The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Masks OOC] Resurrection Roundabout

The basics, then, would be: “You are given vague and difficult tasks to complete. Completing them will cause you to, at best, be given more responsibility, and at worst ensnare you in debts and danger. You will likely stumble upon Evil Plots.”

(My other option is running something in the Legacy: Life Among the Ruins family, most like. Or something more traditionally fantasy. If only Free From The Yoke was available for folk who didn’t back the Kickstarter.)
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Dogs in the Vineyard and Apocalypse World to read, gotcha.
    Dogs in particular has some of the best advice ever when it comes to building towns (everyone should read that chapter), and the GMing chapter is fantastic. A lot of it is more streamlined and developed in Apocalypse World, but the writing style in AW is much more direct 'you should X. Never do y' while Dogs he's sitting across the table from you telling you the stuff he thinks is really important in a conversational manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    The basics, then, would be: “You are given vague and difficult tasks to complete. Completing them will cause you to, at best, be given more responsibility, and at worst ensnare you in debts and danger. You will likely stumble upon Evil Plots.”
    That sounds very strongly like Blades in the Dark to me. You're describing being at the bottom rung of a criminal organization and that's what Blades is about. The setting for Blades is even highly compatible with this.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    That sounds very strongly like Blades in the Dark to me. You're describing being at the bottom rung of a criminal organization and that's what Blades is about. The setting for Blades is even highly compatible with this.
    I’ll look over Blades, then, though I will very likely overhaul a lot of it, tonally, if I do that.

Or I might run Free From The Yoke as it currently stands, toss players the rules. Back when I looked over the early drafts, I couldn’t help but imagine running an Egypt that never was, having shed the Roman boot, but the thought of “gnolls and goblins and nasty folk having overthrown the Elfin boot” is fun, too.

(For those not in the know, Free From The Yoke is a PBTA game based off Legacy in which players portray organizations and peoples in a society that has just forced the Empire out of their land, trying to figure out what to do with their freedom and how to rebuild. By default, it’s set somewhere in a fantastic version of Western Russia.)
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

4. - Top - End - #214

I’ll look over Blades, then, though I will very likely overhaul a lot of it, tonally, if I do that.
    You might be surprised - the default setting is basically the setting to Dishonoured / Sunless Sea, which isn't a far throw from your vision of a twisted and divine London.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-20 at 11:23 PM.
    Soldiers, no poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by being all that he can be. Damn the torpedoes, or give us death. Eternal vigilance is the price of duty and to the victors go the spoils. So remember: you are the best of the few and the proud. So ask not what our country can do, only regret that we have but one life to live.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

I plan to pick up The Gossip Mags here; I’ll also signpost and say that for out-of-playbook moves, I’ve got my eye on the Delinquent.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

I'm sorry guys, with your dice being the way they are, I'm not sure I can stop Comstar from turning you all into pretty dress mannequins and taking over the world.

This might be a short game

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry guys, with your dice being the way they are, I'm not sure I can stop Comstar from turning you all into pretty dress mannequins and taking over the world.

Ferra: "I'd like a pretty dress."
    Ferra: ...
    Ferra: "Why do I want a dress."
    LGBTA+itP

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

At least I'll die doing what I loved

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

UPDATE: Blades in the Dark looks like a dream, particularly because it lets me focus the pitch on “sorcerers, critters, and really gutsy mortals.” I am scribbling down page on page of notes, so watch this space.

At least I'll die doing what I loved
    “Pretty princess dressup” is Sara’s worst nightmare, and it is for this reason that I, the player, must volunteer to have it happen to me instead, it’s the right thing to do
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

My concluding point is that GMing is a craft, and you can develop skill at it just like you would with any other. I think the skills it teaches are some of the most fascinating and subtle aspects of writing - tension, pacing, scene transitions, energy levels, the ability to read the overall health of a story. Stuff that you really have to go digging to identify good use cases of. And I'd be delighted to get really deep into the nuts and bolts of it if you've got a desire to learn - I just tend to, as I mentioned previously, not volunteer my thoughts a lot of the time out of vague insecurity. Don't look at having me around as being a 'I-can't-GM-as-well-as-Thanqol' situation, look at it as a 'Thanqol is an unguarded barn full of valuable experience that you can loot and drag back to your longships' situation.
    You know what? I'll rob that barn: Can you talk about how you make hard moves? Ones with real punch, consequences, absolute scene - and something game - changers, how do you go about doing that?

I feel like this is something I have no trouble with when I'm telling a story, and I feel like I could pull it off in a video game too. I know where the story is going, I know what about the status quo is currently untenable, and man oh man, wouldn't it be just perfect if such-and-such came along? I can write tasty drama all the live long day, but when it comes to tabletop games? Improv, collaborative works? I find it a lot harder to pull off, in part because I don't have the time to think, I don't know where the story's going, etc. I feel like I've only really done it once or twice, and I'm honestly not sure how I did it at the time.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

11. - Top - End - #221

You guys have no idea how much I had to resist the temptation of Victor going into the chat and spreading rumors about how he's heard that Brainstorm has an eight-pack, Brainstorm is shredded.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    You know what? I'll rob that barn: Can you talk about how you make hard moves? Ones with real punch, consequences, absolute scene - and something game - changers, how do you go about doing that?

I feel like this is something I have no trouble with when I'm telling a story, and I feel like I could pull it off in a video game too. I know where the story is going, I know what about the status quo is currently untenable, and man oh man, wouldn't it be just perfect if such-and-such came along? I can write tasty drama all the live long day, but when it comes to tabletop games? Improv, collaborative works? I find it a lot harder to pull off, in part because I don't have the time to think, I don't know where the story's going, etc. I feel like I've only really done it once or twice, and I'm honestly not sure how I did it at the time.
    *polite wave*

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    You guys have no idea how much I had to resist the temptation of Victor going into the chat and spreading rumors about how he's heard that Brainstorm has an eight-pack, Brainstorm is shredded.
    There's still time, you know.

13. - Top - End - #223

Hmm. Can I spot whether Comstar is using lasers like @Sarahphim would? If so, I bet Brainstorm could thread the needle through Sarahphim's defenses.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

14. - Top - End - #224

UPDATE: Blades in the Dark looks like a dream, particularly because it lets me focus the pitch on “sorcerers, critters, and really gutsy mortals.” I am scribbling down page on page of notes, so watch this space.
    You know, I don't really get tired of always being right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

So the question here seems to be 'how do make an extremely decisive decision on the fly' - there are related topics here like, how do I be cruel, and how do I make a really hard scene transition, but the latter part of the question implies that the problem is doing it while in motion.

The main way to do it is with setup and foreshadowing. It can be extremely retroactive foreshadowing if necessary, but think that there's a reason why the basic hard move in all these Apocalypse World knockoffs is 'announce future badness'. The more you do that the more when that future badness arrives everyone's primed for it, everyone's tense for it. When everyone's tense then the resolution - good or bad - is cathartic. If I spend my entire character's backstory talking up how she always loses in fights to this one badass, and memories of those fights constantly shape her thoughts of all current fights, then every time I reference that I'm ramping up the tension. Then when the showdown comes it can be so unbearably tense that you can't help but be decisive.

This requires a certain amount of big picture thinking, and the really great examples of it don't happen without enthusiastic player buy-in. Really, for the really dramatic hard moves on the improv level you're probably not doing it yourself as a MC, you're probably just following the player's lead. Raz is currently doing exactly this in Changeling where he's setting up for the Pilgrim to be killed by Mercia, so when that confrontation eventually happens it's going to be incredibly high stakes and any move at that point which isn't incredibly bloody would feel weak and fake.

There's a lot a MC can do to create ongoing rises and falls of tension, but their strongest moves are always going to be following through on the character arcs of the player characters.

Hmm. Can I spot whether Comstar is using lasers like @Sarahphim would? If so, I bet Brainstorm could thread the needle through Sarahphim's defenses.
    Yes, Unleash your Powers. Remember the Assess +1 if you're running for the van.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-21 at 09:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

6,5, +2. 13. Baller. I am a luck vampire siphoning away the good rolls for myself.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Take a powerful blow time!
    (2d6+2)[13]

Edit: gentle sobbing in the background
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-02-21 at 09:56 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #227

6,5, +2. 13. Baller. I am a luck vampire siphoning away the good rolls for myself.
    Speaking of...

Take a powerful blow time!
    [roll0]

Edit: gentle sobbing in the background
    Goodbye, Ferra 2.0. We knew thee well.

EDIT: I was worried when I titled this game Resurrection Roundabout that it wasn't really going to fit with the setting, but I am happily proved wrong.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-21 at 10:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Goodbye, Ferra 2.0. We knew thee well.

EDIT: I was worried when I titled this game Resurrection Roundabout that it wasn't really going to fit with the setting, but I am happily proved wrong.
    I'm bouncing between regenerating again, breaking something everything with altering the rules of physics, and Prometheus getting control... regening is the easiest obviously, but I want her to settle into this first? Thinking about it.
    LGBTA+itP

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

So to make sure I'm clear on the scene, the current tally is as follows -

Brainstorm: Being shot at. God King of danmaku
    Ferra: Exploding violently
    @Sarahphim: Is a gun. Pew pew!
    Errant: *exists*

Is this correct?

20. - Top - End - #230

I'm bouncing between regenerating again, breaking something everything with altering the rules of physics, and Prometheus getting control... regening is the easiest obviously, but I want her to settle into this first? Thinking about it.
    I've got no strong preference or advice here

Depends what you want out of Regeneration as a move, to have it be something that happens constantly or something that happens rarely.

So to make sure I'm clear on the scene, the current tally is as follows -

Brainstorm: Being shot at. God King of danmaku
    Ferra: Exploding violently
    @Sarahphim: Is a gun. Pew pew!
    Errant: *exists*

Is this correct?
    Correct.

21. - Top - End - #231

Remind me what conditions Comstar is currently sufffering under? Because what I'm thinking is that while Brainstorm runs to the van, he makes fun of Comstar--something along the lines of how even when she's got @Sarahphim at her beck and call, Comstar isn't clever enough to think of her own patterns, has to reuse an old pattern that any stream viewer already knows...

And, hey, it's obviously Comstar making the pattern and not Brainstorm casually insulting @SARAHPHIM's talent for adapting an old pattern into a new one on the fly.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

My main problem with regenerating so often is I want to keep the lessons in place for the moment, until she rejects them actively? And erasing them sorta wipes out some progress there. Which dramatically cuts down on my options there. Mostly just thinking out loud, so to speak.
    LGBTA+itP

23. - Top - End - #233

Remind me what conditions Comstar is currently sufffering under?
    Insecure and Hopeless.

Because what I'm thinking is that while Brainstorm runs to the van, he makes fun of Comstar--something along the lines of how even when she's got @Sarahphim at her beck and call, Comstar isn't clever enough to think of her own patterns, has to reuse an old pattern that any stream viewer already knows...

And, hey, it's obviously Comstar making the pattern and not Brainstorm casually insulting @SARAHPHIM's talent for adapting an old pattern into a new one on the fly.
    The remaining conditions (maybe not all apply you don't know) are guilty, angry and afraid.

Also to get that particular move to work you need to have Influence over Comstar (like Errant has). If you've got Influence over someone then you can spend that influence to say something really personal to them (can be mean, can be really cuttingly insightful) that they can't brush off and ignore. One way to get influence is to Provoke them, but that's their decision. Another is to Pierce the Mask through conversation and ask 'how could I get influence over you?'

It's eminently possible to be an effective hero by getting captured, taking the time to listen to the monologue, ask a few meaningful questions, and then tear them apart verbally. The Beacon is kind of designed to do just that.

E: I think I overthought this, I think the answer is 'that sounds like a Provoke roll'

My main problem with regenerating so often is I want to keep the lessons in place for the moment, until she rejects them actively? And erasing them sorta wipes out some progress there. Which dramatically cuts down on my options there. Mostly just thinking out loud, so to speak.
    You could alternately view the lessons as constantly mutable - like, adopting them the first time you hear someone say anything and then losing them just as quickly. Your character doesn't go through a complete memory reset so she can still learn and grow, it's just that lessons are something she tries on like a teenager tries on identities.

That's one way to do it. If you want to treat them more seriously you could regen but keep the lessons and vary other stuff. I kind of know how I would play it but I don't know what your intentions are yet.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-22 at 12:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

fyi I've got a friend coming to visit over the weekend so my attention to this site is likely to drop to zero until Monday. I realize the weekend tends to be a slower posting time for most people anyway, but I've been so weirdly (for me) quick to respond in this game I thought the heads up would be a good idea.

My immediate instinct in the scene is to try talking at Comstar to get her to back down a bit, but I do feel like I've been more than a little tonally inconsistent to this point and I can't really figure out how much narrative weight to give my conditions besides. They seem pretty mercurial and that's not a great path to a strong character voice for me, but writing my way around them feels wrong. If I have a frustration with myself in the game so far, it's definitely the concern that I'm approaching the story too much from the perspective of a gamer solving game state problems instead of playing my character with absolute integrity, but then I'm also still coming to grips with what her arc looks like. Does she even have one? This might not be her story in the first place. I dunno, I've got like half a glass of wine in me and I live at altitude. If anyone has perspective they wanna offer I'm down but if I'm just being weird that's not surprising.

25. - Top - End - #235

fyi I've got a friend coming to visit over the weekend so my attention to this site is likely to drop to zero until Monday. I realize the weekend tends to be a slower posting time for most people anyway, but I've been so weirdly (for me) quick to respond in this game I thought the heads up would be a good idea.
    Thanks for the heads up - I've been really loving the pace this game is moving at in general.

My immediate instinct in the scene is to try talking at Comstar to get her to back down a bit, but I do feel like I've been more than a little tonally inconsistent to this point and I can't really figure out how much narrative weight to give my conditions besides. They seem pretty mercurial and that's not a great path to a strong character voice for me, but writing my way around them feels wrong.
    I experienced a similar thing. The answer that worked for me is to not focus on them in the character's ordinary posting, but let them all erupt suddenly when I'm looking to clear one through action. So I think of Angry as less 'my character is in a perpetually angry state' and more as 'at some point my character is going to snap and break something in frustration', and then just keep an eye out for that opportunity.

If I have a frustration with myself in the game so far, it's definitely the concern that I'm approaching the story too much from the perspective of a gamer solving game state problems instead of playing my character with absolute integrity, but then I'm also still coming to grips with what her arc looks like. Does she even have one? This might not be her story in the first place. I dunno, I've got like half a glass of wine in me and I live at altitude. If anyone has perspective they wanna offer I'm down but if I'm just being weird that's not surprising.
    Honestly the entire first session is just the extension of character generation. I don't know how any of this stuff is going to really fit together until I see it in motion and am able to start deriving patterns. Errant in particular I'm not going to really figure out until AEGIS figures get involved and I see her dynamic with them.

Right now we've established that she's constantly on-mission, easily frustrated, is secretly an enormous dork, and is very divisive in online shipping. She's a bit Gulliman-y in that she's not the most powerful or smartest team member, but she's the only one with a little bit of perspective so she can constantly see the big picture and realize when people are being dumb. We've established that @Sarahphim can tunnel-vision into out-competing a bank robber but Errant always kind of knows what she's doing and why she's doing it.

If that kind of outcome is the consequence of trying to actually solve the problems you're presented with rather than be a drama llama, that's fine and great because everyone else is some variety of drama llama and that makes Errant interesting by comparison. I don't know what her arc is yet but I don't think I know what anyone's is, and I won't for 3-4 more pages.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-02-22 at 02:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

I am having too much fun imagining an out-of-control @SARAHPHIM screaming as she’s swept side to side to “aim.”

Current notes on London include “the players must choose whether to challenge a monster that stalks the tunnels below London and claims tribute from the subway-dwellers, a group of magical street artists, a necromancer with a fortified sanctum, or a really ritzy nightclub for turf.”
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-02-22 at 04:13 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

I am having too much fun imagining an out-of-control @SARAHPHIM screaming as she’s swept side to side to “aim.”

Current notes on London include “the players must choose whether to challenge a monster that stalks the tunnels below London and claims tribute from the subway-dwellers, a group of magical street artists, a necromancer with a fortified sanctum, or a really ritzy nightclub for turf.”
    I see potential for at least two of these to be the Court of Miracles, and will honestly be kind of disappointed if none of them are.

28. - Top - End - #238

Right now, Brainstorm is trying to piss Comstar the hell off, knock them off their game, so that they take their attention off Errant and @SARAHPHIM
    6,4, +2. The luck vampire strikes again.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2019-02-22 at 07:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Post tomorrow or day after, have had a fairly eventful weekend. Also, yes I am interested. I'll find a copy of Blades to read through first, before commenting.
    LGBTA+itP