The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Hey Phoe, looks like you're using this move: "When you invoke your authority over civilians, Halcyon City personnel, or A.E.G.I.S. staff, roll + Soldier. On a hit, your words carry weight. On a 7-9, someone will push back against your instructions or orders…sooner rather than later. On a miss, your attempts to control the situation create an opportunity for your enemies within A.E.G.I.S. to act against you."

The threat here is that these guys are mafia bankers and there are a lot of reasons for them to partially push back against you.
    Sure thing! (2d6+2)[4]

edit: oof, right out of the gate!

Funny unrelated story, a couple of months ago I was playing a sniper in a Shadowrun game over discord, and we wound up running through a hostage rescue scenario. Because we were very bad at planning, I wound up all by myself and got into a staredown with some goon who had one arm wrapped around a teenager's throat and the other pointing a terrifying large gun at my face. My character was horrifically inept at social interactions of all kinds, so rather than try and talk the hostage free she just took her shot and popped the goon's head through his scope. And this poor teen collapses to the floor, just shaking and icky as heck and there's nobody to talk her off the ledge but me.

"Ok. Ok, ok! I know this was probably really scary, but I promise if you don't repress this then in three months or so you're gonna realize how cool that just was!"
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-01-28 at 06:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, "Megatroopers" is a great word and is now the default phrase for any soldiers employed by a megacorporation.

And Balmas, it looks like you're trying to Assess the Situation.

(bonus round: now I get to figure out what Comstar's chat is like)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Sure thing! [roll0]

edit: oof, right out of the gate!
    I love finding out about conspiracies this way.

Funny unrelated story, a couple of months ago I was playing a sniper in a Shadowrun game over discord, and we wound up running through a hostage rescue scenario. Because we were very bad at planning, I wound up all by myself and got into a staredown with some goon who had one arm wrapped around a teenager's throat and the other pointing a terrifying large gun at my face. My character was horrifically inept at social interactions of all kinds, so rather than try and talk the hostage free she just took her shot and popped the goon's head through his scope. And this poor teen collapses to the floor, just shaking and icky as heck and there's nobody to talk her off the ledge but me.

"Ok. Ok, ok! I know this was probably really scary, but I promise if you don't repress this then in three months or so you're gonna realize how cool that just was!"
    That's excellent.

One of the favourite characters I've seen in a Sprawl game was a lady who was like a Disney-branded assassin who needed to make sure that she never ~damaged the magic of childhood~ as one of her corporate directives. So she carried around a tote bag full of merch to give out to traumatized bystanders in situations like that.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-28 at 08:25 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

5,5+2 is twelve! So, let's go for "What can I use here to get to Comstar," and "How could we best end this quickly?"

And if I recall correctly, this is a system where you gain xp for missed rolls instead of one for using highlighted skills, right?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    5,5+2 is twelve! So, let's go for "What can I use here to get to Comstar," and "How could we best end this quickly?"

And if I recall correctly, this is a system where you gain xp for missed rolls instead of one for using highlighted skills, right?
    Correct-o-mundo. I'll give the answers in my next IC post.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

5. - Top - End - #95

Love @Saraphim instantly.

Raz, roll me Cold and Cruel. The stakes are that this is apparently a super connected mafia banker and the official government line isn't getting through to him. He's a trivial threat so inflicting a single condition brings him down.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-28 at 11:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Cold, cruel, in it to win it (and also save lives, which is a given)

(2d6+2)[9]

Double condition, natch.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-01-28 at 11:50 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Cold, cruel, in it to win it (and also save lives, which is a given)
    These are also the lyrics to your image song, just fyi

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Minor case of plague. First post tomorrow.
    LGBTA+itP

9. - Top - End - #99

Brainstorm is using Tactical Genius to point out the obvious flaw in Comstar's plan here. I got a 9 on the roll, so let's say that @SARAHPHIM can take advantage of this, but that it makes her feel like a pawn, so mark a condition.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

10. - Top - End - #100

When you say "Combat remote," what does that look like? Are we talking quadcopter drones with underbarrel smgs, or little remote control cameras? What am I seeing?

Also, do I start with 2-gadget for the purpose of being able to pull out quick little inventions?

11. - Top - End - #101

When you say "Combat remote," what does that look like? Are we talking quadcopter drones with underbarrel smgs, or little remote control cameras? What am I seeing?
    Combat remotes

These things are a little shorter than a human, but significantly wider. They're remote controlled from a nearby signals van. There can be some nasty hardware on remotes but they're usually not a threat to a hero unless there's a pack of 3-6. They tend to get sent in as the first wave to sniff mines and blunder into booby traps so the megatroopers don't risk themselves.

A TAG for reference looks like this. About three meters tall. Always a threat.

Also, do I start with 2-gadget for the purpose of being able to pull out quick little inventions?
    For sure!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-31 at 09:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, fire. We meet again.

My dice are packed up, uh... somewhere right now and these rolls seem like they are going to entirely determine the exact flavor of my next post, so while I've got a moment let's find out how much this hurts:

Take a powerful blow: (2d6)[7]

Unleash your powers: (2d6)[2] I guess provisionally +2 if this counts as acting on my training? I'm extremely unclear on what triggers that.

edit: P O T E N T I A L
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-01-31 at 09:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Ah, fire. We meet again.

My dice are packed up, uh... somewhere right now and these rolls seem like they are going to entirely determine the exact flavor of my next post, so while I've got a moment let's find out how much this hurts:

Take a powerful blow: [roll0]

Unleash your powers: [roll1] I guess provisionally +2 if this counts as acting on my training? I'm extremely unclear on what triggers that.
    It's an 'and' statement - When you’re acting on orders and relying on your training. It's also got a cost to it - give A.E.G.I.S. influence - but it's optional, not mandatory. If someone gets influence when they already have it they get to freely shift one of your labels without giving you the chance to reject their influence. As a note, that shift triggers before the roll is resolved - and in this case AEGIS would shift your Soldier up and Danger down, which would give you a total of +3 to that roll.

I figure the trigger is, like, can you reasonably imagine a flashback to some sort of training scene in AEGIS HQ where they prepped you for something like this. Having a lesson where you had to disarm a bomb while being shot at seems totally appropriate. You don't need to type out the flashback for something obvious like this but you can if you want. If it's something that's a bit of a reach (oh yeah, AEGIS totally trained me to fight cyber ghengis khan and his motorcycle army) then I'd definitely want to hear a justification but that'd be a 'that sounds like a cool story, and I want to hear it!' kind of thing and not a 'you must type words of sufficient prettiness to use your mechanics' kind of thing.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-01-31 at 09:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, uh. So. That snake eyes seems very ominous. Should I even have @SARAHPHIM act before the bomb goes off / fails to go off / sprinkles confetti everywhere / releases a debilitating sonic wave that leaves our heroes helpless and easily carried off / starts playing the “Sarahphim WIPES OUT!!!!” video on all the smart screens on the walls?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

It's an 'and' statement - When you’re acting on orders and relying on your training. It's also got a cost to it - give A.E.G.I.S. influence - but it's optional, not mandatory. If someone gets influence when they already have it they get to freely shift one of your labels without giving you the chance to reject their influence. As a note, that shift triggers before the roll is resolved - and in this case AEGIS would shift your Soldier up and Danger down, which would give you a total of +3 to that roll.

I figure the trigger is, like, can you reasonably imagine a flashback to some sort of training scene in AEGIS HQ where they prepped you for something like this. Having a lesson where you had to disarm a bomb while being shot at seems totally appropriate. You don't need to type out the flashback for something obvious like this but you can if you want. If it's something that's a bit of a reach (oh yeah, AEGIS totally trained me to fight cyber ghengis khan and his motorcycle army) then I'd definitely want to hear a justification but that'd be a 'that sounds like a cool story, and I want to hear it!' kind of thing and not a 'you must type words of sufficient prettiness to use your mechanics' kind of thing.
    I'm pretty sure that training to fight cyber ghengis khan and his motercycle army is training for the inevitable fight with DOCTOR SILVANIUS THE MARTIAN KING, TREMBLE AT HIS NAME when he invades.

Also, take a powerful blow! (2d6)[10]

Well crud.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-31 at 10:56 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #106

Okay, uh. So. That snake eyes seems very ominous. Should I even have @SARAHPHIM act before the bomb goes off / fails to go off / sprinkles confetti everywhere / releases a debilitating sonic wave that leaves our heroes helpless and easily carried off / starts playing the “Sarahphim WIPES OUT!!!!” video on all the smart screens on the walls?
    Yeah, you've got a chance to act - in fact, this is exactly the sort of moment the Defend move is made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I'm pretty sure that training to fight cyber ghengis khan and his motercycle army is training for the inevitable fight with DOCTOR SILVANIUS THE MARTIAN KING, TREMBLE AT HIS NAME when he invades.

Also, take a powerful blow! [roll0]

Well crud.
    You guys are knocking it outta the park with these dice rolls.

Guess it's time to regenerate!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Guess it's time to regenerate!
    Hm. On one hand, it's early for it, on the other, why not!
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #108

Alright, that's one Unleash Your Powers to make a technical doodad, and possibly one more depending on whether climbing up a wall under a time limit and without being seen by mercs is also intense enough to justify a roll.

Always Prepared: 1,2,+1. [4]. TIme for potential, and possibly pain!

I'll roll for the second one if you rule it's needed.

19. - Top - End - #109

Alright, that's one Unleash Your Powers to make a technical doodad, and possibly one more depending on whether climbing up a wall under a time limit and without being seen by mercs is also intense enough to justify a roll.

Always Prepared: 1,2,+1. [4]. TIme for potential, and possibly pain!

I'll roll for the second one if you rule it's needed.
    All one roll, I'll take this as the process of you trying to infiltrate the incoming megagoons.

Also you guys are the best at rolling dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz Fox
    [ANGER cleared, hostages protected, exposed to danger. Rolled a 6 - but Brainstorm’s advice bumps that up to 7. Granted, the link between advice and action is tenuous, but throw me a bone here.]
    I'll give this to you, Raz, on the grounds that you're not stopping the bomb from going off - you're just shielding people from its effects. You're the only one who's gonna have to eat consequences from that going off, but the fact that it is going off will provide a visual distraction to Comstar which lets you apply the +1. Sound good?

Do note that the alternate resource you have to spend in this situation is Team - which we actually haven't done or talked about yet, but given how disasterous ya'll are rolling I should bring up.

When you enter battle against a dangerous foe as a team, add two to the Team pool.
    • If the leader has Influence over every teammate, add another Team.
    • If everyone has the same purpose in the fight, add another Team.
    • If any team member mistrusts the leader or the team, remove a Team.
    • If your team is ill-prepared or off- balance, remove a Team.

The leader of the team can mark a condition to avoid removing a Team from the pool.
    Anyone working with the team can spend Team one for one to help a teammate; give them +1 to their roll.

Team members can also spend Team to act selfishly. When you act selfishly, say how your actions ignore or insult your teammates, remove one Team from the pool, and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice. You can use this option after rolling to alter the Label you’re rolling with.

It's up to you guys to negotiate that - figure out who the leader is, then raise your hand if you've got a different purpose in the fight, etc. Only one person needs to object to one of those statements to make it not true.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-01 at 12:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, absolutely. Errant is on fire, therefore the bomb is going to go off. The bomb is going to go off, therefore, the people connected to it are in danger. They would not be in danger if they could leave, therefore, do what you can. Thus speaks @SARAHPHIM’s Savior +1 flowchart.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Yes, absolutely. Errant is on fire, therefore the bomb is going to go off. The bomb is going to go off, therefore, the people connected to it are in danger. They would not be in danger if they could leave, therefore, do what you can. Thus speaks @SARAHPHIM’s Savior +1 flowchart.
    *Strikes gong, bows*

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, you remember the time I won Dark Age by 10+ing every roll I ever had to make? I think the bill finally came due.

As far as Team goes I think we're probably sitting at 1 total no matter who our leader is, but I don't see a way to selfishly invoke it without cutting across all the stuff I just wrote, so I guess I'll just fail and it's the thought that counts.

I'm going to get an advance before I get out of this room at this rate
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-02-01 at 01:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Hey Eldest, it's been 4 days/a billion years, what's haps?

Man, you remember the time I won Dark Age by 10+ing every roll I ever had to make? I think the bill finally came due.
    I remember having to literally break the rules to get a fight to go longer than one round.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-03 at 03:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Eldest, it's been 4 days/a billion years, what's haps?
    Plague round a billion. The household has had a rotating "one person is healthy, three people are down and out" since Christmas, it's been pretty sucky. I think we're getting there. Will post today, apologies.
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Poor Comstar. All those good lines, and one of her captives is traumatized and cracking jokes, while the other blows herself up tae hell just to prove a point and threatens her with grievous bodily harm.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-02-03 at 07:03 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Poor Comstar. All those good lines, and one of her captives is traumatized and cracking jokes, while the other blows herself up tae hell just to prove a point and threatens her with grievous bodily harm.
    Interrupting a villainous monologue, rude.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Interrupting a villainous monologue, rude.
    So now I'm obligated to ask whether or not this micro exchange counts as "closely observing my opponent" before a fight

28. - Top - End - #118

So now I'm obligated to ask whether or not this micro exchange counts as "closely observing my opponent" before a fight
    Totes for sure! There's zero time pressure in the leadup to Sarahphim breaking out, and in the process of her breaking out you'll get to see Comstar react to a crisis situation.

E: Plus if your luck holds up this scene gets really easy for me to write.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-03 at 08:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Totes for sure! There's zero time pressure in the leadup to Sarahphim breaking out, and in the process of her breaking out you'll get to see Comstar react to a crisis situation.

E: Plus if your luck holds up this scene gets really easy for me to write.
    Cool, let's see how badly I manage to screw this up!

(2d6+2)[9]

edit: is it weird that I'm disappointed?
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-02-03 at 08:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

A quick PSA about villains in this system:

Villains have Conditions just like heroes, and they are defeated not through punching but through the infliction of Conditions. Punching is certainly a way to inflict Conditions, but not the only way and not perfectly reliable depending on the villain, the Condition and the punch - this is entirely at my discretion. If you've got Influence over a villain you can spend it to auto-inflict a Condition - and Influence is granted automatically the second they start to care about your opinion. Also, if narrative circumstances put a villain in an intense emotional state then they get that Condition automatically. Villains are only defeated when they're filled up on Conditions.

As a little note on this topic, getting inside a villain's head is a rock-solid way to take them out in this system. I've seen a hero talk a villain into submission while being lowered into a vat of acid.

As a side-effect, whenever a villain suffers a condition they immediately get a free hand to make a retaliation action just like if someone missed a move. This means that even if you're hitting all your rolls in a fight a villain can still repeatedly escalate the situation or make a quick getaway.

EDIT:

On an unrelated note: No combination of bonuses can give you more than +4 to a roll.

Cool, let's see how badly I manage to screw this up!

[roll0]

edit: is it weird that I'm disappointed?
    I did kind of want to see the Errant vs. Sarahphim kung fu movie fight in the back of a moving police signals van. Maybe there's still time, we'll see how this plays out.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-03 at 10:49 PM.