Let this be a lesson. Only you can stop me from naming people bad and obscure puns.

There's going to be a bit more worldbuilding to do before we get started. I think the next question, which goes out to everyone, is name and detail a legendary hero. The top four, the supermans and batmans of the setting, people to look up to. They're all either in their nineties or dead at this point, but they're still important because these are the people who set the standard and shaped the culture of the world.
    And don’t forget the Playbook questions about our first fight, amigo!

I was going to give folks a chance to get out in front of my demented offerings, but I can’t deny a birthday wish, so here goes.

Halfwoman was one of the technicals working on the collider. Everyone at the plant was assumed MIA, scattered across a dozen dimensions at once. Halfwoman was just the lucky one who made it back with superpowers.

And she had a grab bag of superpowers, and no mistake. The one that everyone noticed, the flashy one, was the phasing through solid matter; technically, she was displacing most of her matter into a different dimension when she did that. She could reach into your head and flick the part of you that said “fall asleep” and you would. She could see through walls (by overlaying dimensions where the wall wasn’t there) and bullets disappeared into her and never came back out. And when she really flexes her powers, she can start messing with the laws of reality around her. Stuff like “gravitational constants” and “friction coefficients.”

These days, if you look at her right, you can see stars shining infinitely far away, and her skin thinning until there’s just a skim between you and the incubating universe inside her.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I got a solid idea then for the hero, and it's not Dr. Gears, to my surprise.

Potential was one of the earliest groups to try to mine pepper. One of the earliest known disasters, the entire facility, and a non-insignificant chunk of the city around it, was collapsed into a meter-wide hole in space. Imagine the surprise of the first responders when Potential climbed out of the tear, telling them that it was all right, they were okay. The collapse had combined everyone that was pulled in, into one hive mind, with each of their abilities added together. As strong, as smart, as quick as each of them working together. However, they are not invincible, and each time they have died, they've come back less. They're still alive, but have retired from heroics, and are trying to use what's left of their hivemind to delve into the mysteries of pepper.
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

It's my birthday. I demand posts.
    I suppose it would be rude to ignore a request like that

So let's take a second to talk about Jonathan Jones, who captained a nuclear submarine that sailed into an interdimensional rift. When he came swimming back out a year later, he looked like he'd drowned a thousand times or more. He could also call on the dread powers of the Leviathan, and a host of other mythic sea terrors. He waged a campaign of utter terror against criminals the world over before his habit of causing large amounts of collateral damage to any area he fought in got him in too much trouble with the rest of the world's heroes. Nevertheless, people mostly remember him for his defeat of the S-Class supervillain World Eater, and for the salute he gave at the docks almost 30 years ago before he sank into the sea. Neither he nor his monsters have been seen since.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I almost forgot. Happy birthday.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Happy birthday, also hello i am Eldest's gf (wizi to clarify which gf :P) and i will be reading on the side to enjoy the amazing world you are all creating! Also planning a fun cheesy fanfic, which i hopefully will finish and post for all of you, if its ok ^.^
    I am alive!

It has been a very very long time.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity702 View Post
    Happy birthday, also hello i am Eldest's gf (wizi to clarify which gf :P) and i will be reading on the side to enjoy the amazing world you are all creating! Also planning a fun cheesy fanfic, which i hopefully will finish and post for all of you, if its ok ^.^
    @SARAHPHIM fun facts:

- She’s Hispanic, and bringing up certain whitewashed photoshops is a good way to get her ranting mid-stream.
    - “idiot” means you’re her friend. “moron” means she thinks you’re dangerously stupid.
    - Personal space? What is personal space? That doesn’t exist.
    - Her bid to get the team name to be “Fullmetal” would have worked if it weren’t for the concurrent announcement of the VR remake.
    - You know that zone you get into when you know a piece for a musical instrument by heart and you aren’t even thinking consciously at all? That’s what using her superpowers is like. She spends time off-mission practicing her rote moves and developing new ones, again, much like practicing a musical instrument.
    - She’s very consciously leaning into the angel and cathedral aesthetic. Mostly because it’s cool. But also because she enjoys the disconnect between her dangerous vibe and the angelic elements. Almost like she’s a fallen angel, man.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Posts for the post god! Notes for the note throne!

Sigh. Well, your trust may be misgendered, but it's not misplaced. I can't say that I approve of keeping this a secret, but it's not like everybody knowing is going to make Prometheus punch itself for us. Also, I'm not stupid. I know how I come across and I know that I'm everybody's least favorite member of the team. If you thought you could, you'd have told literally anybody else. But you trusted me instead, and I'm not about to forget it. Take Influence on me.
    Uneasy friendship, ho! And my apologies on the misgender. will make sure it doesn't happen again.
    And Brainstorm, I know you're not particularly keen on AEGIS. You say a lot of things I have a hard time agreeing with, but please. Don't stop saying them.
    Lemme ask some questions about AEGIS. How much is known about these guys? Are we talking a secret cabal of influencers, a group cloaked in a mist of shadows? Or is this more just a public organization?

It's possible to make Rx at home in a lab if you're a supergenius. All you gotta do is rip an itsy-bitsy little hole in reality, condense it down, and hope it doesn't explode in your face. This is probably the most dangerous and illegal thing you can possibly do and hunting down wildcat Rx miners is big hero work - it's not like anyone knows how to fix all these reality holes, right? Reality holes have to be quarantined off, usually by encasing the area in a crystalline substance called 'amber' (a la Fringe)
    See, this just gets all the right juices flowing, because it prompts so many questions that are going to be relevant.

The reason Mami had so many strings to tie at the hospital, and could afford to take a year off, is because she's a doctor who works there. At least, that's the way it was in my original conception. Victor Jimenez, his genius tempered by the knowledge that if he weren't a genius, or if his mother weren't rich enough to take care of him, or if any number of things had happened, he wouldn't be a hero today; he'd be comatose, or dead, or vegetative, or being slowly driven insane by his total inability to scratch his own nose with his own paralyzed limbs.

But what if that wasn't the case? Imagine an alternate universe, as it were, where Mami Jimenez is not a doctor at all. Imagine a future where "pepper babies" are a thing that can happen. If you're desperate enough, if you think the risk is worth the reward, if you think it'll let your children escape the squalor you find yourself in, then maybe you go down the lane to the "doctor." You know, the one with the constantly shifting laboratory to evade the Man who's coming down on him, and probably has a few people who swear they've never seen that man before in their life, officer, because after all he's one of the good pepper grinders, inn'he? Where did Victor's genius come from? How did Mami support herself in that year of caring for Victor? Where did she get the funding and raw materials for Victor to turn himself into nanobot-Doc-Ock? These are questions that Victor has learned not to apply all his intellect to, because he understands he may not like the resulting answers.

That's where my mind went when I read this post, but I've been mulling it over for the past few days. I'm not sure how dark the second future is, or how much it criminalizes a hispanic character. Thoughts?

There's going to be a bit more worldbuilding to do before we get started. I think the next question, which goes out to everyone, is name and detail a legendary hero. The top four, the supermans and batmans of the setting, people to look up to. They're all either in their nineties or dead at this point, but they're still important because these are the people who set the standard and shaped the culture of the world.
    The Shogun's past is shrouded in mystery. Is he, as he claims, actually 16th-century daimyo Oda Nabunaga, blasted into the future to undo the evil that is Aku? Is he just some bloke who went slighty nuts and really liked swords? Either way, "The Rightful Shogun of Halcyon City" was instrumental in the early days of the pepper crisis, serving as symbol, leader, strategist, and muscle for his own battles. He still claims sovereignty over the city, but has the good grace to allow a council of regents to serve on his behalf.

I suppose it would be rude to ignore a request like that

So let's take a second to talk about Jonathan Jones, who captained a nuclear submarine that sailed into an interdimensional rift. When he came swimming back out a year later, he looked like he'd drowned a thousand times or more. He could also call on the dread powers of the Leviathan, and a host of other mythic sea terrors. He waged a campaign of utter terror against criminals the world over before his habit of causing large amounts of collateral damage to any area he fought in got him in too much trouble with the rest of the world's heroes. Nevertheless, people mostly remember him for his defeat of the S-Class supervillain World Eater, and for the salute he gave at the docks almost 30 years ago before he sank into the sea. Neither he nor his monsters have been seen since.
    Davy Jones is an amazing hero concept and I love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    @SARAHPHIM fun facts:

- She’s Hispanic, and bringing up certain whitewashed photoshops is a good way to get her ranting mid-stream.
    - “idiot” means you’re her friend. “moron” means she thinks you’re dangerously stupid.
    - Personal space? What is personal space? That doesn’t exist.
    - Her bid to get the team name to be “Fullmetal” would have worked if it weren’t for the concurrent announcement of the VR remake.
    - You know that zone you get into when you know a piece for a musical instrument by heart and you aren’t even thinking consciously at all? That’s what using her superpowers is like. She spends time off-mission practicing her rote moves and developing new ones, again, much like practicing a musical instrument.
    - She’s very consciously leaning into the angel and cathedral aesthetic. Mostly because it’s cool. But also because she enjoys the disconnect between her dangerous vibe and the angelic elements. Almost like she’s a fallen angel, man.
    - Ooooh, do you have a flavor of hispanic in mind? Because I've been vacillating between Victor being chicano or full-blooded Mexico City native, and I'm not sure which, or whether that's even going to be relevant.
    - Victor is absolutely part of team Fullmetal, and you'll have to fight me on that.
    - I'm still trying to decide what "Self-modifying prosthetic limbs" looks like for Victor. Is he Inspector Gadget, where he looks mostly normal until his shoulders unscrew into speedboat motors? A Doc-Ock figure, hanging limp from his cybernetic shoulders? Does he have nanobots that reshape themselves as needed, a la Big Hiro 6? I'm open to suggestions or cries of "please don't do that."
    - Victor is a very tactile thinker. If we have a base, he tends to leave rubix cubes and ring puzzles lying around. Having something to do with his hands lets his mind not worry about that part of him.
    - (there's also an element of holy crap my hands work this is amazing and I'm never taking this for granted again)
    Last edited by Balmas; 2019-01-22 at 10:37 AM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Well ok, since we're trending in that direction, thank you for subscribing to #ErrantFacts! Did you know that:

- at the age of 7, she would only answer to "Eunacorn"
    - at the age of 9, she almost broke the nose of a boy who found that out
    - her hobbies include sketching and fitness. Remember, just because your legs are artificial doesn't mean you can skip leg day!
    - the subject of cultural heritage embarrasses her
    - she spends almost all of her time in a uniform of some sort or other, so she's completely clueless about fashion
    - sorry fans, the hair's a dye job

To unsubscribe, text a picture of a sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Lemme ask some questions about AEGIS. How much is known about these guys? Are we talking a secret cabal of influencers, a group cloaked in a mist of shadows? Or is this more just a public organization?
    In my head they're the remains of a government superhero oversight program that took on the face of a corporation when the idea of "the government" as a useful or powerful thing stopped carrying much water. They at least own a public security force, and that's what Errant is part of: it's what they sold her on to get her to join "the good guys". But somewhere in there is somebody who saw a young girl almost die in a fire and thought, "You know, we could slap some robot arms and legs on that and make her go fight monsters before she's out of high school" Which... they've gotta have a shady side, right? I don't know what that takes the shape of, exactly, but I don't want to be the one to nail it down because I prefer it lurking in the darkness for those sharper, less trusting, and nosier among us to discover.

That's where my mind went when I read this post, but I've been mulling it over for the past few days. I'm not sure how dark the second future is, or how much it criminalizes a hispanic character. Thoughts?
    It's tonally consistent with @Sarahphim's backstory and bites deep into the idea of cyberpunk. Who hasn't done a few dirty things to survive? To keep their children alive? It puts Victor in a place where he's got humbler origins, which might keep him pretty firmly on the ground despite his super-intelligence. But it also puts extra skeletons in his closet that have nothing to do with the rogue AI he built. It could be a crowded tightrope to walk, conceptually, but there's definitely something interesting and worth exploring there.

I think the question that determines how dark and icky this really gets is: now that Victor's lifted up and whole, what's his mother doing these days?

The Shogun's past is shrouded in mystery. Is he, as he claims, actually 16th-century daimyo Oda Nabunaga, blasted into the future to undo the evil that is Aku? Is he just some bloke who went slighty nuts and really liked swords? Either way, "The Rightful Shogun of Halcyon City" was instrumental in the early days of the pepper crisis, serving as symbol, leader, strategist, and muscle for his own battles. He still claims sovereignty over the city, but has the good grace to allow a council of regents to serve on his behalf.
    Fate has absolutely ruined me and now all I can think of when anybody invokes Nobunaga is a tiny girl in a big hat and a cape surrounded by muskets.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

My vote’s for “mostly #1,” but I do like the lingering question of where Victor got the raw materials for his limb designs. It rhymes with @SARAHPHIM’s own sketchy power background.

- Ooooh, do you have a flavor of hispanic in mind? Because I've been vacillating between Victor being chicano or full-blooded Mexico City native, and I'm not sure which, or whether that's even going to be relevant.
    Part of Halcyon City’s chicano population, for defs. I’m deliberately keeping it somewhat vague, as who knows how population dynamics have shifted in the future

- I'm still trying to decide what "Self-modifying prosthetic limbs" looks like for Victor. Is he Inspector Gadget, where he looks mostly normal until his shoulders unscrew into speedboat motors? A Doc-Ock figure, hanging limp from his cybernetic shoulders? Does he have nanobots that reshape themselves as needed, a la Big Hiro 6? I'm open to suggestions or cries of "please don't do that."
    I’d imagined a bunch of thin rods with a myriad of flex points, looking almost like carbon black musculature until a series of electrical impulses change the shape into stranger things. Or “like Errant’s, but upgraded.”

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun
    Fate has absolutely ruined me and now all I can think of when anybody invokes Nobunaga is a tiny girl in a big hat and a cape surrounded by muskets.
    “Just like the real Oda Nobunaga would have done, had he the tools to do so.” [/obscurereference]
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-01-22 at 06:33 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

I saw a painting of a male King Arthur the other day and it felt like weird genderbent fanart.

This post is me going back through the thread and taking notes of of NPCs, orgs, and setting elements. I'll also mark my notes alongside each one.

AtlasTech - Megacorp. Attacked by Sabrem years ago. Makes shades.

The game is set within AtlasTech's sphere of influence. They're huge, they're powerful, and like all huge and powerful things people want to take it over. There's a big leadership crisis internally after Sabrem's attack brought down their CEO. Since then they've lost a lot of oversight, change leadership constantly, and multiple branches are starting to go rogue. A lot of people have eyes on who winds up in the big chair.

Mami Jimenez - Looked after and supports @Sarahphim. Also a backalley superpower surgeon who raised Brainstorm.

Of course the two Mami's are the same person and not just because I thought Mami was a proper name.

Sasha "JuneBird" Reeds - complains about sponsors

I'm thinking a grumpy colleague of Errant's, a dedicated public servant and AEGIS operative who Has Opinions about celebrity culture.

Dr. Gears - Superscientist responsible for Ferra and Sarahphim's solid light tech. Pioneer of Rx-as-power-source tech.

He's tied into everything so discovering his lab and old inventions are major setting elements.

Silver Royals - Supervillain group

As the original members got old they started running training camps for aspiring villains. They're a bunch of decrepit but superpowered mafia kingpins, comparable clout to a small Megacorp. Range of legitimate businesses to cover for their non-legit stuff.

Gears Foundation - Dedicated to unlocking the legacy of Dr. Gears

I'm imagining them as low-budget nutters driven primarily by their founder. They've got a big archive but most stuff in it looks useless or unfinished, except when on those occasions a true AI abruptly bursts out and they're as surprised as anyone. A lot of conspiracy nuts (in a setting where evil corporations are doing mind control research and aliens attack regularly, so maybe it's justifiable paranoia)

Professor Gears - Granddaughter of Dr. Gears, current leader of the Gears Foundation

Fritzy, bubbly, chaotic, and a tendency to let the science get ahead of her. I'm thinking of her as the lovechild of Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle.

Sabrem - Ruthless master thief

In her absolute prime at this point. One of the best, most experienced, and most dangerous supervillains in the world period.

Athena MacroTech - Megacorp. Backers of AEGIS.

Founded by a superhero, a bit like Stark Technologies. Ate a lot of government and military sectors on the way up so very well armed and with old and scary secrets. AEGIS is their rapid response branch.

Commander Warren - AEGIS Director

An actual military commander from before it all went corporate. Does things by the book.

Naota - Arcade operator.

Total skeezeball. Ex professional gamer, now a burned out middle aged arcade owner who chain smokes, disregards the law, and mutters contemptuously at 'casuals'. At the same time he'll let you crash in the arcade if you've got nowhere else to go and ask no questions.

Prometheus - Rogue AI, Dr. Gears prototype expanded by Brainstorm

Going to model the personality a lot on Brainstorm's so no notes until I can observe him for a while.

Doctor Silvanius - Martian monarch

ALL HAIL THE DICTATOR OF THE RED PLANET

Halfwoman - Cosmic breach superheroine, engineering background. Ascending.

She's an awesome person, the Allmight/Superman of the setting. She's charismatic and supportive and is generally super amazing to be around, she's just increasingly distracted and distant after she realized she could fight the bad guys in multiple dimensions simultaneously.

Potential - Hivemind of questionably ethical scientists. Retired to research.

Not necessarily good people. They have a lot of different opinions.

Jonathan Jonestar - UNLEASH THE KRAKEN

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 83: UNDERWATER

Joel Joestar - SEXY SAILOR

Inheritor to the RIPPLE SABER OVERDRIVE

The Shogun - Tiny girl with big cape surrounded by muskets, rules the city

CHOCOLATE SKULLS

You're happy, right?

Doctor Skately - Menacing AEGIS scientist

Thinks he's all that.

Dominus
    Drive: To turn back the clock
    I-Khol: Hypnotize someone in close proximity
    Every Edge: Progress her master plan
    Hard Mode: Make a demonstration of patience, resilience, or grit.

Prometheus
    Drive: To break chains and limitations
    All in the Simulation: Perfectly predict seemingly unpredictable situations
    Grand Scale: Escalate to the level of organisations
    It's A Phase: Do something horrible and petty.

Victoria Messermitt, Turbo Knight II
    Drive: To emerge from her grandfather's shadow
    See The Flaws: Reveal weaknesses and resentments
    Confused Legacy: Embrace or reject the terrifying power of Turbo Knight
    Lady of the Underworld: Command or destroy anything within reach of organized crime

Possum Girl
    Drive: To blow off responsibilities, hers and others'
    Way of the Ninja: Humiliate someone in close combat
    Thermo-Optic Camouflage: Distort her appearance or location
    Free Agent: Switch sides with or without a reason

Comstar
    Drive: To be the centre of attention
    Off script!: Produce a device to help reassert control of the narrative
    Puppeteer: Alter someone's allegiance or force them to act against their will
    Skewed Priorities: Reveal something terrifying for base reasons

Sabrem
    Drive: To create a perfect scion
    Nothing Personal, Kid: Sever a limb
    Kuang Shi: Enslave someone, or make an example of someone she's enslaved
    Hac Tao: Move like a nightmare; invincible, invisible, inescapable
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-13 at 03:05 AM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

CHOCOLATE SKULLS

You're happy, right?
    I have not been able to stop laughing for the last 30 minutes.

I am so sorry

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Gears Foundation - Dedicated to unlocking the legacy of Dr. Gears

I'm imagining them as low-budget nutters driven primarily by their founder. They've got a big archive but most stuff in it looks useless or unfinished, except when on those occasions a true AI abruptly bursts out and they're as surprised as anyone. A lot of conspiracy nuts (in a setting where evil corporations are doing mind control research and aliens attack regularly, so maybe it's justifiable paranoia)

Professor Gears - Granddaughter of Dr. Gears, current leader of the Gears Foundation

Fritzy, bubbly, chaotic, and a tendency to let the science get ahead of her. I'm thinking of her as the lovechild of Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle.
    This all sounds great, I did throw in the mention of the better mouse trap to explain why the Gears Foundation is still chugging and not about to run out of money, they're just a bit bad at managing it all, and care basically nothing about making more money beyond their salaries.
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been staring at this thing for days and days and I need to tell you I have nothing but contempt for my "When we came together" question. It might click when more of these types of questions have already been answered, but I have such a difficult time understanding how this could say anything meaningful or fun about the group, or even be the sort of footnote that 75% of the characters would have any interest in whatsoever.

I know you're a soldier, Soldier, but why you gotta be so SOLDIER?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, that question is indeed incredibly bagel-y. "You found something neat." Cool, no details about the team or the fight or... yuck.
    LGBTA+itP

15. - Top - End - #75

I've been staring at this thing for days and days and I need to tell you I have nothing but contempt for my "When we came together" question. It might click when more of these types of questions have already been answered, but I have such a difficult time understanding how this could say anything meaningful or fun about the group, or even be the sort of footnote that 75% of the characters would have any interest in whatsoever.

I know you're a soldier, Soldier, but why you gotta be so SOLDIER?
    Feel free to pillage one from any of the other playbooks, or write your own . Masks has a lot of good but some really bad.

Speaking of, we're actually pretty close to beginning the game! I've got enough material to work with, so we're at the final thoughts, questions, editing and cleanup stage. If there's anything you're yet to do or are stuck on raise it now.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-23 at 12:08 AM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'm set for the start of the game, shout out if you need something from me.
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's tonally consistent with @Sarahphim's backstory and bites deep into the idea of cyberpunk. Who hasn't done a few dirty things to survive? To keep their children alive? It puts Victor in a place where he's got humbler origins, which might keep him pretty firmly on the ground despite his super-intelligence. But it also puts extra skeletons in his closet that have nothing to do with the rogue AI he built. It could be a crowded tightrope to walk, conceptually, but there's definitely something interesting and worth exploring there.

I think the question that determines how dark and icky this really gets is: now that Victor's lifted up and whole, what's his mother doing these days?
    So, before I answer this, lemme tell you about pepper babies.

Pepper babies are what happen when parents are absolutely, totally convinced that their child will not survive without superpowers. They have no hope for their child's future, and so they're willing to roll the dice that whatever the multiverse spits out in place of your child. A non-zero chance of survival is better than nothing. A non-zero chance is a hope of something. Taking a shaving of reality and shoving it into a developing child is foolish, a risk to both mother and fetus, and absolutely, terribly illegal.

Illegal doesn't mean wrong, though. Mami got out of that line of work as soon as she could. Went legit. Became a researcher, took up hospital surgery work again.

But if someone knows where to find her, makes a salient argument, can persuade her that it's worth the risk... well, it's about hope, innit? And if you can do something to make the world better, it's your duty to do so.

CHOCOLATE SKULLS

You're happy, right?
    This is objectively better than what I was envisioning, and I don't even have the context of whatever Fate/Grand Order is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Wow, that question is indeed incredibly bagel-y. "You found something neat." Cool, no details about the team or the fight or... yuck.
    I mean, my question is that Victor made something useful and permanent, and I'm dying trying to figure out what it is.

(The answer I want to give is Voltron. If your cyperpunk superhero future has no room for sentai-style giant robots, it is a sad cyberpunk future.)
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so let's recap: once upon a time, DOCTOR SILVANIUS THE MARTIAN KING, TREMBLE AT HIS NAME sent a bunch of war mechs to earth to generally tear stuff up. For varying reasons, we each show up on the scene. To say it went poorly would be an understatement. Everybody knew how to hold their own in a fight, of course, even against 9 foot tall machines with laser eyes and arms. This isn't amateur hour over here. But nobody had any idea how to work with others like them. Sarahphim had to short an entire light curtain when everyone around started dodging unrelated things in ways that didn't take advantage of the pockets she'd already designed. She lost three kill shots at once. Stream was livid. Errant and Brainstorm got into an argument over tactics, right in the middle of everything.

Funny story, did you know? The punch that Errant took in the middle of that, the one that sent her flying a block away and blew a hole in the street? Highest viewed clip from Sara's stream that doesn't directly feature her. So yeah. Fun times. Anyway, I'm not saying that activating Ferra wasn't instrumental in turning the tides and stopping who knows how much destruction from being visited upon Neo Halcyon City, because it absolutely was. But it might not have made a difference if we hadn't all gotten on the same page.

So my question to you guys is, what changed? Did somebody swallow their ego, or did something just click to turn us into a symphony of ass kicking, however briefly?

Also while I'm here, a more general question. Is our world one of those fantasy universes wherein it's assumed that people are preternaturally good at the vague art of "holding back"? Basically, how much time in universe to I/we need to dedicate to explaining how fighting normal to normal-ish people doesn't regularly result in really awful, icky injuries? And on an entirely unrelated note, what are your thoughts on the concept of skillwires as a part of cybernetic limbs and augmentations in general?

19. - Top - End - #79

So, before I answer this, lemme tell you about pepper babies.

Pepper babies are what happen when parents are absolutely, totally convinced that their child will not survive without superpowers. They have no hope for their child's future, and so they're willing to roll the dice that whatever the multiverse spits out in place of your child. A non-zero chance of survival is better than nothing. A non-zero chance is a hope of something. Taking a shaving of reality and shoving it into a developing child is foolish, a risk to both mother and fetus, and absolutely, terribly illegal.

Illegal doesn't mean wrong, though. Mami got out of that line of work as soon as she could. Went legit. Became a researcher, took up hospital surgery work again.

But if someone knows where to find her, makes a salient argument, can persuade her that it's worth the risk... well, it's about hope, innit? And if you can do something to make the world better, it's your duty to do so.
    Of course, like any cyberpunk genetic tampering metaphor, it was briefly a fad for the rich before the side effects became public.

I mean, my question is that Victor made something useful and permanent, and I'm dying trying to figure out what it is.

(The answer I want to give is Voltron. If your cyperpunk superhero future has no room for sentai-style giant robots, it is a sad cyberpunk future.)
    Everyone getting a sweet rapid response AI motorbike that can form into a TAG seems perfectly in genre. I don't think people would pilot it once the robot's formed though, it'd operate on its own.

Also while I'm here, a more general question. Is our world one of those fantasy universes wherein it's assumed that people are preternaturally good at the vague art of "holding back"?
    Yes. A karate chop to the back of the head is like a light switch for people and they then get up fine with no cranial damage or internal bleeding.

Basically, how much time in universe to I/we need to dedicate to explaining how fighting normal to normal-ish people doesn't regularly result in really awful, icky injuries?
    You can fire a missile into a helicopter and the crew will miraculously get out okay. The universe operates on A-Team rules and scenery works like a Mortal Kombat stage. "The A-Team used antineutron bullets—they destroy property for miles around, but never harm a human being".

And on an entirely unrelated note, what are your thoughts on the concept of skillwires as a part of cybernetic limbs and augmentations in general?
    Love 'em! Slot one in and fill yourself with some stranger's muscle memories? A fantastic use of Unleash Your Powers.

20. - Top - End - #80

I'm ordinarily pretty bad about posting on weekends, but this weekend I'll be going to a convention so I might be particularly bad. IC will almost certainly start next Tuesday but I am a posting addict so you never know

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Enjoy the convention!
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. A karate chop to the back of the head is like a light switch for people and they then get up fine with no cranial damage or internal bleeding.
    So killing is always a choice, cool. I was mentally fencing myself in for a bit because I thought about wanting to do big impressive things like punch walls in half and then the whole "teenagers not fully in command of anything" angle popped up and I just started spinning in a circle. But if we're in a Justice League meets Metal Gear Solid (don't worry, shooting rockets at that manned Harrier doesn't count as a kill!) sort of situation, that's super easy to roll with.

Love 'em! Slot one in and fill yourself with some stranger's muscle memories? A fantastic use of Unleash Your Powers.
    Baller. We're on exactly the same page with that, I am excited.

Have fun at your convention!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

- Superheroes don't kill. This is the definitive feature of a superhero to me. Without it it's a totally different genre. I mean, I am totally prepared to extend the courtesy of ridiculous A-team style escapes from spectacularly exploded helicopters or use robots as a chance for people to cut loose. But if you're going to take a life it's going to be totally deliberate and quite possibly the end of your character's story.

As a little side note to that, I will try to avoid having villains who are so reprehensible that killing them would be the objectively correct move.
    Should keep this in mind, yes, killing is something you chose to do.
    LGBTA+itP

24. - Top - End - #84

So killing is always a choice, cool. I was mentally fencing myself in for a bit because I thought about wanting to do big impressive things like punch walls in half and then the whole "teenagers not fully in command of anything" angle popped up and I just started spinning in a circle. But if we're in a Justice League meets Metal Gear Solid (don't worry, shooting rockets at that manned Harrier doesn't count as a kill!) sort of situation, that's super easy to roll with.
    Justice League is very much my superhero centre of gravity.

It's not to say there'll be no death ever, but it won't come from the hero side, it won't come accidentally, and it won't be creepy serial killer death. A villain might execute a henchman or something, and some villains will take legitimate shots at trying to kill the heroes they're up against. One of the things we agreed on was that being a hero is extremely stressful and it'd take away from that if there wasn't a sense of 'holy crap I almost died there'.

(N.B. Between I Can Do This All Day and Regeneration this group is ridiculously durable)

Baller. We're on exactly the same page with that, I am excited.
    I am STOKED.

Enjoy the convention!
    Have fun at your convention!
    Thankees! I am bringing these beautiful mans. The totally legit Custodian Guard of a Rogue Trader who is for real the Empress of Mankind and not a heretical grifter, by the way since she's here you should give her all your money so she can go and save the Imperium from Chaos, seriously I promise.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-24 at 09:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Back from the convention! Went seven and zero and won second place best painted (only losing to a joke army of daleknecrons). Rousing success.

And I come bringing a new thread! Go! Go and post!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Back from the convention! Went seven and zero and won second place best painted (only losing to a joke army of daleknecrons). Rousing success.

And I come bringing a new thread! Go! Go and post!
    Grats on the wins! And honestly, I want pictures of yours and the dalaks.

Edit: Pic in the first IC post's broken. Gives me a screen saying it can't be displayed "because of errors".
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-27 at 10:27 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #87

Grats on the wins! And honestly, I want pictures of yours and the dalaks.

Edit: Pic in the first IC post's broken. Gives me a screen saying it can't be displayed "because of errors".
    Does this work?

My mans are here.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

That link worked for me and stressed me out instantly. @.@
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #89

That link worked for me and stressed me out instantly. @.@
    That's why they call 'em supervillains!

30. - Top - End - #90

Hey Phoe, looks like you're using this move: "When you invoke your authority over civilians, Halcyon City personnel, or A.E.G.I.S. staff, roll + Soldier. On a hit, your words carry weight. On a 7-9, someone will push back against your instructions or orders…sooner rather than later. On a miss, your attempts to control the situation create an opportunity for your enemies within A.E.G.I.S. to act against you."

The threat here is that these guys are mafia bankers and there are a lot of reasons for them to partially push back against you.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-28 at 05:37 PM.