The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Guess whose power died?

If you guessed mine, you'd be right!

So I'm currently at the college next to my apartment, charging all my electric stuff and mooching their wifi and heat. Not really in the headspace for a post, will try to asap but kind of focused on the power thing.
    Oof, that sucks. Stay warm, and I hope they can restore power for you soon

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh no! In winter that's especially sucky.

If you could get in a post really quick it would be super helpful for me, though
    Threw something up, not what I'd like to have spent on the moment, but real life took hold all of a sudden. Headed back to the apartment, cheers.
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Threw something up, not what I'd like to have spent on the moment, but real life took hold all of a sudden. Headed back to the apartment, cheers.
    Appreciate it!

Also this scene is kind of what I was thinking of when I said 'physics work like a Mortal Kombat stage'.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Since I'm not protecting myself, feel free to let me know if I'm taking a Condition here, or if I need to roll to take a powerful blow.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Since I'm not protecting myself, feel free to let me know if I'm taking a Condition here, or if I need to roll to take a powerful blow.
    In general, if you don't opt to defend yourself when directly engaging also roll to take a powerful blow as a matter of course.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

In general, if you don't opt to defend yourself when directly engaging also roll to take a powerful blow as a matter of course.
    I'll keep that in mind for the future. The rule book made it sound like it was a thing that might happen but wouldn't, necessarily.

(2d6)[7]

edit: not really sure which 'bad thing' option to select. I'll have to think about it
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2019-02-11 at 04:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

I'll keep that in mind for the future. The rule book made it sound like it was a thing that might happen but wouldn't, necessarily.
    There are different categories of threats... like, if this was just some guy with a gun, Errant's power set might just make her immune to that, but a no-powered Beacon might regard that as a life-or-death challenge. Other things can shield people from having to trade blows. I err towards rolling it as a usual case but I am conscious of situations where the power mismatch will go the players' way and there'll be no counterdamage.

[roll0]

edit: not really sure which 'bad thing' option to select. I'll have to think about it
    No worries.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-11 at 04:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

There are different categories of threats... like, if this was just some guy with a gun, Errant's power set might just make her immune to that, but a no-powered Beacon might regard that as a life-or-death challenge. Other things can shield people from having to trade blows. I err towards rolling it as a usual case but I am conscious of situations where the power mismatch will go the players' way and there'll be no counterdamage.
    Makes total sense. I'm fully prepared to believe a kitted out supervillain with lots of death drones is capable of inflicting a powerful blow in the middle of having the tar beat out of her, I just thought she had the option to choose to inflict a condition instead. I'm remarkably slow to pick up on the nuances of these systems sometimes, but we'll get there.

And, uh, given what just happened with Raz's dice, I think the most fun option I can toss into the scene is to give ground. I'm sure it's hard to stay totally focused when your best friend is snapping at you while you're trying to maintain an offensively dominant but unfortunately suggestive position over someone while in a van seconds away from crashing into a vault door. Right?

9. - Top - End - #159

Makes total sense. I'm fully prepared to believe a kitted out supervillain with lots of death drones is capable of inflicting a powerful blow in the middle of having the tar beat out of her, I just thought she had the option to choose to inflict a condition instead. I'm remarkably slow to pick up on the nuances of these systems sometimes, but we'll get there.
    It might be so, I don't have a perfect memory for all this stuff myself. I'll take a look at the rulebook when I get home tonight

And, uh, given what just happened with Raz's dice, I think the most fun option I can toss into the scene is to give ground. I'm sure it's hard to stay totally focused when your best friend is snapping at you while you're trying to maintain an offensively dominant but unfortunately suggestive position over someone while in a van seconds away from crashing into a vault door. Right?
    You're right - properly establishing dominance can't be rushed.

10. - Top - End - #160

Opting to post ahead on the grounds that Eldest is under an enormous pile of snow. I'll just be making small talk between Brainstorm and Prometheus until Ferra interrupts, though.

Eldest, feel free to interrupt the dialogue at any point when you're warm and electrified, no pressure either way

11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground

Opting to post ahead on the grounds that Eldest is under an enormous pile of snow. I'll just be making small talk between Brainstorm and Prometheus until Ferra interrupts, though.

Eldest, feel free to interrupt the dialogue at any point when you're warm and electrified, no pressure either way
    You are a cruel and capricious god, and I love you for it.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

I know scenery and spacing in these games gets pretty mutable but please help my pea brain get a handle on things. Did Maria just drag @Sarahphim out of the scene, or did she shove herself into it?

Also, this is by a wide margin the least good I have ever felt about (technically) winning a fight. This is an interesting system, I'm looking forward to unpacking a lot of reactions after this bank heist/worst day ever comes to a close.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    You are a cruel and capricious god, and I love you for it.
    :)

I know scenery and spacing in these games gets pretty mutable but please help my pea brain get a handle on things. Did Maria just drag @Sarahphim out of the scene, or did she shove herself into it?
    Into it.

You are in a moving van. The moving van hit Maria. She was clinging onto the front, not run over. She then climbed herself up onto the hood, crashed through the front windscreen, and slammed @Sarahphim around. Errant is in the back of the van with Comstar.

Also, this is by a wide margin the least good I have ever felt about (technically) winning a fight. This is an interesting system, I'm looking forward to unpacking a lot of reactions after this bank heist/worst day ever comes to a close.
    Are you saying that you're not having fun with that result, or that you're feeling an enjoyably tangled emotional reaction to the outcome? There's a big difference between the two and I really need to know which it is.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-12 at 06:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

You are in a moving van. The moving van hit Maria. She was clinging onto the front, not run over. She then climbed herself up onto the hood, crashed through the front windscreen, and slammed @Sarahphim around. Errant is in the back of the van with Comstar.
    And the front and the back are now, with the near total destruction of Comstar's Wall O' Computers, completely within line of sight of each other? Does this thing even have a driver's seat, or did she rig it to be completely hands free?

Are you saying that you're not having fun with that result, or that you're feeling an enjoyably tangled emotional reaction to the outcome? There's a big difference between the two and I really need to know which it is.
    It's the latter. Errant went hard because she thinks this situation got unacceptably dangerous real fast, and she thought shutting down Comstar was the quicker path to stopping the van than going for the controls. Pretty much immediately, Sarahphim made her feel like that was a mistake and she, Leader, got too wrapped up in the stage play and failed (again) to delegate correctly. On top of that, Comstar folded like a cheap umbrella and now instead of having a moment to feel like a conquering hero, Errant feels like a bully for bringing superpowers to a normal people fight. She was expecting tricks and defiance and she got total capitulation (which might actually be a trick, but she's too earnest to consider that), and it's like... ah, jeez. Ok. That's scary.

That's the moment when the Amazonian super-version of Errant started pointing a gun at one of the people Errant cares most about in the world and talking about prisoner exchanges. Only, like, isn't handing Comstar over to BlackSun basically a death sentence? Which makes it Errant's job to protect her. But she's supposed to risk her friend for the sake of the person who set her on fire? There's a ton in there, before we even get to the fact that she's been useless to Ferra and Brainstorm. She's going to have a fit when she learns what happened to them while she was busy hamming it up for a bunch of cameras.

As a player I think all of this is really fun. I'm feeling the limitations of the moves and my sense of things is very much that of an overwhelmed kid trying to navigate situations too awful for adults to handle. Which is cool! Just unexpectedly potent, since I'm used to feeling a lot more cynical about how I approach game mechanics and I've had that slowly fall away from me as I've gotten farther away from an image of myself I used to try and hold onto for some other peoples' sake. So it seemed worth commenting on. Sorry for worrying you: if I get stressed or burned out by what's going on I promise I'll tell you much more directly.

15. - Top - End - #165

And the front and the back are now, with the near total destruction of Comstar's Wall O' Computers, completely within line of sight of each other? Does this thing even have a driver's seat, or did she rig it to be completely hands free?
    Completely within line of sight. This thing has a drivers seat - basically this van is the BlackSun support van that was running the Megagoons' combat remotes, which Comstar took over in advance. Think one of those FBI listening vans basically. There's room to stand up and fight but it's going to be very Hong Kong Action Movie Alley Fight all the way.

It's the latter. Errant went hard because she thinks this situation got unacceptably dangerous real fast, and she thought shutting down Comstar was the quicker path to stopping the van than going for the controls. Pretty much immediately, Sarahphim made her feel like that was a mistake and she, Leader, got too wrapped up in the stage play and failed (again) to delegate correctly. On top of that, Comstar folded like a cheap umbrella and now instead of having a moment to feel like a conquering hero, Errant feels like a bully for bringing superpowers to a normal people fight. She was expecting tricks and defiance and she got total capitulation (which might actually be a trick, but she's too earnest to consider that), and it's like... ah, jeez. Ok. That's scary.

That's the moment when the Amazonian super-version of Errant started pointing a gun at one of the people Errant cares most about in the world and talking about prisoner exchanges. Only, like, isn't handing Comstar over to BlackSun basically a death sentence? Which makes it Errant's job to protect her. But she's supposed to risk her friend for the sake of the person who set her on fire? There's a ton in there, before we even get to the fact that she's been useless to Ferra and Brainstorm. She's going to have a fit when she learns what happened to them while she was busy hamming it up for a bunch of cameras.
    Fantastic. Big relief, that's all in line with stuff I wanted to transmit. I'm definitely trying to keep the line of theming in between 'Being a superhero is cool, fun, and creatively fulfilling' and 'Being a superhero is insanely stressful and dangerous'. Errant sounds like she's right in the middle of that tangle and that's exactly what I'm aiming for.

Other team members are having a rougher day, it's currently a priority to give them a chance to cut loose a bit.

As a player I think all of this is really fun. I'm feeling the limitations of the moves and my sense of things is very much that of an overwhelmed kid trying to navigate situations too awful for adults to handle. Which is cool! Just unexpectedly potent, since I'm used to feeling a lot more cynical about how I approach game mechanics and I've had that slowly fall away from me as I've gotten farther away from an image of myself I used to try and hold onto for some other peoples' sake. So it seemed worth commenting on. Sorry for worrying you: if I get stressed or burned out by what's going on I promise I'll tell you much more directly.
    Radical. Feeling the limitations of the moves is a great point, the game is really trying to make a statement with that and it's really good you're feeling it.

From my end of the table, the thing that I'm relishing the most is the Capture Someone move. It's shaping up to be my default move in response to everything because it serves the amazing triple purpose of raising the stakes, changing the scene and giving the villain a chance to talk.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

With good fortune, the internet and power are on and staying on now. However, we've had it on and off roughly 5 times, and flickered ~4 more times, so no promises. Thanqol, tell me if you want a roll, or if it just makes sense for Ferra to be able to reset cybernetics without needing to flex her powers?
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #167

With good fortune, the internet and power are on and staying on now. However, we've had it on and off roughly 5 times, and flickered ~4 more times, so no promises. Thanqol, tell me if you want a roll, or if it just makes sense for Ferra to be able to reset cybernetics without needing to flex her powers?
    Your post in the IC was a little unclear, you are going to help Brainstorm?

There will be some kind of roll here because that's very serious damage Victor took. Your current powers are totally unsuited to deal with it so you'll need to use A Mind Of Their Own. Alternately you could roll Assess and ask 'what could I use to fix those cybernetics' which is the indirect route to problem solving.

FYI powers gained through AMOTO stay around for the entire scene, not just the one roll, so you can build 'em up as a fight goes on.

18. - Top - End - #168

High-stakes shipping-related demand, as requested.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Your post in the IC was a little unclear, you are going to help Brainstorm?

There will be some kind of roll here because that's very serious damage Victor took. Your current powers are totally unsuited to deal with it so you'll need to use A Mind Of Their Own. Alternately you could roll Assess and ask 'what could I use to fix those cybernetics' which is the indirect route to problem solving.

FYI powers gained through AMOTO stay around for the entire scene, not just the one roll, so you can build 'em up as a fight goes on.
    Yes, the intent was helping Brainstorm! Apologies, that was literally a post I dashed together because the lights flickered (again) as I was writing. I am going to tank a bit over Ferra's angle here, I'm picturing her as internally reeling a bit because of the recent death and changes following. I figure her Directives are telling her to go for the nanoscrambler directly by brawling and her compassion does not want to leave Brainstorm helpless and alone, I'm just trying to figure out which way she leans right now.
    LGBTA+itP

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

High-stakes shipping-related demand, as requested.
    I am hyped af for the next couple of posts. God I hope I hit this scene well. Raz, do you want to fly with me, or do you have something specific in mind?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

I am hyped af for the next couple of posts. God I hope I hit this scene well. Raz, do you want to fly with me, or do you have something specific in mind?
    Babe, I will fly with you right into this hermetically sealed bank vault, lead the way and donít look back.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Babe, I will fly with you right into this hermetically sealed bank vault, lead the way and donít look back.
    <3 <3 <3 <3

23. - Top - End - #173

<3 <3 <3 <3
    extremely same
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-13 at 08:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Euna: okay, Sara, I have a plan, you need to trust me, you know I would never do this but thereís a gun pointed at your back and I need to get you to safety more than anything-
    Sara: TELL 👏🏽 ME 👏🏽 IíM 👏🏽 PRETTIER 👏🏽 THAN 👏🏽 COMSTAR
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

25. - Top - End - #175

Euna: okay, Sara, I have a plan, you need to trust me, you know I would never do this but thereís a gun pointed at your back and I need to get you to safety more than anything-
    Hey, Raz, did you know that you can clear conditions by being a stupid selfish teenager and putting your dumb insecure emotions ahead of saving the day? Because you can!

This certainly counts for: "To clear Insecure, take foolhardy action without talking to your team."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-14 at 04:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, Raz, did you know that you can clear conditions by being a stupid selfish teenager and putting your dumb insecure emotions ahead of saving the day? Because you can!

This certainly counts for: "To clear Insecure, take foolhardy action without talking to your team."
    I did, but I wasn't looking for an Insecure clear there, literally just wrote the post and went "so... what move am I doing here?" Still, I will take that with both hands thank you kindly
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177

I did, but I wasn't looking for an Insecure clear there, literally just wrote the post and went "so... what move am I doing here?" Still, I will take that with both hands thank you kindly
    In this system, sufficiently awful teenagerism is indistinguishable from invincibility.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Will post tonight!
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

I deeply appreciate that even in @Saraphim's most caustic imaginings of Errant's thoroughly dweebish existence, her vision of a first kiss is still probably racier than Errant would tell you is appropriate.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Apologies for the delay, was working on catching back up on real-life stuff that was screwed because of the power outage, and also trying to think through how Ferra would approach this, which I think is going to come down to the fact that she's feeling Insecure and Angry right now! So, pick a fight to prove that she's still got it. Luckily, there's a smiley-faced megatrooper that's got Ferra on edge and probably has a nanopulser right there. Let's see about getting it.

Following a directive, shifting danger up and superior down
    Directly engage: (2d6+2)[9]

Edit: Gonna throw this out, a Team spend to bump that to a 10 would be awesome.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-02-16 at 03:25 AM.
    LGBTA+itP